• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JordianKnot

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to downloading this. Just can't seem to find any consensus on the Ps4 vs Switch versions. Any major differences?

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
the game is very good, its not too easy and theres a sense of balance....my hats off to bandai for not making a money grabbing game

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
I've been checking the Steam discussion for this game and it doesn't look good.

I'm seeing reports of crashes.. resolutions not working.. Full screen busted .. higher framerate makes the game run at 2x or 3x speed etc.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017

I'm seeing reports of crashes.. resolutions not working.. Full screen busted .. higher framerate makes the game run at 2x or 3x speed etc.
Bamco have said that they're aware of all of the above so we can expect a patch soon.

For what it's worth, I haven't had any issues playing borderless windowed, at 1080/60. It wouldn't detect a controller but that's fixed by playing in Big Picture mode. I'm using a Pro Controller without any problems.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
Bamco have said that they're aware of all of the above so we can expect a patch soon.

For what it's worth, I haven't had any issues playing borderless windowed, at 1080/60. It wouldn't detect a controller but that's fixed by playing in Big Picture mode. I'm using a Pro Controller without any problems.

I really hope they can patch all of this.

The game looks great.

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
Bought the Switch version a few hours ago since I was in the mood for some arcade football game (and I loved Captain Tsubasa when I was a child) 😄
The performance is okay, I guess. I hope the find a way to improve it a little. While it runs good, it gets a little juddery from time to time.
While the mechanics aren't that deep - it is still an Arcade game - the gameplay is fun and performing the special shots already made me smile several times. Especially when Tsubasaish situations happen - the goalkeeper cannot stop the ball and flies into the goal - players jump in front of the ball to stop it - the Tachibana twins creating a track on the Field when performing their twin shot - and so on and so forth.
Looking forward to the coming hours as the core gameplay is fun :)

Carlius

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina

ya, patch fixed a few things...but with bordleress gaming, vsync on it all works perfectly fine now.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Game is a alt history 3 years before Brazil where the EU Soccer tourney got cancelled/delayed. So a number of the iconic Brazil team members are too young or still in the jungle. This is also a timeline where Tsubasa hasn't gone to Brazil yet
hmmm, I see. Maybe a sequel/dlc will have more. I wanted Rivaul.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Currently downloading. In the camp that never played or watched soccer that much. But if this gets me into it somehow, I'm for it.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
I mean there's going to be a season pass so they might sneak a few in but they don't work from a base story perspective
Hmm, I see. I'm not really deep into the Cpt. Tsubasa mythos (I watched most of the Road to 2002 anime way back when), most of my enjoyment from the series comes from looking for the real life references in the manga/anime (since I'm a huge soccer buff).

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Man, bought this but the tutorial feels like it teaches me nothing except that it tells me to push certain buttons lol. Anyway, it's quite hard for me. Love it though!

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This shit is dope! I might start watching the anime. Seriously. I'm getting those laid back sports games are fun vibes similar to THPS/SSX/NBA STREET days. Please give me a Haikyuu game next.

hutna

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish this game was more like the NES soccer RPGs that used the license. Would have been refreshing since there aren't really any games like them anymore that I am aware of. Cool that it's more arcade and less sim though; will probably pick it up when it's on sale since I really like the source material.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
I really wish this game was more like the NES soccer RPGs that used the license. Would have been refreshing since there aren't really any games like them anymore that I am aware of. Cool that it's more arcade and less sim though; will probably pick it up when it's on sale since I really like the source material.

The android game is just like the "turn based" games from the nes if you meant that type of gameplay.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
They are working on the issues at least.. I hope they can patch the game soon enough.

"Update regarding several issues
Hello football players,

We're aware of several issues happening on the Steam version of the game. We are investigating them and are working on fixing the following points as our highest priority:

â‘  Network Error [Resolved]

â‘¡ Text Misalignment (on fullscreen or borderless)

â‘¢ Crash happening during Otomo episode

â‘£ Animation becomes double-speed

⑤ Low FPS issue

â‘¥ Early purchase bonus (or Month 1 edition bonus) not being able to download

-UPDATE-
New issues found:

⑦ Xbox Controller does not function

⑧ Resolution higher than 1920x1080 doesn't work

Thank you for your patience and understanding, we're sorry for the inconvenince caused by these issues. We will update you as soon as we have more news."

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Was supposed to play this tonight, but I guess that's not happening lol as I've got some calls. Oh well...

JamesQuall

Oct 27, 2017
As a huge soccer fan who buys PES every other year and someone who is open to good anime recommendations from time to time, the videos I've seen of this just haven't sold me yet.

The on-field gameplay looks like Super Sidekicks or Virtua Striker with some added special moves. Those are probably two of the best arcade soccer games around, but they are also both pretty old and dated by today's standards.

Seeing a little more of the relationship building between teammates and leveling up piqued my interest a bit, but is the off-field stuff robust enough to bring everything together?

If this had a hybrid RPG element like Camelot's Mario Golf/RPG games I would be sold in an instant. Right now, I'm going to keep looking for impressions before I commit to paying full-price.

This also seems like the kind of game that I would prefer on Switch. Hopefully they can get the performance stuff sorted before too long.

Last edited:

ΑGITΩ

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Got it for switch. The load times are terrible.
But otherwise game is fun. And story mode is really kicking my ass. However, when you win, it feels earned, and satisfying.
Im still having issues knowing who im controlling, given the fast paced nature of it all and having to look at the mini map each time, and swaping characters never takes me to who i want.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
How is the custom character system? Can you just make one character for the story mode and that's it?

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
I took a shot from midfield, the keeper saved it, but it was called back for "offside" because my striker was in an offside position despite not being anywhere near the shot/interfering with play/close to the keeper.
After re-reading the Japan - France game the other day I'd say this is working as intended lol

Mesharey

Dec 7, 2017
Kuwait
The new hero story is good and once you finish the first part it becomes surprisingly good, they even made new animation cutscenes like the anime, here at 1:37:25

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I never considered unrealistic to see this 15 years old kids to shoot the ball at the speed of light with the strength of a WMD

But the male USA team being a threat in football? That's asking me to suspend my desbelief way too much

Quebaz

Nov 15, 2017
Is it always that side-step dodging animation? Can't help but feel it's going to get really repetitive if that's the move that always seems to take place.
Each character can have up to 2 animations, one for dodging tackles (Tsubasa for example does an heel lift) and another for dodging players running at you.

These also impact gameplay as you can't heel lift an opponent who isn't tackling you for example.

Genryu

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I've disliked so far is the game auto-switching who I'm controlling when I'm on defense. Nothing quite like it suddenly making me control someone that's on the opposite side of whoever is dribbling and then running the opposite direction.

Other than that I love kicking a ball so hard that it turns into a fireball.

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do we have an idea of how long / good the story and career modes are?

I don't follow soccer or the anime, but I like a good arcade sports game and general wackiness every once in a while. Wouldn't bother with MP I don't think.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Started it yesterday, it's a lot of fun. Definitely what I was looking for.

So, the story mode for Tsubasa ends with the match we see in the intro, and the episode New Hero picks up there ? It's not very clear.

I never watched the anime and only played the NES game, but this feel like it has the proper exposition for newcomers, I don't feel lost with the characters (though I mix them up a bit because there's a lot of them introduced in a very short time span. The flashback videos help.

Playing on Switch, I was pleasantly surprised by the decent image quality. The framerate isn't great but still alright during the matches. Cut scenes have lower framerate though, and for some reason the menus are the worst, like sub 20fps. I was very scared when I booted the game and saw the title screen being almost a slideshow, especially considering I was on the fence with the PC version. But having played a bit, I'm ok with my choice, I like being able to play a little in bed before I sleep.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
My brother bought this since I hate soccer games, though I have a sweet spot for arcade sports. We played a little and once you forget everything from FIFA and just accept it's a fighting game it gets pretty fun. Seeing all these characters I loved as a kid is great and the fanservice cutscenes are perfect. The framerate is weird, seems lower than 30 fps to me but stable... like 25 lol.

MelliiDragon

Oct 27, 2017
Do we have an idea of how long / good the story and career modes are?

I don't follow soccer or the anime, but I like a good arcade sports game and general wackiness every once in a while. Wouldn't bother with MP I don't think.

finished the story mode alrady. it should take around 10-15 hours I think. But it is designed to be played multiple times.

There are different things you level up. One is your custom character, where you get a new one each play through. And the ratings and stats the character has get permanently set after you finish the story. Which means the story mode is basicly the ingame character editor that will set what the stats and skills the character has learned. You can use the character in other modes and even online after that.

The other thing you level is friend cards. You can set 5 of them for each match, and those will level up after the match. with each level up you will get a special cutscene with that character and you can learn new skills for them. I think you can learn pretty much every skill that exist and other characters have in the game. I liked that it showed how those characters are teaching you those skills, so it made at least a little bit sense in the story.

Anyway that is one reason why you need multiple playthroughs, the other is, there are 3 story paths you can do. And to unlock to 2 specific teams you need to train their friend cards and change the story so your team gets to play them.

And most of the story stuff in the matches itself (other than things where the story wouldn't make sense anymore) are handeled in a way where they will be shown if you encounter them when they make sense, but the game won't force you to encounter them. And for some of them you need specific friend cards if I saw correctly so it will be very hard to see everything in one playthrough.

Started it yesterday, it's a lot of fun. Definitely what I was looking for.

So, the story mode for Tsubasa ends with the match we see in the intro, and the episode New Hero picks up there ? It's not very clear.

I never watched the anime and only played the NES game, but this feel like it has the proper exposition for newcomers, I don't feel lost with the characters (though I mix them up a bit because there's a lot of them introduced in a very short time span. The flashback videos help.

Playing on Switch, I was pleasantly surprised by the decent image quality. The framerate isn't great but still alright during the matches. Cut scenes have lower framerate though, and for some reason the menus are the worst, like sub 20fps. I was very scared when I booted the game and saw the title screen being almost a slideshow, especially considering I was on the fence with the PC version. But having played a bit, I'm ok with my choice, I like being able to play a little in bed before I sleep.

The story mode of tsubasa ends way sooner, the match we see at the beginning is the end of the New Hero mode. That is the reason why one player is not named for the Japanese Team there because that will be the player you make. The Modes are basicly "The Story before the player you make appears" and "the story after the player you make appears". And Story wise the stuff with the new Player will be way more detailed I think, so the Part with the National Teams will be even more friendly to newcommers.