• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BeeKaine

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Hey I know I'm asking for it when I say that but Teen Titans Go had an episode that was talking about how white people find everything spicy and love avocados, then another episode where it makes fun of conspiracy theorist who try to tie every little thing into being the Illuminati.

Once you get past the fact it's not like the first show I really have no idea how someone couldn't find it the least bit funny

I admit I was one of those guys who hated it because it's not the original but while I think it gets too self-indulgent with the meta / fourth wall breaking it is a funny show, if nothing else for how little of a fuck it gives.

They could cut down on airing it. Like, a lot. Please, Cartoon Network. Actually show others shows...

DeeDogg

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Florida
Hey I know I'm asking for it when I say that but Teen Titans Go had an episode that was talking about how white people find everything spicy and love avocados, then another episode where it makes fun of conspiracy theorist who try to tie every little thing into being the Illuminati.

Once you get past the fact it's not like the first show I really have no idea how someone couldn't find it the least bit funny
Its annoying more than anything else. But to each his own I guess. I can't stand to watch more than 5 minutes of it

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Cartoon Network has been terrible for a long time.

Whenever they get a good cartoon they cancel it. They even canceled Justice League Action which was more "fun" and light hearted for kids...and that's canceled after one season too.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree since nearly all of the complaints arent that its in a different style, its the fact that it is using a VERY similar style to a lot of newer Cartoon Network shows (OK KO definitely comes to mind).
Those redesigns still would have gotten thrashed(maybe not as much as the current one) because they are not "realistic proportioned" and they would have been placed in a more comedic setting than a serious one.

Heck, I remember some complaints about the pre-production of the 2011 designs being "too anime!" despite the original Thundercats having animators in Japan.

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this new Thundercats is going to be good and will piss off all the angry babies who ever thought the previous Thundercats series were ever great

CN hasn't had a good show since they canceled Young Justice.
Steven Universe

and goddamn OP why are you linking the mobile version of the link, it's an affront to my eyes

Last edited:

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
What is the true behind the thundercats 2011 reboot?
What do you mean? Why it was cancelled? That IIRC was like with the He-Man reboot, the toy line not doing so great coupled with CN's shitty scheduling though more the former because toy companies still thought kids by large were interested in action figures and misreading their audience. I don't remember a lot of it but I do seem to remember it got too hung up on personal drama and love triangle stuff.

Starfire22

Banned
May 5, 2018
Oklahoma
I am not a big fan of the art style. That is the one glaring issue this new show has. I will give it a shot, but, man...this CN attempt to Klaspy Kuspo (?) the cartoons is really bad.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
What do you mean? Why it was cancelled? That IIRC was like with the He-Man reboot, the toy line not doing so great coupled with CN's shitty scheduling though more the former because toy companies still thought kids by large were interested in action figures and misreading their audience. I don't remember a lot of it but I do seem to remember it got too hung up on personal drama and love triangle stuff.
I mean something related to the creator of the series self inserting or the fact that the series was renewed for a season or something? i saw it on twitter

Wogan

Oct 28, 2017
I actually showed my parents the announcement trailer. They used to watch the show with me when I was little and probably have a stronger connection to the original show than I do, (I would have been three).

I just told them they had rebooted it and said that it wasn't being well received by fans.

They both tapped out before Lion-o got 3 seconds into his introduction. Dad said the voice was crap, (I explained it was meant to be jokey and he just shook his head).

With mum she just walked away saying nope.

Just thought it was fun to share their reactions.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
i see people acting like Steven Universe doesn't look good and just smh

HypedBeast

Oct 29, 2017
Those redesigns still would have gotten thrashed(maybe not as much as the current one) because they are not "realistic proportioned" and they would have been placed in a more comedic setting than a serious one.

Heck, I remember some complaints about the pre-production of the 2011 designs being "too anime!" despite the original Thundercats having animators in Japan.
I guess we'll never know for sure, but I just dont think this will be looked back on fondly.
Who knows maybe this show will be a laugh riot, but I know not to expect much out of current CN.

mrbeggar

Dec 31, 2017
Just FYI. I just read on his insta that voice actor Andrew Kishino (Kish for those Old School Canadian rap fans out there) is going to be in this series.

RoyaleDuke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nowhere
Good lord I thought they rebooted this forever ago in like the mid 2000s. It had some good animation and design from what I remember and tried to keep the aesthetics of the old show but made it a bit more dark and gritty. Honestly, I remember liking it and wondering if Scooby Doo could find a similar balance(then Mystery Incorporated happened! yay!).

This looks awful.

OK KO is a great little show from what little I've seen of it inbetween finishing up Adventure Time(long time fan) and gumball. I think thundercats is the kind of show that doesn't fit the aesthetics of OK-KO.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
People saying this style doesn't fit Thundercats aesthetic when there was an entire episode about Mexican takeout food smh

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
I also never got the "too anime" complaints about the 2011 reboot, maybe it was the eyes? Either way it was dumb since the original was pretty much anime to begin with.

I actually showed my parents the announcement trailer. They used to watch the show with me when I was little and probably have a stronger connection to the original show than I do, (I would have been three).

I just told them they had rebooted it and said that it wasn't being well received by fans.

They both tapped out before Lion-o got 3 seconds into his introduction. Dad said the voice was crap, (I explained it was meant to be jokey and he just shook his head).

With mum she just walked away saying nope.

Just thought it was fun to share their reactions.
Did they see the 2011 reboot? What'd they think of that?
Good lord I thought they rebooted this forever ago in like the mid 2000s. It had some good animation and design from what I remember and tried to keep the aesthetics of the old show but made it a bit more dark and gritty. Honestly, I remember liking it and wondering if Scooby Doo could find a similar balance(then Mystery Incorporated happened! yay!).

This looks awful.

OK KO is a great little show from what little I've seen of it inbetween finishing up Adventure Time(long time fan) and gumball. I think thundercats is the kind of show that doesn't fit the aesthetics of OK-KO.

Are you thinking of the He-Man reboot maybe? That was from in 2002 to 2004. Thundercats had its own in 2011.

Wogan

Oct 28, 2017
Did they see the 2011 reboot? What'd they think of that?

My dad has a lot of nostalgia for the show based on the time spent on watching it with me. Me showing him this got him reminiscing about how I used to roleplay with my sword of Omens toy, (something I can't even remember, still have the toy though)

He doesn't really have any desire to watch anything that isn't a Disney film nowadays, so getting him to watch an episode of the 2011 reboot would be like pulling teeth. He hates watching movies in general though recent exceptions to that are Guardians of the Galaxy and Thor Raganok.

So I guess he's a low-key cosmic Marvel fan without knowing it.

Mum would probably have enjoyed it. She liked Avatar. And it had that vibe.

Edit: showed them the 2011 trailer. Mum actually watched it when it came out and liked it.

Dad said it looked cool. Recognised the characters. Said it looked like the original in a good way. That pretty impressive for him.

Last edited:

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I don't know what it is with Cartoon Network cancelling DC shows left and right now

they treated Justice League, Teen Titans and Brave & the Bold well

but Green Lantern and Young Justice and apparently Justice League Action are being done dirty wtf Cartoon Network
All the more reason for DC to invest in their new streaming service. Things change.

Feral

Oct 25, 2017
Your Mom
Mum would probably have enjoyed it. She liked Avatar. And it had that vibe.
iirc the 2011 remake felt like maybe 20% Avatar (really, it was mostly just the first three episodes) and the rest was sort of trying to imitate the action figure based villain of the week concept of the old show, which I never watched anyway and which is horribly outdated. The writing was pretty terrible, all the characters unlikable or unremarkable, the show was far far away from ever reaching the quality of Avatar, it wasn't even trying to do the same thing, they were sticking way too close to the original show in my opinion

it just looked quite alright

Wogan

Oct 28, 2017
iirc the 2011 remake felt like maybe 20% Avatar (really, it was mostly just the first three episodes) and the rest was sort of trying to imitate the action figure based villain of the week concept of the old show, which I never watched anyway and which is horribly outdated. The writing was pretty terrible, all the characters unlikable or unremarkable, the show was far far away from ever reaching the quality of Avatar, it wasn't even trying to do the same thing, they were sticking way too close to the original show in my opinion

it just looked quite alright

I actually just showed her the trailer and she remembered watching it when it came out. She recalled the plant people with the short life span episode.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
The people who are threatening the animators lives and calling it "CalArts" trash really need to get a life.

The number of people calling this "Tumblrized" is also alarming (not here mind you).

Last edited:

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
A few thoughts from DuckTales reboot co-producer, writer, and story editor Frank Angones. The back and forth discussion later on is an insightful read as well.

https://twitter.com/FrankAngones/status/997918001654521856

"All this is to say, if you believe a character you love is a strong enough character, have faith that they can survive a little exploration and reinvention. If they only work in one very specific context, it's possible they weren't that great to begin with."

Well said.

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread is full of sad depressed man babies.
I work in this industry so this all gets too close.
Everyone's taste seems to get stuck when they are 12.

Last edited:

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
I read a thing on twitter that the 2011 show was actually renewed and was being worked on, but then CN got a lego show cheaper, so canned the second season.

Plus it was meant to be on the Adult Swim Toonamj block initially.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
We need to see the dark and gritty comic in animated version

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
This thread is full of sad depressed man babies.
I work in this industry so this all gets too close.
Everyone's taste seems to get stuck when they are 12.

Dude, don't remind me. I work in the Vancouver branch of the animation industry, and I don't know whenever if I should laugh or shake my head with some of the comments I've seen.

I draw the line at death threats, though. No one should NEVER have to deal with that.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I'm frankly surprised there's so many defenders of a mid-to-late 80s toy commercial cartoon in the first place.

Agreed, the original Thundercats bored me even as a kid. Unlike the original Ninja Turtles cartoon which is still fun to watch because it's a self aware parody with crazy sci-fi B movie plots, Thundercats was just boring.

Txai

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2pq842e.jpg

Lol!