• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pix

Oct 25, 2017
So the Castlevania Anniversary Collection came out today, but before you grab it please do at least consider the following. If you try to play the original Castlevania you might notice an issue with the sound in Stage 2, that's because Konami opted to use the original PRG0 instead of PRG1 revision. PRG1 not only fixes the constant beeping but also sprite overload. This applies to every version (PS4, XBO, Switch and PC) which makes this all the more puzzling considering that Konami got M2 for this collection. Hopefully this gets patched.

Last edited:

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Is this something that happens only in the original game? Or is it widespread throughout the entire package?

If I'm being honest, the little beep in that video really doesn't bother me at all.

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
How do games get all the way through to being published without things like this being caught and corrected? Shaking my head.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's an issue with one music track out of the entire collection.

M2 are gods, so hopefully it's patched.

OP
OP
Pix

Pix

Oct 25, 2017
Is this something that happens only in the original game? Or is it widespread throughout the entire package?

If I'm being honest, the little beep in that video really doesn't bother me at all.
It only happens in the original PRG0 version of the game. Konami used this with every version of this collection.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
Whenever one of these retro collections come out I'm always glad I still have my Wii hooked up to my CRT.

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
It's an issue with one music track out of the entire collection.

M2 are gods, so hopefully it's patched.

Yeah, I've been incredibly sick the last few days so I didn't have the time to get this the second it came out and I was looking at all these tweets and impressions about constant beeping in all the NES games, but it's only one track in one game and it's probably because they used an older version of the rom so you can actually find NES carts with the same issue? Is that right?

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Yes let's all let this little issue keep us from buying the game so Konami doesn't see a reason to release the second volume with the gba/Ds games.

Keep in mind this was an issue on the nes carts back in the day

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
Lack of quality assurance, or at least a very short period of it (which seems to be the case for these).

It's just wacky to me. Something buried deep in one of the last levels of one of the Game Boy games? OK, maybe understandable to miss. But an obvious, recurring audio error in just the second level of the flagship game headlining the whole package? Nuts.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
So with CV1 Konami gave the developer an older version of the game to use? Sounds familiar.

It'll be interesting to see how all of this plays out.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
Does it only affect Castlevania 1 for NES? The title makes it sound like all games in the collection have the issue.

GrayFoxPL

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
M2 doesn't make these kind of mistakes, they're perfectionists.

Something smells fishy here.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Between this and the Arcade Collection, I'm wondering if Konami's more the issue here than Hamster and M2, considering both studios generally do decent work (Though Hamster needs to get their shit together when it comes to input latency and M2 could stand to get some better scanline implementation but I digress)

If the CV1 ROM thing is based off of the initial release, that's even weirder to me, considering M2's the type of company to factor ROM revisions into their emulation projects.

I think those were only in the Xbox version, but I could be wrong.
Just the Xbox version so far. Robin64 had a few clips in the other thread demonstrating the SCIV audio crackling. Edit: PC version too, apparently.

Someone also mentioned getting a soft lock that forced them to exit the game when trying to start one of the games on PS4, but I dunno if that's an isolated incident or not.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can only speak for the Switch version, but here's what I'd suggest. Watch the video in the OP. That's the worst it gets on Switch (and likely all other versions as well, outside of XB1). It appears to be the only track in the entire collection with this glitch. Maybe we'll find out a late stage in Dracula's Curse or some other game has a similar issue as well, but nothing has been reported so far.

If you're ok with that, this collection is worth buying. I'm very pleased with it overall.

If you're not ok with it, wait and see if the upcoming patch fixes it.

OP
OP
Pix

Pix

Oct 25, 2017
Like I said before, The Castlevania Stage 2 sound issues apply to every version. Other versions definitely vary but Xbox One seems to have the most problems.

OP
OP
Pix

Pix

Oct 25, 2017
Between this and the Arcade Collection, I'm wondering if Konami's more the issue here than Hamster and M2, considering both studios generally do decent work (Though Hamster needs to get their shit together when it comes to input latency and M2 could stand to get some better scanline implementation but I digress)

If the CV1 ROM thing is based off of the initial release, that's even weirder to me, considering M2's the type of company to factor ROM revisions into their emulation projects.

Just the Xbox version so far. Robin64 had a few clips in the other thread demonstrating the SCIV audio crackling.

Someone also mentioned getting a soft lock that forced them to exit the game when trying to start one of the games on PS4, but I dunno if that's an isolated incident or not.

PC has audio distortion but can be fixed by by changing Windows 10 default sound settings from 24 bit 48000 to 16 bit 48000 to eliminate distortion.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Holding out for that JP version patch seems to be the way to go for now.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
PC has audio distortion but can be fixed by by changing Windows 10 default sound settings from 24 bit 48000 to 16 bit 48000 to eliminate distortion.

It's probably Windows doing its shitty upsampling and destroying the audio. A friend of mine had a similar problem with Hunt Showdown. You are best to keep it just at 16/44khz.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
well, then... maybe I should just save my pennies for a cart of Bloodlines instead...