• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MelliiDragon

Oct 27, 2017
Is it always that side-step dodging animation? Can't help but feel it's going to get really repetitive if that's the move that always seems to take place.

The Problem why it is like that at the beginning is because the cpu ist pretty bad (especialy at the start) so you can often do the same thing to just dribble to the whole defense. Something to remember about the gameplay of the game is even the worst players can take the ball away from the best players if they are played correctly. And like others have said everyone as 2 dribble animations and you have to do the right one. Which makes it very unlikely that you will just dribble to the whole defense like that later on. And if you manage to do it it definitely doesn't feel or look as boring like that.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
finished the story mode alrady. it should take around 10-15 hours I think. But it is designed to be played multiple times.

There are different things you level up. One is your custom character, where you get a new one each play through. And the ratings and stats the character has get permanently set after you finish the story. Which means the story mode is basicly the ingame character editor that will set what the stats and skills the character has learned. You can use the character in other modes and even online after that.

The other thing you level is friend cards. You can set 5 of them for each match, and those will level up after the match. with each level up you will get a special cutscene with that character and you can learn new skills for them. I think you can learn pretty much every skill that exist and other characters have in the game. I liked that it showed how those characters are teaching you those skills, so it made at least a little bit sense in the story.

Anyway that is one reason why you need multiple playthroughs, the other is, there are 3 story paths you can do. And to unlock to 2 specific teams you need to train their friend cards and change the story so your team gets to play them.

And most of the story stuff in the matches itself (other than things where the story wouldn't make sense anymore) are handeled in a way where they will be shown if you encounter them when they make sense, but the game won't force you to encounter them. And for some of them you need specific friend cards if I saw correctly so it will be very hard to see everything in one playthrough.

The story mode of tsubasa ends way sooner, the match we see at the beginning is the end of the New Hero mode. That is the reason why one player is not named for the Japanese Team there because that will be the player you make. The Modes are basicly "The Story before the player you make appears" and "the story after the player you make appears". And Story wise the stuff with the new Player will be way more detailed I think, so the Part with the National Teams will be even more friendly to newcommers.
So Tsubasa story is national matches, then New hero story is the international matches ? And I take it you can recruit the strong players you meet in the Tsubasa matches for the national team ?

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
Why are there like no reviews for this. I felt like this game was hyped up then all of a sudden fell completely off the radar. I didn't even know it came out

MelliiDragon

Oct 27, 2017
So Tsubasa story is national matches, then New hero story is the international matches ? And I take it you can recruit the strong players you meet in the Tsubasa matches for the national team ?

Basicly yes, but you can't realy recruit them, because the normal international tournament (from the anime) was canceled and switched to the US one the practice matches where canceled as well so you get a new school tournament with your new players in one of the 3 teams you can choose. And that is where the New Hero Story starts. And you just follow the story along there.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
The Problem why it is like that at the beginning is because the cpu ist pretty bad (especialy at the start) so you can often do the same thing to just dribble to the whole defense. Something to remember about the gameplay of the game is even the worst players can take the ball away from the best players if they are played correctly. And like others have said everyone as 2 dribble animations and you have to do the right one. Which makes it very unlikely that you will just dribble to the whole defense like that later on. And if you manage to do it it definitely doesn't feel or look as boring like that.

Yeah basically on Tsubasa's story is very rare that someone tackles you (at least so far), judging by your post I take it changes going forward which is exciting. :)

Violet Wren

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah basically on Tsubasa's story is very rare that someone tackles you (at least so far), judging by your post I take it changes going forward which is exciting. :)

This is absolutely not my experience. I can't keep the ball at all. Every match in Tsubasa's story is taking me 5-6 retries to squeak out a win, often in penalties. The cpu defense feel like a brick wall and every time they touch the ball they score.

Last edited:

MelliiDragon

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah it changes a little bit but in the story mode itself I think it never goes further than the second difficulty. So I never realy had any Problems at any Point of the Story. I wish you could set the difficulty for the story Mode yourself. Playing it in the highest difficulty would be way more exciting.

But at least the Problem that you can just run through everyone will be solved later

MelliiDragon

Oct 27, 2017
This is absolutely not my experience. I can't keep the ball at all. Every match in Tsubasa's story is taking me 5-6, retries to squeak out a win, often in penalties. The cpu defense feel like a brick wall and every time they touch the ball they score.

Do you try to get past them with R1 or R2? Because in the story mode at the beginning you can get past them with R2 most of the time.

Violet Wren

Oct 25, 2017
Do you try to get past them with R1 or R2? Because in the story mode at the beginning you can get past them with R2 most of the time.
Yeah I watched the tutorials on YouTube going into release and understand the rock paper scissors mechanics for slide tackles and standing tackles vs the two dodge types. The problem is execution. I can dodge one or two of them but I can't get enough room to breathe to set up crosses into the box or even long distance shots. I'll pass it downfield instead and immediately get slide tackled. On defense, Im trying as hard as possible to take the ball back before the star player gets it, as that is sure to lead to a cutscene involving my team being scored on. I love the game a lot, just finding myself extremely frustrated with feeling unable to do anything.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
I am just realizing how I want sports anime games to catch on. From Haikyu, Kuroko no Baske to Hajime no Ippo.

Not really into Captain Tsubasa and football but this looks good.

immortal-joe

Oct 25, 2017
In the classic Tecmo series on the NES / SNES, later games had your players level up when you lose. This meant that the better you were in setting up your offense and defense in the earlier games, the more underleveled you were in the later games.

I really hope they tuned the difficulty to avoid that feeling of having your characters nerfed to create a sense of challenge.

MelliiDragon

Oct 27, 2017
In the classic Tecmo series on the NES / SNES, later games had your players level up when you lose. This meant that the better you were in setting up your offense and defense in the earlier games, the more underleveled you were in the later games.

I really hope they tuned the difficulty to avoid that feeling of having your characters nerfed to create a sense of challenge.

I never lost so can't say what happens if you do but i always got a "no retry" bonus stat boost. So i think never losing will just give you better stats

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I am just realizing how I want sports anime games to catch on. From Haikyu, Kuroko no Baske to Hajime no Ippo.

Not really into Captain Tsubasa and football but this looks good.
Same! Particularly a Hajime no Ippo game.

I'm not all that into soccer and have not seen Captain Tsubasa before but I am interested because of how fun and arcade-y this looks. I might consider this on a sale but I love all the clips I'm seeing, it has a really great style.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
GamingBolt review.

"Captain Tsubasa: Rise of New Champions is not a perfect game, and it's not the most mechanically dense game, but thankfully, it doesn't have to be. Its strengths lie in its unhinged, over-the-top on-pitch action and its delightfully silly presentation."

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused on R1/R2 for both offense and defense. It feels like it's random who wins between the dodger and the tackler.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Started it yesterday, it's a lot of fun. Definitely what I was looking for.

So, the story mode for Tsubasa ends with the match we see in the intro, and the episode New Hero picks up there ? It's not very clear.

I never watched the anime and only played the NES game, but this feel like it has the proper exposition for newcomers, I don't feel lost with the characters (though I mix them up a bit because there's a lot of them introduced in a very short time span. The flashback videos help.

Playing on Switch, I was pleasantly surprised by the decent image quality. The framerate isn't great but still alright during the matches. Cut scenes have lower framerate though, and for some reason the menus are the worst, like sub 20fps. I was very scared when I booted the game and saw the title screen being almost a slideshow, especially considering I was on the fence with the PC version. But having played a bit, I'm ok with my choice, I like being able to play a little in bed before I sleep.
I dunno. I feel pretty lost as a newcomer to the series. They throw like ten names at you at once. And when customizing your Dream Team they don't have character portraits, so I'm flipping through dozens upon dozens of names without knowing a vast majority of them.

Feels like a lot was skipped with even the first real story match in the flashback being the regional finals. I wish they were more accommodating to new people but at least the gameplay is fun as hell.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Just finished Tsubasa's episode, managed to get a draw at the final to get the correct ending (I almost lose lol).

Final screen of the episode:

One of the coolest scenes:

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I really want to pick this up as it just looks... awesome and fun haha. Having a hard time deciding between PS4 and Switch though. Also, I'm not familiar with the series at all... would I play story mode and then career mode or doesn't it matter?

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I really want to pick this up as it just looks... awesome and fun haha. Having a hard time deciding between PS4 and Switch though. Also, I'm not familiar with the series at all... would I play story mode and then career mode or doesn't it matter?
Career mode is alt history so it's not as bad but you'd get more nuance knowing the story. I mean all you'd need is the original manga not the sequels but you should be fine

sinny

Oct 28, 2017
Im on the third chapter, this game is great for Tsubasa Fans!
People looking for a arcade soccer/football game are going to be disappointed, but the game overall is a lot better than what i expected.
Great great great anime game not so much as a soccer game.

Deleted member 66837

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 24, 2020
Switch version is really fun, performance is better on PS4 but playing in bed has been worth it

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
PC version still a mess? Wanted to grab it for 60fps but may settle on PS4Pro if not.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Career mode is alt history so it's not as bad but you'd get more nuance knowing the story. I mean all you'd need is the original manga not the sequels but you should be fine

Gotcha. I kind of just meant when playing the game... which mode should I do first?

Switch version is really fun, performance is better on PS4 but playing in bed has been worth it

Yeah, that's always the thing with Switch haha! I ended up getting the Switch version.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The rock paper scissor mechanic when it comes to dribbling and tackling feels like it needs to be tightened up more. Or explained better. Reddit is saying R1 beats defenders R2. And R2 beats defenders R1. But I'm definitely getting shoulder checked (defender R1) out of my R2 dodge.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
The rock paper scissor mechanic when it comes to dribbling and tackling feels like it needs to be tightened up more. Or explained better. Reddit is saying R1 beats defenders R2. And R2 beats defenders R1. But I'm definitely getting shoulder checked (defender R1) out of my R2 dodge.

I think it is as they say, basically if the two players press the same button, the defender wins. If the attacker doesn't press anything, the defender will win if they press either. That's what I understood from the tutorial anyway (you can check it again from the main menu).

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Omg the penalty shots are bullshit. Lost against the twins because of it. I predict THREE shot trajectories and my goalie goes flying in to the net anyway. Their goalie catches one of mine and I lose the match.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It seems like this game is blowing up in social media thanks to the craziness that is the anime

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I have never played a soccer video game before, and indicated by my use of the word "soccer," I'm an American who doesn't know shit about the sport.

What should I know?

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
The game is actually fun.. they just need to fix the crashes.. 2x speed and resolution problems asap.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think it is as they say, basically if the two players press the same button, the defender wins. If the attacker doesn't press anything, the defender will win if they press either. That's what I understood from the tutorial anyway (you can check it again from the main menu).

The more I play the game, yeah. It's basically gimped Rock Paper Scissors (two moves rather than three tho). And yeah, watching the animation has tricky timing but now it feels like it's registering more consistently when I see them go for a slide and I press R1. Or I think they're gonna shoulder charge and I press R2.

I honestly feel like there's input delay because there are times when I am pressing square to charge and nothing happens, then I release the face button and repress it and NOW it registers.

Seems glitchy in general with timing and button inputs.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Damn. This is starting to get frustrating against the twins. I score a goal and they automatically turn on turbo mode and tie the game that ends in a penalty shootout. Literally charging all my shots and they manage to block. But all the ones I block of them go right though my hands.

Fuck this right now.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
Damn. This is starting to get frustrating against the twins. I score a goal and they automatically turn on turbo mode and tie the game that ends in a penalty shootout. Literally charging all my shots and they manage to block. But all the ones I block of them go right though my hands.

Fuck this right now.

Heh, yeah, the game in general is definitely trying my patience.