• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Which is weird, because without exaggerating, all marvel movies are dog shit compared to well written FILM. Just the medium of film. So what are they being compared to if not popcorn action movies? Citizen Kane?

They're kickass action movies...... as long as that box is ticked... job done.

Personal tastes and all that but to me Infinity War was a far, far better film than any of the best oscar nominees of 2018. I've probably watched it 8 times and it never gets old to me, its a near flawless story and the pacing is perfection. I guess it does require you to have some knowledge of the characters so without that its probably a mess.

In 10 years I'll definitely still rewatch Infinity War and Black Panther, I don't think I would rewatch any of the 2017 or 2018 oscar nominees ever again.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad. We saw it recently and really enjoyed it. Quite funny too.

Deleted member 54320

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 28, 2019
London
I've been somewhat out of the loop, how comes people are ragging on this film? I watched it on release day and enjoyed it.

I've seen a fair amount of people online posting that people should instead support Alita: Battle Angel and boycott CM. What the hell happened?

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny that these angry nerds thought they could actually mitigate the fact that Marvel is a worldwide phenomenon. It's like that racist store owner who thought he could survive without selling Nike merch.

I've been somewhat out of the loop, how comes people are ragging on this film? I watched it on release day and enjoyed it.

I've seen a fair amount of people online posting that people should instead support Alita: Battle Angel and boycott CM. What the hell happened?
Brie Larson said that film critics should be more inclusive.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hey its a good formula, and top notch vfx. Im not hating, just calling it what it is as far as how high can expectations/hype really go enough to tarnish its reception.

It would have to shoot itself in the foot to be a bad marvel movie.

The beaten horse I was referring to is this tired discussion about the quality of MCU films. I agree with you that in general, most popcorn flicks barely register as more than mediocre compared to the best the medium has to offer. I just find it weird how we're 21 movies in and people are still making the same tired ass arguments we've heard since they exploded with Avengers.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland

Sexist, racist dudebros and their allies don't like Brie Larson's comments in favour of diversity in the industry, spread made-up bad press about her, bomb Rotten Tomatoes with negative feedback before release, and try to say "see we're the real feminists" by supporting another film with a strong female lead.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well deserved.
While not on par with the MCU all-time greats, it's a really good and enjoyable movie with an excellent cast.

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think it's because it's a female hero and the star said some *gasp* "SJW" stuff in interviews? Haven't paid that side much attention but it just seems like your typical gamergate types being shitlords.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.

Something something feminism ruining everything.

There was at one point where Brie Larson expressed wanting more diversity in her press days, and guess that became her saying that Captain Marvel isn't for white men by the logic of manbabies.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017

Same here, its all over my youtube feed which was based on watching ANthem dissolve in the atmosphere, but everyone is on the same page with this sucks, alita is the better woman movie... as if thats how things work.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
So happy to hear this! Saw the movie a second time today, liked it even better than the first time. There were a lot of details I picked up that I missed the first time around. I love Brie in this, and Sam Jackson killed it! Goose was great, the twist was unexpected and awesome, and I really enjoyed the final 15 minutes. It's easily in my top 5 MCU.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
well i for one am shocked that an isolated group of nerds fueled by impotent rage couldn't move the needle on the returns for the latest flick in a franchise that makes a bare minimum of half a billion dollars with every installment

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
The beaten horse I was referring to is this tired discussion about the quality of MCU films. I agree with you that in general, most popcorn flicks barely register as more than mediocre compared to the best the medium has to offer. I just find it weird how we're 21 movies in and people are still making the same tired ass arguments we've heard since they exploded with Avengers.

I figure you could decide based on how much u like marvel movies, and the trailers... a few reviews online if u want..

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who loved the 90s, I loved this film.

Good on them for their great opening weekend.

Miles X

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's the first success for Disney's Roadmap for Box Office Domination. Posting it here for those that haven't seen it in the WKD Box Office thread.

kfLYyAd.jpg

And I chipped in my support for Captain Marvel yesterday. Film was good, Brie and Jackson were great. Goose is good, action is grand. There's one problem I have with it regarding the villain but to say more is spoilers. Go out and give it a watch.

Artemis Fowl cancelled or something?

DarthSontin

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I'm sure everyone who worked on the movie is having their entire online history combed through by the alt-right looking for faux outrage and excuses to get them fired from their next project.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Personal tastes and all that but to me Infinity War was a far, far better film than any of the best oscar nominees of 2018. I've probably watched it 8 times and it never gets old to me, its a near flawless story and the pacing is perfection. I guess it does require you to have some knowledge of the characters so without that its probably a mess.

In 10 years I'll definitely still rewatch Infinity War and Black Panther, I don't think I would rewatch any of the 2017 or 2018 oscar nominees ever again.

I didn't catch any of the avengers, saw most of the one with the uh... airport scene? With Ant man.. but loved IW. Didn't feel too lost. It was one hell of a ride.

OScars are garbage imho.

Diego Renault

Nov 1, 2017
Is the movie actually good? Or is everyone just caught up in the hype?

It's not bad, yet it not great. It's just a 6/10 movie. Brie Larson's acting is partly cute (her mannerisms), yet sometimes it feels very strange and amateurish. The dialogs are written by a 6 year old. The story itself is actually not bad. The way it is told, neither. The support characters are kinda good.

All in all, it's on a similar level as Ant Man. Like others have said, the purpose of this movie is just to explain who the hell Captain Marvel is before Avengers Endgame comes out.

People who can't stand medicore movies will be pissed, though, because that's precisely what this movie is.

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
A Marvel B movie would be an A++ anywhere. Same how an HBO lesser show would be prestige on another channel.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
It was a good movie and I'm positive it has good replayability. It's growing on me the more I think about it.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure that Alita is a good movie too, but it's certainly suspicious that suddenly EVERYONE is falling back on the exact same talking points.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Just a reminder that youtube comment sections aren't always indicative of reality. I thought there might be an asshole of two at my showing and more men were wearing Captain Marvel shirts.