• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They should adapt the indredible dark and gritty thundercats comic where Wilykit is mum-ra sex slave

155239_v1.jpg

And Snarf suffers of depression

155238_v1.jpg

Harken Raiser

Oct 25, 2017
I mean my entire point was that action shows still seem to be doing decently in Japan. And yeah it's found success in the West. So I'm wondering why the west can't make action shows that succeed.
Why would people watch a western action cartoon when they could just watch My Hero Academia or any number of action anime? The anime industry has the animated action market cornered, but anime comedies aren't as popular in the West, while comedy is the western animation industry's strength.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
That's kind of the plot of a lot of post-show adaptations, though, probably to make things more "grim and gritty" and "adult". The He-man movie was basically after Skeletor had won, same with the more recent DC comic, the Transformers comics (All Hail Megatron), heck, the classic comic story Days of Future Past (and later Age of Apocalypse) is just that. It's just that most of them didn't have the bad taste to put in sex slaves, provocative drawings, and rape.

Oct 25, 2017
The amount of people up in arms would be much lower (because there is always people who complain) compared with the people angry about Thundercats Roar, hell, as per my original post in this thread im mildly upset about TR, if these X-men were announced i would have a mild chuckle and move on.

I mean, look at this official ass marvel comic:

7u18BJD.jpg

Barely different to what that picture is parodying.

I read all the Secret Wars tie ins because I'm insane. No joke, this might be the best one. It's so fucking cute

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

"That's 15 different TV shows on the left, by the way. "

This is something I had in my mind after peeping the reaction to this show, was that a lot of 80s/90s action shows had very similar art styles. I'm glad someone took the time to lay it out like that. The reaction is overblown

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Disney/Marvel ever want to do a comedy show with a simplified animation style, hope they go with Mini Marvels:
etgqqs.jpg

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Because the CalArts style changes with each generation of people coming out of there. However they tend to have similar art styles within a generation. I don't think it's because of the curriculum or something as much as it's because a bunch of artists are influenced by each other (or are ripping each other off) because they are in the same generation. Also, because they are chasing whatever style hit it big, and are just doing variations on that.

Yup. It seems pejorative, but it makes sense that if all the major animators of an era come from the same school, they're going to influence one another.

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but I'll go ahead and post it anyway.

NzcxViv.jpg

I honestly I don't hate this. He fits the simplified style but still has some flavor to it. You can tell he is a fit dude and not a blob.

I'd be ok with this. I'm not going to lie, I completely forgot about Thundercats but my dislike of this reboot being Teen Titans Go Jr. has me wanting a legit Thundercats. If CN's plan was to do a legit reboot ala Samurai Jack & FLCL next year, it's succeeding.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My problem isn't that cartoons look similar to each other. I'm not the biggest fan of the style but it's whatever. My problem is that this particular shows characters look ugly. I wish it looked like Star Vs. or Steven Universe.
They should adapt the indredible dark and gritty thundercats comic where Wilykit is mum-ra sex slave

155239_v1.jpg

155238_v1.jpg
Oh hey I saw this online a few years ago. Though I had just hallucinated it.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if it's the point with all of them, but all of the fanarts just make me want to watch these shows in this style. Including the Berserk and Gargoyles ones.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Where were all y'all who are complaining when Thundercats had a badass anime years ago?

thundercats-animated-series-image.jpg

This wouldn't have happened if y'all supported this one instead.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't good several episodes in & got turned into a LEGO show while they were planning Season 2 as a cost-cutting measure.
It had a slow start, but I think it was at least okay. And it definitely had potential to be a lot more in potential subsequent seasons.

Though the people who mentioned the dumb scheduling of the episodes do have a good point. I just recorded them and watched them later.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
It had a slow start, but I think it was at least okay. And it definitely had potential to be a lot more in potential subsequent seasons.

Though the people who mentioned the dumb scheduling of the episodes do have a good point. I just recorded them and watched them later.

True! They could've righted the ship & the scheduling issues were on the network for sure. I just can't blame people for ducking out on it.

MattWilsonCSS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yup. I've been privy to many anonymous animator conversations and "CalArts" has been a go-to insult since the days when John K would rail against Sword in the Stone (1963). When anonymous animators would shit on Steven Silver's designs for Kim Possible as being "Flash cartoon art". The times when "anime" was used in the 2000s to deride the art of anything going against the grain artistically.

The irony here is that the animation industry now has more non-CalArts grads than ever before. Stephen Universe and OK KO are from grads of the School of Visual Arts in NY, to give one example. Gumball (which has been brought up a bunch) is not even an American production. But people just point and shout CALARTS!!!! Even though ten years ago "CalArts" meant anything that looked like Dexter's Laboratory.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
Dude, I'm 32 years old, I haven't watched any of these shows but as an adult none of these look remotely interesting to me. Even if I was the target audience when I was 10-13 I just wanted to watch action/superhero cartoons, not shows like these.
With a list of shows so varied, what exactly do you mean by "shows like these"? Steven Universe explores so many themes in its overarching narrative, but it's also basically lesbian freedom fighters from space and their adopted son protecting the Earth after they rebelled against their leaders. Shows like Gravity Falls and Steven Universe aren't simple comedies, devoid of storytelling and action. You're judging these shows based solely on how different they look from the ones you watched as a kid. You're admitting here that you have nothing to base this opinion on yet, here you are on earlier in the thread:

Ugh, they are destroying my childhood! I feel sorry for the kids of today, although to be fair I don't think they even watch cartoons over youtube stuff these days anyway.

Cartoon Network has been terrible for a long time.

Whenever they get a good cartoon they cancel it. They even canceled Justice League Action which was more "fun" and light hearted for kids...and that's canceled after one season too.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Real-Talk: Would people be more comfortable if the show was being handled by Ian Jones-Quartey & his crew, given that people have been making parallel's to Thundercats: Roar & OK-KO?

Last edited:

hotcyder

Oct 28, 2017
It looks pretty similar to OK KO.

It's being done by Studio Yotta, who do OK KO (and also the Sonic Mania shorts)

They're mostly Newgrounds era animators. Early gigs were Starbomb music vids but I imagine they get stuff done under budget so they're the go to guys now.

"That's 15 different TV shows on the left, by the way. "

This tweet guy works there.

I like Gumball and TTG a lot so high bar to clear in regards to animation.

Last edited:

Deleted member 35156

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 2, 2017
Where were all y'all who are complaining when Thundercats had a badass anime years ago?

I sadly didn't even know it existed until last year, but I did my part and bought the Bluray! I loved the series and would've liked to see it have an actual ending.

Now I really wish we would've have gotten ponytail scarfed Cheetara...

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US

155239_v1.jpg

155238_v1.jpg
Wow, it absolutely fucking sucks to know this exists.

Had a lot of good art and money behind it, if not interesting writing and plot progression. But the toys weren't selling, which is the only reason it was made.

Last edited:

The Dink

Oct 28, 2017
As one of the only people that emphatically loves Teen Titans Go! I say bring it on.

Probably won't be good but it's not like the original Thunder Cats was a masterpiece (although I did dig that anime-ish reboot years back). People are just remembering it as deeper/darker than it actually was.

155239_v1.jpg

155238_v1.jpg

Which is how we get stuff like this.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know, the internet as a whole seems awfully up in arms over a hannah barbera property no one really gave a shit about for the last couple decades outside of jokes on robot chicken.

Where's my Capt. Caveman reboot? Seems the choice is the IP languishes in obscurity or this, idk. Take the shot I guess.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I don't know, the internet as a whole seems awfully up in arms over a hannah barbera property no one really gave a shit about for the last couple decades outside of jokes on robot chicken.

Where's my Capt. Caveman reboot? Seems the choice is the IP languishes in obscurity or this, idk. Take the shot I guess.

I mean, there was another cartoon in 2011 along with a line of toys, and an online only set of toys based on the classic property. So it's not like it was dormant since the 80s.

Rocketjay

Apr 30, 2018
On one hand this is disappointing because I wanted/thought we were getting a serious action-oriented Thundercats series....

On the other hand, people reacted (literally) the same way when Teen Titans GO!!! came out and many of y'all sing the shows praises nowadays. I appreciate the consistency despite almost the exact same thing happening again a few years later.
Look at powerpuff girls and ben 10

Rocketjay

Apr 30, 2018
Have never been into most 'serious' action cartoons. I liked the original Batman cartoon well enough, but in general DC stuff never got me excited. Probably why I like Go compared to the original, as most of the episodes have little to nothing to do with DC. They are just genuinely funny/silly cartoons that can be enjoyed on exactly the level they present themselves on.
But what's the point of rebooting the show if it is nothing like the original? Couldn't they make something oh I don't know Original?