• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
2pq842e.jpg

Lol!
I'd be all about an X-Men cartoon in this style and tone. Marvel TV animation after Disney bought Marvel has ranged from average to atrocious.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Well, they're certainly much better animated now. That's about it, but I had how every cartoon needs a super goofy style and larger emphasis on humor now. How we went from the other Thundercats reboot to this, from Teen Titans to Go, etc.

MV5BMTEzNDc3MDQ2NzNeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU4MDYzMzUwMDIx._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

MV5BYjQwZDhhNzctNTZjYy00NjYzLWE3ZjctNGQwZWY2Zjg5NTgwL2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyODkwOQ@@._V1_UY268_CR3,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

MV5BNTNjMTM1YWYtZWQ3Yy00OGI1LWEyZjUtYTk3OTk5NGIxMzIyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzM4NjcxOTc@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

MV5BODBkZWI3MmItMWU2ZC00M2FhLTk1YWQtNjU5YzI0NzI0NmIxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzA0MTM4NjM@._V1_UY268_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

MV5BNWY2YWU1NWEtZTk2Yi00Y2Q5LThlOTMtZWQzZTQ1OWM5MmM2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjQyMzg3MTE@._V1_UY268_CR3,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

MV5BZTQxOTJlNDQtNTY3NC00ZjI3LWE2ZTYtODI4MTA5N2IyNjg2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjM2NDIwMzQ@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

MV5BNTA2NTc5MzQwNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTY2ODI2MjI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

MV5BZmNiOGQxNGEtMmZmYy00ZTZjLWI5YmUtNTQzYmE1OWU5MGYyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTU2Njc3MDA@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

MV5BM2VmMjUyYTMtMmMwOC00N2E0LWIwMDktZTc0NDdjNjJhYTJhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjM2NDIwMzQ@._V1_UY268_CR33,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Hard to take you seriously If you think some of these shows are nothing but simply *animated better* last few years has given us some of the most progressive (and arguably best) shows we have ever had, even some like Adventure Time has moved away from its weekly episode format and focus on longer story arcs. Just because Teen Titans Go is a popular trend right now doesn't mean all cartoon shows are all humor and no substance. Teen Titans go has been out since 2013 it didn't suddenly come out last year and everything is Teen Titans Go, we are judging Thundercats before we have even seen one episode...

Nesotenso

Oct 26, 2017
Since animation folk are chiming in, what's the appeal of this garbage art style? faster turnaround?

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dude, don't remind me. I work in the Vancouver branch of the animation industry, and I don't know whenever if I should laugh or shake my head with some of the comments I've seen.

I draw the line at death threats, though. No one should NEVER have to deal with that.

Ottawa here, Canadian tax cuts represent!

And yes, art is subjective, but the way people talk about it is just trash.
Like the sound of a million neck beards crying in unison.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I read a thing on twitter that the 2011 show was actually renewed and was being worked on, but then CN got a lego show cheaper, so canned the second season.

Plus it was meant to be on the Adult Swim Toonamj block initially.

That's just a lot of wishful thinking man. The writing was on the wall that the show was going to get axed before the second season could even begin production. Flaws of the series aside, Thundercats 2011 had the misfortune of debuting at a time where Cartoon Network was rapidly shifting philosphies of the type of cartoons they wanted to green light on their network.

All that draws from the fact that Samurai Jack got a revival on Toonami so now you have a lot of fans spinning and hoping that "insert cult-popular cartoon here" will also get the same type of revival.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
That's just a lot of wishful thinking man. The writing was on the wall that the show was going to get axed before the second season could even begin production. Flaws of the series aside, Thundercats 2011 had the misfortune of debuting at a time where Cartoon Network was rapidly shifting philosphies of the type of cartoons they wanted to green light on their network.

All that draws from the fact that Samurai Jack got a revival on Toonami so now you have a lot of fans spinning and hoping that "insert cult-popular cartoon here" will also get the same type of revival.

No, the info apparently comes from someone who worked on the show and spoke about it on some podcast awhile ago.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
MV5BMTEzNDc3MDQ2NzNeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU4MDYzMzUwMDIx._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

MV5BYjQwZDhhNzctNTZjYy00NjYzLWE3ZjctNGQwZWY2Zjg5NTgwL2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyODkwOQ@@._V1_UY268_CR3,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

MV5BNTNjMTM1YWYtZWQ3Yy00OGI1LWEyZjUtYTk3OTk5NGIxMzIyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzM4NjcxOTc@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

MV5BODBkZWI3MmItMWU2ZC00M2FhLTk1YWQtNjU5YzI0NzI0NmIxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzA0MTM4NjM@._V1_UY268_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

MV5BNWY2YWU1NWEtZTk2Yi00Y2Q5LThlOTMtZWQzZTQ1OWM5MmM2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjQyMzg3MTE@._V1_UY268_CR3,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

MV5BZTQxOTJlNDQtNTY3NC00ZjI3LWE2ZTYtODI4MTA5N2IyNjg2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjM2NDIwMzQ@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

MV5BNTA2NTc5MzQwNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTY2ODI2MjI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

MV5BZmNiOGQxNGEtMmZmYy00ZTZjLWI5YmUtNTQzYmE1OWU5MGYyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTU2Njc3MDA@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

MV5BM2VmMjUyYTMtMmMwOC00N2E0LWIwMDktZTc0NDdjNjJhYTJhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjM2NDIwMzQ@._V1_UY268_CR33,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Hard to take you seriously If you think some of these shows are nothing but simply *animated better* last few years has given us some of the most progressive (and arguably best) shows we have ever had, even some like Adventure Time has moved away from its weekly episode format and focus on longer story arcs. Just because Teen Titans Go is a popular trend right now doesn't mean all cartoon shows are all humor and no substance. Teen Titans go has been out since 2013 it didn't suddenly come out last year and everything is Teen Titans Go, we are judging Thundercats before we have even seen one episode...

Dude, I'm 32 years old, I haven't watched any of these shows but as an adult none of these look remotely interesting to me. Even if I was the target audience when I was 10-13 I just wanted to watch action/superhero cartoons, not shows like these.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

None of those are reboot tho, besides the Ducktales one which doesn't share the style of those CN shows. Funny how you mention TTG as a bad example when is the only sucesful reboot of that style. The new PPG and Scooby Doo with awful artsyle tanked. I love how people conveniently forget the Voltron reboot which doesn't have a style like that, has better animation than any of the show you posted and is actually pretty sucesful.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Since animation folk are chiming in, what's the appeal of this garbage art style? faster turnaround?
It's not hard to understand:

Simple styles are cheaper to make
The business of US cartoons is on a pretty harsh downward spiral

It's not just a matter of it being cheaper just to be cheaper... A large part of it is simply necessity as kids networks are facing tougher and tougher competition with Youtubers with much lower overhead.

Feral

Oct 25, 2017
Your Mom
Dude, I'm 32 years old, I haven't watched any of these shows but as an adult none of these look remotely interesting to me. Even if I was the target audience when I was 10-13 I just wanted to watch action/superhero cartoons, not shows like these.
did ... did you just diss Over the Garden Wall?

hey everyone, I think this poster just dissed Over the fucking Garden Wall

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Ottawa here, Canadian tax cuts represent!

Lucky duck. :D

Since I work in the Canadian side of the animation industry, I can't comment what happens in the New York and L.A. side of things. Typically, the media moguls who finance most animated programs for cable television want their investment to come back full circle, and they either want to invest in a commercial product that has been previously successful or they want those sales to come from people willing to buy said merchandise for their children.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017

*I haven't watched any of these, Im 32 and these don't appeal to me* So you haven't seen and can't comment on any of the shows and the quality of any of them, your 32 and you say that these shows you haven't watched don't appeal to you and that all YOU wanted to watch as a kid was action shows. This image is so overused but i really can't think of a better use.

old.jpg

None of those are reboot tho, besides the Ducktales one which doesn't share the style of those CN shows. Funny how you mention TTG as a bad example when is the only sucesful reboot of that style. The new PPG and Scooby Doo with awful artsyle tanked. I love how people conveniently forget the Voltron reboot which doesn't have a style like that, has better animation than any of the show you posted and is actually pretty successful.

Great Netflix is offering another service that allows these shows to exist which is awesome more animated shows is never a bad thing, some people are complaining that all children's animated shows are the same, some are saying that the animated shows are all humor and no substance, clearly this is not true. I didn't mention Voltron simply because I haven't seen it yet and can't judge if its a good reboot or not, the topic is not about if Thundercats Roar will be a good reboot or not, the artstyle is the focus point of most of the compliments and now the quality of the show is being judged before any episodes has aired I have shown evidence of shows that are frankly amazing despite how some think of the artstyle of some. My comment was towards a poster that said *He/she felt bad for todays kids* which is simply hilarious considering how many good animated shows are coming out for both adults and kids.
Yes Scooby Doo (however I think Mystery Incorporated the one before trumps the original) and the PPG reboot were trash both writing and humor, and the artstyle was arguably bad, doesn't mean this one will be. Its simply a back and forth until we have seen a few episodes.

Last edited:

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, some of these shows certainly have dinky slice of life in a vacuum, but uh

And please for the love of all that is holy don't click out immediately as soon as you hear a song, give it a few seconds at least. It's Estelle anyway, gosh knows it's better than any sing-along songs there used to be a generation ago.

I think 10-13 year old you would have been fine?

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, some of these shows certainly have dinky slice of life in a vacuum, but uh

And please for the love of all that is holy don't click out immediately as soon as you hear a song, give it a few seconds at least. It's Estelle anyway, gosh knows it's better than any sing-along songs there used to be a generation ago.

I think 10-13 year old you would have been fine?

tumblr_o0pau1NJci1qcu4sjo1_400.gif

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
Dude, I'm 33 and laugh my ass off with The Amazing World of Gumball. Trust me, most of the time this show looks like it's made for us, not for kids. Shit, there's even a blowjob joke in there, ffs...

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Almost all of these shows are really good though. Gravity Falls especially.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow that art style is hideous. I'm not the biggest fan of really round art style that's become popular with modern cartoons.

But at least in stuff like Steven Universe the character designs are usually pretty solid. This is just bad.

Thank goodness for Voltron.

Nov 3, 2017
I genuinely did not know so many adults presumable in their 20s and 30s had such strongly held opinions about cartoons made for children

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Between this and the ratings post from a couple pages back, it's pretty clear there's not much money to be made in animated TV anymore.

DeeDogg

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Florida

I would agree if you didnt have to add that heap of trash craig of the creek. And the animation is just as poor. Also, SU is hit and miss but overall it has a great artstyle

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada

Between this and the ratings post from a couple pages back, it's pretty clear there's not much money to be made in animated TV anymore.

One of my studio bosses at Slap Happy Cartoons made a similar speech about what Lauren said a couple of years ago, saying that video streaming is going to be 'the' main avenue if we want to branch out to different genres for animated television shows and movies, while the pillars of cable are going to crumble and fall unto their own weight if they don't adapt. (Which they won't.)

I didn't think much about it then, as I was having to much fun with the show I was working on at that time. But with how things are currently going, I wouldn't be shocked that the smaller broadcasting stations will disappear soon.

nick shaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
just fyi action works really well in a simplified art style, not every action cartoon needs to feature well defined muscles or realistic body types. the bruce timm style employed in shows like batman tas and justice league is also super simplified and cartoony

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So why do action anime seem to be doing alright? Obviously it's still probably not the most popular genre but it feels like we still get more action shows from anime then western cartoons. My Hero Academia for example.

Plus you have web shows like RWBY that seem to be doing well to the point that it's probably one of Rooster Teeth's most popular products.

I genuinely did not know so many adults presumable in their 20s and 30s had such strongly held opinions about cartoons made for children

I like cartoons so I'm going to say what I feel about them. Do you think adults stop watching cartoons?

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The ratings for Symbionic Titan and the previous Thundercats, say the same thing that if adults aren't watching action cartoons then we have to shift to comedy. Or that they're not selling enough toys like was the reason for Young Justice's cancellation. Probably the more cute, comedic shift makes for easier toys and so keeps the show on air.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I'm frankly surprised there's so many defenders of a mid-to-late 80s toy commercial cartoon in the first place.
How so?

If anything gets fans up in arms, it's completely different reimagination of their nostalgia. You can't seriously tell me (and so can't the creators of this show) that this project was done without a huge part of the target audience plan aiming for nostalgia. You wouldn't bring back this "mid-to-late 80's toy commercial" without aiming for nostalgia. There's absolutely no reason for digging it up, other than nostalgia. It would have been incredibly easy calling it "LightningFoxes" and building a new brand, but that's not what has been done here. It's banking on the Thundercats name, and the only, the literally only reason for this, is nostalgia. From fans, from the potential audience, from parents of said audience, from social media attention and from the makers. It shines through in every interview and every news report about it. It's incredibly ingenuine to pretend being "suprised" about fan reaction, because that's literally what the show is made for.

Of course there will be kids who watch this without any connection to the original Thundercats, but that's a hope, not a plan. The plan is to claw onto the old show, in all regards but execution of the actual project.

Steven Universe is a great example showing how a cartoon works for itself. It's artstyle is incredibly similar but original, it works with the characters and story, with the jokes and the serious issues of the show. And it's a completely original cartoon with completely original characters, built from the ground-up as being new, original and inventive. There's a comparison to make here, but it's surely not one to pretend Thundercats 2018 is going through the same hoops and hurdles, because it's not. It's taking name, characters and IP and makes it into a - potentially - Steven Universe-like show without the huge creative work that went into it. It's taking years and years of fandom, nostalgia and expectations to instantly build an audience, and while doing so it ridicules and ignores said audience.

I can see why people would call the reimagining creative and potentially fun, and that might be an argument to make for someone, but it's surely not mine. I believe some of the artists behind the show are actual fans, but I don't believe at all that this show as a whole comes from a honest and loving place. It's banking on nostalgia, and it's not at all suprising fans are upset. (It's also little surprise to me that the makers behind this react to the backlash in an insulting and umcomfortable way, but that's also just my opinion)

So yeah, I don't believe for a second you're "suprised" if you'd tell me you ever cared for anything in a nostalgic way. The show might be good, it might even be great, I don't know. I do know that I don't like what I see at all though.

Nov 3, 2017
I like cartoons so I'm going to say what I feel about them. Do you think adults stop watching cartoons?

When did I ever say anything about having to stop watching them? I follow Steven Universe, followed Korra and occasionally watch Star VS and random clips of Teen Titans Go.

The thing is that I don't get worked up over them or throw fits when things don't go my way or my favourite properties get rebooted in ways I don't like. Lord knows I've disliked a vast majority of Transformers reboots, but you're never going to find me getting mad about it

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
So why do action anime seem to be doing alright? Obviously it's still probably not the most popular genre but it feels like we still get more action shows from anime then western cartoons. My Hero Academia for example.

Plus you have web shows like RWBY that seem to be doing well to the point that it's probably one of Rooster Teeth's most popular products.

My hero academia is based on an already successful manga. It's very much a less risky proposition to produce, and is made mainly for Japanese TV. Whatever success it achieves outside Japan is just a bonus.

RWBY is pretty much a niche series. I bet it costs a fraction of what an anime or American animated show costs , and does not have to worry about selling toys or fighting for a time slot as it's main function.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
How so?

If anything gets fans up in arms, it's completely different reimagination of their nostalgia. You can't seriously tell me (and so can't the creators of this show) that this project was done without a huge part of the target audience plan aiming for nostalgia. You wouldn't bring back this "mid-to-late 80's toy commercial" without aiming for nostalgia. There's absolutely no reason for digging it up, other than nostalgia. It would have been incredibly easy calling it "LightningFoxes" and building a new brand, but that's not what has been done here. It's banking on the Thundercats name, and the only, the literally only reason for this, is nostalgia. From fans, from the potential audience, from parents of said audience, from social media attention and from the makers. It shines through in every interview and every news report about it. It's incredibly ingenuine to pretend being "suprised" about fan reaction, because that's literally what the show is made for.

Of course there will be kids who watch this without any connection to the original Thundercats, but that's a hope, not a plan. The plan is to claw onto the old show, in all regards but execution of the actual project.

Steven Universe is a great example showing how a cartoon works for itself. It's artstyle is incredibly similar but original, it works with the characters and story, with the jokes and the serious issues of the show. And it's a completely original cartoon with completely original characters, built from the ground-up as being new, original and inventive. There's a comparison to make here, but it's surely not one to pretend Thundercats 2018 is going through the same hoops and hurdles, because it's not. It's taking name, characters and IP and makes it into a - potentially - Steven Universe-like show without the huge creative work that went into it. It's taking years and years of fandom, nostalgia and expectations to instantly build an audience, and while doing so it ridicules and ignores said audience.

I can see why people would call the reimagining creative and potentially fun, and that might be an argument to make for someone, but it's surely not mine. I believe some of the artists behind the show are actual fans, but I don't believe at all that this show as a whole comes from a honest and loving place. It's banking on nostalgia, and it's not at all suprising fans are upset. (It's also little surprise to me that the makers behind this react to the backlash in an insulting and umcomfortable way, but that's also just my opinion)

So yeah, I don't believe for a second you're "suprised" if you'd tell me you ever cared for anything in a nostalgic way. The show might be good, it might even be great, I don't know. I do know that I don't like what I see at all though.

Not nostalgia. Its just using a recognizable brand to make it easier to stand out. Like all the Batman Animated shows and the now regular TMNT reboots.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Not nostalgia. Its just using a recognizable brand to make it easier to stand out. Like all the Batman Animated shows and the now regular TMNT reboots.
I disagree to a point. Batman and TMNT are far more recognizable and current, Thundercats' prime is about 20 years ago and, als many already said, the Reboot was a failure in most regards. I wouldn't call "Thundercats" recognizable branding today for anything but nostalgia, same as StarCom, DinoRiders or, I don't know, Gobots.

We probably do mean similar things though, just wording it differently.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
More so, Cartoon Networks, and by that I mean networks that show cartoons inability to adapt to the market killed the action cartoon. They could create new avenues for children to engage with the brand, other than toys. Like a video...game, where you could play it or something?
Oh shit, a videogame where kiddies buy characters via micro transactions! Characters advertised by cartoons!

Hold on, gotta make a phone call.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

My hero academia is based on an already successful manga. It's very much a less risky proposition to produce, and is made mainly for Japanese TV. Whatever success it achieves outside Japan is just a bonus.

RWBY is pretty much a niche series. I bet it costs a fraction of what an anime or American animated show costs , and does not have to worry about selling toys or fighting for a time slot as it's main function.

I mean my entire point was that action shows still seem to be doing decently in Japan. And yeah it's found success in the West. So I'm wondering why the west can't make action shows that succeed.

Can't speak on RWBY's budget but it's done we'll enough to get a few games plus appearing in the new Blazblue. But I obviously can't say just how popular it is. So fair enough their.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit, a videogame where kiddies buy characters via micro transactions! Characters advertised by cartoons!

Hold on, gotta make a phone call.

WAIT! CN EXECUTIVE NO!

just fyi action works really well in a simplified art style, not every action cartoon needs to feature well defined muscles or realistic body types. the bruce timm style employed in shows like batman tas and justice league is also super simplified and cartoony
When more cartoons that look like BTAS , give me a call

Also I dunno maybe he just likes that art style

SilentSoldier

Oct 27, 2017
I still can't get into Teen Titans Go, its just not good. Same with OK KO, it just isn't my cup of tea. Steven Universe only got great once it started expanding on the lore of gem world and Steven's mother (as a matter of fact, I only really watch the gem lore episodes and skip the townsfolk episodes entirely), This season of Star Vs also became good once it had a focused story to tell, as did the last season of Gravity Falls. I guess what I'm saying is that I'm willing to give the show a chance, but it's got a steep bar to climb for me to get invested in it since its not as visually appealing. Compared to shows like Korra, Young Justice, Thundercats 2011 (which I liked even with its character assassination of Lion-O) which I get into immediately due to in part how good they look.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Craig of The Creek, OK KO, and Steven Universe are amazing shows. I'm just tired of the channel constantly sweeping any action shows under the rug.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
That art style is fucking atrocious. Like half the point of Thundercats was to gaze dreamily at the beefy heros. It was a more innocent time, when people weren't ruining classic series with dopey childish character designs.