• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Where the Mouse reign supreme?

• Sega's Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (Genesis/Mega Drive)

Votes: 200 58.1%
  • Capcom's The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse (Super NES)

Votes: 144 41.9%

• Total voters

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
haven't played MQ since the SNES days but i have fond memories because it was an early import for our system.

replayed Castle of Illusion last year. Overall pretty good and nothing really offensive about it. but i just hate circus levels. That's why it had no place in my rotation.

also replayed Mickey Mania on PSX. The hardest game on the list with dolby surround sound. The last level is really hard to pass if you don't enable level select and get some training in. It's long but pretty and definitely worth playing.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
The undertones of the console war in a lot of posts is kind of ridiculous/awesome. I, too, fought in those trenches.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Magical Quest simply based on art direction. Both otherwise are just okay. Castle plays a bit better and the levels are a tad bit more thought out.

This isn't like Alladin where one version blows the other one out of the water.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I loved the shit out of MQ1 and 3 when I was a kid.

3 is also the peak, the stages are incredible and Donald is always the GOAT in everything he's in.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I loved the shit out of MQ1 and 3 when I was a kid.

3 is also the peak, the stages are incredible and Donald is always the GOAT in everything he's in.

did you have a Japanese copy or did you play it for the first time on GBA?

i remember the GBA version being weird to play because of the screen size (like Megaman & Bass) but I could be wrong.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
loved magical quest, beat it a few times as a kid, and again a couple years back. I've beaten the sequels as well.

Castle is cool too but I don't have much history with it.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, consoles vs gaming computers has been going on since pretty much the beginning and still exists today. It's the war that never ends.

I'm old enough that I probably encountered as much Atari vs. Intellivision and other early and mid '80s variants as Nintendo vs. Sega.

As for Fantasia on Genesis, that was an enormous disappointment, especially since it was based on my favourite Disney movie.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
did you have a Japanese copy or did you play it for the first time on GBA?

i remember the GBA version being weird to play because of the screen size (like Megaman & Bass) but I could be wrong.

I used to rent a japanese copy, for some reason my SNES played it just fine (maybe it was a bootleg, those were pretty standard here). Never actually owned the game, though.

I bought the GBA version a couple years ago cause I can't find the SNES one for a just price, but haven't played it yet, so can't comment on the port quality.

SuperRaddy

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Castle of Illusion was the 1st game i ever finished when i was a kid on my Megadrive.. Never played or had a SNES.. Therefore Castle of Illusion, that game sucked me in, the graphics and gameplay were fantastic. A Super fine game.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I used to rent a japanese copy, for some reason my SNES played it just fine (maybe it was a bootleg, those were pretty standard here). Never actually owned the game, though.

I bought the GBA version a couple years ago cause I can't find the SNES one for a just price, but haven't played it yet, so can't comment on the port quality.

we had lots of rental places here in the US that had both imports and bootlegs. the imports came with the adapters for the carts.

Also, consoles vs gaming computers has been going on since pretty much the beginning and still exists today. It's the war that never ends.

I'm old enough that I probably encountered as much Atari vs. Intellivision and other early and mid '80s variants as Nintendo vs. Sega.

As for Fantasia on Genesis, that was an enormous disappointment, especially since it was based on my favourite Disney movie.

i feel so weird thinking about the console wars stuff because i always owned all of the major consoles that were rivals? i clearly had my favorites but i still managed to play something on each of them.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i feel so weird thinking about the console wars stuff because i always owned all of the major consoles that were rivals? i clearly had my favorites but i still managed to play something on each of them.
I hear you. We're in the minority that always had both Nintendo and Sega and were lucky to not have to choose sides. It really makes the lengths some people go to defend "their" console or bash the other stand out.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
How come they didn't use that to push the Genesis instead of made up marketing bullshit like Blast Processing? They should've shown how much a game on SNES shows and then how much more you see on Genesis. THAT could've been a huge selling point! It shouldn't have taken me 20 years to notice Genesis games had better resolution!
They did:
16b61db06c103f84b98bcf688888c6d1.jpg

Evidently it didn't work so they moved onto being 'extreme' and attacking Nintendo, which was seemingly successful, creating a tone of console warring the results of which still play out to this day as seen in this thread.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Excuse the invective, but it's slow as shit, feels horrible, barely has any design sensibility to speak of, constantly pauses the game for you to trace stupid fucking patterns with the stylus, and is utterly bereft of challenge. It's insulting that they tried to pass it off as an "...of Illusion" title.

Cheers for the rundown. It's a shame it got caught up with the Epic Mickey crap and didn't end up being a better game.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

Booya_base

Oct 31, 2017
Jersey
Since I literally just played through (and streamed) Castle of Illusion on Master System I can say its definitely not that one that's best :) I remember the Mega Drive one being pretty great though

OP
OP
Temtastic Muns
Apr 19, 2018
Heh, wow, uh..... the thread certainly went places. Still, nothing triggers nostalgia quite like the 16-bit console wars of yesteryear. =)

As for the topic on hand, as mentioned, I do love and appreciate both games. Both are solid platformers in their own right, and I find that each excels at certain areas more than the other.

Graphically, Magical Quest is, by most counts, the superior of the two. As Hayama Akito mentioned, it is a beautiful looking game; from the first stage's lush greenery vines and billowy clouds, the Fire Grotto's fiery waterfall backdrops and molten-lava cooled platforms, to the Snowy Valley's glassy ice cliffs, Magical Quest still remains a looker to this day. One area where the graphics excel in Castle of Illusion, however, as JayCeeJim mentioned, is in Mickey's animations. He's far more expressive in Illusion, with several more frames of animation when he's walking around, or even when he's swaying to and fro during his standing pose. The extra opportunities for graphical variety, like when he goes into his ducking position, prepares for a butt-bounce, or stands perilously on the tip of a ledge, really do add more personality to the character.

In terms of gameplay, Magical Quest also feels like the better of the two. As jett and EarthPainting stated, Castle of Illusion can be construed as slow and basic -- and as Treasure Silvergun also mentions, the sluggier moving Mickey can feel inertia-inducing at times. Magical Quest feels tighter and offers more gameplay variety with its grab 'n toss mechanic, coupled with the costume switching system. You have no idea how much I always looked forward to getting to the Pete's Peak stage, and utilizing Mickey's Bionic Commando-style mountaineering skills. I would have loved an entire MM game built on this mechanic alone.

When it comes to the music, however, Castle of Illusion is the clear-cut winner. Every stage is bursting with catchy melodies: The Enchanted Forest, Toy Land, and, my personal favorite, the epic-driven Storm. It's the boss theme, though, that left the most indelible impression on me. It's a fairly simple piece of music, but its frenetic pace and adrenaline-driving final part is so, so memorable:

View: https://youtu.be/4u5NMJKJgV0

---
In the end, while it seems like Magical Quest should win out, I've gotta give the edge to Castle of Illusion. True, Illusion's gameplay may be more rudimentary, and it doesn't look quite as good visually, but when it comes to making up the better part of my fondest gaming memories, it's unmatched. That excellent music score plays a huge part, but just playing through the game again and hitting those moments -- butt-bouncing off of that first enemy mushroom, fighting the rolling oak tree boss, hitting that reverse-polarity switch in Toy Land and insta-killing those toy soldiers and unicycle-riding clowns, entering the bottle of milk in the middle of the Library stage and being transported to that crazy colorful Dessert Land sub-level, and using the six Infinity Stones Seven Gems of the Rainbow to cross over to the final fight against a formidable Mizrabel -- it's pure joy.

As for the other versions of the game, I had played the SMS port a number of times, and as its own entity, I certainly enjoyed it. The 2013 remake was also a decent re-imagining, though the controls were a little loose for my taste, and I was let down by the newly arranged score. Neither version featured the Genesis' boss battle theme, which was disappointing.

And Zero83, as for your inquiry if the original Mega Drive/Genesis version is available on current hardware, the only time I remember the game being available as such was as a PS3-exclusive DLC pre-order bonus when the 2013 remake first came out. Sadly, that DLC doesn't appear to be available nowadays, so it seems your best bet is when the upcoming MD/Genesis Mini hits, as Seven Force mentioned.

Last edited:

skaertus

Aug 16, 2020
Heh, wow, uh..... the thread certainly went places. Still, nothing triggers nostalgia quite like the 16-bit console wars of yesteryear. =)

As for the topic on hand, as mentioned, I do love and appreciate both games. Both are solid platformers in their own right, and I find that each excels at certain areas more than the other.

I am kind of resurrecting this year-old post, but I could not help myself. I have recently joined the forum and this topic is about two of my all-time favorite 16-bit games. They are both unique and excellent games, and I think they are two of the best Mickey Mouse games of all time, to be released in any console.

When Castle of Illusion was released back in 1990, there was nothing like it. It was released in Japan in November 21, 1990, which is exactly the same day as the Super Famicom came out. This release date was probably chosen because Sega knew that it had a special weapon to challenge the Nintendo 16-bit console. It was released in the U.S. in December 1990, before anyone else outside of Japan could put their hands on a Super NES.

Castle of Illusion was groundbreaking, especially being an early Sega Genesis game and fitting in only a 4 Megabit cart. The player could feel like being in the shoes of Mickey Mouse, as graphics were so realistic for the time. And it was Mickey (yes!), in a quality videogame. It was the first time a game captured the magic of Disney, and it was so special because most games at the time still had a lot of rough edges.

Sega would only release Sonic the Hedgehog in June 1991, and it would largely follow Castle of Illusion's recipe for what a good platform game should be. But, before there was Sonic, and given that Alex Kidd for Genesis was sort of a disappointment, Mickey was Sega's Mario.

The Magical Quest is a whole different story. It did not break any new grounds. The Magical Quest was released in Japan, quite interestingly, in November 20, 1992, missing by only one day the two year anniversary of Castle of Illusion. It was a great game, for sure, but these two years made a huge difference in terms of the videogame landscape.

The world had already become acquainted with Super Mario World and its many levels. Sega had released Sonic the Hedgehog in 1991, showing how fast and cartoonish 16-bit games might be. The SNES already had 16-bit versions of classic games such as Contra, Castlevania, Prince of Persia, and Double Dragon. TMNT IV: Turtles in Time had been released for the SNES in mid-1992, showing that Nintendo's console could also have colorful cartoonish graphics. Sega had made Ecco the Dolphin for the Genesis. Nintendo had brought Mario Kart to the SNES. And, of course, there was the mighty Street Fighter II, the first 16 Megabit game.

By the end of 1992, many other games were scheduled to be released. Sega would launch the much-hyped Sonic the Hedgehog 2 in November 21, 1992, just one day after The Magical Quest. And it would also release World of Illusion (featuring both Mickey and Donald) and Streets of Rage 2 (the first 16 Megabit cart for Genesis) in December 1992. Konami would bring TMNT to the Genesis also by the end of the year. SNES would get a fast-paced cartoonish game featuring Road Runner and a first game featuring Tiny Toon characters. And, in February 1993, a mere three months away, Star Fox would debut the Super FX chip to take the SNES to new 3D heights.

In addition to al of this, there was Mortal Kombat on the Arcades to take everyone's breath away.

So, The Magical Quest, as good as it might have been, could never have the same impact as Castle of Illusion. It was a very quality game in the middle of several other very quality games. In the end, The Magical Quest may be a better game, especially given how the industry evolved, but the sense of ambiance of Castle of Illusion is unmatched.

, Magical Quest is, by most counts, the superior of the two. As Hayama Akito mentioned, it is a beautiful looking game; from the first stage's lush greenery vines and billowy clouds, the Fire Grotto's fiery waterfall backdrops and molten-lava cooled platforms, to the Snowy Valley's glassy ice cliffs, Magical Quest still remains a looker to this day. One area where the graphics excel in Castle of Illusion, however, as JayCeeJim mentioned, is in Mickey's animations. He's far more expressive in Illusion, with several more frames of animation when he's walking around, or even when he's swaying to and fro during his standing pose. The extra opportunities for graphical variety, like when he goes into his ducking position, prepares for a butt-bounce, or stands perilously on the tip of a ledge, really do add more personality to the character.

The Magical Quest has better graphics. The backgrounds are gorgeous, and Capcom makes very good use of SNES colors. The stages seem like they were taken out of a cartoon. Mickey itself looks good, although, as mentioned, not very animated.

Castle of Illusion features a very animated Mickey Mouse, perhaps with his face a little off-white. But still, many frames of animation. As for the backgrounds, they seem more abstract and less complex than the ones in Magical Quest, but they add another dimension. They are of a darker tone and bring some sense of danger. In The Magical Quest, scenarios look friendly and colorful for the most part, but in Castle of Illusion some of them seem like taken from nightmares which somewhat contrasts with Mickey's happy face.

I overall agree that Magical Quest has better graphics and both add a lot to the respective games.

In terms of gameplay, Magical Quest also feels like the better of the two. As jett and EarthPainting stated, Castle of Illusion can be construed as slow and basic -- and as Treasure Silvergun also mentions, the sluggier moving Mickey can feel inertia-inducing at times. Magical Quest feels tighter and offers more gameplay variety with its grab 'n toss mechanic, coupled with the costume switching system. You have no idea how much I always looked forward to getting to the Pete's Peak stage, and utilizing Mickey's Bionic Commando-style mountaineering skills. I would have loved an entire MM game built on this mechanic alone.

Castle of Illusion has great gameplay. But Magical Quest is simply better and faster. Controls respond better, and the experience is overall better.

When it comes to the music, however, Castle of Illusion is the clear-cut winner. Every stage is bursting with catchy melodies: The Enchanted Forest, Toy Land, and, my personal favorite, the epic-driven Storm. It's the boss theme, though, that left the most indelible impression on me. It's a fairly simple piece of music, but its frenetic pace and adrenaline-driving final part is so, so memorable:

As for the music, Castle of Illusion has perhaps one of the best soundtracks of the 16-bit era. It sounds like taking a walk in Disneyland. The music, together with the fairy tale graphics, contribute to a unique experience. The music in the Magical Quest is also great, it is not just as magical. I would put it this way: the music in the Magical Quest seems like taken from a Disney short cartoon of the 1940s; but the music in Castle of Illusion seems like taken from a Disney classic.

While Castle of Illusion's music is better composed, Magical Quest's is better executed. The sound capabilities of the SNES seem to me as are clearly superior. But, even with all the technicalities counting in favor of the SNES, the music of Castle of Illusion is unmatched.

In the end, while it seems like Magical Quest should win out, I've gotta give the edge to Castle of Illusion. True, Illusion's gameplay may be more rudimentary, and it doesn't look quite as good visually, but when it comes to making up the better part of my fondest gaming memories, it's unmatched. That excellent music score plays a huge part, but just playing through the game again and hitting those moments -- butt-bouncing off of that first enemy mushroom, fighting the rolling oak tree boss, hitting that reverse-polarity switch in Toy Land and insta-killing those toy soldiers and unicycle-riding clowns, entering the bottle of milk in the middle of the Library stage and being transported to that crazy colorful Dessert Land sub-level, and using the six Infinity Stones Seven Gems of the Rainbow to cross over to the final fight against a formidable Mizrabel -- it's pure joy.

It is really a close call for me. The Magical Quest should win, but it sounds unfair as Castle of Illusion was released two years earlier. Castle of Illusion was the pinnacle of games in 1990 and stood out as unique and even revolutionary, an absolute number one at the time. The Magical Quest was top-notch in 1992, but perhaps an entry in the Top 10 of the year.

As for the other versions of the game, I had played the SMS port a number of times, and as its own entity, I certainly enjoyed it. The 2013 remake was also a decent re-imagining, though the controls were a little loose for my taste, and I was let down by the newly arranged score. Neither version featured the Genesis' boss battle theme, which was disappointing.

Castle of Illusion for Master System was great, and stands on its own. I could say its gameplay is even better than the Sega Genesis version. It reminds me of Duck Tales for the NES in terms of gameplay.

Last edited:

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I am kind of resurrecting this year-old post, but I could not help myself. I have recently joined the forum and this topic is about two of my all-time favorite 16-bit games. They are both unique and excellent games, and I think they are two of the best Mickey Mouse games of all time, to be released in any console.

When Castle of Illusion was released back in 1990, there was nothing like it. It was released in Japan in November 21, 1990, which is exactly the same day as the Super Famicom came out. This release date was probably chosen because Sega knew that it had a special weapon to challenge the Nintendo 16-bit console. It was released in the U.S. in December 1990, before anyone else outside of Japan could put their hands on a Super NES.

Castle of Illusion was groundbreaking, especially being an early Sega Genesis game and fitting in only a 4 Megabit cart. The player could feel like being in the shoes of Mickey Mouse, as graphics were so realistic for the time. And it was Mickey (yes!), in a quality videogame. It was the first time a game captured the magic of Disney, and it was so special because most games at the time still had a lot of rough edges.

Sega would only release Sonic the Hedgehog in June 1991, and it would largely follow Castle of Illusion's recipe for what a good platform game should be. But, before there was Sonic, and given that Alex Kidd for Genesis was sort of a disappointment, Mickey was Sega's Mario.

The Magical Quest is a whole different story. It did not break any new grounds. The Magical Quest was released in Japan, quite interestingly, in November 20, 1992, missing by only one day the two year anniversary of Castle of Illusion. It was a great game, for sure, but these two years made a huge difference in terms of the videogame landscape.

The world had already become acquainted with Super Mario World and its many levels. Sega had released Sonic the Hedgehog in 1991, showing how fast and cartoonish 16-bit games might be. The SNES already had 16-bit versions of classic games such as Contra, Castlevania, Prince of Persia, and Double Dragon. TMNT IV: Turtles in Time had been released for the SNES in mid-1992, showing that Nintendo's console could also have colorful cartoonish graphics. Sega had made Ecco the Dolphin for the Genesis. Nintendo had brought Mario Kart to the SNES. And, of course, there was the mighty Street Fighter II, the first 16 Megabit game.

By the end of 1992, many other games were scheduled to be released. Sega would launch the much-hyped Sonic the Hedgehog 2 in November 21, 1992, just one day after The Magical Quest. And it would also release World of Illusion (featuring both Mickey and Donald) and Streets of Rage 2 (the first 16 Megabit cart for Genesis) in December 1992. Konami would bring TMNT to the Genesis also by the end of the year. SNES would get a fast-paced cartoonish game featuring Road Runner and a first game featuring Tiny Toon characters. And, in February 1993, a mere three months away, Star Fox would debut the Super FX chip to take the SNES to new 3D heights.

In addition to al of this, there was Mortal Kombat on the Arcades to take everyone's breath away.

So, The Magical Quest, as good as it might have been, could never have the same impact as Castle of Illusion. It was a very quality game in the middle of several other very quality games. In the end, The Magical Quest may be a better game, especially given how the industry evolved, but the sense of ambiance of Castle of Illusion is unmatched.

The Magical Quest has better graphics. The backgrounds are gorgeous, and Capcom makes very good use of SNES colors. The stages seem like they were taken out of a cartoon. Mickey itself looks good, although, as mentioned, not very animated.

Castle of Illusion features a very animated Mickey Mouse, perhaps with his face a little off-white. But still, many frames of animation. As for the backgrounds, they seem more abstract and less complex than the ones in Magical Quest, but they add another dimension. They are of a darker tone and bring some sense of danger. In The Magical Quest, scenarios look friendly and colorful for the most part, but in Castle of Illusion some of them seem like taken from nightmares which somewhat contrasts with Mickey's happy face.

I overall agree that Magical Quest has better graphics and both add a lot to the respective games.

Great post.

I got Castle of Illusion Christmas of 1990. After playing stuff like Mickey Mousecapade, it felt like a revelation. Even Ducktales, which I got the Christmas prior, felt like a Capcom game with a Disney license. Castle of Illusion was the first Disney licensed game that actually nailed the feeling of the classic cartoons, probably due to how dark and eerie the game's art direction goes in some places. It may feel a bit antiquated now, but I think once you get the hang of Mickey's movement and jumps-- it remains a wholly unique game. World of Illusion as a sequel doesn't compare imho.

skaertus

Aug 16, 2020

Thank you!

I got Castle of Illusion Christmas of 1990. After playing stuff like Mickey Mousecapade, it felt like a revelation. Even Ducktales, which I got the Christmas prior, felt like a Capcom game with a Disney license. Castle of Illusion was the first Disney licensed game that actually nailed the feeling of the classic cartoons, probably due to how dark and eerie the game's art direction goes in some places. It may feel a bit antiquated now, but I think once you get the hang of Mickey's movement and jumps-- it remains a wholly unique game. World of Illusion as a sequel doesn't compare imho.

I got Castle of Illusion for Master System in July 1991 (I guess), and it was something else at the time. Duck Tales was a great platform game with Disney characters, but Castle of Illusion, even on an 8-bit console, had superior graphics and music. The gameplay of both was very similar, and Castle of Illusion for Master System seems to have copied the mechanics of Duck Tales to a great extent. But the real difference was that Castle of Illusion brought a whole different feeling.

The Sega Genesis version was something else entirely. I never had a copy of it, but I used to play at a friend's house. The gameplay is different from the Master System version, and the graphics create a different sense of immersion. It was truly unique.

World of Illusion followed the recipe of Castle of Illusion but doesn't scratch the surface. It has beautiful graphics, but which do not create the same effect. The music is fine, but far from being remarkable. I remember that World of Illusion was released at about the same time as Magical Quest. World of Illusion had beautiful sprites, and Mickey and Donald had several frames of animation that actually resembled the characters. The Magical Quest had a far more static Mickey, but the colorful backgrounds really stood out, especially compared to how bland the ones in World of Illusion looked like. The music in Magical Quest was also both better composed and executed than the one in World of Illusion. And the gameplay in World of Illusion was just OK. It looked great in principle, but it failed to achieve the same heights as Castle of Illusion.

In my view, Castle of Illusion and Magical Quest are the two best 16-bit appearances of Mickey Mouse, each being unique in its own terms. World of Illusion is OK. And the sequels to Magical Quest are good, but the original is better.