• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
She has absolutely no charisma especially for a character who's supposed to be a leader . Bad casting IMO.

About 90% of her dialogue in that the trailer is her implanted kree warrior personality which I imagine she'll gradually lose over the course of the film. I do worry that Brie has oversold that part of it. The comic book character is so inconsistently written I'm not sure you could really say she's supposed to be a leader.

Vinci

Oct 29, 2017
I don't really care for her delivery. Feels pretty flat. Otherwise I think I'd be more excited.

Immortan

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
After watching it again and watching the reaction videos of people watching it. Still bored of it and didn't catch me, like I said before the music is 50% it and that elfman style circus music just ruins my mood and hype factor. I like brie, but it feels like she is just saying lines, she doesn't emote in the trailer. They really did her no favors this trailer after a few rewatches. Maybe the next trailer will fix some of the issues.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm starting to think and hope that the narrative of the story is non-linear throughout the whole movie.

The emphasis on both trailers of showing her falling and getting up in different times of her life make me think that we'll at least see some sort of parallels like that, but I'm thinking that maybe, besides Carol sort of having her memories screwed with and trying to piece together her past, there may be an element of her being outside of time or something like that and experiencing all moments of her life at the same time, sort of like Dolores from Westworld Season 1. It would explain her not aging/the time jump from CM to A4 (which is some sort of time shenanigans).
Know what, that actually sounds cool, like she's Desmond's character from Lost where her mind is unstuck from time and can thus experience events from another perspective. Maybe Strange meets her "outside of time" and learns something that helps them beat Thanos.

If her quantum leaping through and outside time is the key to beating Thanos, rather than just pure power, that would be awesome.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imo, The not aging thing is explained in this trailer when it's said that she will live longer.
... but what if her not aging enables the story to do time jump shenanigans, ala Westworld, where you get plot twists dependent on the fact that the protagonist looks the same no matter what year it is...

Am I overthinking this? Maybe Jeremy Jahns is right and Marvel really wants to jump into this cosmic storytelling by going even more scifi than Dr Strange did, and is hiding some crazy time jumping storytelling behind a passable trailer? Cause the last sci-fi story that did that was Horizon and that ended up amazing.

Nah, I'm over thinking it...

Deleted member 31104

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Still amazed they went all moody film score for the music in the trailer which by the way accounts for most of the issues with this trailer (it's all a bit stilted) it's a Marvel movie set in the 90's for christ sake. The music choices are pretty much unlimited.

DSN2K

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I was worried before that they may have hired the wrong actress and this hasn't helped. She lacks the charisma I expected perhaps hoped!?

Deleted member 21601

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
After credits scene 2:
She is on the road with Fury. Is bored. Turns on the radio. Backstreet Boys is on. She Instantly loves them. Nick is stil pissed that he lost his eye. Looks angry at her. Deadpool hides at the back seat.

Oct 27, 2017
Looks great. I can't wait to take my daughter to go and see it. And if she doesn't want to, I'll go by myself! Are there lots of Kree warriors as powerful as her, or is she unique because she's a cross between Kree and human?

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
I have zero hype with this. Maybe because I don't know the character or because I want to see avenger 4 already and it's on the middle like Ant-Man.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I do agree that these first few trailers haven't really got me too excited. The film doesn't look horrible or anything but it doesn't get me excited like some of the other recent Marvel film trailers.
I'm sure the movie will be a solid Marvel intro film at worst though. I'll probably be there opening night.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Know what, that actually sounds cool, like she's Desmond's character from Lost where her mind is unstuck from time and can thus experience events from another perspective. Maybe Strange meets her "outside of time" and learns something that helps them beat Thanos.

If her quantum leaping through and outside time is the key to beating Thanos, rather than just pure power, that would be awesome.
This made me think of the Kree Supreme Intelligence from the comics and maybe that would be a potential way for them to take disembodied consciousness into a direction that would allow Carol to exist "outside of time" as well as give her a chance to tap into knowledge that makes her an asset to the Avengers not just in her power levels but by being plugged into the totality of Kree knowledge.

Seems like a long shot, but I think something fishy is up with her memories and she does seem to be hooked up to a machine in the trailer that seems to be wiping her mind or altering her memories. I think there is something more to that which will play a big role in the film.

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere
giphy.gif
I can't be the only one that thought that looked bad.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This made me think of the Kree Supreme Intelligence from the comics and maybe that would be a potential way for them to take disembodied consciousness into a direction that would allow Carol to exist "outside of time" as well as give her a chance to tap into knowledge that makes her an asset to the Avengers not just in her power levels but by being plugged into the totality of Kree knowledge.

Seems like a long shot, but I think something fishy is up with her memories and she does seem to be hooked up to a machine in the trailer that seems to be wiping her mind or altering her memories. I think there is something more to that which will play a big role in the film.

Right, so this:

captain-marvel-trailer-image-16.jpg

Is basically doing the same thing as what Kitty Pride does to Wolverine in Days of Future Past:

images

...now I'm a little excited guys.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Better than the actual trailer and instantly communicates her character. When Fiege said that Captain Marvel would be their Superman I didn't think that would come down to replicating the same tonal mistakes. Carol isn't Superman, and the more they try to put her in that box in the comics and without the worse off she is. Heck, she's not even Green Lantern... well maybe slightly. She's at her best when they let her be space Kratos with a la Nova from Annihilation or the framework of cap mixed with the drive and anger of the punisher. We'll see what the actual movie is like, but so far this seems just to be the... same parts of 'generic boiler plate good guy' Carol Danvers that bore people in the comics.

EDIT: I wonder if she was technically supposed to be taken by the snap but it fails. If the story is going to be somewhat non linear 'her life flashing before her eyes' sort of thing.

Last edited:

Anaron

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The actions scenes, particularly in the end there with the official suit were straight out of comics. Loved it!

Not a big fan of the mohawk but it looks waaaay better that it does in the comics.

I love Larson as an actress and know she's incredibly capable, these trailer line readings are...not a good look.

I understand that it makes sense with Carol starting off as a 'robot' but man is it doing a disservice.

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Damn the last shots are so good and straight up comic.

You see in the MCU all space battles where in ships, even in GotG if you are alone in space, you die.

And Carol is flying out there shooting lasers out of her body destroying ships and evading shots. This is so awesome my daughter is so excited.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Looks kinda generic as hell. More Ant-Man/Dr. Strange/Iron Man than Spider-Man. Hopefully we don't get the standard superhero origin last act battle with a villain that has gotten a hold of the hero's powers and now has the exact same power set. Because that shit is fucking tired and it dragged Black Panther down whenever the seams of the formula became plainly visible.

Also seeing cosmic Marvel just sorta really pisses me off because it reminds me what these shitheads did to Gunn so that might be why I'm sour on it.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Weird editing. But the Fury/Captain duo looks good. Not excited but the action scenes looks fun. Love the helmet, not a fan of how the MCU desecrates masks and secret identity. So I hope she'll wear it for most action scenes.
Also the god damn cat. Been waiting for him.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I like it! I also like how it seems Fury got the idea of the Avengers from her. It's a well written retcon.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
This trailer was like a bingo board of generic superhero lines and a lot of them were delivered poorly...

Deleted member 46489

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I thought the visuals were cool, but I really hope they're hiding a great story somewhere in there, because as of two trailers, they're hiding it pretty well.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
You have a problem with Resetera members criticizing an Oscar-caliber actress for delivering lines in a wooden way while playing Space Robocop?

Also every single blockbuster trailer has people nitpicking out of context lines by female protagonists. Probably not deliberate but it's getting tiresome.

barit

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Looks gooood. I admit the first teaser didn´t blow me away but this one is growing on me