• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Soooo, it turns out this is a thing? That people feel capitalization denotes a more formal/aloof tone..?

This is like when I learnt about that doorbell vs text thing all over again.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like capitalization is a style choice that matter very little (if at all) in informal settings.
I honestly have no strong opinion on this, outside that getting worked out over this seem silly, and I generally go with what the autocomplete offer me

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I saw a thing about this recently, a lot of younger people prefer lowercase as it seems more casual, conversational, and some apparently think capitalisation is more "aggressive" or stern.

I dunno, I always roll my eyes when I see people shitposting in full lowercase on twitter or letterboxd. It feels so self-conscious but I guess it might be a generation divide, or the fact people are using phones while I use desktop to do like 90% of my writing.

*old man yells at cloud*

Ultimately I don't care but my mind is so hard-wired to capitalise at this point that lowercase actually feels like more mental effort.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
i always text in lowercase except when the auto correct adds capitalization

HotStunt

Oct 27, 2017
I have the muscle memory for correct capitalization. Writing all lower-case would weirdly take more effort to give the appearance of low effort.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
In all seriousness, I pretty much always use punctuation and capitalization (as well as italics for emphasis). Except when I handwrite things. Then I use small caps.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
it's an aesthetic

also i feel that a lot of it comes from the conveniences of typing on a laptop vs a phone keyboard

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
On mobile most people have auto capitalization, on PC I just type in lower case.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
I can't not use proper capitalization. It's not hard to do but I don't really judge anyone who doesn't, as long as you can spell things correctly I'm good.
The only thing I can do is drop the period from my texts like one sentence texts.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who types out entire thoughts these days? What are we cavemen? I just reply in gif form. The truly erudite form of communication.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
All lower case does give off a certain vibe of person. One I usually wouldn't get along with.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I saw a thing about this recently, a lot of younger people prefer lowercase as it seems more casual, conversational, and some apparently think capitalisation is more "aggressive" or stern.
I wouldn't really call myself "young" at 29, but I definitely agree with this. It's basically text code switching

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Using proper capitalization vs all lower case is a deliberate choice based on audience, tone, and mood

Like 5% of my Era posts are all lower case, while probably about 90% of my Discord messages are

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017
as an almost-full lowercase person myself, it's genuinely because someone once told me "proper" capitalization and punctuation made me seem like an asshole

to be fair, I was an asshole

but I'm sure it didn't help

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
time and place. am i bothering to capitalize on era? no

talking/texting ppl? depends on who they are, but still mostly no.

you get the meaning, that's all that matters. caps or no caps

ZeroDotFlow

Oct 27, 2017
capitalization is only when you're looking to be professional or make an argument/debate since it shows you're more serious about it.

otherwise? casual conversations or what have you? lower case.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't even great at English or writing in school but my fingers naturally gravitate towards shift and general punctuation when typing on a keypad (I'd say or writing but damn I never do that anymore).

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I HAVE TO SAY THAT THIS IS A FAIRLY COMPLEX TOPIC. OF COURSE ON ONE HAND WE USE CAPITALISATION TO PROPERLY STRUCTURE SENTENCES, IT ALLOWS US TO TELL WHICH WORDS ARE NOUNS, PERSONAL NAMES - THE TOPICS OF THE SENTENCE - AND WHICH ARE MORE SYNTAX. SO TO JUST GET RID OF THAT WILL NATURALLY MAKE THINGS A BIT HARDER TO READ AND UNDERSTAND. ON THE OTHER HAND, IT IS ALSO UNDENIABLE THAT IT IS EASIER TO WRITE LOWERCASE, ESPECIALLY ON A HANDHELD DEVICE.
ULTIMATELY I FEEL THIS COMES DOWN TO PERSONAL PREFERENCE, IT SEEMS STRANGE TO EXPECT OTHER PEOPLE TO CHANGE THEIR PERSONAL TYPING PREFERENCE JUST TO SUIT YOUR TASTES, AFTER ALL IT'S NOT AS IF THE USE OF PROPER CAPITALISATION, OR THE THE LACK OF IT, MAKES A MAJOR DIFFERENCE WHEN USING A MESSAGING APP, WHERE FORMAL WRITING IS CERTAINLY NOT THE NORM AND PEOPLE MIX AND MATCH WHATEVER STYLE THEY LIKE.
IT WOULD BE INTERESTING TO SEE IF CONSISTENT USE OF ONE STYLE OVER THE OTHER WOULD GIVE ONE CERTAIN ADVANTAGES IN CERTAIN SITUATIONS, SAY DATING APPS. THIS SEEMS LIKE SOMETHING WORTH STUDYING AND TESTING IN SOCIAL SCIENCE.

collige

Oct 31, 2017

I honestly can't tell which direction the panties are supposed to be going here. Seems like it can go either way really

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
I just... do what is proper grammatically and don't even think about it. Do people seriously give a shit? I just do what I was fucking taught in grade school.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
I also hate people who overuse exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously though, some people can't spell because they're almost illiterate, some people can't see letters correctly. Sometimes I just don't use capitalization in texting because I'm a slow texter and idgaf. It's just silly to complain about something like this. Not using capitalization in texting doesn't mean you can't write. This is silly.

So many people trying to make themselves feel better and important by correcting everyone for every single grammar mistakes, every syntax errors. It's texting.

OwensboroEsq

Oct 25, 2017
Capitalization is important. It's the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off a horse." and...well... you get the idea.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
Purely anecdotal but everyone I've known who deliberately types in lowercase for aesthetic reasons (not because it's casual texting) has been a pretentious arse.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019

TigerBrownie

One Winged Slayer
May 9, 2018
Maybe I am starting to get out of touch (mid 20s), because writing everything in lowercase just comes across as sloppy and stupid to me. I didn't realize many people did this unironically until now.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
As a serious answer, I'll normally write correctly, but sometimes I'll use caps for emphasis - and sometimes, and this is something people don't seem to do all that often, I'll use lowercase for emphasis as well - to indicate that something is being said sotto voce, I guess.