• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
www.nbcnews.com

Capitol riot suspect plotted to sell stolen Pelosi laptop to Russian intelligence, authorities say

Riley June Williams was turned in to the FBI by a former "romantic partner," according to court documents.

Video at the link

A Pennsylvania woman accused of being one of the Capitol rioters told a former "romantic partner" she planned to steal a laptop computer from House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's office and sell it to Russian intelligence, court documents revealed Monday.

Riley June Williams was on the run, charged with disorderly conduct on Capitol grounds with the intent to disturb a session of Congress and other charges after her former flame turned her in.

"Williams is not in custody," a federal law enforcement officials told NBC News on Monday afternoon.

William's ex, who was described in Special Agent Jonathan Lund's charging document as W 1 (witness one), called the FBI and told them she "intended to send the computer device to a friend in Russia, who then planned to sell the device to SVR, Russia's foreign intelligence service."

"According to W1, the transfer of the computer device to Russia fell through for unknown reasons and Williams still has the computer device or destroyed it," the document states.

Lund says the device and circumstances of what Williams was doing with it remain under investigation.

Pelosi deputy chief of staff, Drew Hammill, confirmed in a Tweet that Pelosi's laptop was stolen from the conference room on Jan. 6 but that it was "only used for presentations."

The FBI said they spoke with Williams' mother on Saturday and she allegedly said, "she recognized her daughter inside the U.S. Capitol Building and that her daughter had taken a sudden interest in President Trump's politics and "far-right message boards."
Williams, 22, lives with her mom in Harrisburg, The Philadelphia Inquirer reported.

An affidavit released by the authorities includes a link to a documentary about the Capitol riot that was filmed and produced by British broadcaster ITV News and in which a woman identified as Williams can be seen yelling "upstairs, upstairs, upstairs," and pushing people in the direction of Pelosi's office.

This woman, the reporter can be heard saying, was "disciplined, focused, with a sense of urgency, directing people up a staircase."

Williams' mother filed a suspicious person report on Jan. 11 with the police in Harrisburg, the FBI said. The suspicious person "was assumed" to be W 1.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Committing treason to own the libs? What do these people even consider themselves? I've seen people at Trump rallies wearing shirts that say things like "I'd rather be Russian than a Democrat," do people like this even consider themselves American?

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, that is actual, literal, treason... Is it not?

Only the best people. Love them very much.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Brad-Pitt-Approves-Enthusiastically-In-Burn-After-Reading.gif

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
Committing treason to own the libs? What do these people even consider themselves? I've seen people at Trump rallies wearing shirts that say things like "I'd rather be Russian than a Democrat," do people like this even consider themselves American?
They see a kindred spirit in a nationalist Russia.

DJConvoy

Jan 8, 2021
Actual, literal treason.

According to Cornell:

Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017

Of course. In fact, they consider themselves to be the only "true Americans."

Feb 1, 2018
We're SO lucky that these Y'allQuaedas aren't very smart because succesfully selling pelosi's laptop to the COD villains would be a massive, like epoch defining security breach for the US

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Actual, literal treason.

According to Cornell:

Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.
Russia is not officially an "enemy" of the US right now, that requires more than just being a nation on bad terms with us. The crime here would be espionage, which would still have a very severe punishment

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Russia-US relations are a hilarious back and forth. First they were our mortal enemy, then we (well, Clinton, Bush Sr, IMF, and World Bank) asset-stripped the country, impoverished its people, and staged a parliamentary coup for Yeltsin, then the Russians strike back by rallying under Putin, who now messed with our own elections and politics.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the kind of shit that gets Agent Bourne types on you. Like full on "Shoot first questions later."

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Of course. In fact, they consider themselves to be the only "true Americans."

I mean, I know the answer is "Because they're idiots, but how you reconcile selling state secrets to an enemy with being a true American?

And does this woman believe Russian collusion got Trump elected? Or are Trump people now done acting like that didn't happen? It's insane to me that so many people so just absolute morons like this and think "Yep, that's the side I wanna be on."

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
How did we go from double agents and secret pencil cameras to dumbasses announcing their treason on the internet and also live streaming it

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Russia-US relations are a hilarious back and forth. First they were our mortal enemy, then we (well, Clinton, Bush Sr, IMF, and World Bank) asset-stripped the country, impoverished its people, and staged a parliamentary coup for Yeltsin, then the Russians strike back by rallying under Putin, who now messed with our own elections and politics.

I'm really scared about what happens when Putin dies.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Sheeet I think even Putin would snitch on her. Knowing damn well he couldn't get anything worthwhile out of Pelosi's laptop anyway lol.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
I mean, I know the answer is "Because they're idiots, but how you reconcile selling state secrets to an enemy with being a true American?

And does this woman believe Russian collusion got Trump elected? Or are Trump people now done acting like that didn't happen? It's insane to me that so many people so just absolute morons like this and think "Yep, that's the side I wanna be on."

Because she thinks she's helping to uncover widespread voter fraud which will show her guy actually won in a landslide. She doesn't give a shit who helps and among hardcore conservatives there's a lot of adoration for Putin and Russia's authoritarianism. They want the exact same style of governing in America.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Guess they walked in a didnt ask for the cultural attaché.

For everybody wondering, there are no cultural attachés in ambassies. Its a cover title and position for intelligence officer or spy.
Not sure where you heard that, but I'm pretty sure they don't make up fake jobs for a spy's cover. That's be a shitty cover. The whole point of a cover is that it's a real job, not a blaring red flag that says "this person is a spy."

General rule of thumb: any sure-fire method you've heard of to out a spy is probably a lie, or else the entire occupation just wouldn't work.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019

I honestly don't know. Back in 2016, I saw right-wing nutjobs telling a friend "You need to vote for Trump! He will keep Russia in line!"

And then we have people on their side doing shit like this....... Like......what?

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
But she was doing it for America, right? I mean, she is a patriot after all. They were trying to overthrow our government for the sake of the country.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Because she thinks she's helping to uncover widespread voter fraud which will show her guy actually won in a landslide. She doesn't give a shit who helps and among hardcore conservatives there's a lot of adoration for Putin and Russia's authoritarianism. They want the exact same style of governing in America.

You really think that? I doubt many Trump voters could tell you a single thing about Russia, let alone how Putin governs. They may have some vague idea that he rigs elections.

If she truly believes she's uncovering fraud, why not just send evidence to Cruz or Hawley or Hannity or whoever?

I would bet money the entire thought process was "Liberals get worked up about Trump and Russia, so I'll send Pelosi's laptop to Russia." Either that or she read some nonsense on 4chan or whatever that made it make sense.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
She going to big boy prison. 23 and a half hours lock down shit

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
I mean correct me if im wrong, but if she truly did contact someone with the intent of selling perceived National documents and secrets to a adversarial government, that would technically be giving "aide and comfort" in a way that would betray the country?

Im guessing it's probably more narrowly defined than that given how few convictions have arisen from treason, but there has to be a more serious charge than what they are currently pursuing her for? And curious what that would realistically be once they catch and build a case?