• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which is your favorite Classic-vania?

• Castlevania

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Simon's Quest

Votes: 13 6.5%
  • Dracula's Curse

Votes: 37 18.6%
  • Rondo of Blood

Votes: 56 28.1%
  • Bloodlines

Votes: 9 4.5%
  • Super IV

Votes: 54 27.1%
  • A Gameboy Title (say which)

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think for people not into 8-bit gaming Castlevania has to be one of the best introductions aside from something like Mario 3.
Yeah, I would say NES Ninja Gaiden II, Mega Man from II onwards, and Rescue Rangers would fit as well along with SMS games like Wonder Boy III, Shinobi, and Alex Kidd in Shinobi World.

Last edited:

kidnemo

Dec 11, 2017
I personally prefer super castlevania 4 as the best game of the classic series. But I could see how someone would argue either 1 or 3 also. I feel like the NES games play different enough from super that they are essentially completely different games.

Honestly, for me, other than simon's quest, I am pretty happy to be playing any of them. Speaking of which, I still would like to finish this one using one of the rom hacks.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I have an admittedly irrational love for Simon's Quest for a number of reasons. I am not surprised at all by its reputation. I think a person going into the series fresh should definitely give the original a fair shot, however even as a "purist", or whatever, I think the Re-Translation + Map hack does an amazing job of polishing up a flawed and fascinating game.

The map in particular really does a good job at establishing place for the towns and castles. Strongly recommend for anyone who tried and bounced off the original.

1032screenshot1.png
1032screenshot2.png

daevv

Oct 27, 2017
Simon's Quest was the one I played the most on NES. Proud to have actually finished the OG Gameboy one, Castlevania: The Adventure, back in the day too.

OP
OP
henlo_birb

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
I have an admittedly irrational love for Simon's Quest for a number of reasons.
I've seen several people in this thread say something similar like it's "irrational" or "admittedly flawed" or something like that. I don't personally like when there's a sort of established opinion where people feel like they have to preface their enjoyment with a concession or disclaimer.

I haven't played it, so I can't speak for it; but I experienced a similar roadblock with the original Metroid where I saw a LOT of criticism of it online. But when I played it for myself I really found nothing wrong with it. Including starting with 30 energy. It just did not affect my enjoyment of the game, and in some ways enhanced it and made me play much more cautiously/feel the oppressive environment to a higher degree. I was sucked in and very impressed with that experience.

So I really don't know yet about SQ; but I'm excited and have this gut feeling that it's going to be something really special. I may be wrong, but yeah. A lot of people here seem to really like the game.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen several people in this thread say something similar like it's "irrational" or "admittedly flawed" or something like that. I don't personally like when there's a sort of established opinion where people feel like they have to preface their enjoyment with a concession or disclaimer.

I haven't played it, so I can't speak for it; but I experienced a similar roadblock with the original Metroid where I saw a LOT of criticism of it online. But when I played it for myself I really found nothing wrong with it. Including starting with 30 energy. It just did not affect my enjoyment of the game, and in some ways enhanced it and made me play much more cautiously/feel the oppressive environment to a higher degree. I was sucked in and very impressed with that experience.

So I really don't know yet about SQ; but I'm excited and have this gut feeling that it's going to be something really special. I may be wrong, but yeah. A lot of people here seem to really like the game.
FWIW Simon's Quest is much MUCH more obtuse than original Metroid.

Glad to see you are up for taking it head on. Definitely come back with your thoughts, I'd love to hear them.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Simon's Quest is underrated, much like Zelda 2, and unfortunately both suffer from the same main problem, a poor translation that leaves players confused on what to do during pivotal points. The gameplay is solid otherwise.

That said, the Japanese Castlevania 3 is God tier.

Last edited:

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
I choosed Rondo of Blood since it's the only one of the Classicvanias I managed to beat lol.

I started CV1 months ago but I'm still stuck at the Dracula boss fight.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen it mentioned OP, but if you do CV3, do the Japanese version. Difference between fair and balanced but still difficult, and pull your hair out unfair.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
How is the emulation in the Castlevania Anniversary Collection? Do the NES games retain sprite flicker or is that cleaned up via emulation?

Zig6

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago IL
How is the emulation in the Castlevania Anniversary Collection? Do the NES games retain sprite flicker or is that cleaned up via emulation?

I have been playing the Castlevania games via the Anniversary Collection (onto the advanced collection now). I found the emulation to be really solid but I recently did get a mister and tried playing Castlevania on my higher refresh rate LCD and it did feel a bit more responsive.

With regards to sprite flicker, I recall proper sprite flicker and slowdown but it's been a while since I was playing original collection. Dark1x did a video on the collection and you can watch it on youtube here.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I have been playing the Castlevania games via the Anniversary Collection (onto the advanced collection now). I found the emulation to be really solid but I recently did get a mister and tried playing Castlevania on my higher refresh rate LCD and it did feel a bit more responsive.

With regards to sprite flicker, I recall proper sprite flicker and slowdown but it's been a while since I was playing original collection. Dark1x did a video on the collection and you can watch it on youtube here.

Oh, nice! Thanks :)

Palazzo

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing the x68k Castlevania recently and having a good time, though I guess it is mostly a prettier version of the original?

It's not, actually. It seems like a direct remake at first - because the first level is pretty much 1:1 with the NES game - but almost all of the game is original. (It's also one of the best Castlevania games.)

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's not, actually. It seems like a direct remake at first - because the first level is pretty much 1:1 with the NES game - but almost all of the game is original. (It's also one of the best Castlevania games.)
So that is interesting, because it seemed different but similar, but it had been so long since I played the NES version.
Felt more sadistic. Accidentally punching a hole into a flea man dimension while looking for wall meat is just evil.
There are difficulty hacks out there :)

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
So the only actual remake of the series is Dracula X Chronicles?

Palazzo

Oct 25, 2017
So the only actual remake of the series is Dracula X Chronicles?

Yeah. There are multiple Castlevania games that are loosely "retellings" of existing ones (CV4 and X68000, and kind of the MSX game from the NES original, Rebirth from the first Game Boy one) but they're only ostensibly remakes, in that they cover the same story - but the actual game content is completely different; they're actually just sequels.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I like to think of it as Simon getting drunk at the pub and telling different people different stories about how he killed drac the first time