• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
0IU4Rlp.png

CnGAlyN.png
Platform(s): PC (Windows, Mac, Linux), Xbox One, Switch
Release Date:
July 23rd, 2020​
Genre: Metroidvania
Price: $19.99 USD
Player(s): 1
Format: Digital
Developer: Phobia Game Studio
Publisher: Devolver Digital
Size: ~500 MB

JampackedSpiffyBarnacle-size_restricted.gif

UNuLjSQ.png

What is Carrion?
"CARRION is a reverse horror game in which you assume the role of an amorphous creature of unknown origin. Stalk and consume those that imprisoned you to spread fear and panic throughout the facility. Grow and evolve as you tear down this prison and acquire more and more devastating abilities on the path to retribution."

How much of a Metroidvania is it?
It's more linear than others in the genre, but you still go about exploring spaces to become more powerful to open up more areas.

How long is the game?
About 4 to 5 hours.

Physical Release?
Yes, on Switch via both Limited Run Games and Special Reserve Games. Orders open on July 23rd.
https://www.limitedrungames.com/collections/nintendo/products/carrion-switch-exclusive-variant

Ultrawide support?
Yes.

Game Pass?
Yes, the game is part of Game Pass on both PC and Xbox One. If you are an active member of that service you can play Carrion for no extra cost.

Play Anywhere?
No. Buying the game on Xbox will not get you the game on PC and vice-versa.

ij152lr.png

ss_8b6e12215364e7cb4e401bfdbb9709f72bb4aa22.600x338.jpg
ss_85bfec758850d3942981ce6a64eba6e25c98e37d.600x338.jpg

ss_a86a9b8e5910f2f3f884b53bf51a6eeb3b646e08.600x338.jpg
ss_462e2e8b586b8ca5901111a95cc126f007d98843.600x338.jpg

kNHe28A.png

Metacritic
Xbox One | PC | Switch
Opencritic

Press Start 8/10
Carrion is another hit from a publisher that has built its name on delivering to us unconventional and unexpected experiences. Devolver's seal of approval is more than ever evidence of a classic as Carrion's credentials as an incredible Metroidvania title as well as an inverse horror experience will never be in question.

Arstechnica "Arstechnica Approved"
Honestly, if you've ever wanted to fake like a xenomorph in a video game, Carrion offers a better facsimile than any officially licensed Alien game.

USgamer 3.5/5
Carrion is an energetic and taut game that flips the tables on The Thing, putting you in command of the alien creature and tasking you with simply going to town on the hapless humans surrounding you. The loose physics-based gameplay is satisfying to play, and the enigmatic creature's bloodlust is crucially never too powerful to render the armed humans that challenge you entirely helpless. Although Carrion's story falls largely flat, it's a very satisfying slaughterhouse of gnashing teeth and tentacles.

Z5VS9Ot.png

Official Site

Last edited:

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely delicious OT! Stalk and consume everything! Super excited to try this out on Gamepass finally, and then purchase on Steam at some point!

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Thank you gamepass

can't wait until tomorrow when I can try this out

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Oh it is a Metroidvania, then? Nice, I wasn't too sure of the genre. I'll probably get around to playing it soon.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Game is very gross. and the monster looks great. played for about 10 or so minutes

Not a big metroidvania fan so it's not for me but if you like The Thing and Metroid you'll probably love this

Jul 25, 2018
was quick enough to redeem one of the keys for this game that were in the devolverland expo trailer. can't wait to play after work tomorrow

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
im torn, should i play with keyboardmouse or controler

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
I was thinking how cool it would be if they added some roguelike DLC mode to this where it's just you as a regular dude trying to escape this thing through procedurally generated sections of the lab, with the creature stalking you and getting stronger with every upgrade and piece of equipment you get.

So yeah, I guess I just want a good The Thing video game.

This game looks awesome. I will for sure get it after I hear some good impressions.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This games great, it's some really good dumb fun, the killing and chaos are so gruesome.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Easy Allies Review:

Carrion starts strong with a solid premise but fails to fully capitalize on its ideas. The novelty of eating faceless humans wears thin as the sole motivation to escape isn't expanded upon in any meaningful way. The environments fail to encourage rewarding exploration while the puzzles and combat encounters quickly become routine. It's hard to write Carrion off entirely because the novel concept has its charm, but without more depth and variety, it's easy to lose your appetite for consuming flesh.

Score: 6.0 / 10

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Just so damn satisfying, the sound effects have a great role in making me feel like I am the great red blob of destruction!

Just a really smooth fun game with just enough puzzle to mix it up. Great game.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Easy Allies Review:

Carrion starts strong with a solid premise but fails to fully capitalize on its ideas. The novelty of eating faceless humans wears thin as the sole motivation to escape isn't expanded upon in any meaningful way. The environments fail to encourage rewarding exploration while the puzzles and combat encounters quickly become routine. It's hard to write Carrion off entirely because the novel concept has its charm, but without more depth and variety, it's easy to lose your appetite for consuming flesh.

Damn. Curious to see more reviews.

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
Easy Allies Review:

Reminds me of My Friend Pedro, which is a game I was really looking forward to and ended up being kind of just alright in my opinion.

Want to read more reviews, though.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
Surprisingly short then. That's disappointing to hear. The devs said they might add Workshop support on Steam and possibly a level editor, though you can already build custom maps in Tiled for the game; that should extend its life a bit (on PC).

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a good week for indies. Panzer Paladin yesterday and Carrion tomorrow. Looking forward to playing it.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Nice OT

I'll be buying the physical so I won't be playing at launch, unless I decide to re-up my Gamepass.

Anyways, hope everyone playing at launch has a great time!

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if the EA review is going to be an outlier. Really interested in this but in the middle of moving so wouldn't have time to play. Curious to see what the response is here

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
opencritic.com

CARRION Reviews

Carrion's unique premise of playing as the monster is backed up by great puzzle and action gameplay, culminating in one of this year's most unique indie releases.