• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...easure-tracker-is-getting-free-co-op-paid-dlc
Nintendo has announced a duo of DLC for its superb Switch (and formerly Wii U) puzzler Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, one of which is paid, and the other free.

Up first is the free stuff, which adds two-player co-op to all existing levels in the game, and will be available to download today.

The beefier offering, known simply as Special Episode, arrives on March 14th, bringing 18 new challenges, including five new courses themed around the likes of sunken ships and sweet kingdoms. Additionally, it introduces brand-new Shiny Crowns objectives across existing levels, and all of this will support the newly introduced two-player co-op mode.

who's excited? i'm really happy this game got some post launch support, and the dlc is pretty cheap which is nice.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
Bought the game a few days ago since it is on sale in Europe. Really like the game but 5 extra courses is pretty slim. I think the full game has close to 80 courses? At least it's on the cheap side with 6€ so I guess I will pick it up with gold coins.

Magyscar

Oct 25, 2017
I bought the DLC immediately. Loved the game on Wii U and only just getting around to playing the Switch version. Just as good the second time!

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
anyone got the pass and played the first level? how was it?

Bought the game a few days ago since it is on sale in Europe. Really like the game but 5 extra courses is pretty slim. I think the full game has close to 80 courses? At least it's on the cheap side with 6€ so I guess I will pick it up with gold coins.
it also apparently adds challenges to some of the previous levels. i think the price isn't too bad for 5 new courses, but obviously more would have been better. they should have also included the 4 wiiu exclusive with the expansion to make the deal sweeter

So I can play the whole game in co-op with my wife now?
yes! that's part of the free update tho, no need to buy the expansion for that.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I would be excited if they would just patch it, so you only see the cursor when it's needed. I can't stand having it bouncing at all times on the tv. Ruins it completely for me, so the new content gets a pass :(

Kane

Oct 28, 2017
5 new courses is a joke tho. I don't know why I had 17 in my head, now I'm disappointed...

Lokefm94

Oct 27, 2017
I want this, but only after a good sale on the base game. Having already beaten this game on Wii U didn't make me feel ready to double dip.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Double dipped on this game a few days ago with the sale going right now so this is very nice. Wanted to play the Odyssey levels and even more Captain Toad is always welcome. Makes me more confident we will see a sequel someday.

5 new courses seems slim but let's see how big these actually are and how much the additional 18 challenges change things up.

I just don't get why they didn't add the 3D World levels missing in the Switch version.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
I'd really love to play the new stuff but I only have the WiiU version and I honestly can't get myself to buy the Switch version, too. I'm fine with Nintendo releasing all the WiiU ports but please don't add anything significant later...

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just don't get why they they didn't add the 3D World levels missing in the Switch version.
yeah, that seems like such a no brainer. i know they wanted to remove them and add the mario odyssey levels so the game can act as a prequel to odyssey instead of 3D world, but they should have added those levels as bonus later, or as part of this paid dlc.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I still think there's a chance we get the 3D World levels back if they ever port 3D World to Switch, but it's silly to have removed them at all.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still think there's a chance we get the 3D World levels back if they ever port 3D World to Switch, but it's silly to have removed them at all.
hopefully they're free at that point, if that's their plan. or at least free for those who buy this dlc
yeah it's so silly. it's not like people would have cared about the continuity of the story in a mario spin off :/

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
hopefully they're free at that point, if that's their plan. or at least free for those who buy this dlc
yeah it's so silly. it's not like people would have cared about the continuity of the story in a mario spin off :/
I'd settle for free with a 3D World save file, which I think is how they originally worked.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I beat the original on Wii U and loved it. I asked for the game for Switch for my birthday in 2 days since my mom randomly asked me what I wanted. I'm down for some DLC.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
This game is what I love about Tokyo team, they are superb with designing a 3D space. this game is simple but it shows exceptional skills in design and exploring a 3D space from all angles and directions. can't recommend this game enough.

wiiucollector

Aug 5, 2018
Germany
The new levels looked pretty eye-catching, so I've went and bought it. Really glad they have patched in a beefier 2 player as that assist role was really only for anyone playing the game with young children. 5 stages isn't really great value, but it's not making my wallet weep either. Perhaps they had time constraints to pad out the "divisive" 2018 line-up :/

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
anyone got the pass and played the first level? how was it?

it also apparently adds challenges to some of the previous levels. i think the price isn't too bad for 5 new courses, but obviously more would have been better. they should have also included the 4 wiiu exclusive with the expansion to make the deal sweeter

yes! that's part of the free update tho, no need to buy the expansion for that.

I bought the pass (like $6) to support the game and try the new level. Nothing mind-blowing, but I just love the base game so much that I was thrilled to see more. Did all the gems and the bonus challenge and was quite satisfied :)

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I would be excited if they would just patch it, so you only see the cursor when it's needed. I can't stand having it bouncing at all times on the tv. Ruins it completely for me, so the new content gets a pass :(
I barely played my Switch version of Captain Toad because of the horrible motion cursor in docked mode. It's really annoying, and the game is only good in handheld mode.

Is co-op going to have two cursors on screen? Gross.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bought the pass (like $6) to support the game and try the new level. Nothing mind-blowing, but I just love the base game so much that I was thrilled to see more. Did all the gems and the bonus challenge and was quite satisfied :)
i've done everything in the base game except the very last thing which gives the captain a crown if i'm not mistaken

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Can anyone provide a screenshot of this supposedly annoying motion cursor people mention? Was it in the WiiU version (which I played) ?

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
i've done everything in the base game except the very last thing which gives the captain a crown if i'm not mistaken

I had done everything but the final challenge on the WiiU version but on the Switch I asked my fiance to help out by shooting turnips at everything and we ended up beating it. It was a great moment in our relationship hahaha

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Anyone played Co-Op? Impressions?

I barely played my Switch version of Captain Toad because of the horrible motion cursor in docked mode. It's really annoying, and the game is only good in handheld mode.

Is co-op going to have two cursors on screen? Gross.

Yeah. But people do say the cursor fades when not in use now, but i'm not sure.

Beamerball

Jan 16, 2018
Love Captain Toad and was thoroughly surprised to see it get DLC. Bought it last night right off the bat.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Sure why not. The support this game is getting really is giving me vibes Captain Toad 2 will happen towards the end of the switch's life cycle. No reason not to.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
Tried this briefly yesterday. I was actually quite excited to hear this, nice and unexpected post-launch support.

Works well. I think this is more of an experience for playing with people who have limited gamin background, young son/daughter or SO.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Damn sold it a while ago because I never played mainly because coop with my kid wasn't in...kinda want to rebuy it now.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I loved the Captain Toad levels in 3D World but Treasure Tracker on Wii U never really scratched the same itch. I've never been able to pin down why because on the surface they're the same things.

I may still pick this up on Switch because the price isn't bad and the co-op.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
This game is way, way too simple for content updates to really matter. Volume was never the issue, they already maxed out everything the game has to offer.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
What other Nintendo same generation sequels are there?
Pokemon and Zelda do it all the time, Metroid Prime and Pikmin on the Gamecube, Fire Emblem occasionally is a 2 or 3 entry per platform series, and a lot of their eShop initiatives are multi title. Captain Toad feels like a one off, but theh are clearly happy with sales to support it with DLC and/or are doing so because they have more ideas for the gameplay specific in the title.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is dumb question, but I'm guessing the co-op is local only right? I'm sure Nintendo didn't give us online co-op, but I don't have the game to test it out.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Never grabbed this on WiiU and always been interested but this def tipped me over. Will grab it on the next sale.