• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Where the Mouse reign supreme?

• Sega's Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (Genesis/Mega Drive)

Votes: 200 58.1%
  • Capcom's The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse (Super NES)

Votes: 144 41.9%

• Total voters

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Worst visuals, worse color contrast, worse music, worse resolution. Whatever extra bells and whistles don't balance out all the compromises they made to port it to GBA.

Well, I'll have to give the SNES version a try plus replay Castle of Illusion for comparison and report back with my enlightened findings.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Don't want to derail the thread. But the thing that stands out the most to me with this and the Aladdin thread is how bad the SNES sound aged. Specially in compositions like the ones in these Capcom games, which are really "full" of simultaneous instruments at once, most of them trumpet-like. The low-fi (and slightly off-key) samples are so grating to my ears, that I can't stand it for more than a few minutes.

The FM Genesis music, on the other hand, while humbler, sounds much cleaner.

That's as much a Capcom issue as anything else, IMO--Capcom put out plenty of great SNES games with great music but the sound design and programming in general could be really shoddy.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
As for the question at hand... Magical Quest, I guess, but I don't think either game's very interesting. They're just too simple.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Not just that game but many others too. Lion King on SNES sounds and looks better in every way than the Genesis version but for some reason the Genesis game displays at a higher resolution than the SNES and that blew my mind when I noticed that a few years ago. What gives? The snes was supposed to be a technically superior console in every way possible other than MHZ.
You've been reading too many Nintendo Power magazines.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I picked up the PC version of CoI for about $3 on Steam a couple days back. Might still be on sale.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I like the 8-Bit version of Castle of Illusion way better than the 16-bit one on SEGA Genesis (and subsequent titles Land and Legend of Illusion also got a pretty nice feel to play). But Magical Quest is consistently good across the whole trilogy imo; .. maybe the weakest was the first one, but still a good game. But it's not really super fair with World of Illusion, being a very primitive platformer in comparison too.

... Mickey games only tended to get better than the previous; Mickey Mania being one my favorites

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Mickey Mania would have been a good game if it only had good controls, good jumping, and good hit detection.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
It was also two years younger than the Genesis and also more expensive. I thought it was pretty well known fact that it was the technically superior console at almost everything.
The only technical advvantages the SNES had over the MD was the number of colors on screen (256 vs 32) from a 32756 palette of colors (versus 512).

It also had some hardware rotation/zoom features through its fabled mode 7.

On the other hand it had a far weaker CPU, a different kind of sound processor (sample based versus FM synthesis so it's not a matter of one beeing stronger than the other but one beeing different with different kinds of programming) and heavily relied on coprocessors inside carts to do some heavy lifting for it

It also had a lower standard resolution (256*224 versus 320*240/256 depending on NTSC or PAL modes), worse srpites handling, worse paralax scroling abilities and till people knew a few tricks games were either slow or marred by slowdowns (Capcom and Konami games beeing at the forefront of those issues since they made the blunt of early arcade games).

One isn't heads and shoulders above the other one as you so adamantly claim because it's easy to find areas in which the SNES absolutely gets trounced by the Megadrive.

Now, are you done derailing?

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The only technical advvantages the SNES had over the MD was the number of colors on screen (256 vs 32) from a 32756 palette of colors (versus 512).

On the other hand it had a far weaker CPU, a different kind of sound processor (sample based versus FM synthesis so it's not a matter of one beeing stronger than the other but one beeing different with different kinds of programming) and heavily relied on coprocessors inside carts to do some heavy lifting for it

It also had a lower standard resolution (256*224 versus 320*240/256 depending on NTSC or PAL modes), worse srpites handling, worse paralax scroling abilities and till people knew a few tricks games were either slow or marred by slowdowns (Capcom and Konami games beeing at the forefront of those issues since they made the blunt of early arcade games).

One isn't heads and shoulders above the other one as you so adamantly claim because it's easy to find areas in which the SNES absolutely gets trounced by the Megadrive.

SNES had a hi-res mode (512x448), not too many games used it, but it's there. It also had 5 graphic layers, transparencies, and 8 sound channels. Funny you left all that out.

The CPU wasn't "far weaker", it was slower, but more advanced. Relying on co-processors is not a bad thing, because at the end all you care is how the games look and they looked better 99.9% of the time.

But you're right, please stop derailing the thread.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
SNES had a hi-res mode (512x448), not too many games used it, but it's there. It also had 5 graphic layers, transparencies, and 8 sound channels. Funny you left all that out.

The CPU wasn't "far weaker", it was slower, but more advanced. Relying on co-processors is not a bad thing, because at the end all you care is how the games look and they looked better 99.9% of the time.

But you're right, please stop derailing the thread.
Both systems had hi res modes that were barely used (Sonic 2 is a prime example). Adding those modes is rather pointless because they had their shortcomings which made them impractical in the end.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
No, there are several games that play in 512 mode during gameplay, such as RPM Racing, several Japanese sports games and RPGs.

Menus is hardly taxing gameplay so that just leaves RPM Racing which sacrifices colours for it. Bringing up the rarely used SNES 512 mode (which has massive drawbacks outside of title screens and menus) in response to someone bringing up the superior resolution of many Mega Drive games is a bit misleading.

Oct 25, 2017
I like the two Genesis Illusion games, but I'm not the biggest fan of the games around; they're good, but other games are better. Compared to the Magical Quest series, though, Castle of Illusion's easily better! The Magical Quest games have great graphics, but I've never liked the gameplay anywhere near as much as the visuals; I don't know, they just feel kind of easy and bland, sort of like another SNES Capcom Disney game, Aladdin. I get bored playing Magical Quest games. I have all three of the Magical Quest games on SNES, and they're fine, above average games, but Castle of Illusion is better where it matters -- better controls, gameplay, and level designs. Castle of Illusion's a good classic platformer that's well worth playing. Magical Quest looks better, but doesn't play better. Oh, and I like World of Illusion more than the first game; it's probably the best Mickey game on either console. (Mickey Mania is pretty good too, particularly on Sega CD, but the Illusion games probably have slightly better gameplay.)

As for the 8-bit Illusion games, the first two are alright, average to good games, but the third I don't like much at all. It's typical Aspect stuff, and I don't like how most of their GG games play. Even just looking at the first two I like the Genesis games more, but sure, they're good.

The SNES is a newer console than the Genesis, and while a case can be made for the Genesis to be as good as it in terms of hardware power, I think the SNES does clearly win out. I don't mean that in terms of game quality -- I like the two of them equally, they're both amazing -- and with its addons the Genesis arguably wins in power, but comparing just base consoles? Sure, the Genesis is a faster system with twice the CPU speed and a higher screen resolution, and yeah it has better sprite handling, but but the SNES's advantages, in its newer technology (more advanced chips), much larger color palette support, and something you don't mention but is quite important, transparency support, are pretty huge. Transparencies and color are a big deal! The SNES also can do fantastic parallax. When optimized properly SNES games can run plenty fast, too, and they often look better than Genesis games thanks to having more colors on screen and a much larger palette. And of course Mode 7 is a nice thing; you can get close to some aspects of Mode 7 with the Genesis, with clever programming, but it's not quite as good. Based only on the base consoles I do think the newer SNES wins out on graphics. As for sound, the SNES's sample-based sound chip was fairly new technology at the time, so it's a more advanced design than the simpler audio chip the Genesis uses. I do think the Genesis is usually better at some kinds of sound, such as techno-style electronic stuff (which I quite like), so choosing which is better is hard, but the SNES's is more technically advanced, at least.

Oh, and as for the Genesis's resolution advantage, it is quite real but whether it's important or not depends on the game. I mean, a game designed for the SNES isn't necesarially improved by going to the higher resolution of the Genesis. On the other hand, Genesis games ported to SNES often do lose something, as important things may be off screen...

It is tricky, though -- after all, one other thing about the SNES is that like the NES, it was designed for addon chips to be in carts to give games a boost over the base specs. The base SNES can do some really impressive things, but it does more with addon chips... but Sega took a different route, with games that almost never use addon chips but instead releasing hardware addons instead (Sega CD, 32X). The SNES did have one addon, the Satellaview, but that didn't have any graphical boosts in it, only streaming games and streaming live audio support. Comparing only base consoles, with no SNES addon chips, isn't really fair because the SNES was designed or addon chips and lots of games use them. But if that also counts hardware addons, the Sega CD and 32X added a lot to the Genesis, and their games can be pretty powerful -- both support hardware scaling and rotation on sprites, the 32X supports more colors than SNES, the 32X can do way more polygons than even the best SNES addon chip, etc.

So yeah, it's a tricky subject. They're so different it's not a question which will probably ever have a definite consensus answer.

Last edited:

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
The Magical Quest and it's not even close. I used to play that game with my grandma all the time before she died, and it's such a huge part of my childhood that it was one of the first SNES games I bought when I started gathering retro games and consoles.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I like the two Genesis Illusion games, but I'm not the biggest fan of the games around; they're good, but other games are better. Compared to the Magical Quest series, though, Castle of Illusion's easily better! The Magical Quest games have great graphics, but I've never liked the gameplay anywhere near as much as the visuals; I don't know, they just feel kind of easy and bland, sort of like another SNES Capcom Disney game, Aladdin. I get bored playing Magical Quest games. I have all three of the Magical Quest games on SNES, and they're fine, above average games, but Castle of Illusion is better where it matters -- better controls, gameplay, and level designs. Castle of Illusion's a good classic platformer that's well worth playing. Magical Quest looks better, but doesn't play better. Oh, and I like World of Illusion more than the first game; it's probably the best Mickey game on either console. (Mickey Mania is pretty good too, particularly on Sega CD, but the Illusion games probably have slightly better gameplay.)

As for the 8-bit Illusion games, the first two are alright, average to good games, but the third I don't like much at all. It's typical Aspect stuff, and I don't like how most of their GG games play. Even just looking at the first two I like the Genesis games more, but sure, they're good.

The SNES is a newer console than the Genesis, and while a case can be made for the Genesis to be as good as it in terms of hardware power, I think the SNES does clearly win out. I don't mean that in terms of game quality -- I like the two of them equally, they're both amazing -- and with its addons the Genesis arguably wins in power, but comparing just base consoles? Sure, the Genesis is a faster system with twice the CPU speed and a higher screen resolution, and yeah it has better sprite handling, but but the SNES's advantages, in its newer technology (more advanced chips), much larger color palette support, and something you don't mention but is quite important, transparency support, are pretty huge. Transparencies and color are a big deal! The SNES also can do fantastic parallax. When optimized properly SNES games can run plenty fast, too, and they often look better than Genesis games thanks to having more colors on screen and a much larger palette. And of course Mode 7 is a nice thing; you can get close to some aspects of Mode 7 with the Genesis, with clever programming, but it's not quite as good. Based only on the base consoles I do think the newer SNES wins out on graphics. As for sound, the SNES's sample-based sound chip was fairly new technology at the time, so it's a more advanced design than the simpler audio chip the Genesis uses. I do think the Genesis is usually better at some kinds of sound, such as techno-style electronic stuff (which I quite like), so choosing which is better is hard, but the SNES's is more technically advanced, at least.

Oh, and as for the Genesis's resolution advantage, it is quite real but whether it's important or not depends on the game. I mean, a game designed for the SNES isn't necesarially improved by going to the higher resolution of the Genesis. On the other hand, Genesis games ported to SNES often do lose something, as important things may be off screen...

It is tricky, though -- after all, one other thing about the SNES is that like the NES, it was designed for addon chips to be in carts to give games a boost over the base specs. The base SNES can do some really impressive things, but it does more with addon chips... but Sega took a different route, with games that almost never use addon chips but instead releasing hardware addons instead (Sega CD, 32X). The SNES did have one addon, the Satellaview, but that didn't have any graphical boosts in it, only streaming games and streaming live audio support. Comparing only base consoles, with no SNES addon chips, isn't really fair because the SNES was designed or addon chips and lots of games use them. But if that also counts hardware addons, the Sega CD and 32X added a lot to the Genesis, and their games can be pretty powerful -- both support hardware scaling and rotation on sprites, the 32X supports more colors than SNES, the 32X can do way more polygons than even the best SNES addon chip, etc.

So yeah, it's a tricky subject. They're so different it's not a question which will probably ever have a definite consensus answer.
This is what a base Megadrive can do

This is the SFX based version (released on the same day)

As far as "raw" power goes.. well... So you see it's all about perspective, which kind of games are we talking about? which kind of rendering? The SNES was an amazing system, I own 3 different units, but so was the Megadrive.

As for sampling based sound processors, Paula was there 6 years before the SNES

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Awww man, I love them both a LOT, but I'm gonna give this to Magical Quest just for having more variety and originality.
Castle of Illusion is still one of the best Mickey Mouse games in existence though.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna have to go with Castle of Illusion. I love the visuals and the ideas behind the Capcom games but they do feel a little slow paced and boring, so I think Castle edges Magical Quest out.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
You forgot the superior Castle of Illusion Master System version!
A completely different game to the Mega Drive/Genesis version, it has more inspiration from titles like Ducktales and Rescue Rangers and it's brilliant!

I'd say it's between that or Magical Quest, both are great in their own way imo.

Ryouji Gunblade

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
California
Magical Quest was awesome in almost every regard. I got a real sense of adventure and progression that even the Mario games of that time didn't offer as much of.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Sometimes I feel like the only one that played both CoI (SMS version first) and prefer the MD version :P

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
I'm not super into into the 16 bit Castle of Illusion or Magical Quest all that much. Castle of Illusion is on the simple side, and desperately needed a gimmick and/or more interesting level design. The Magical Quest has both, but unfortunately it's arse-ache to play, and struggles to do interesting things with its mechanics. If I had to pick one of them, I'd go for the latter, but both kinda felt like they were made on auto-pilot.

You forgot the superior Castle of Illusion Master System version!
A completely different game to the Mega Drive/Genesis version, it has more inspiration from titles like Ducktales and Rescue Rangers and it's brilliant!

I'd say it's between that or Magical Quest, both are great in their own way imo.

Hell yeah. I love the Master System and Game Gear Mickey games. I also completely agree that they feel like the Ducktales and Rescue Rangers.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Castle of Illusion Master System/Game Gear > Castle of Illusion Genesis > Magical Quest, though

Came here for this.
Master System / Game Gear Mickey is the best.

The whole apple shooting mechanic of the Megadrive version really spoils it, and the strong emphasis on picking up objects on MS/GG makes combat and puzzles feel unified.

I had both GG and MD at the time, and I always prefer the GG version. Such a great game.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
This is the actual GOAT Sega 8-bit Disney game if you ask me

LuckyDimeCaper-SMS-EU.jpg

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Castle of Illusion.

The Capcom game looks great but I always thought it played a little clunky. Not Fantasia clunky(!) but not as fluid as it could be.

RetroCCN

Oct 26, 2017
Both Castle of Illusion games are great. I remember liking Magical Quest a ton back when it first came out but I have never been able to get back into it. Something about it just bores me. It's pretty to look at, though. But then, so is Mickey Mania, and that's a steaming pile.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Magical Quest was better then and holds up even better now.

Im guessing more people played the Mega Drive one though. So thus....

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Easy as pie. Magical Quest and it's not a contest. I played Castle of Illusion when the (very good) remake came out and hoo boy, the inertia and collisions are something straight out of Ice Climber.

Disney games by Capcom were always the superior ones.
I remember liking Quackshot a lot, but generally speaking Capcom's Disney games had impeccable gameplay even when they were ridiculously easy (ie, almost every time). I'll take tight controls and pixel-perfect collisions over presentation every time. Genesis Mickey games often suffered from gameplay issues. CoI and Fantasia especially.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah, Fantasia is ultimate trash unfortunately. What a waste of a license.

Magical Quest is a little too dull and stiff for me. I do like it a good deal, but not enough to replay them regularly like I do most SEGA Disney games. I am actually not even sure if I have ever beaten Magical Quest 3 honestly.

The REAL fight would be Quackshot vs DuckTales. That is one where I would seriously have trouble picking one.

Here is a pretty good comparison between the two versions of Magical Quest 2. I am honestly shocked how close they are.

I wish Capcom ported more of their games back then. Mega Man X would have been awesome on the Genesis, but imagine how intense a SEGA CD version might've been!

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Regarding the 8-bit games, I will say that for as good as Castle of Illusion turned out to be, most of Sega's other 8-bit Mickey/Donald games are middling at best.

Ricky64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Mickey Mania = Quackshot > World of Illusion > Castle of Illusion > Magical Quest

I still love magical quest and stopped adding games because with the amount of titles you could make a 30 minutes youtube video.

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I really like Magical Quest but Castle of Illusion was a revelation when it came out. I also have a soft spot for that trilogy of COI, WOI and Quackshot. I don't think we got the other Magical Quest games in the US.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
The only SNES Capcom Disney game I like is Goof Troop.

I tried to play through Magical Quest about a year ago and.... just thoroughly bored. Played through the Genesis version of Magical Quest 2 and Castle of Illusion in the last few days and... again, even Magical Quest 2 isn't as good.

Look! The Pie!

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I really liked them both. In fact, it'd be a far easier choice for me if I could pick the Master System version of CoI; always enjoyed it so much more than the Mega Drive version for some reason. Even better than that, though, was...

I want to take the opportunity to pine for what is, in my opinion, the best Mickey platformer of the 8-16 bit era: Land of Illusion for the Master System.

It's a mixture of level-based platforming with metroidvania sensibilities, where you need to get new items and backtrack if you want to get to the good ending. It also looks and sounds incredible.

Probably my favorite game on the Master System, bar none.

This guy/gal gets it. Just a wonderful game with fantastically varied level design. Having to go back to previous levels was mindblowing to me at the time.