• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Judging by the picture it looks like it was mostly the algae growing on the manatee's back that was scraped off. Hopefully, the manatee will not suffer from any negative health affects and their back heals quickly.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I friggin' LOVE manatees.

HotInsecureHeterodontosaurus-size_restricted.gif
Holy crap they're cute

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
Fucking disgusting but not surprising his cult would abuse animals too.

Hopefully the manatee hasn't continued to suffer from this. They are such gentle and peaceful creatures.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
thehill.com

Federal officials investigating after video shows 'Trump' written on manatee's back

Officials with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife are reportedly investigating after a manatee in Florida was found with the president's name written on its back.

This video shows it a little better- looks like there are finger marks in the scraping, and you can see the color difference between the cleared skin where the letters are and the exposed skin. This makes me even more sure that this was just someone scraping the gunk off its back, and those aren't scar marks. The harassment is still prosecutable though, so hopefully they find the person and make an example of them.

Edit: I can't find any source from Fish and Wildlife that specifically calls this anything more than a "scrape", so I think talking about the "scarring" is a bit of media exaggeration/telephone from people who don't have much experience with manatees. Scars on manatee skin are much whiter- here is a link to a US FWS article about using scar patterns to identify manatees (nothing gory or anything): https://www.fws.gov/news/blog/index.cfm/2016/3/30/The-Stories-Told-by-Manatee-Scars

This is really reassuring to read, honestly. I'm hoping that you're right and the manatee didn't suffer any physical pain or discomfort from something like this.

The Slothful

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely vile. Manatees are incredibly friendly, docile, vulnerable creatures and have enough problems with humans as it is- ship strikes alone cause a quarter of their deaths. Docile or aggressive, to deliberately harm an animal is another level entirely.

Anyone who felt comfortable enough to do this has likely hurt or killed animals in the past and will do so in the future. Multiple studies show that people who engage in these kinds of acts are significantly more likely to inflict domestic abuse, child abuse, and become serial killers. I really hope they find the person soon.

Despite shit like this, there are a lot of wonderful people out there actively trying to help manatees, like the people at www.savethemanatee.org.

Mar 30, 2019
Absolutely vile. Manatees are incredibly friendly, docile, vulnerable creatures and have enough problems with humans as it is- ship strikes alone cause a quarter of their deaths. Docile or aggressive, to deliberately harm an animal is another level entirely.

Anyone who felt comfortable enough to do this has likely hurt or killed animals in the past and will do so in the future. Multiple studies show that people who engage in these kinds of acts are significantly more likely to inflict domestic abuse, child abuse, and become serial killers. I really hope they find the person soon.

Despite shit like this, there are a lot of wonderful people out there actively trying to help manatees, like the people at www.savethemanatee.org.
You are wonderful. Thanks for the link. Donated.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
This is really reassuring to read, honestly. I'm hoping that you're right and the manatee didn't suffer any physical pain or discomfort from something like this.
Even if there's no physical harm done here, it could make the manatee a target for unwanted attention, as this media coverage probably already has achieved.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Even if there's no physical harm done here, it could make the manatee a target for unwanted attention, as this media coverage probably already has achieved.

That's true. Hopefully that doesn't happen. I was a bit more concerned with actual harm done to the manatee, though. Craving into an animal's skin is way different than scraping algae off imo. Still reflects a lack of empathy for the animal as a living being / reflects lack of respect for animal, but at least it might not have been literal craving.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
As a Floridian who has been to Blue Springs countless times over the years to see the manatees, this is honestly one of the saddest things I've heard/seen in a long time.

It looks like the article in the news report is offline so hopefully this was a mistake in the reporting..

dkeane

Oct 27, 2017
So fucked up. Visited family there a year ago and kayaked with a couple manatees. Fuck these people.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Okay guys, just to play devil's advocate here:

You have to admit, the manatee does look an awful lot like Trump.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
I was incredibly relieved once I learned that it wasn't carved into the manatee's skin or cause it any pain. But I didn't know that marking it in any way with political speech constituted a crime

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was incredibly relieved once I learned that it wasn't carved into the manatee's skin or cause it any pain. But I didn't know that marking it in any way with political speech constituted a crime
It's algae, I saw people "draw" penises on matinees in Florida for shits and giggles, and like yeah, don't harass wild animals like that, for real, but it didn't seem like it was torturing the animal.

But seriously, leave the sea cows alone people.

JHoNNy1OoO

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
At least we can B sure the manatee didn't do this to themselves in the mirror since it's written correctly.

Tweets Give Race-Baiting Hoaxster a 'B' for Effort

Thanks to an unattended Twitter widget, a website intended to promote the work of 50 young Republican volunteers became an unwitting showcase for the mockery of one group member Friday, when it emerged that the volunteer faked a macabre attack on herself and tried to pin it on a nonexistent...

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, I'm confused... How did the people even scrape that message into its skin?

Did they wait until it was resting on land? Did they wrestle a fucking manatee? I'm speechless
I'm almost positive that manatees never go on land, I think they're like dolphins and spend their whole lives in water. So someone must've come up along side it in a boat or roped it or something to get it close enough and hold it long enough to scrape the letters into it ):<

I propose to etch "Manatee" on the perpetrators forehead once they are found.
Yeah I was gonna say people suggesting carving "TRUMP" into whoever did this were thinking too small, gotta carve MANATEE into them instead. I'm glad it sounds like it's just scraped off algae but Christ almighty.

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, I'm confused... How did the people even scrape that message into its skin?

Did they wait until it was resting on land? Did they wrestle a fucking manatee? I'm speechless

I'm almost positive that manatees never go on land, I think they're like dolphins and spend their whole lives in water. So someone must've come up along side it in a boat or roped it or something to get it close enough and hold it long enough to scrape the letters into it ):<

Yeah, manatees are fully aquatic and cannot go on land. They're very docile with no fear of people. I went snorkeling with them once and they'll let you come right up to them as long as you're quiet. I would not be surprised if the person who did this didn't even have to rope them in

Gnomepowered

Nov 23, 2018
bro wtf. Manatees are like the most docile creatures. They are just floating blubber nuggets. Who would do this
Fun manatee fact: they actually don't have a blubber layer or any sort of real insulation- that's all muscle and (normal, energy storing) fat. The biggest source of non-human manatee fatalities (note: pulling this fact from something I learned a long time ago, so may not be 100% accurate) is freezing to death in the winter when the ocean temperature drops. To combat this they like to hang out in the freshwater springs in Florida (which are a constant temperature all year round) in the winter, and also enjoy hanging out in the thermal waste water streams of power plants- so take this cute picture of manatees cuddling up in the warm waters to cheer you up:

IP-072494_FJohnson1.jpg

Dec 30, 2020
I'd appreciate if whoever did this was caught, tried in court, found guilty, and then sentenced to have the word "manatee" etched into their skin with a potato peeler in enormous, car-dealership-sized letters.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Fun manatee fact: they actually don't have a blubber layer or any sort of real insulation- that's all muscle and (normal, energy storing) fat. The biggest source of non-human manatee fatalities (note: pulling this fact from something I learned a long time ago, so may not be 100% accurate) is freezing to death in the winter when the ocean temperature drops. To combat this they like to hang out in the freshwater springs in Florida (which are a constant temperature all year round) in the winter, and also enjoy hanging out in the thermal waste water streams of power plants- so take this cute picture of manatees cuddling up in the warm waters to cheer you up:

IP-072494_FJohnson1.jpg
i choose to not believe you over them being 99% blubber 1% mammal, I've seen that video of the one squishing against the glass.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I grew up around manatees. They are such beautiful gentle creatures. Only an evil person could do this.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't someone earlier in the thread explain it wasn't "carved" and so the animal hadn't suffered from this? What's the truth?

In any case, imagine having a bounty on your head put by Dave Bautista. I would shit. my. pants.