• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vee

Oct 27, 2017
I actually really love Gumball, and I do appreciate the love that's put into most of the shows included in that .Gif, but even I can admit that modern cartoons all suffer from looking the same. Similar to how many adult oriented cartoons look similar, and how there's a lot of generic anime aesthetics, the sort of "for-kids-but-mainly-for-teens-and-young-adults" animation genre do have a lot of visual tropes consistent across multiple shows, networks, and creators.

I can greatly understand the fatigue of this style, and even share some of it, while enjoying the shows that are guilty of it.
Part of me feels that gif is reaching with Dipper being compared to Clarence. But I can see what you mean especially when you take older cartoons into account. For example Dexters lab, Ed edd and eddy, courage, and PPG have vastly different styles compared to the shows in the gif.

Ive just seen that gif used multiple times in the past to accuse animators of those shows of being lazy and i just get defensive when animators are unfairly accused of being lazy.

Sussudio

Oct 27, 2017
I have mix feeling about this new Thundercats. I would have preferred a different animation style, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

And that opening at the end of the clip is GORGEOUS

That little snippet of Lion-O crushing Tygra in the intro tho. If this show is gonna be shitting on Tygra throughout, then I'm all in baby!

Sorry, I'm still salty about the 2011 version, they did my boy Lion-O dirty man.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
what is sad is to see complains from people that watched this in the 80s.

I grow up watching ThunderCats back in the 80's, it was for kids back then, and this one if for the kids of today, I see no problem.

I always think is odd supposedly grown ups complaining about this kind of stuff, like the new ninja turtles, thundercats, or other reboots that is not aimed at grown ups, but kids.

there are people on twitter talking about muscular structure of the intro video... cmon hahaha
it's a kids cartoon, let it go, you had yours already.

But how can you say these aren't aimed at the grown ups? Who else would give a shit about thunder cats?

Edit: it's not that I don't think the style is neat, it's just so fucking tired at this point, and seeing it forced onto thunder cats seems so inappropriate.

Last edited:

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I bet you dollars to donuts the first season will seem really irreverent and not go anywhere but there'll be a The Return/Jail Break moment where it becomes must watch TV

SENPAIatLARGE

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Posted my thoughts on Discord, which were initially negative as everyone else's. After giving it some thought, here's what I said
YMMXgkF.jpg

At some point you just gotta realize when you're being the old man in a situation and move on. Cartoons aren't for adults to enjoy.
Have you heard of a little thing called ANIME?

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Posted my thoughts on Discord, which were initially negative as everyone else's. After giving it some thought, here's what I said
YMMXgkF.jpg

At some point you just gotta realize when you're being the old man in a situation and move on. Cartoons aren't for adults to enjoy.

That's kind of a shitty outlook plenty of cartoon adults can enjoy. You gotta understand sometimes you ain't the primarly demo, but plenty. Its also insullting because adults make it, and I can have their work criticized. I enjoy plenty of cartoon nowadays, and can acknowledge that this thundercats isn't for me, and also think it doesn't look great

Ronin

Oct 25, 2017
I get a kick out of grown men getting upset about children's programming. Especially reboots of children's shows that were never good in the first place.

Honestly this looks more fun than the original Thundercats ever dreamed of. I thought that show sucked even when I was a kid. The intro and theme song were awesome though.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I get a kick out of grown men getting upset about children's programming. Especially reboots of children's shows that were never good in the first place.

Honestly this looks more fun than the original Thundercats ever dreamed of. I thought that show sucked even when I was a kid. The intro and theme song were awesome though.
Why though? Grown men and women make, I'm a grown man that makes art sometimes meant specifically for children.

You can criticize my art. LIke yeah, obviously your life shouldn't rotate around it, but no one is doing that. They just saying it looks kinda wack. And they can say that, whats your problem

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know the original one is not that good but the 2011 was bad and this one looks awful too. I wish we got an al actual good Thundercats series

Ronin

Oct 25, 2017
Why though? Grown men and women make, I'm a grown man that makes art sometimes meant specifically for children.

You can criticize my art. LIke yeah, obviously your life shouldn't rotate around it, but no one is doing that. They just saying it looks kinda wack. And they can say that, whats your problem
That's fair. I'm mostly talking about those acting as if their childhood has been ruined by this existing. I'm not super crazy about the art personally, but this also isn't really for me either.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, the art style is pretty baller but it is funny how it has that Cartoon Network look to it. Like if I saw this, and someone told me it was fan art, I'd think, "oh they're doing it like a modern cartoon network show".

Also, even if you're an old ass man that watched the 80s cartoon, you can't deny that intro isn't beautifully animated. Also, you're old as fuck, this show isn't for you.

Stage on

Oct 25, 2017
Also, even if you're an old ass man that watched the 80s cartoon, you can't deny that intro isn't beautifully animated. Also, you're old as fuck, this show isn't for you.

What's the point of bringing back an old ip like this if not for the fans? Not like Kids these days would even know what Thundercats is let alone care.

Deleted member 1258

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't get why people are still trying to get upset about this. I mean, I was initially too, but then realized I was being an idiot and that this show isn't not for people like me. This is show is made for children. It's not made for you, watch something else.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México

For those upset over Thundercats right now: there was a visually stunning, heartfelt, story driven, action oriented reboot of Thundercats in 2011 that exceeded all expectations and showed a passionate respect to the source material. Nobody watched it and it was cancelled.

The new one looks fun. Will definitively watch to see if it's good.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
What's the point of bringing back an old ip like this if not for the fans? Not like Kids these days would even know what Thundercats is let alone care.

I would assume the point is to leverage the IP and reintroduce it for said kids. Same as TMNT, Transformers, My Little Pony, Scooby Doo and many others have done over the span of decades.

I think the designs look repulsive, personally, but I'm also aware that this reboot is not aimed at me.

Stage on

Oct 25, 2017
You think this show is for fans of a cartoon that aired in 85?

My point is that point of taking an existing ip and rebooting it instead of making something new from scratch is that it has a built in fan base already. Ideally you'd want to get old fans back as well as create new ones. When you're reboot has upset most of said existing fanbase just by announcing it clearly you're doing something wrong.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
I hate literally everything about this. Not one piece of this news has any redeeming value whatsoever.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
My point is that point of taking an existing ip and rebooting it instead of making something new from scratch is that it has a built in fan base already. Ideally you'd want to get old fans back as well as create new ones. When you're reboot has upset most of said existing fanbase just by announcing it clearly you're doing something wrong.
Because Thundercats is cool and they're hoping to get kids in 2018 to watch and enjoy the show. They already did the old Thundercats in 2011 and they canceled that, do you honestly think they were going to keep making shows for an audience that didn't watch the 2011 series? This isn't for 35 year old dudes that were watching Thundercats in 1985 because those dudes didn't tune in for 2011 and they aren't going to tune in to 2018's.

If you're genuinely sitting there annoyed that a cartoon aimed for children, that is airing on a children's channel, isn't pandering to 80s kids then, well, what the hell?

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I'm sure CN has learned at this point that serious/mature cartoons don't pay the bills, so everything has to be a whacky comedy if they hope to get ratings. it's a fucking tragedy, but we do live in the darkest timeline, so it shouldn't be a surprise.

Stage on

Oct 25, 2017
Because Thundercats is cool and they're hoping to get kids in 2018 to watch and enjoy the show. They already did the old Thundercats in 2011 and they canceled that, do you honestly think they were going to keep making shows for an audience that didn't watch the 2011 series? This isn't for 35 year old dudes that were watching Thundercats in 1985 because those dudes didn't tune in for 2011 and they aren't going to tune in to 2018's.

If you're genuinely sitting there annoyed that a cartoon aimed for children, that is airing on a children's channel, isn't pandering to 80s kids then, well, what the hell?

Thundercats 2011 failed because Cartoon network's screwing it up every step of the way. They didn't advertise it, kept switching the time slots at random. They basically set it up to fail because they don't think action shows will do will creating a self for filling prophecy. It didn't help that the toys weren't selling because they where absolute garbage.

The entire thing that makes thundercats cool is that it took itself seriously despite the outlandish material. Campy action is not the same as slapstick comedy which is why this new show misses the entire point

This isn't a brand new ip. It's a reboot, which means they are specifically playing on our nostalgia to try and drive sales. Children might be the primary demographic that they are aiming for but you're kidding yourself if you don't think they aren't aiming to get old fans as well, otherwise they wouldn't have used an old ip to create interest in the first place.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't a brand new ip. It's a reboot, which means they are specifically playing on our nostalgia to try and drive sales
No, you're not longer the target demographic. When they're making this show do you think they're thinking of YOU before kids? Do you think Cartoon Network shows take into account adult's over children? Do they know fans of the 80s or 2011s cartoon will watch this? Yeah but they're not making the show FOR you.

ΑGITΩ

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I go in, expecting season 2 of the old reboot...that fucking ended in a cliffhanger. I leave with the usual childhood ruined of current kids channels.

Stage on

Oct 25, 2017
No, you're not longer the target demographic. When they're making this show do you think they're thinking of YOU before kids? Do you think Cartoon Network shows take into account adult's over children? Do they know fans of the 80s or 2011s cartoon will watch this? Yeah but they're not making the show FOR you.

The idea it's not "for you" is flawed because why even rebooting a cartoon from the 80s otherwise? They are obviously trying to harvest the goodwill the old series has with its fans, but they are bastardizing everything we love in the process.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
The idea it's not "for you" is flawed because why even rebooting a cartoon from the 80s otherwise? They are obviously trying to harvest the goodwill the old series has with its fans, but they are bastardizing everything we love in the process.
Because it's a cool IP that they feel can appeal to kids now, I already said this.

I honestly don't understand how you can be, what, 35 years old and think that a cartoon in 2018 needs to pander specifically to you and you only, especially after they already tried it once 7 years ago. Kid's entertainment moves on past you, you're not going to be the target demographic for the next 40 years, man.

Stage on

Oct 25, 2017
Because it's a cool IP that they feel can appeal to kids now, I already said this.

I honestly don't understand how you can be, what, 35 years old and think that a cartoon in 2018 needs to pander specifically to you and you only, especially after they already tried it once 7 years ago. Kid's entertainment moves on past you, you're not going to be the target demographic for the next 40 years, man.

Just to be clear I never wanted it to pander specifically to me. I would have been perfectly happy with something more in line with the 2011 reboot where it at least tries to keep true to the series roots as an action cartoon and not some dumb comedy.

Simply because a previous reboot failed isn't an excuse to not try again. I mean just look at Voltron as an example. It's had prior reboots that did not go over well but pretty much everyone loves the current series because it aims to please both fans new and old alike.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm basically two minds about the new Thundercats show.

I don't like the way it looks. At the same time, I'm curious to see if the makers actually intend to focus on action as much as they say. A lot of cartoons these days don't have enjoyable action. (The new Voltron show is kinda funny, because I think it actually gets less interesting whenever they have to fight in Voltron. The hand to hand combat actually has some nice choreography. Voltron is a giant mech that just powers down when it's hit enough...)

The opening to the show actually does have more animation than I usually expect of cartoons now.

(Geez, that like/dislike bar already...)

Also, just throwing this out there.

cableratings_2018.jpg

I'll admit, I don't know much about animation in regards to cartoons these days. (I wish I knew more.) That said, the decline in viewers these days means CN/Disney/Nick probably wanna focus just on what's hot. Considering kids might just shrug at the toys, comedies are where you wanna place your bets.

I'm legitimately surprised by this chart. I assumed the shitty schedules and the leaning on comedy cartoons was because they were bringing in the ratings but looking at this slide across all the networks makes me wonder why they're doubling down on something that's clearly not working out for them.

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
Probably said a million times already, but as soon as I saw "Cartoon Network" in the title, I knew it was gonna be some Teen Titans Go!-ish thing. Meh.

Netflix should've taken the rights, cause Voltron is amazing.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Was never a huge TC fan but I enjoyed some of the early 2010s show. Art style-wise, it does look a little derivative of its contemporaries. Skews much younger. Like, the 2011 show is Pacific Rim, and this new one is PR: Uprising.

I can't be too mad. If they found a way to get kids interested in some old ip, go for it.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
cartoon network had a good run for awhile, flapjack, chowder, camp lazlo, fosters home... where has all that creativity gone.

now we get cheap looking cartoons that all look the same and are easy to churn out. This era might be worse than those dark ages of cartoon network real