• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Ishaan

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
This. He was training Carol to further himself, his career, and his standing. He didn't care about her, he just wanted a weapon.

I hope someone digs deep into this in an interview with the directors at some point. Be fascinating to hear their take on the whole thing.

Get this thread back on Track. International passed 500 million

Nice! It honestly feels like all the nonsensical trolling around this movie has only helped it gain even more mainstream attention. That's great, hahaha.

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing as the whole glass Canon trope is very well known I didn't take the keep your emotions in check line to be anything other then solid fighting advice at the start.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing as the whole glass Canon trope is very well known I didn't take the keep your emotions in check line to be anything other then solid fighting advice at the start.

I thought that if she got angry, they wouldn't be able to control her.

Spoilers:

Didn't she get mad at one point and we see the device on her neck spark?

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm gonna have to disagree with this. Carol is immensely powerful, yes. But that's the power of the Tesseract. Yon-Rogg is who taught her to be a combatant, and to rely on her own skill in combat. I got the impression that, given the time, he would absolutely have been open to Carol unlocking her full potential. He had no reason to believe she would ever turn on him. He was effectively training her to be the best Kree warrior ever.
He had EVERY reason to believe she would turn on him, which is why they kept reprogramming her memories, telling her her dreams and visions were due to her "emotional weaknesses", routine trips to the Supreme Intelligence to convince her to discard them, etc. THEY are the ones that put a power suppressor on her to ensure she could NEVER cut loose and cause them harm. They were actively, constantly limiting her while trying to tell her that it was HER fault she hadn't tapped into her "true potential" (a carrot on a stick that she would never catch).

She was ALREADY a fighter jet pilot. She ALREADY went through boot camp. He trained her to be a Kree soldier, but that was only for THEIR benefit, not HERS. They re-purposed her to commit war crimes for them, to look, act, and fight like THEM... which was LIMITING.

No matter what else he did, that is a valuable skill to have imparted. And again, I feel the movie just glosses all over this. They don't even have a conversation about it. There's no opportunity for Carol to make her case and tell him he acted like an ass. No opportunity for him to attempt to make his case and come off sounding like an extremely flawed (and abusive) individual.
It was self-evident to her. He killed her mentor, kidnapped her, erased her history and identity, stole her life, brainwashed her into a killing machine for a sick war against refugees, and tried to make her believe all of it was for HER good. That's all spelled out in the movie; he doesn't deserve to "make his case" because "his case" was him telling her "fist fight me and prove you've grown into a REAL soldier" when the reality is... she's not a Kree soldier. She never was.

I just feel they should have done a lot more to flesh that dynamic out. So much of the movie is about Carol running around making wisecracks with Fury that the weight and complexity of her and Yon-Rogg's relationship is lost at the end.
Fury is a perfect COUNTER to Yon-Rogg, because for all HIS authority and abilities, he helps her rekindle her humanity, respects her as an individual, and fully understands her powers are so far above him. They are a true partnership, NOT her and Yon-Rogg. Fury goes against his own people to help her because it's the right thing to do, and that empowers Carol to do the same.

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
This. The point I was trying to make is that in real life, evil people can be emotionally complex rather than one dimensional. That doesn't make them any less evil. When creating fiction, this means that emotionally complex villains are better than one dimensional, cartoonish villains. Yon-Rogg is an example of the former because he does appear to care somewhat for the charge he has been tasked with manipulating and brainwashing into a good Kree soldier.

Maybe if you actually read the posts you'd understand. Even evil people are capable of complex and contradictory emotions. This doesn't make them less evil. But it does mean that representations of evil people in fiction are better if they hold complex and contradictory emotions. Not every villain in real life, even Hitler who is the worst of villains, is an unemotional robot.
First of all, annyone coming with that slaveowners can care and be compassionate towards the slaves bullshit the way you did can fuck right off.
Secondly, the fact you responded with this:
Nah.

Hitler loved dogs and presumably his wife. Being capable of affection or compassion doesn't make you a good person or not an evil bastard, it just makes you not a sociopath.
After I took issue with this:
No, this is an unnecessarily black and white take on the matter. Hell, we have evidence of slaveowners feeling affection and compassion for their slaves in real life
Just shows how little you get it and how screwed your thinking is.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Get this thread back on Track. International passed 500 million

tumblr_pm8y5lqQPU1vfmsbyo2_500.gif

Back on track, that is a phenomenal number for just over two weeks.

I keep saying it, over and over, that if you told 10-year-younger me that a Captain Marvel movie would outgross a major Justice League movie globally in under two weeks, I've had laughed you out of the room.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
the best part of this is that there was an effort to shit all over this. And yet, we are here. Go Capt.Marvel.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
I took that as more of his bullshit. I don't think he's saying "I care about her." I think he's saying "That's my blood inside her and that makes her MINE." As in, he's just talking more about his ownership of Carol, and he's offended that someone has run off with his "blood" and someone else is impersonating what is his. It's more gaslighting (just not at Carol) and making people think he cares, but really it's still all about him.

Just my opinion on that moment.
I don't agree with this. I read this scene as that he was genuinely hurt that what he did for her was being taken for granted. Even at the beginning of the scene, after it's pretty clear that "Vers" has uncovered the truth about her past on Earth, when "Carol" is all business he cracks a joke about her caring about his well being instead.

I think that he did genuinely care for her, although that obviously doesn't outweigh the manipulation and gaslighting.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree with this. I read this scene as that he was genuinely hurt that what he did for her was being taken for granted. Even at the beginning of the scene, after it's pretty clear that "Vers" has uncovered the truth about her past on Earth, when "Carol" is all business he cracks a joke about her caring about his well being instead.

I think that he did genuinely care for her, although that obviously doesn't outweigh the manipulation and gaslighting.
We're really off-topic, so I'll just say that I disagree that the abuser cared about his victim.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna have to disagree with this. Carol is immensely powerful, yes. But that's the power of the Tesseract. Yon-Rogg is who taught her to be a combatant, and to rely on her own skill in combat. I got the impression that, given the time, he would absolutely have been open to Carol unlocking her full potential. He had no reason to believe she would ever turn on him. He was effectively training her to be the best Kree warrior ever.

No matter what else he did, that is a valuable skill to have imparted. And again, I feel the movie just glosses all over this. They don't even have a conversation about it. There's no opportunity for Carol to make her case and tell him he acted like an ass. No opportunity for him to attempt to make his case and come off sounding like an extremely flawed (and abusive) individual.

I just feel they should have done a lot more to flesh that dynamic out. So much of the movie is about Carol running around making wisecracks with Fury that the weight and complexity of her and Yon-Rogg's relationship is lost at the end.

Eh no. She didn't need any of that at all with powers like hers, and there was no reason to restrict them. This is like the Rick and Morty episode where Morty tells his alien kid that the air outside will kill him, and then he finds out that was a lie. Carol used her full power at the end with no real training in it, and it was completely fine. She became her best self.

I don't know what your experience is with abusers, but this is exactly what they always do. "You need me to make you better" and "You're too emotional" etc... It's all about control. Any time someone is shaping your behavior via gaslighting, then that's abuse. And it's never done by accident. You don't lie to someone daily for years on accident. That's a horrific level of abuse, and it was all intentional from Yon Rogg. His ego got bruised when she blasted him, and it got bruised again at the end of the movie. Because the woman he'd been abusing and manipulating for years finally got out from under his boot.

edit: and more on topic, I'm really glad Carol's looking like a new face of the Avengers. That'll really piss off the trolls.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver

There's absolutely nothing within the text of the film, whether underlying or surface-level, that suggests Yon Rogg had any level of actual affection towards Carol. Nor should there be, frankly. Because abusive power dynamics like that aren't based on affection. They're based on ownership, and Yon Rogg's own ambitions. There is no case to be made for him.

They don't need to have a conversation about it because for 6 years, he knows exactly what he was doing. He was manipulating her for himself and for the Kree. And Carol isn't the kind of person to waste her time on a piece of shit like him. "I have nothing to prove to you" says everything about how she feels about him, about herself, and about their relationship.

He tries baiting her into a fist fight, trying to downplay her abilities, who she is, what she can do, precisely because he himself brings nothing to the table. Even in that last exchange, he's trying to instill doubt and condescend to her with "Can you control your emotions?"

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the movie does quite well to suggest that Yon-Rogg does legitimately care for Carol/Vers. I don't think he was lying when he said he was proud of her at the end. But he also knows that he's outclassed, and he's still a nationalist and a patriot, so he stands against her.
If he does care, it's the sick & twisted kind of "caring" that abusive people have towards their victims of abuse.

Limee

Nov 1, 2017
I'd like to think that subconsciously it is impossible to dislike Brie Larson.

Over 500 million internationally for 5 of the last 6 MCU films (poor AM&TW).

Nov 30, 2017

I keep saying it, over and over, that if you told 10-year-younger me that a Captain Marvel movie would outgross a major Justice League movie globally in under two weeks, I've had laughed you out of the room.

At this point everything will outgross JL. Even Shazam will.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Haha, she''s made some bad choices lately, yeah. (Although, I did love Lucy, personally)

Ghost in the Shell was really bad, and honestly, literally anyone other than Scarlett would've been a more interesting choice. I love her, but her being the Major was the most predictable thing you could've done, and they did it.

I kind of feel the way about Scarlett Johansson the way a lot of people do about Brad Pitt—she's an excellent character actor, and her best movies are the ones where she's playing weird, off-beat characters. Unfortunately, she looks like Scarlett Johansson, and so people keep trying to put her in heroine roles.

That might be why Lucy worked for me. Because she did get to play to her strengths. Black Widow's the same way—she was boring as heck in Iron Man 2, but she's only gotten more and more interesting as we've started to see weirder sides of that character. I loved her in Winter Soldier.

That's because Winter Soilder is basically a romcom starring two leads with incredible chemistry. It's as much a sequel to The Nanny Diaries as it is to the first avenger. It's such a pity that the Russo's steered away from the CapWidow pairing due to wanting to be contrarian when it's been a highlight of every movie where they have shared ample time together

OP
OP
Ishaan

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
That's because Winter Soilder is basically a romcom starring two leads with incredible chemistry. It's as much a sequel to The Nanny Diaries as it is to the first avenger. It's such a pity that the Russo's steered away from the CapWidow pairing due to wanting to be contrarian when it's been a highlight of every movie where they have shared ample time together

Personally, I'm perfectly happy with Cap/Nat being besties/partners, and Natasha and Banner having their on-again, off-again romance. But who knows where it's going. At this point, Natasha's really good friends with both Cap and Hawkeye, and she and Banner have probably had a conversation at some point about their history, too.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
From a narrative standpoint, you want that scene to play out for the audience, to make it very clear what's going on, and how both people feel about it. Structurally, the movie is set up in a way that way too much time has passed between the training scenes at the start and the battle at the end. It would make for a better conflict if they were to reinforce it better and flesh it out better, in my opinion.

I think your mistake is to still be hung up on your belief that the Yong-Rogg was doing everything in good faith. Maybe some things, he did, and Carol maybe thinks that too and she doesn't kill him or tortures him for it (which ironically, shows the audience AGAIN that her emotions were never a problem). But the movie goes out of the way to show that, actually, Carol is pretty emotionless during the entire movie, if maybe a bit too impulsive during the beginning mission (which might have been a mistake, perhaps, on the part of the directors because that gives the audience a bit of justification for siding with Yong-Rogg). But outside of the beginning with Yong-Rogg (who constantly provokes Carol on purpose, so he can later tell her to "not be provoked"), we get to see that Carol isn't actually an overly emotional or irrational person and it was all just a way for Yong-Rogg and the Kree to control Carol.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I'm so glad Captain Marvel exposed feminists as being desperate enough to artificially boost this failing movie's sales! Now Hollywood will never greenlight another woman-led superhero movie again.

OP
OP
Ishaan

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
I think your mistake is to still be hung up on your belief that the Yong-Rogg was doing everything in good faith. Maybe some things, he did, and Carol maybe thinks that too and she doesn't kill him or tortures him for it (which ironically, shows the audience AGAIN that her emotions were never a problem). But the movie goes out of the way to show that, actually, Carol is pretty emotionless during the entire movie, if maybe a bit too impulsive during the beginning mission (which might have been a mistake, perhaps, on the part of the directors because that gives the audience a bit of justification for siding with Yong-Rogg). But outside of the beginning with Yong-Rogg (who constantly provokes Carol on purpose, so he can later tell her to "not be provoked"), we get to see that Carol isn't actually an overly emotional or irrational person and it was all just a way for Yong-Rogg and the Kree to control Carol.

I'm just not seeing a lot of this, and I honestly feel it comes down to the movie not conveying it as well as it should.

At the start, Carol is clearly impulsive, has control issues, and is borderline reckless when they're taking on the Skrulls. Yon-Rogg teaches control, teaches not relying on her power. All standard combat training, and none of which came off as "abusive" to me whatsoever. Later, when Starforce goes on a mission, Yon-Rogg comes off looking like a good field leader.

Then, once Carol is on Earth, we barely see Yon-Rogg again, until the very end of the movie.

And that's honestly the problem. At the start of the movie, you're led to believe that he's just a decent superior officer. Then, at the end of the movie (with two hours filled with wisecracks and space combat and maguffins having passed in between), he's suddenly a terrible person. There's no attempt on the part of the directors to flesh him out. No moments where you're going, "Oh god, I liked this guy, but he's getting really creepy now" or "Oh man, I really want to like him, but what are these things he's saying to her?"

There's no buildup. It just skips from good to evil, and the events in between barely involve Yon-Rogg in any capacity. And that's why it's difficult for me to make this connection of him always having been this terrible, abusive figure. I would've appreciated a LOT more buildup and a lot more back-and-forth. But then, that would make for a much more serious movie. And well, that's just not what most Marvel movies focus on, is it?

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
It just skips from good to evil
There was never any "good" to begin with. Denvers was being manipulated by a manipulative, abusive asshole. You only perceive any good in there because of the initial context being portrayed as Danvers having been saved by the Kree & her now helping in defending a nation under attack, but all of that is just total & utter BS.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I'm just not seeing a lot of this, and I honestly feel it comes down to the movie not conveying it as well as it should.

At the start, Carol is clearly impulsive, has control issues, and is borderline reckless when they're taking on the Skrulls. Yon-Rogg teaches control, teaches not relying on her power. All standard combat training, and none of which came off as "abusive" to me whatsoever. Later, when Starforce goes on a mission, Yon-Rogg comes off looking like a good field leader.

Then, once Carol is on Earth, we barely see Yon-Rogg again, until the very end of the movie.

And that's honestly the problem. At the start of the movie, you're led to believe that he's just a decent superior officer. Then, at the end of the movie (with two hours filled with wisecracks and space combat and maguffins having passed in between), he's suddenly a terrible person. There's no attempt on the part of the directors to flesh him out. No moments where you're going, "Oh god, I liked this guy, but he's getting really creepy now" or "Oh man, I really want to like him, but what are these things he's saying to her?"

There's no buildup. It just skips from good to evil, and the events in between barely involve Yon-Rogg in any capacity. And that's why it's difficult for me to make this connection of him always having been this terrible, abusive figure. I would've appreciated a LOT more buildup and a lot more back-and-forth. But then, that would make for a much more serious movie. And well, that's just not what most Marvel movies focus on, is it?
There was never any 'good' with Yon Rogg. He was always abusive. He was always manipulative. He was always creepy. All that's changed is you now have the awareness of what he's been doing to her all this time.

There is no actual difference between what he says near the start of the film and what he says by the end. Carol just sees him for what he is by the end.

OP
OP
Ishaan

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be watching the movie a second time today with a friend (who's also super into comic books) so I'm gonna see if this stuff sticks out to me better on a re-watch, and discuss it with him as well, to see what his read on things is. That should be fun. One of the things we both have in common is that we only watched the first trailer for Captain Marvel, and tuned out of the media circus after that.

My friends and I went into the movie completely blind the first time, and honestly none of us read as deeply into the movie as I've seen other people doing. Two of them were women (one being my fiancée and the other a real close friend of ours). We talked about it during dinner that night, and they were both of the opinion that Wonder Woman had a lot more of the "girl power" message going for it than Captain Marvel did. (And that WW did it more effectively)

In other news, the Fox/Disney merger just went through a few hours ago. If the stars align, there might be some unpleasant stuff in store for Carol in the future...

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's doing very well. How does it compare to Black Panther on a day to day bases?

Also, do you guys think it'll pass Aquaman? (Currently at $1,146,455,373)

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
There was never any 'good' with Yon Rogg. He was always abusive. He was always manipulative. He was always creepy. All that's changed is you now have the awareness of what he's been doing to her all this time.

There is no actual difference between what he says near the start of the film and what he says by the end. Carol just sees him for what he is by the end.

I agree. Its why I think Jude Law deserves massive praise for how he portrays this role. Its so subtle but yet so clear once you get the reveal. Brilliant acting.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I agree. Its why I think Jude Law deserves massive praise for how he portrays this role. Its so subtle but yet so clear once you get the reveal. Brilliant acting.
Me and my gf are taking her sister to see it this week. I'm probably most excited to see those little bits between Brie and Jude Law again with the new context in mind.

He really is one of those actors who can ride the line between charming and sinister, and you'll never know when the flip happened.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
I'll be watching the movie a second time today with a friend (who's also super into comic books) so I'm gonna see if this stuff sticks out to me better on a re-watch, and discuss it with him as well, to see what his read on things is. That should be fun. One of the things we both have in common is that we only watched the first trailer for Captain Marvel, and tuned out of the media circus after that.

My friends and I went into the movie completely blind the first time, and honestly none of us read as deeply into the movie as I've seen other people doing. Two of them were women (one being my fiancée and the other a real close friend of ours). We talked about it during dinner that night, and they were both of the opinion that Wonder Woman had a lot more of the "girl power" message going for it than Captain Marvel did. (And that WW did it more effectively)

In other news, the Fox/Disney merger just went through a few hours ago. If the stars align, there might be some unpleasant stuff in store for Carol in the future...

I really do get where you're coming from, but I actually do think that out of all of the movie's flaws, the reveal that Yon-Rogg is actually an abusive shit isn't one of them, not exactly. The movie is telling you "Yon-Rogg being nice and you agreeing with some of what he says doesn't make him a good guy. He turned on Carol quickly and is still trying to manipulate her (and the audience), and him and the Kree were holding her back." I know you think this wasn't communicated with 100% efficiency to a wider audience, but a big chunk of the audience did pick up on this and that's were a lot of the reviewers tend to disagree when it comes to the effectiveness of the emotional core of the movie. It all comes down to: do you believe abusive men can be nice guys and therefore, the abuse is valid to some degree?

Also, Wonder Woman was one form of girl power that is a bit more straightforward. Captain Marvel's girl power is different and so is her journey. There's some important differences between the two. Wonder Woman wasn't exactly trying to find her way out of an abusive relationship.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017

Damn man you are STILL clinging to this? You got the movie wrong. That's ok.. check your biases next time.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
I'm glad a female-led superhero movie is doing this well.

That being said, I personally thought the movie was wack.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Damn man you are STILL clinging to this? You got the movie wrong. That's ok.. check your biases next time.

Literally everyone besides Ishaan in this thread: "No, it's really obvious what's going on between Carol and Yon-Rogg. You read the situation wrong."

Ishaan: "I don't think people are going to get it, they should've made it more obvious!"

I mean, it's okay if you missed out on something, but clearly it wasn't the case that the relationship is ambiguous...

SonofDonCD

Oct 26, 2017

But why was he trying to suppress her powers, when if she had better control of them, she's EASILY win the war for the Knee? Think about that for a second.

The answer is two fold: first off, in-universe if Vers were to become too powerful, she'd be too difficult for the Knee to control. Secondly, the metaphor is that women's true power and their true potential are more often than not suppressed by men (and society at large), and that if they were allowed to reach their full potential, the skies the limit.

Again, you're made to think he cares for her to start. But as the movie goes about its business, you begin to see how the entire time the Knee were gaslighting Carol. Then, when you go back and look at how they were treating her at the beginning, it's under the new context. This is how many abusive relationships can be seen as well, which is the whole point of the analogy being made with the movie. Sure, from one perspective, it could look like Yon-Rogg is a caring mentor figure. Burr once you've got all the info from the back half of the movie, you now know that's just a facade to get what he wants. It's all rather obvious, really.

It's interesting how to some, it's so obvious as to be almost blunt in its execution, while to others, it seems too subtle.
It's not even so much about biases. Some times people just don't see what's obvious to others. It's okay when that happens, but you should have enough self awareness to be able to see that, and not be too prideful to change your perspective.

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Why are we still talking about this IN A BOX OFFICE THREAD.

If anything I'd say the Ant movies overperformed. They are movies about ANT-MAN. Not even Hank Pym Ant-Man. This is a Z-tier superhero. And not only have they made good movies out of it they've been quite successful, and they've elevated the character into the savior of half of the universe.

kitzkozan

Oct 25, 2017

Captain Marvel surpassing Wonder Woman in days is mind blowing stuff (WW needed like 3+ months to gross 800M), but at this point it's success well earned for the MCU. If anything, it's great news for whatever female SHM is coming in the pipeline (Batgirl, Supergirl, Birds of Prey, Black Widow, etc) because these studios smell ton of money so they should put in the effort. There is zero excuses for bid budget female led movies flopping miserably at the box office.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
This. He was training Carol to further himself, his career, and his standing. He didn't care about her, he just wanted a weapon.

Really...disturbing to see people thinking he actually cared about her. Abusive people can have complex emotions, but they don't really care about the people they're abusing. They care about the possession, control, and influence they exert over them. That might make some things look like affection, but, imo, anyway, you can't care about people and abuse them, lie to them, and attempt to control their actions through deceit. Anything they do that might be construed as affection is just an attempt to further control the person they say they care about.

Seriously... I mean at the end he was literally relishing at the thought that he'd convince her to just throw hands and that he'd get to beat the shit out of her....

Like I actually understand why some would be prone to believe he cared about her.... The entire film is an utter subversion and destruction of the Master/Student relationship. In film, the master dreams for the day they are bested by their student, that's the entire goal of the training. Here Yon-Rogg fears it, he is not training Danvers to one day best him, he is training her to make sure she never does. She's not his student, she's his weapon, to be used and controlled by him. It's fucking brilliance to use such recognizable trappings like the Master/Student and the sparring scene to demonstrate an abusive relationship, because that's often how abuse is.... it looks normal.... it looks familiar and from the outside it's invisible.

Last edited:

Ganransu

Nov 21, 2017
The power of the Infinity War, everyone wants to see how powerful this supposed solution to the Thanos problem will be.