• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
No plans to do so, and like waugh said the devs are not really active anymore, and I think the people in Carpe Fulgar now work on the Trails series for whoever localises that in the west these days. disregard this part, they only worked on Trails in the Sky SC.

It's a shame we never got Territoire but apparently EasyGameStation made a 2d platformer since then? I'm curious to try it considering how much I enjoyed Recettear.
Angel Express did get picked up since the release of Recettear/Chantelise.
store.steampowered.com

Angel Express [Tokkyu Tenshi] on Steam

Welcome to the realm of magic, monsters and fast-delivery-mail. Like every Messenger, you hope to join the elite ranks of the Angel Express. However, it won’t be as simple as outrunning the competition. You'll need to be quick on your feet and mindful of traps and other messengers. Only the...
It's alright. As was Chantelise. I think Recettear is more of a lightning in a bottle situation.
Maybe Sakuna will be the next doujin darling. It's been in development for several years by now.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
No, they did some work on Sky SC with XSeed, but I don't think they've worked on any of the other games since then. Since Recettear, they've done various other Japanese indie localizations and I also believe they worked on a recent Gundam game.

Oh yeah, SC. I remember that. It was a whole thing, crazy story.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
The Atelier franchise scratches a bit of the itch. As I posted earlier I'm still hoping http://potionomics.com/ turns out well and truly hits that itch.

It's heavily inspired by recettear and they aren't afraid to admit as much :P

Definitely also keeping an eye on that one as well, I remember when it was announced and it seemed like a neat combo of Atelier, Recettear, and card-based games. Can't wait!

Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't believe it had been that long so went to try to figure out when I bought it, since I thought it was pretty shortly post-release, and I now feel kind of guilty about how little I paid:
Screen_Shot_2020-09-10_at_12.32.05_PM.png

IIRC Recettear was the entire reason for my interest in that bundle. Man I miss old Steam sales.

I got it in that same bundle. Back when Steam sales were actually meaningful.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still sad that Territoire is basically dead. I know the Japanese indie scene is a fickle bunch on the best of days but that was looking to be something special.

Isamu

Dec 18, 2017
Downtown Rave City
And now, we're approaching the 12th anniversary! LOL.

I just started playing this game earlier today, and I'm already hooked! It seems like it's going to end up living up to the hype that it's gotten over the last decade. For such an old game it really is doing a lot of great things that some modern RPG's don't even do. Such a simple and charming game on the surface, with a very deep economic slant on gameplay. The only thing I'm not too fond of so far, is the rush to meet a certain monetary threshold by a certain date, or risk having your crib repossessed buy Tear lol. Wish there was no payment due every week, and we just build up our funds as we go along with no pressure. Other than that, I'm loving it!

With all of that having been said, any tips for a beginner to build up funds quickly? What is the fastest way to earn in your opinion?

Isamu

Dec 18, 2017
Downtown Rave City
That said, it does have its flaws, as its tutorial sort of screws you over, which in turn results in the little nightmare child wrecking unsuspecting players' games.
can you please elaborate on this? I just started playing am already met the little nightmare child you're Speaking of, but I don't wanna get wrecked. What exactly are you talking about?

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
can you please elaborate on this? I just started playing am already met the little nightmare child you're Speaking of, but I don't wanna get wrecked. What exactly are you talking about?
Basically, every customer has a budget but will never ask to buy something they can't afford. Thing is, some customers are stingier than others, and the tutorial suggests values that make it very difficult to properly level up each customer (and their budget). This makes that little girl particularly dangerous, as you'll just think she never buys anything of value (which absolutely isn't true - it's all about percentages). Frankly, since it doesn't ruin the game, I suggest using a guide that surfaces the ideal percentages for each customer for buying and selling, since you still need to deal with the challenges of stocking your store and whatnot. I use this one:

steamcommunity.com

Steam Community :: Guide :: Market Math Revealed

This guide blows up the skirt and rips back the curtain on this game's market math. If you want to enjoy the haggling and bartering in this game... you probably want to avoid this guide. Following t

Thing is, you still need to stock cheaper items (even if only in your inventory) for new customers so you can give them an opportunity to level up. Just make sure you're buying at the extreme low of any given percentage value and selling at the extreme high of any given percentage value to maximize your profits. For example, if you want to sell something at 105% of its value to someone, then adjust the percentage up to 106% and reduce the value gradually until it hits the highest end of 105%. You should always maximize your combo, and that means buying and selling UNINTERRUPTED as much as possible in a row. You get a LOT more experience this way.

The little girl is notorious for interrupting people's combos, whether it's because they don't understand that you need to offer her lower pricing for things she buys, higher pricing for things she sells, AND you need to make sure you're stocking items she can actually afford early on. To be fair, everyone has these limits behind the scenes in a sense, but the little girl is far more difficult to deal with if you're following the tutorial's suggestions.

With all of that having been said, any tips for a beginner to build up funds quickly? What is the fastest way to earn in your opinion?
I know opinions will vary on this, but I suggest limiting how many adventurers you unlock until you pay off your debt in its entirety. I really don't use dungeon runs to make money early on, and I make sure every dungeon visit goes as far as possible into unlocking new adventurers as early on as possible. Unlock Louie and Charme, but don't go much further than that until you've paid off your debt, as new adventurers will start with very low budgets and will need to leveled up, which means you'll need to have cheaper items available for them to buy relative to other customers.

Last edited:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
very happy with this thread bump

the bumper not only bumped a two year old thread, but asked a question of someone who commented two years ago, and then received a detailed response from that person

also its recettear which always deserves a bump

good bump, more bumps should be like this

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I still haven't actually played this, but as a lifelong console gamer who was super into JRPGs when this came out, it really was a watershed moment seeing a game like this exclusive to PC. Was a big part in getting me interested in PC gaming despite not having actually played it.

Dec 3, 2018
Does anyone know how to get this to work properly with the steam deck? It runs for me, but completely silently.

I played it when it first came out and remember loving it but never got very far because I didn't really understand the buying and selling mechanics as described above, really wanna give it another go.

Isamu

Dec 18, 2017
Downtown Rave City
Basically, every customer has a budget but will never ask to buy something they can't afford. Thing is, some customers are stingier than others, and the tutorial suggests values that make it very difficult to properly level up each customer (and their budget). This makes that little girl particularly dangerous, as you'll just think she never buys anything of value (which absolutely isn't true - it's all about percentages). Frankly, since it doesn't ruin the game, I suggest using a guide that surfaces the ideal percentages for each customer for buying and selling, since you still need to deal with the challenges of stocking your store and whatnot. I use this one:

steamcommunity.com

Steam Community :: Guide :: Market Math Revealed

This guide blows up the skirt and rips back the curtain on this game's market math. If you want to enjoy the haggling and bartering in this game... you probably want to avoid this guide. Following t

Thing is, you still need to stock cheaper items (even if only in your inventory) for new customers so you can give them an opportunity to level up. Just make sure you're buying at the extreme low of any given percentage value and selling at the extreme high of any given percentage value to maximize your profits. For example, if you want to sell something at 105% of its value to someone, then adjust the percentage up to 106% and reduce the value gradually until it hits the highest end of 105%. You should always maximize your combo, and that means buying and selling UNINTERRUPTED as much as possible in a row. You get a LOT more experience this way.

The little girl is notorious for interrupting people's combos, whether it's because they don't understand that you need to offer her lower pricing for things she buys, higher pricing for things she sells, AND you need to make sure you're stocking items she can actually afford early on. To be fair, everyone has these limits behind the scenes in a sense, but the little girl is far more difficult to deal with if you're following the tutorial's suggestions.

I know opinions will vary on this, but I suggest limiting how many adventurers you unlock until you pay off your debt in its entirety. I really don't use dungeon runs to make money early on, and I make sure every dungeon visit goes as far as possible into unlocking new adventurers as early on as possible. Unlock Louie and Charme, but don't go much further than that until you've paid off your debt, as new adventurers will start with very low budgets and will need to leveled up, which means you'll need to have cheaper items available for them to buy relative to other customers.

Wow super detailed reply!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for those tips man much appreciated! I'll definitely keep that in mind.

I just completed I think my third or 4th week, and now tear wants me to pay a whopping 80,000 PIX for next week's payment! Yikes!! How in the world am I going to raise those kinds of funds? I only have 11,000 PIX left, so not sure how I'm going to raise such a large amount in such a short period of time.

Anyway regarding the shop, I'm getting the hang of selling things, but I notice sometimes I get a string of customers that only wants me to buy their goods, and I don't know what a good strategy is, or whether or not it's even worth buying something every time it's offered to me. I always fear that I'll run out of PIX if I keep buying stuff.

Also you mentioned something I was unaware of.....that customers themselves can be leveled up, is this really true? I was completely unaware of that. So you're saying the little girls, the old man, the young average guy, and the housewife, can all be leveled up individually? Very interesting.

I suppose I'll have to do some heavy dungeon grinding, which brings me to my next question. Louie is level 18, while Charme is at level 9. I did a dungeon run with her, and she's OK, but not sure if I'm seeing anything special about her and compared to Louise. With her being a thief, I was actually expecting her to do some stealing from the enemies in the dungeons LOL but I guess I was wrong. Which adventurer would you say is worth hiring between those two?

Thordawgg

Nov 5, 2017
I love this game. Was only about a month ago searching to see if anything new was out from easy game station or Carpe Fulgur.

Nothing else has scratched the itch the way recettear does and even if there isn't anything new I'll always have great memories of this one

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Does anyone know how to get this to work properly with the steam deck? It runs for me, but completely silently.

I played it when it first came out and remember loving it but never got very far because I didn't really understand the buying and selling mechanics as described above, really wanna give it another go.
You apparently need to use a fork of Proton. You can find out more here:

I haven't bothered with this, personally, as I'm pretty sure I'm going to install Windows on my Steam Deck (just got it a few days ago) due to some compatibility issues with certain games I've been wanting to pick up and play again.

Wow super detailed reply!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for those tips man much appreciated! I'll definitely keep that in mind.

I just completed I think my third or 4th week, and now tear wants me to pay a whopping 80,000 PIX for next week's payment! Yikes!! How in the world am I going to raise those kinds of funds? I only have 11,000 PIX left, so not sure how I'm going to raise such a large amount in such a short period of time.

Anyway regarding the shop, I'm getting the hang of selling things, but I notice sometimes I get a string of customers that only wants me to buy their goods, and I don't know what a good strategy is, or whether or not it's even worth buying something every time it's offered to me. I always fear that I'll run out of PIX if I keep buying stuff.

Also you mentioned something I was unaware of.....that customers themselves can be leveled up, is this really true? I was completely unaware of that. So you're saying the little girls, the old man, the young average guy, and the housewife, can all be leveled up individually? Very interesting.

I suppose I'll have to do some heavy dungeon grinding, which brings me to my next question. Louie is level 18, while Charme is at level 9. I did a dungeon run with her, and she's OK, but not sure if I'm seeing anything special about her and compared to Louise. With her being a thief, I was actually expecting her to do some stealing from the enemies in the dungeons LOL but I guess I was wrong. Which adventurer would you say is worth hiring between those two?
The easiest way to make a LOT of money is to buy low and sell REALLY high. Basically, buy a lot of items that show up with blue text (meaning people aren't willing to pay what those items are usually worth) and try to hold onto those items until they show up in pink text (meaning people are willing to pay a LOT more than what those items are usually worth). You also need to maximize how many visitors you get during each stage of the day, which you can usually do by having a decent variety of items IN YOUR FRONT WINDOWS to attract more people. Upgrade your store when you can, as that gives you more display window space.

Buying items can be a real bummer at times, especially when you're close to a deadline. I usually risk the purchase to keep my combo going, personally, but you can always just make a pathetically low offer to avoid buying the item if you don't mind breaking your combo. If you're fairly early on, then I highly suggest focusing on keeping your combo going, as I'm pretty sure your experience nearly doubles with each "hit" in your combo to a certain point until it maxes out.

As for customers leveling up, yes, they do level up, but it's not explained very well during the game. When you see a heart appear after a transaction, that means that customer type has leveled up. Note that the guide I posted earlier shows you their starting and maximum budgets. See why that little girl is such a problem early on? And yes, each copy of each customer type has the same level, so leveling up any little girl will affect the budget of every little girl.

For early adventurers, I normally stick with Louie. Note that you can lend adventurers equipment from your shop, but that takes up space in their inventory. Frankly, I don't really like the adventuring part of the game. (I could, on the other hand, easily accidentally play the shop portion of the game well into the next morning and not even realize I've burned HOURS. Haha.) You may want to read the Steam discussions for the game or check around for a character guide to see if people have certain preferences for adventurers.

LiS Matt

Jan 19, 2018
I really should do another playthrough of this game, its been years since I played it.
I'm also looking forward to Potionomics when that comes out, as I haven't really seen anything similar to Recettear since

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I really should do another playthrough of this game, its been years since I played it.
I'm also looking forward to Potionomics when that comes out, as I haven't really seen anything similar to Recettear since
Yeah, while there are definitely games influenced by Recettear on some level, I think those other games tend to make the core game play too complicated or too reliant on a lot of different systems. With Recettear, it's actually pretty feasible to get through the bulk of the game without engaging much (if at all) with many of the systems, so it feels as though you have more choice with regard to progression. I've purchased and played a number of games in my search for another Recettear, but nothing else comes close to topping it for me.

Given the problems with the stuff that isn't surfaced very well in Recettear, I'd honestly almost like to see a SIMPLIFIED take on the game play formula to take the numbers out of the loop. I don't really think you need the numbers to have fun. Or you could change things up a bit by applying something resembling a classic turn-based RPG battle system to the shopkeeping aspects of the game. I just think the problem with similar games is that they take you out of the shop too much. The adventuring stuff in Recettear isn't even close to being the best part of the game.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
Frankly, I don't really like the adventuring part of the game. (I could, on the other hand, easily accidentally play the shop portion of the game well into the next morning and not even realize I've burned HOURS. Haha.)
Yeah, that's why moonlighter didn't land with me. It was more of a hard roguelite action game with a store part prefunctorily tacked on

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
lol for real

it feels like Recettear and Cherry Tree High Comedy Club on Steam started it all

I remember when it was an unholy struggle for anything that wasn't a big-name publisher to get onto Steam. Was cheering hard for games like those two to succeed.

Obviously there's good and bad things about how things have ended up on Steam (with the absolute funnel of content today), but I'm glad weird indies can succeed.

Rufio

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing i've found similar has been shop titans on android.

but nothing is as good as this.

hopefully potionomics will hit it well when it comes out.