• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
FZKxYu6WIAIuYSX

www.stereogum.com

Carly Rae Jepsen Announces New Album 'The Loneliest Time'

Carly Rae Jepsen has announced a new album called The Loneliest Time, which will be out on October 21. Its the follow-up the 2019’s Dedicated and its accompanying Side B, which arrived the following year. The album announcement was preceded by the very good lead single “Western Wind,” which was...

Carly Rae Jepsen has announced a new album called The Loneliest Time, which will be out on October 21. Its the follow-up the 2019's Dedicated and its accompanying Side B, which arrived the following year. The album announcement was preceded by the very good lead single "Western Wind," which was produced by Rostam Batmanglij. Other collaborators teased in the Loneliest Time press release include Tavish Crowe, Bullion, Captain Cuts, John Hill, Kyle Shearer, and Alex Hope.

"I'm quite fascinated by loneliness. It can be really beautiful when you turn it over and look at it," Jepsen wrote on social media. "Just like love, it can cause some extreme human reactions."

Jepsen is going on tour this fall with Empress Of.

No tracklist details yet, but the next single appears to be called "Beach House" as its the only other one that appears on the Apple Music pre-save page.

This follows the first single, "Western Wind," which was released about three months ago.

www.youtube.com

Carly Rae Jepsen - Western Wind (Official Video)

Listen to Western Wind here: https://CarlyRaeJepsen.lnk.to/WesternWindListen to The Loneliest Time out now: https://CarlyRaeJepsen.lnk.to/TheLoneliestTimeFol...

anigif_sub-buzz-31571-1533500328-1.gif

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
That's a lot further away than I expected based on when the single came out.

I'll definitely give it a listen but the single didn't really stick with me. Hope there's some good stuff on there.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I've been hot and cold on her since Emotion but no doubt I'm still gonna check it

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Believe me, I tried as hard as any CRJ stan to fall in love with Dedicated, but I just couldn't. It's meh.

To each their own, though.
Dedicated wasn't nearly as good as Emotion but I still enjoyed it a lot. I don't think anything she puts out is going to be as good as Emotion so I keep my expectations in check on that front. But that said, Western Wind did nothing for me and I hope the whole album isn't like that.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Western Wind feels like the label trying their hardest to find a good lead single in an album that is probably much different. At least I hope so. That song is borderline bad at worst and forgettable at best.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
Dropping a bad single 6 months in advance of the album doesn't inspire or convey confidence.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Dedicated wasn't nearly as good as Emotion but I still enjoyed it a lot. I don't think anything she puts out is going to be as good as Emotion so I keep my expectations in check on that front. But that said, Western Wind did nothing for me and I hope the whole album isn't like that.

I like Dedicated almost as much as Emotion now, but Emotion is such a specific vibe and Dedicated is really different, I'm not surprised when people have a hard time clicking with both.

Dropping a bad single 6 months in advance of the album doesn't inspire or convey confidence.

It's a good song, but a weird pick for a single. I'm expecting a real album-ass album if this deep cut b-side sounding song is the closest to a radio single on here.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Looking forward to this a lot. After seeing her in London I'm hoping she's on tour again soon too.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Can't wait. Warmed up to Western Wind. I prefer the Emotion-era, but that's mostly because I'm a big fan of big synthy pop-productions, Dedicated was a bit more subdued for my liking.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait. I actually liked Western Wind.

Also Dedicated Side B is not far below Emotion, and I will die on this hill.

Deleted member 106050

Nov 26, 2021
Love CRJ forever and always, but my expectations for this aren't particularly high.

That Dedicated was mediocre, as has most of the stuff she has put out since?

Believe me, I tried as hard as any CRJ stan to fall in love with Dedicated, but I just couldn't. It's meh.

To each their own, though.

Sorry for the triple quote, but this is exactly where I'm at. I absolutely loved EMOTION and EMOTION Side B. They are in my Top 5 albums of all time. Then came Cut to the Feeling and Oh. My. God. A perfect pop song. That triple play put her in the pantheon of pop legends for me. Went back on her catalog and found a ton of songs I really love, even if they are more vanilla pop (Tiny Little Bows, More than a Memory, Guitar String / Wedding Ring, Your Heart is a Muscle, Talk to Me, etc.)

Party for One. Loved it. Upbeat, catchy, a bit naughty. But then Dedicated was released and... fell flat for me. Dedicated Side B was better, and with time I've come to appreciate more some of the songs in both (Want You in my Room [especially the Spotify Sessions version], Now that I Found You, Comeback, Let's Sort the Whole Thing Out). I know it's unfair, but after EMOTION and, especially, Side B... I feel she won't be able to make something as good as that. Mind you, I'm not saying anything bad about her as an artist, though. It's just that EMOTION + Side B is such a masterpiece that anyone would have a mountain of a task trying to surpass it.

Western Wind isn't doing much for me. And I dunno if it's just me, but I'm having a real hard time figuring out what she's saying. The vocals are very muted and too processed. They get drowned in the music, I feel.

Crossing my fingers this is more like EMOTION than Dedicated.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
A book I am looking forward to in August, a book I am looking forward to in September and now a new Carly album I am looking forward to in October. What a time to be alive. All I need now is a video game I am looking forward to in November and I might call 2022 - just about okay. But I digress, hype for new Carly album.

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
New single "Beach House" is uhhhhhhhh a mess. Who are these guys on there?? WHY. What are these lyrics?! 🤢🤢🤢

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
I was "meh" on Western Wind until I saw her sing it live. Then I suddenly felt a lot more appreciation for the vibe that it brings.

Also count me in as a weirdo who likes both Emotion and Dedicated, so hopefully I keep feeling it with the Queen.

Kcoe27400

Mar 14, 2018
didnt really care for Western Wind but Beach house is solid dont love it buts its decent. Not the most inspiring start for this album. But whatever she made Emotion she has already given us enough

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I would usually be excited but Western Wind was a swing and a miss. If the rest of the album sounds like that I'm out.

Edit: shit Beach House was good.

Last edited:

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
The singles have historically not been my favorite songs so I wouldn't worry too much.

Edit: Okay, Beach House isn't good at all. It almost felt like a Weird Al song. Guess I'm more of a fan of serious, moody Carly.

Last edited:

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
New song is surprisingly funny/whimsical and having heard a friend of mine complain about dates for the last few years, rings very true too.

lunch

Oct 26, 2017
The singles have historically not been my favorite songs so I wouldn't worry too much.

Edit: Okay, Beach House isn't good at all. It almost felt like a Weird Al song. Guess I'm more of a fan of serious, moody Carly.
I mostly like Beach House, but I definitely feel the Weird Al vibe in the middle when the various dudes start talking.