• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
God Damnit. Why Cas. Why you got to be like this. This just sucks all around. Amazon needs to recast him becasue its pretty sickening, and absolutely is a blight on an otherwise highly progressive SciFi series.

Last edited:

Kormora

Nov 7, 2017
God damn it. He was such a big force in saving the show too.

I guess now we know why he loves fan interactions.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017

James S.A. Corey

Latest news from our studio. They are taking the recent allegations very seriously, and have hired an independent third party investigator. Everyone is fully committed to the truth here. But they need a little time to do their work. Updates as I have them.

And, if I may, a wholehearted thank you to those who were brave enough to bring this to us. We hear you. This will get the attention and action such serious allegations deserve. I'm staking my reputation on it.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
He's finished for sure. The guy goes on a limb to save the show, become a fan favourite...only to get booted due to his own vile acts. Such a disappointment to his fans.

Last edited:

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
cPMJbvq.gif
This is pretty much me at this point. Sigh.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017

Holden/Steven Strait , doesn't have a social media account, his statement

"I just wanted to reach out to let you know that we hear you. An independent, third party firm has been engaged by our studio, Alcon, to investigate. These very serious allegations are being treated with the utmost respect and gravity they deserve. Sincerely, Steven."

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All these boilerplate comments about an "investigation" make me a bit uncomfortable. A dozen different women have come forward, some of them with detailed screenshots of his behavior. There is overwhelming evidence of misconduct. Whatever "investigation" they're performing shouldn't exactly take long to verify that these accusations are true. Do you believe the victims or not?

I don't know of a single example of one of these "independent third party investigations" that has actually resulted in someone being fired. These are cheap HR ploys designed to protect the company, not achieve justice for victims.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
The way the cast keep mentioning the studio name and talking about an investigation makes all these responses feel so manufactured.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
The way the cast keep mentioning the studio name and talking about an investigation makes all these responses feel so manufactured.
It's more than likely they're told not say anything cause they probably haven't decided on what to do.

It's fucked that they have to even think, let alone take this long to do something tho.

Nov 30, 2017
I don't get it. You will condemn an entire cast of people including the hundreds of workers in the background because of one idiot? That just seems ludicrous to me

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
That sucks, I hope they remove him from the show. They'll probably recast him, but my dream is that Drummer becomes a permanent crew member.

All these boilerplate comments about an "investigation" make me a bit uncomfortable. A dozen different women have come forward, some of them with detailed screenshots of his behavior. There is overwhelming evidence of misconduct. Whatever "investigation" they're performing shouldn't exactly take long to verify that these accusations are true. Do you believe the victims or not?

I don't know of a single example of one of these "independent third party investigations" that has actually resulted in someone being fired. These are cheap HR ploys designed to protect the company, not achieve justice for victims.

Didn't they fire Matt Lauer from NBC because of an independent third party investigation? It'll always look bad if they announced they were doing an investigation on themselves.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, there's a lot

That whole 'conversation' is terrible

You know I feel for her because she's not the only one (ironic use considering what I am about to say) but if there is one thing I hope we have all learned and even as anti-sex pest as I am it didn't truly sink in until this latest round but it is NEVER just just this time or just one victim. Sucks to say but it seems if it's legit and their is only one victim or incident visible sure as shit there are 5 more we just have not heard about.

Sucks and I feel really bad for the victims, sex crimes are bad enough when it's random or forced like Weinstein, but it must be so much more horrible when it's someone you look up to and respect and like and they try to use you disbelief and respect to gaslight you.

Disgusting and I have decided not only will I not be able to rewatch old episodes but if they broadcast Season 5 as is I just can't watch it, I don't care if he's gone in the future just thinking about it makes me want to hurl.

Eighthours

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Well, this video should probably be re-edited:

3:06: 'I get yelled at for being on my phone too much.' Uh huuuuuuuuh!

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't they fire Matt Lauer from NBC because of an independent third party investigation? It'll always look bad if they announced they were doing an investigation on themselves.

Yes. Which is what Alcon (Expanse company) did as well. It's the gold standard for internal investigations. You can absolutely conduct your own internal investigation, but using a third party makes it harder to play games and control the narrative.

I don't see Anvar surviving this at all. He truly was a massive piece of shit predator. I'm a book reader first, so I honestly never cared if they change the show and characters. I already know the story.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Some updates:

The following was posted by the moderators on r/The Expanse:

Thursday, October 15: A member of The Expanse production crew contacted the moderation team about sharing her experience with more than 2 years of sexual harassment by Cas Anvar while they were both working on The Expanse. Over the past few weeks, she has provided documents verifying her identity and work on The Expanse, statements about her experience, and screenshots of over 200 messages. Below is a summary of her experiences with Anvar both on and off set. She hopes that by sharing her experience, she can help corroborate a pattern of predatory behavior by Anvar toward young women. For context, at the time of the harassment the crew member was in her mid-twenties and physically young-looking for her age, and Anvar was approaching fifty years old.

I've put her experience in a spoiler, in case this may be a trigger for anyone who has suffered from sexual harassment and abuse.
Over the course of 2 years, from 2014 to 2016, an Expanse crewmember received inappropriate and sexually harassing messages from Cas Anvar. The crewmember has asked to remain anonymous, as she is still involved with production on The Expanse. Our moderation team has verified her identity, confirming that she worked in physical proximity to Anvar on The Expanse during the time of the harassment and has continued to do work on the show through Season 5. The harassing messages began at the start of the crewmember's work on Season 1 production, when she was new to the industry. She states that Anvar pressured her to engage in physical intimacy (including aggressive requests to kiss her while at work) and meet outside of work or work events (at bars, his hotel room or spa, or via video chat), though she always refused.

The screenshots the crewmember shared are a combination of text messages and Facebook messages from Anvar's personal Facebook account. In the screenshots, Anvar's messages consist of unreciprocated sexual and flirtatious language, demands to meet outside of work, aggressive sexual statements about himself and his opinions of gender roles, inappropriate sexual and personal questions, and photos or videos of himself. The crewmember's infrequent responses to Anvar show consistent refusal of Anvar's advances and attempts to de-escalate his attention without angering him, and she recalls worrying about how saying 'no' to Anvar might lead to retaliation on a professional level. The screenshots show that when she refused Anvar or ignored his messages, he would often abruptly lose his temper or threaten to do so, insult her, or tell her in backhanded apologies that she was overly sensitive or had misunderstood his intentions, then return to proposition her again later. Screenshots show many messages from Anvar over weeks or months without any response from the crewmember. In the screenshots, Anvar's messages include language, tone, and emoji/sticker use very similar to the messages that others have shared.

The crewmember says the majority of The Expanse's staff is extremely professional and kind, and the highest-ranking people "treat their crew better than any other set that I've been on." She believes that it was likely the knowledge that her labor union would take strong action if she reported Anvar that prevented him from escalating his behavior physically, though she was too new to the industry to "understand that I had a voice and could say 'no' to a seemingly powerful man at work."
Also:

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Another one. It never ends :(
At least the author of the books was also outraged on twitter and is actively trying to do something.

James S. A Corey is the pen name of 2 authors, Daniel Abraham and Ty Frank (former George R. R. Martin assistant). James and Corey are actually their middle names