• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DeaconBlues

Nov 28, 2019
Fucking tabloid trash has a lot to answer for in this case.

And there's always one in threads like this just looking to post a horribly ill informed hot take.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, the law does not equal morality. In the US, you can walk around yelling slurs and it's totally legal. A person could groom a child and have sex with them the minute they hit legal age and that may not be illegal either. We only look to the law to tell us society's base expectation of not being sent through the judicial system, not to decide what it right or wrong.
Yup, that kind of relationship is still predatory even if it isn't illegal. It was predatory when Seinfield did it, it was predatory when Paul Walker did it, it was predatory when she did it too.

This is still horrible and tragic, and the way the garbage British tabloids treated her is abhorrent. Much like with Kobe you don't need to whitewash her poor behavior to mourn her passing. She clearly needed help, not constant villification.
To be fair he was legal and knew what he was doing.
Would you say the same about a 16 year old girl? Again, you can mourn her death without hand-waving predatory relationships between teenagers and adults twice their age.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
Yup, that kind of relationship is still predatory even if it isn't illegal. It was predatory when Seinfield did it, it was predatory when Paul Walker did it, it was predatory when she did it too.

This is still horrible and tragic, and the way the garbage British tabloids treated her is abhorrent. Much like with Kobe you don't need to whitewash her poor behavior to mourn her passing. She clearly needed help, not constant villification.

Would you say the same about a 16 year old girl? Again, you can mourn her death without hand-waving predatory relationships between teenagers and adults twice their age.
He was 17.
He was a hot shit pop star who told everyone and made it clear in interviews that he wanted her.

Oct 25, 2017
This is really fucking sad. Regardless of her history or what she'd been accused of she didn't deserve to be hounded to the point of taking her own life.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
I always see people saying that social media allows people to act up in a way they wouldn't in real life due to the anonymity etc. As time passes I think we can say that perhaps in reality social media has just revealed the actual misanthropic truth - A lot of humans when not held to account are in fact pricks and are legitimately vile, uneducated people.

Hence The Sun being so popular, Boris Johnson, Donald Trump and the likes of Katie Hopkins and her ilk getting a fanbase.

softfocus

Oct 30, 2017
I think ITV need to investigate the culture around Love Island. There's been a couple of contestants who have committed suicide as well as Caroline.
They need to change how the show is presented. It breeds a gang up mentality on social media, hating on one of the members then that hate follows the contestant off the show, where it leads to a tragic conclusion.
Social media platforms need to have a stricter policy on ganging up on people. I know sometimes it's funny to see a shithead being ratio'd but if it prevents this happening so frequently, it's a price worth paying.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
User banned (3 days): inappropriate commentary
The reality is if reports are true it was a bad assault and he was begging for help on the phone. All this would of come out at trial. And if you rely on the media to make you a living it is not surprising that the same people can not take it when it is taken away.

it is a bit like a baby and breast feeding. That breast is its life. Same with these sort of celebrities. Positive media is their breast

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The reality is if reports are true it was a bad assault and he was begging for help on the phone. All this would of come out at trial. And if you rely on the media to make you a living it is not surprising that the same people can not take it when it is taken away.

it is a bit like a baby and breast feeding. That breast is its life. Same with these sort of celebrities. Positive media is their breast

She is a TV presenter who also did children's TV earlier in her career, she was not just a reality TV personality. She was being harassed and attacked by the both the media and by many people on social media.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You might want to do this in another thread, not in one about someone that has just died.
Fair enough. FWIW this is extremely horrible and I'm saddened by her suicide. As someone who has struggled with suicidal ideation, I understand the pain. I was also groomed and abused as a teenager so it bothers me to see people brush off predatory relationships, even if the context is someone's death.
I want to have a discussion, you want to be a dick.
You win, you get to be a dick.
I'm sorry, but saying "he wanted it" is not a good answer, it's not having a discussion, and it is hand waving the predatory nature of that kind of relationship.

Either way her death is still sad but I don't understand why you feel the need to downplay the fact that people 30+ dating high school aged teenagers is inherently predatory.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
User banned (1 month): hostility, dismissive commentary around abuse, power dynamics in relationships and mental health over multiple posts
Fair enough. FWIW this is extremely horrible and I'm saddened by her suicide. As someone who has struggled with suicidal ideation, I understand the pain. I was also groomed and abused as a teenager so it bothers me to see people brush off predatory relationships, even if the context is someone's death.

I'm sorry, but saying "he wanted it" is not a good answer, it's not having a discussion, and it is hand waving the predatory nature of that kind of relationship.

Either way her death is still sad but I don't understand why you feel the need to downplay the fact that people 30+ dating high school aged teenagers is inherently predatory.
How about a mentally unstable women being preyed on by a mentally stable young man?
All the info came from the papers.
You using that and crusading against me is pathetic.
Dick on King dick, it's not like somebody died, someone who was judged and killed themselves.

Ignore list.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
To be fair, the law does not equal morality. In the US, you can walk around yelling slurs and it's totally legal. A person could groom a child and have sex with them the minute they hit legal age and that may not be illegal either. We only look to the law to tell us society's base expectation of not being sent through the judicial system, not to decide what it right or wrong.
Yeah no shit. Preach to the converted.

But by definition she was not a "pedophile" - which was the word used in the post I quoted. That's it. I can assure you that 17 year old Harry Styles was not prepubescent.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How about a mentally unstable women being preyed on by a mentally stable young man?
All the info came from the papers.
You using that and crusading against me is pathetic.
Dick on King dick, it's not like somebody died, someone who was judged and killed themselves.

Ignore list.
Er...he preyed upon her how exactly?
I'm not crusading against you, nor am I trying to be a dick. I have a different perspective than you. You clearly don't want to have that discussion and that's fine. It's horrible that she's dead and I wish she was still alive.

Paxton25

May 9, 2018

So because she was double his age she's a predator ? Come on. What ever you think it was still legal in this country. Give it a rest the women's dead !

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 month): Inappropriate commentary in a sensitive thread
Ah she was a cunt. Fuck her

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Incredibly sad news. Can only imagine how shit things have been for her this past few months. From being the face of the most talked about show on tv to being sacked and charged with assault is a proper fall from grace. Then the piranhas of the UK press would be stirring up all kinds of shit, she probably felt like she would never work again. You can understand why she felt that life was hopeless. Regardless of whether she did assault her bf she clearly needed help. RIP

Deleted member 50232

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Seriously what is wrong with some of the people in this thread? Urgh.

Incredibly tragic about Caroline, she seemed such a nice person. The tabloid press in the UK must share some responsibility, as must all the people on social media who slagged her off, only to now say how upset they are about her death. Fucking hypocrites.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RIP. She was clearly troubled but its never nice to see someone so young take their own life.

The UK tabloid press are savages and I cant imagine having them hound your every moment to get dirt, and its sad to see toxic gossip-y outrage culture clam another victim.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
The tabloids have pushed this woman who needed help into an early grave, and will now act like they loved her now she's gone.

Rest in peace.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
While the tabloid media are very much to blame for this and have her blood on their hands it has to be said that it wasn't just their fault. It was also the fault of everyday people buying the shitty rags in the first place and also the people online, posting on social media usually anonymously that has driven her to suicide.

Tabloids are trash but people in general aren't much better.

It's also sad to look back at her Twitter and see that a lot of her most recent likes were about being alone and suicide.

Murdy Plops

Banned
Dec 21, 2018
You know. Reading some of the comments in this thread really fucking trouble me. A woman has taken her own life after being hounded by the press and internet trolls for months; and I come to this post and I see evidence of the same culture/attitude.

Behind every celebrity, sports personality, developer, and games studio is a human being. It's incredibly easy to forget that. I think people need to treat others like you yourself and your family would like to be treated... DESPITE what they've done or simply been accused of.

This whole 'cancel' culture really needs to stop. We live in a developed society with higher authorities and police, its their job to do the investigating. At the moment the public are no better than an angry lynch mob looking to accuse the next person of being a witch... Dunk her in the water... If she survives; burn her at the stake.

It's time we start treating our fellow man/woman as our next door neighbours. Peace out xox

Crimsonskies

Alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
I think this is tragic and the SUN the garbage paper that it is did something similar to Princess Diana back in the day leading to SUN reporters being mobbed by angry people on the streets, we also have the Harry and Meghan situation which they also went all out with their disgusting articles.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Terrible news, don't know much about her outside of her tv work but she seemed friendly and bubbly, she was great on Strictly.

No surprise the media are scum both ways and much of society is too and social media enables the worse and makes it very easy. Dog piling, hate without consequence, action without thought. We live in a sad time.

There was a time when they could have hammered the papers but it seems accepting lies and hate is fine as long you get some investigative journalism now and then.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What the tabloids did to Meghan, in terms of her portrayal had racism written all over it with invisible ink, it's wasn't hard to decode. They thrive on the suffering of others. I feel for Flack and her family, very unfortunate.

Wireframe

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I remember her from When Games Attack with dah gawd Dominic Diamond on Bravo. Gone too soon :(

Only when their braindead readership demands they uphold a modicum of journalistic integrity. So never.
I remember that show!

Really sad news. She must've seen she would be prosecuted by the police (even after her bf retracted his accusation) and saw no other way out. As a Liverpudlian, fuck the S*n.

Oct 27, 2017
She wasn't a pedophile, he was 16. Frown upon it for sure but legally she did nothing wrong.

Two sides to every story with regards to the lamp incident. We have no idea if she was suffering psychological abuse from her partner or whatever leading up to the incident. It doesn't make it ok, and I know I'd be less fair if it were the other way around, but yeah.

At the end of the day, to go as far as to commit suicide she must have been deeply troubled, and it's therefore worth keeping her actions in that context.

Psychological abuse from her partner? Where did you get that shit from? Would you be saying that if it was other way around? So that's what made her get a lamp and beat him up with it. He then refused to press charges which is usually the case with domestic abuse where the victims just do not want to go through with it. But the CPS decided they had enough evidence to go with the case.

She had issues, but lets not blame this on the partner for Christ sakes.