• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NPR said:
Marvel has been churning out million-dollar superhero blockbusters for over a decade now. They know how to do them - and you know how to watch them.

Seattle Times said:
Like its tough, smart heroine, "Captain Marvel" dances to its own beat; it's an origin story that isn't structured as an origin story but gets there all the same. 3/4

Associated Press said:
The first female-led movie of the MCU deserved more.

Los Angeles times said:
It's not only heroes who can have superpowers, movies can have them too, and you can add "Captain Marvel" to the small list of those that do.

AV Club said:
It's everything you might expect a sci-fi superhero movie to be, if you hadn't seen one in a long time. GRADE: C

Hollywood Reporter said:
The picture is not dull, exactly, just mundane, marked by unimaginative plotting, cut-rate villains, a bland visual style and a lack of elan in every department.

812FilmReviews said:
Brie Larson [as Captain Marvel] proves all the doubters wrong...while continuing her ascension as a cultural and feminist icon. 3/4

Screen Space said:
Captain Marvel is not the blunt-force challenge to the accepted norms that Ryan Coogler's Black Panther came to represent, but it's a potent statement of intent. 4/5

The Wrap said:
Absolutely grounds itself in the '90s, even evoking a riot grrrl-adjacent feeling, buoyed by a soundtrack that features almost exclusively rock fronted by female voices - a reminder of an era that showed so much promise for brash, loud women.

Chicago Tribune said:
How's Larson? She's more than good enough for this job. It's not her loosest work, but few, if any, good actors deliver their loosest work in a superhero movie. 3/4

Entertainment Weekly said:
The movie's treatment of its source material is clever. GRADE: B

New York Post said:
The character, even when kicking ass, is a total bore. 1.5/4

Den of Geek said:
This movie is no Black Panther or, if we're expanding the field of comparison, Wonder Woman... Luckily, Captain Marvel doesn't have to be better than all of the MCU's previous films to be something enjoyable. 3.5/5

Newsday said:
Only the most dedicated Marvel fans will follow this Captain. 2/4

The John Campea Show said:
An important Marvel movie that connects a lot of dots the MCU has generated over 20+ films. Not one of the TOP tier MCU films, but a solid and entertaining one nonetheless. 7/10

ComicBook Debate said:
While a solid film, Captain Marvel seems more intent on setting Carol Danvers up for future appearances than making her first film truly great. 3/5

Chicago Sun Times said:
It's a real treat to see Carol Danvers find her footing and her wings, so to speak, while at the same time Nick Fury is taking the first steps toward becoming NICK FURY. 3.5/4

Matt's Movie Reviews said:
Survives a bumpy ride of origin story tropes and sci-fi jibber-jabber to become a supernova of a superhero movie sure to shake up the MCU. 3.5/5

Attitude said:
Captain Marvel takes a while to find its pace, but when it does, it doesn't dissapoint. 4/5

ScreenRant said:
Captain Marvel has all the usual MCU humor and action (with a few surprises), and plenty of girl power moments in Larson's strong performance. 4/5

Movie Nation said:
Liberating. Cute. Forgettable. 2.5/4

Vox said:
The movie ultimately becomes an electric light show with Carol at the supernova center of it. 3/5

I'll continue to add more.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
I really wish a rule was made where rotten percentages for movies wasn't permissible in thread titles tbh. I make an effort to avoid rotten scores until after I see a movie.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds good, though Marvel movies usually rate rather high either way. Will probably see it next week or so.

Last edited:

Kaiser Swayze

Oct 30, 2017
Looking forward to seeing it myself, but my expectations have been tempered a little by the early feedback. Folks seem to be putting it on the level of First Avenger, which isn't bad. At least nobody is invoking The Dark World.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These big companies care more about Rotten Tomato critic scores than anything else, don't they? It's what is usually flaunted when a movie scores high.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Seems like a lot of "Meh, leaning positive". At least there's a consensus that it is good rather than bad?

Personally if this movie came out a year ago I'd be pretty psyched but now? Endgame is all I'm here for.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Isn't 91% right in the middle of what MCU movies usually do?

..no? majority are lower than this.

GOTG1, Civil War (??!) tie it at 91, Homecoming, Ragnarok, and Avengers 1 are at 92, Iron Man is at 93, and BP is way up there at 97.

That said i expect this to drop a bit as more reviews come in. Mid 80s, probably.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't 91% right in the middle of what MCU movies usually do?

Typo, corrected now, I meant to say they rate rather high either way. The release date kinda forces me to watch it in the theatre as I have no way other way to watch it in time before the next Avengers drops. Was gonna wait on it otherwise, but there's that. At least it sounds like the movie's good, I wasn't 100% sold on the trailers alone (looked good but nothing special tbh).

Oct 25, 2017
trailers weren't super promising and it seems like the reviews are coming in as expected. Maybe ill still check it out this weekend just to get out of the house

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Typo, corrected now, I meant to say they rate rather high either way. The release date kinda forces me to watch it in the theatre as I have no way other way to watch it in time before the next Avengers drops.

This is an interesting release strategy i hadn't considered until now

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
..no? majority are lower than this.

GOTG1, Civil War (??!) tie it at 91, Homecoming, Ragnarok, and Avengers 1 are at 92, Iron Man is at 93, and BP is way up there at 97.

That said i expect this to drop a bit as more reviews come in. Mid 80s, probably.
My point was this isn't lower than they usually do :P

Typo, corrected now, I meant to say they rate rather high either way. The release date kinda forces me to watch it in the theatre as I have no way other way to watch it in time before the next Avengers drops. Was gonna wait on it otherwise, but there's that. At least it sounds like the movie's good, I wasn't 100% sold on the trailers alone (looked good but nothing special tbh).
"Good but not life changing" is usually how all MCU movies go lol. This one sounds great.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
So not the best MCU movie but still good, that's all I needed to know.

At this point most people know what to expect, if you love MCU movies, you will probably like this too, if not then it probably won't change your mind.

I'm looking forward to watching this in IMAX this weekend.

kanuuna

Oct 26, 2017
IndieWire didn't seem too hot on this.
Then again I wasn't really looking forward to seeing this.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I mean that's absolutely not true. Black Panther has like an 8.3/10 average, even something as also-ran as Doctor Strange has a 7.3/10. Most of the recent films have 7.5+

Black Panther was a cultural touchstone that exceeded EVERYONE'S expectations, just won three oscars and was nominated for best picture.

Using it as a measuring stick isn't reasonable. There haven't been ANY superhero films made on that level since Superman kicked off the genre in 1978.

As for the rest of your comment, i don't consider the difference between a 7.05, a 7.3, and a 7.5 to be significant, especially when film criticism revolves as much as it does around personal taste and individual resonance of themes, versus technical competence, frame rate, resolution etc as game scores do.

JK-Money

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
cant wait for all these hurt white boys and incels

Deleted member 19844

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
Looking forward to seeing it myself, but my expectations have been tempered a little by the early feedback. Folks seem to be putting it on the level of First Avenger, which isn't bad. At least nobody is invoking The Dark World.
The comparison with First Avenger seems about right in terms of the general quality of the movie. Unfortunately for me I found First Avenger to be a rather boring movie. :-(

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
As for the rest of your comment, i don't consider the difference between a 7.05, a 7.3, and a 7.5 to be significant, especially when film criticism revolves as much as it does around personal taste and individual resonance of themes, versus technical competence, frame rate, resolution etc as game scores do.

I...I don't agree with any of this.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Some of those blurbs don't sound too great, I expected better based on the % but that's just RT for you.
Doesn't sound like it will overcome the MCU curse for me since the ones I enjoy are few and far between and it looks like CM is middle of the pack but I have no doubt that it will be a crowd-pleaser regardless.
Not sure how to read this. Is it supposed to be kind of sad?
Yeah kind of a weirdly depressing quote tbh.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Seems like the feedback matches the feel from the trailers. I think the metacritic score will be more meaningful here. 91% of people rating it as a 7/10 doesn't mean much. It's rather misleading. In fact, it's sitting @ 68 on MC, which is probably more representative of the quality of the movie based on those blurbs.
https://www.metacritic.com/movie/captain-marvel

So not bad, but not too great or exciting either. Will give it a watch Thursday or Friday.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Crazy reception already gawdam 0_0. Can't wait to see it tomorrow

edit: wait nvm some of the reviews sound like it's just good and not fantastic. Still excited to see it

Oct 25, 2017
I love the lede that Michael Phillips did at the Tribune: "Captain Marvel" pushes a rabid feminist agenda. Meaning: There's a female lead this time. So that's one more white male out of work.

(I should point out he's being sarcastic and poking fun at the nerds and incels upset and outraged at the movie)

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
So many of these quotes sounds like 5/10, lol. I don't understand RT Score.

RT scores aggregate whether reviews look like they want people to go see it. If they're on a scale of 1 to 10, it means 91% of the reviewers thinks it's 6/10 or above and 9% thinks it's 5 and below. I don't really like it because it really doesn't tell you much if a movie gets like 60% or 70%. I don't really like RT nor MC either way. Just read reviewers that you're used to. Have a feel of what the reviewers li,ed previously and gauge thier views.

Before reviews on the internet I used to read a local magazine weekly and it's usually the same woman who reviewed every movie.She never gave horror movies more than 3 stars out of 5 ( usually 2 or 1 stars) so I concluded that she probably hate horror and I just ignore her opinions of horror movies.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
This is going to be Dr. Strange and Ant Man 2 levels of forgettable

Dr. Strange isnt a bad comparison...its an origin film and origin films often come saddled with a bunch of predictable scenes and "go through the motions" because Thats What You Do with those.

For all it's flaws though, Strange DID set up what is possibly the most interesting MCU character since RDJs Iron Man and Evans' Cap.

Benedryl Cabbagepatch's Dr Strange was a standout part of BOTH Ragnarok and Infinity War...but neither would have been possible without the setup of the origin film.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to seeing the movie on Thursday, but man do the reviews not read like a 91%, then again how RT does scores is very odd and different compared to say metacritic and other sites.