• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DeadPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
Ultimately I never cared for Thunder Cats, I didn't even watch the reboot much... But this image... this would piss me off:

Now this is a truly cursed image.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Saw this one earlier. Dying.

0GA8p9u.png

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed, the original Thundercats bored me even as a kid. Unlike the original Ninja Turtles cartoon which is still fun to watch because it's a self aware parody with crazy sci-fi B movie plots, Thundercats was just boring.

Out of all the 80s shows, this one is definitely better written but it still has most of the issues 80s shows had. I'm impressed with how often they changed the status-quo though and they kept doing more and more world building. I think that makes it stand out over other 80s toyline cartoons.

diablos991

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They sure screwed up with this remake.

I bet they make a dragon ball remake with this fucked uo art style.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've had to sit and let this digest a bit. At first I was... not angry but kinda exasperated. I've come around a bit. I'm trying to look at this as somewhere between a Sergio Aragones or SD take, both of which are cartoony styles applied to characters typically portrayed in less cartoony styles for comedic effect that I've enjoyed.

I'd be more on board if it weren't so similar in style to a host of other shows, or if this wasn't the first Thundercats anything we've seen in almost a decade by the time this airs. As much as I enjoy Aragones and some SD stuff, I wouldn't have been so open to either if they were presented as the new standard for those properties.

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Honestly, I'm trying still to figure out why this bothers me as much as it does. I'm a huge fan of Steven Universe, even the art style; and I know Gravity Falls is good, I think OK KO is dope, Star's got some good stuff going for it. I've wasted my morning reading all sixteen pages of this hoping I'd find one post that'd make me go "YES! THAT is what's making me feel this way." Nothing.

So, since I like all those shows, what is it about this that upsets me visually? That part, I don't get.

I will say the whole beanmouth thing is definitely getting on my nerves. Like, there's a reason all the parody art posted here has that-- it's immediately recognizable as a fucking issue. There's too many wide grins that are just dumb beans with vertical lines on them and now that I've seen that I cannot unsee it. So maybe this is just the straw that broke the camel's back?

Maybe it's the fact that Lion-O looks all, like, lumpy? Like, his hands look weird in a way the stuff from SU doesn't. I liked Thundercats when I was a kid, kinda. Didn't even know about the 2011 reboot, so it's not a huge thing for me. Before this I hadn't thought of Thundercats in years. It's not a treasured memory. That's why it's so strange that I looked at this and before everyone else's negative reaction got here I was still, like... something about it didn't sit well with me. I don't like Teen Titans Go either-- that sort of came to mind when I saw this. Maybe I just don't like goofy art style reboots of things?

Looking at the very smooth animation it looks like they're trying for something here, and reading between the lines it seems like the artstyle and comedic angle is driven by economic factors. So I definitely can't hate too much, and the harassers are obviously being terrible. But it's still upsetting, and I don't know why.

I mean, it beats the nightmarish comic book reboot from the aughts. If I were a Thundercats superfan and read that, maybe I'd be so traumatized I'd be driven to make my successor series as childlike as possible to prevent that from ever happening again.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Dude, I'm 32 years old, I haven't watched any of these shows but as an adult none of these look remotely interesting to me. Even if I was the target audience when I was 10-13 I just wanted to watch action/superhero cartoons, not shows like these.
You are literally judging books by their covers. All of these shows are fantastic.

Thumbing your nose at them because of 1 still is just silly.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Ultimately I never cared for Thunder Cats, I didn't even watch the reboot much... But this image... this would piss me off:

Now this is a truly cursed image.

I have to admit, while I certainly wouldn't like this in the same way as TR, I appreciate the "Let's turn everything into Thundercats Roar" meme. Unlike Roar though, that art is so cute, I'd at least give it a shot.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

This meme makes me think that I would gladly watch every single one of them of the ips I like because I want to live in a world with more gargoyles and yu yu Hakusho, not less

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm frankly surprised there's so many defenders of a mid-to-late 80s toy commercial cartoon in the first place.

I think the art style is really ugly. Is that ok? I didn't even like Thundercats as a kid. I always found the show boring.

This meme makes me think that I would gladly watch every single one of them of the ips I like because I want to live in a world with more gargoyles and yu yu Hakusho, not less

This one actually reminds me more of Hey Arnold for some reason.

And yeah I'd watch it just for more YYH.

Last edited:

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I think the art style is really ugly. Is that ok? I didn't even like Thundercats as a kid. I always found the show boring.

This one actually reminds me more of Hey Arnold for some reason.

And yeah I'd watch it just for more YYH.

It's fine to think it's ugly or dislike it, it's just fascinating to me how many opinions seem to lean on "Oh my god they ruined Thundercats!" as if Thundercats was some sort of legendary TV show.

Last edited:

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's fine to think it's ugly or dislike it, it's just fascinating to me how many opinions seem to lean on "Oh my god they ruined Thundercats!" as if Thundercats was some sort of legendary TV show.

Fair enough. I do think any sort of "ruined my childhood" is a bit extreme.

Also why do I never notice my spelling mistakes until someone quotes me.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017

From the creator of My Life as a Teenage Robot

Because the CalArts style changes with each generation of people coming out of there. However they tend to have similar art styles within a generation. I don't think it's because of the curriculum or something as much as it's because a bunch of artists are influenced by each other (or are ripping each other off) because they are in the same generation. Also, because they are chasing whatever style hit it big, and are just doing variations on that.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
Because the CalArts style changes with each generation of people coming out of there. However they tend to have similar art styles within a generation. I don't think it's because of the curriculum or something as much as it's because a bunch of artists are influenced by each other (or are ripping each other off) because they are in the same generation. Also, because they are chasing whatever style hit it big, and are just doing variations on that.
"CalArts style" isn't even a THING

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
"CalArts style" isn't even a THING
It's a "thing" as far as describing the general style of generations of animators. Many of whom are running the shows also happened to go to the same school and work together.

And it's a "thing" that people have been apparently using since the early 90's.

So whether it's correct or not, it's definitely a "thing".

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, this looks waaay more like OK KO than Steven Universe. Regardless, CN has been pushing for these simple, goofy, and annoying reboots like Teen Titans Go, NuPPG and now this. This really needs to stop. That scream at the end of the new Thundercats theme song is annoying as fuck.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017

You see, here's something people fail to understand about the Thundecats rage.

This? absolutely nobody would complain about this being a thing.

The X-men have been redesigned, re-sold and redistributed in so many mediums that it doesn't matter, the X-men are a franchises that have built the flexibility to have something like this over the years, other franchises that have earned this are Transformers, GI Joe, TMNT, Justice League, etc.

Thundercats tho? The thundercats are not there yet.

The Thundercats have had 2 series and a couple of comicbooks, and they all had the same semi serious, action oriented tone, pulling this on the Thundercats feels like an insult.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I actually wouldn't mind a more traditional "SD" Thundercats show, I have no problem with Super Deformed Designs or big heads or whatever, I think the character designs here and the general sponginess of it is what's a bit offputting. Still hoping for the best.

It's still weird to me that superhero action cartoons aren't viable when superhero TV shows and movies that are filled with action are more viable than ever.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017

I mean, the original show (which I'm not a big fan of really) has a Conan the barbarian, masculine realistic proportioned scifi fantasy style, like a lot of shows from that era. Many cartoons or even most of the memorable ones from that era were in that style. It's a cool look that stopped existing probably because it's easier to animate blobs.

The outcry isn't sad. What's sad is when you take something (well everything) with an awesome style to it already and turn it into hipstery beans and blobs or shitty angles. It doesn't matter what time you live in, those 80s and early 90s shows had a kickass adult western influenced anime style. The intros are timeless and amazing. That's what people remember. The shows mostly were awful and looked very little like the quality Japanese animated intro bits, but that style is so fucking cool.

Imagine you loved Conan the Barbarian even if it was shit, and then it was rebooted to look like a new chipmunks movie.. Of course that'll rub some people wrong. I'm not vehemently against this style in Roar, I like it, it's neat, (at one time it was super original and unlike anything else) but it's waaay overdone and that it's tied to a thundercats reboot feels like a concept shat out by a corporate idea machine that's already tried every more valuable idea.

Again, this style isn't bad, but how can you look at this announcement and that image and not feel the seeping desperation. Whatever, maybe it'll be good. I'm still sour about teen titans go though. Not every concept needs to be rebooted or warped into something else.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
You see, here's something people fail to understand about the Thundecats rage.

This? absolutely nobody would complain about this being a thing.

The X-men have been redesigned, re-sold and redistributed in so many mediums that it doesn't matter, the X-men are a franchises that have built the flexibility to have something like this over the years, other franchises that have earned this are Transformers, GI Joe, TMNT, Justice League, etc.

Thundercats tho? The thundercats are not there yet.

The Thundercats have had 2 series and a couple of comicbooks, and they all had the same semi serious, action oriented tone, pulling this on the Thundercats feels like an insult.
It doesn't matter if X-Men went through multiple iterations. If the next X-Men cartoon looked likely that you bet your ass there would be people up in arms.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why this new show of all things is some catalyst for people to air their grievances of modern cartoons like they ever gave a fuck about OG Thundercats or that 2011 adaptation.. Now apparently every Cartoon Network show objectively looks the same and are all shit. Good grief.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't matter if X-Men went through multiple iterations. If the next X-Men cartoon looked likely that you bet your ass there would be people up in arms.

The amount of people up in arms would be much lower (because there is always people who complain) compared with the people angry about Thundercats Roar, hell, as per my original post in this thread im mildly upset about TR, if these X-men were announced i would have a mild chuckle and move on.

I mean, look at this official ass marvel comic:

7u18BJD.jpg

Barely different to what that picture is parodying.

HypedBeast

Oct 29, 2017
Reading through the thread there was a lot of talk about no one watching the 2011 reboot, but that actually isnt true, it just got retooled into that LEGO Chima show
1526867697163.png

Ive been saying this for years, but the reason for this big shift towards simpler artstyles isn't really due to more fluid animation, but more time/cost efficient production. Why make a big action show when you can create a cheap comedy one with just as many viewers and more revenue due to the lower budget?

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
Reading through the thread there was a lot of talk about no one watching the 2011 reboot, but that actually isnt true, it just got retooled into that LEGO Chima show
1526867697163.png

Ive been saying this for years, but the reason for this big shift towards simpler artstyles isn't really due to more fluid animation, but more time/cost efficient production. Why make a big action show when you can create a cheap comedy one with just as many viewers and more revenue due to the lower budget?
I don't buy it. Why would they cancel it If it was successful? Sounds more like "eh, we can give it another try", but then "you know what? I think we're gonna pass".

HypedBeast

Oct 29, 2017
I don't buy it. Why would they cancel it If it was successful? Sounds more like "eh, we can give it another try", but then "you know what? I think we're gonna pass".
This was all in an interview from a couple months ago

https://soundcloud.com/tcs2011int/cats2011-ros-revised

Norton did mention that while they had a plan for 52 episodes, they had ideas in mind if they were able to make Episode 53-Episode 65. The Lunataks seem to be part of these episodes based on the choice of words and there was talk about an idea of Mumm-Ra rebelling against the Ancient Spirts of Evil to control his own fate.

The show actually did get renewed for season 2, which explains how they were able to start rough drafts for the scripts of the first 5 or 6 episodes of the season but Norton explained in greater detail during the interview that the renewal was later revoked.

The show was actually planned to be aimed at older audiences (12-14 and older, given the tone), on the adult swim block in order to aim it to fans who grew up with the original series (which happened in the 2017 revival of Samurai Jack), but executive meddling disagreed and marketed it to younger audiences, which explains why the show didn't do well despite being popular with older audiences

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Oh god, "tumblrized". Social network tribalism instead of actual art criticism is always a dissapointment. Things can't stand on their own, they have to be part of a greater culture war.

HypedBeast

Oct 29, 2017
Oh god, "tumblrized". Social network tribalism instead of actual art criticism is always a dissapointment. Things can't stand on their own, they have to be part of a greater culture war.
I was gonna say ignore that part since that was one of the only pics I could find talking about the interview, but I found the Soundcloud link and talk about the interview from there.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
I'm frankly surprised there's so many defenders of a mid-to-late 80s toy commercial cartoon in the first place.

One that shamelessly copied stuff from Superman, Star Wars, Robocop, The Hobbit, etc.

I never missed an episode in the 80s, but Thundercats it's hardly the hill to die on or the last straw on modern american animation "wars".

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
The amount of people up in arms would be much lower (because there is always people who complain) compared with the people angry about Thundercats Roar, hell, as per my original post in this thread im mildly upset about TR, if these X-men were announced i would have a mild chuckle and move on.

I mean, look at this official ass marvel comic:

7u18BJD.jpg

Barely different to what that picture is parodying.
I would (figuratively) kill a man for a cartoon that uses Skottie Young's art style. His stuff is iconic at this point.

What's becoming very troubling to me about this Thundercats Roar "controversy" is how it's become politicized. It's one thing for people to complain about a reboot, because that always happens. But now I see people throwing around stuff like SJW, "soyboy," and a general sense of liberal, California hatred. I'm sure a lot of it stems from the shitty parts of /co/ that /pol/ has infected, but it's popped up on YouTube and Twitter as well.

People are weaponizing fucking cartoons into some political/social/gender culture war, just like they did with video games in GamerGate. I know Thundercats Roar is supposed to be some boiling point for people who have always complained about this stuff, but it's moving from being just ridiculous into being a bit frightening.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but I'll go ahead and post it anyway.

NzcxViv.jpg

I honestly I don't hate this. He fits the simplified style but still has some flavor to it. You can tell he is a fit dude and not a blob.