• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Very positive impressions so far.

To the surprise of no one, Brie is great. But it's the praise of Mendelsohn that is kind of blowing my mind. Not that he isn't a great actor -- because he is -- but it certainly isn't something anyone was talking about before these impressions.

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
sounds like a solid C+ action flick that i'll catch on blu-ray. Glad they didn't give comic book manchildren the chance to see this fail.

Oct 31, 2017
I think some tweets are starting to get spoilery so I'm out of this thread. Sorry for not replying further.

You kind of are in a way.

I'm really not.

Well, yeah, but that just means you calibrate based on what you know: That JL was a turd, and didn't get first impressions as good as this. Therefor, Captain Marvel is, at the very least, not a turd. I know we'd like better than that, but I don't think being pessemistic is justified either.

Those JL reactions are... pretty tepid. Mildly positive. Much like the actual critical reception of the movie.

Not really being pessimistic, I have just not seen initial reactions not been good. Maybe they are not overwhelmingly positive, but those JL reactions make the movie seen better than it is, for example.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
The position that Marvel Studios has managed to put themselves in is nothing short of incredible.

They can market movies without showing much because the general audience has so much faith in them. And so far, it feels like Marvel hasn't taken advantage of that.

Most studios would kill to be in a place like this.
It's crazy that we're only a few months out from Endgame and we know next to jack shit about it due to the trailers, with most of what's known being through things like you leaks, yet it's the most anticipated and hyped movie of the year.

We're a few films away from Marvel trailers just being a logo and a date, and still making bank.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The position that Marvel Studios has managed to put themselves in is nothing short of incredible.

They can market movies without showing much because the general audience has so much faith in them. And so far, it feels like Marvel hasn't taken advantage of that.

Most studios would kill to be in a place like this.

Pretty much. I watch the trailers out of thirst rather than needing to be convinced to watch their movies at this point.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to see film on third week or so, avoiding the massive influx of screaming children and peeps talking in the theater.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
And nothing about Coulson. Guess he's so minor in the movie that he became pretty forgettable... =(

I never expected more than a cameo. It wouldn't make much sense to have him go on an intergalactic adventure considering everything that happens to him later on.

Was crossing my fingers for an Agent May cameo. Throw the TV fans a bone, dammit.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
GOTG 2 was good, but it lacked the unexpected wow factor of the first. Sort of like Deadpool

Early impressions seem better than I expected, should have known not to doubt Lord Feige

Nov 20, 2017
Why do these bigots always see politics in everything? They're fantasy movies. Fictional characters.

giphy.gif

I look forward to witnessing the schadenfreude when it makes almost a billion dollars.

tbh politics is in everything because of how pervasive it is in our lives and culture, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. 'Safe' movies just play to mainstream politics, so they become uncontroversial.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Dudes really thought this would be Marvel's first bomb
LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
tpgZWOt.gif

Mahvel Time all day every day baybee
Fucking awesome impressions, probably gonna end up seeing this 3+ times in theaters, can't fucking wait

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Now I'm curious as to what the GOTG tweet was... Though I did vastly prefer GOTG1 over 2; actually thought the latter was one of the weaker films of the phase.

Also...Hell yes, another good villain. Don't mind if I fucking dooooo

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
We've had a few decent villains already. Loki, Vulture, Thanos. (Even Hela was pretty cool.)

Fisk (Kingpin) in Daredevil is what the MCU needs to do with a villain. They don't do that, instead they generally make them cardboard one dimensional "villains" that are evil for the sake of evil and having someone that simply wants power to take over the world or whatever. Which is fine, for actino movies, but they just aren't that exciting or interesting usually, at least to me.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Fisk (Kingpin) in Daredevil is what the MCU needs to do with a villain. They don't do that, instead they generally make them cardboard one dimensional "villains" that are evil for the sake of evil and having someone that simply wants power to take over the world or whatever. Which is fine, for actino movies, but they just aren't that exciting or interesting usually, at least to me.

They've done a much better job of that the past couple years with Kilmonger and Thanos. Ego and Ghost weren't one dimensional either.

But it's true they haven't had a Kingpin yet. Of course, that's the benefit of 13-episode television seasons. You can slowly build up a villain.

Kormora

Nov 7, 2017
Am I just getting cynical when I say these reactions look like any other social media reactions Marvel movie had prior to release?