• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Theres a lot of leeway in how you interpret "Captain Marvel undoes the snap" but I would say while she will be an integral part of achieving whatever form of victory they get, it won't be because she shows up and is just that powerful. That would be really poor writing, to have a character show up in like the 20th movie, with very little prior acknowledgement, and beat the bad guy that defeated all the heroes of the MCU. Just like I think it would be lazy storytelling if they just use time travel to beat Thanos, but like CM time travel will likely play a role but it won't be the deus ex machina for kicking Thanos' butt.

That may not how everything goes, since they are basing it on the comics.
Nebula has to get it. That's your second or third act right there.

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
Theres a lot of leeway in how you interpret "Captain Marvel undoes the snap" but I would say while she will be an integral part of achieving whatever form of victory they get, it won't be because she shows up and is just that powerful. That would be really poor writing, to have a character show up in like the 20th movie, with very little prior acknowledgement, and beat the bad guy that defeated all the heroes of the MCU. Just like I think it would be lazy storytelling if they just use time travel to beat Thanos, but like CM time travel will likely play a role but it won't be the deus ex machina for kicking Thanos' butt.
Part of her power is from one of the stones.. Thanos has what 5 of those things? She ain't don't anything by herself. And in all honesty the movie did a terrible job of showing us she is even more powerful than thor

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Just got back and liked it a fair bit. A couple thoughts:

• Brie was great and I can't really see objectively why anyone would have a problem with her performance, I thought her and Jackson had pretty good chemistry onscreen, more so than say, Fury and Cap in Winter Soldier.
  • Not sure if it was our theater but the film seemed a bit dark on screen to me when there wasn't light blasting everywhere. Like during a certain costume change the scene felt weirdly dark considering the importance of the moment.
  • Goose was a lot of fun and while things were telegraphed from the get go it felt a little janky the way things went in the end, almost like there was a missing scene or line
  • Her mohawk costume looks awful in the comics and still looks awful here.
  • It wasn't even 1/100th as bad as it could be but military themes always turn me off.
  • RT score is about where it should be. Middle of the pack. Look forward to seeing the character more.

Last edited:

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
That may not how everything goes, since they are basing it on the comics.
Nebula has to get it. That's your second or third act right there.

Well, how they defeat Thanos and what happens after are two different things, right? Maybe that's semantics, I don't know, but regardless that would be both a logical and especially thematically resonant event with a character who is well established in the universe.

Completely different than if Carol just blasts Thanos and they win (which I don't think many people expect, but nonetheless that kind of resolution would be very bad).

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
That was pretty great. A little uneven-particularly near the beginning and I think some of Brie's lines were a little stiff...but then again all the great actors in this franchise have delivered some dull lines. But those are minor nitpicks. I LOVED Nick Fury in this. He was so cheerful and optimistic!

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Movie is a bit slow, I was kind of indifferent throughout the first half but then it gets pretty good and the last act is hype. Brie is cool and I'm looking forward to see her destroy shit in Endgame

Nov 11, 2017
I liked the movie.

Anyone talk about the score already? It seemed incredibly generic. Weren't they trying to have more memorable scores?

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it really starts to pick up once Fury and Carol start working together.

They just have such fun chemistry with each other.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
Look, the real boldness of the movie is that it doesn't over-complicate things, in addition to allowing Brie to portray Carol in a surprisingly fragile way that's not at all 'blank' as some people feared in advance.

In terms of not over-complicating things: Where the movie could have become bombastic or typically melodramatic instead it opts for sweetness. Brie, Mendelsohn, Maria and Monica, they all contribute to a very simple, down-to-earth sweetness that's underplayed in a very confident way. I think this is the key thing the directors bring to the table.

Also the action scenes don't drag out or introduced forced twists, which is dang refreshing, especially at the end.

And since Brie is allowed to explore nuances of now knowing who you are, and really grapple with the mystery, when the gleeful over-confident Carol we know from the comics arrives, you just want to see punches thrown and baddies blown.

Anyone talk about the score already? It seemed incredibly generic. Weren't they trying to have more memorable scores?

It's one of the best in MCU behind Black Panther: There's the mix of Williams-like classic heroic themes and more galactic electronic elements. The playful genre mix with 90s cop movie sounds. The pure hype tracks. And the sweeter, melodic melancholy themes.

Kaban

Oct 25, 2017
Really weirdly paced movie. Wanted to like it, but thought it was on the weaker spectrum of Marvel movies, along the likes of Thor 1 & 2 and Doctor strange. Also my theater had a really weird sound system that made some of the dialogue a little harder to hear.

That said, really looking forward to seeing how CM plays into the Endgame. The Russo brothers realized Dr Strange so much better in Infinity Wars than in his origin movie, maybe they can do the same with Danvers.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
...huh.

So, I wasn't in any rush to see this. I'm a very casual fan--I've never been big on comic books or super heroes, but I enjoy a fun movie. So while I'm not hugely knowledgeable on the lore, I've still enjoyed most of the MCU movies (the only one I really love being Thor Ragnarok). However, I fucking hated Infinity War, and it turned me off of the MCU as a whole.

However, my friends were going tonight and I have AMC A-list, so I though "why not?" And... I liked it WAY more than I ever expected to?

It's not perfect--I specifically feel the movie is weighed down by its need to fit into the MCU--but I really dug it overall.

I think me not knowing shit about Krees and Scrolls (sorry if I'm butchering it) really helped me enjoy it more. I did NOT see the twist coming until
that evil dude from GotG showed up on the Kree side. I was confused for a moment, then started to piece it all together.

And the pathos of the film was REALLY saved by Ben Mendelsohn's character. When I realized why he really wanted to get to the lab, I got a little teary-eyed.

Anyway, I think I've realized I just like the solo outings more than the big team-ups. Glad this movie is doing well--I think it deserves the success.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I thought the movie was a bit generic until the midway point Thing happened and I suddenly got way more on board with both the plot and the character. Honestly really want a sequel because I'm noticing the MCU always struggles with origin stories the most (besides Iron Man and Cap), having CM's whole deal now explained opens a lot of fun doors.

I'm simultaneously glad and disappointed the movie barely hits you over the head with the '90s nostalgia, too, it's basically just for establishment and little else. The computer jokes were gold at least.

Colloco

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
florida
Buddy cop / Interstellar war

I dont really see the buddy cop, there really wasn't any crimes scene investigations/uncovering conspiracy's, no young and wild /loose cannon one vs the straight shooter/veteran that's in virtually every buddy cop film. Again, they could have done this, it would have been awesome.

Also, not really any different as far as it having elements of interstellar war than avengers 1or GOTG.

Deleted member 1445

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont really see the buddy cop, there really wasn't any crimes scene investigations/uncovering conspiracy's, no young and wild /loose cannon one vs the straight shooter/veteran that's in virtually every buddy cop film. Again, they could have done this, it would have been awesome.
Eh, there's more types of buddy cop movies.
It was totally a Nick Fury + Captain America team up movie, with some detective stuff and action. They learn to trust each other and are buddies by the end.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
Saw it yesterday with my friends and I really liked it. Carol and Fury are a really good team, Goose is great, science guy killed me.

VoidPlot

Nov 1, 2017
Man... Brie Larson was at the AMC literally 13 mins away from my home. And I went to the AMC that's on another town... god hates meeeee

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Look, the real boldness of the movie is that it doesn't over-complicate things, in addition to allowing Brie to portray Carol in a surprisingly fragile way that's not at all 'blank' as some people feared in advance.

In terms of not over-complicating things: Where the movie could have become bombastic or typically melodramatic instead it opts for sweetness. Brie, Mendelsohn, Maria and Monica, they all contribute to a very simple, down-to-earth sweetness that's underplayed in a very confident way. I think this is the key thing the directors bring to the table.

Also the action scenes don't drag out or introduced forced twists, which is dang refreshing, especially at the end.

And since Brie is allowed to explore nuances of now knowing who you are, and really grapple with the mystery, when the gleeful over-confident Carol we know from the comics arrives, you just want to see punches thrown and baddies blown.

It's one of the best in MCU behind Black Panther: There's the mix of Williams-like classic heroic themes and more galactic electronic elements. The playful genre mix with 90s cop movie sounds. The pure hype tracks. And the sweeter, melodic melancholy themes.

I wished they had more of the soundtrack and had less 90s music (I'm not a big fan of 90s music in general despite technically spending half my childhood and teenage years in them). The theatres i went to also sounded a bit on the soft side.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Just got back and liked it a fair bit. A couple thoughts:

• Brie was great and I can't really see objectively why anyone would have a problem with her performance, I thought her and Jackson had pretty good chemistry onscreen, more so than say, Fury and Cap in Winter Soldier.
  • Not sure if it was our theater but the film seemed a bit dark on screen to me when there wasn't light blasting everywhere. Like during a certain costume change the scene felt weirdly dark considering the importance of the moment.
  • Goose was a lot of fun and while things were telegraphed from the get go it felt a little janky the way things went in the end, almost like there was a missing scene or line
  • Her mohawk costume looks awful in the comics and still looks awful here.
  • It wasn't even 1/100th as bad as it could be but military themes always turn me off.
  • RT score is about where it should be. Middle of the pack. Look forward to seeing the character more.

Pretty much my thoughts too, although Brie looked kinda bored to me quite a bit of the time. Could be a writing/directing issue though.

Overall a decent movie, but I think it had far more potential.

Hoping for a better Captain Marvel movie next month ;)

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I liked it. Samuel L Jackson was having a blast doing it and you can tell.

Damn, that post credits scene
CapA having a beard is super weird, Cap Marvel arrives then pretty much when the decimation happens or what??

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
This movie made me like Carol the way Iron Man made me like Tony. Two characters I don't much care for in comics. That's a feat.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
trank-beer-ff-tweetx5k6y.png

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Saw it today. Disclaimer: I don't really give a shit about the MCU, and my enjoyment for the films are a mixed bag. Some I love. Some I don't. I really don't think the MCU is all some make it out to be and I don't froth at the mouth for every adaptation. That being said, I do enjoy seeing them every once in awhile because who doesn't love dumb popcorn fun.

In short, really enjoyed it. Knew its place balancing seriousness with humour. Plot kept itself interesting and engaging with threads of mystery that are baited and explored as it progresses, and it doesn't lean too heavily on one singular twist or revelation, but instead layers concepts on top of each other in a mostly believable way. Great as an entry piece, and works well as a stand alone film that also happens to integrate cleanly into the MCU, which is where I feel the best MCU films are. Mendelsohn absolutely steals the show and is the best thing about the film. Larson is fine enough but I feel miscast in that she doesn't have the charisma I expected from the character. I feel a more charismatic actress would have elevated the film as a whole.

Special effects were great. Good stuff. Glad I went and saw it.

Broken Joystick

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
England
That was really really nice and fun. As her introduction into the universe, I thought it totally worked. I think there's definite room for improvement, but I got a lot of First Avenger vibes here. I'm really excited to see how the Russos handle her in Endgame and how she progresses in this universe, and I'd totally be okay with her taking Captain America's role in the Avengers as the leader who doesn't realise they're the leader.

Loved Mendelsohn's character and how they handles the Skrulls, I wasn't expecting that at all.

Z'ard

Mar 5, 2019
Ukraine
I loved it. Like 9/10. Doesn't really have many things to complain about. There also were like 10 year old girl with her father, and she was very into it. It's nice to see such thing)

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

Marvel made Danver's a worth while character. I know you have to be dead 10 years for sainthood, but Feige should get it now

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed it. 7-7.5/10 on a comic movie scale which exceeded my expectations from what the trailer presented. Was happy about the twists as someone who didn't know any details about the character--because the initial trajectory the plot is on is full af. Swerve saves the film.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Movie was cool and the last 20 minutes have shown what we can expect in terms of power :) Brie Larson was cool

UnknownSpirit

Oct 25, 2017
Just got out. It was awesome. Carol is awesome.. it was all awesome.

There is one sequence that is on the level of thor arriving in IW.

I think at least

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I thought it was one of the weaker MCU films, around Dr Strange level. Just seemed to be missing something.