• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
It's not 20% after one year in Australia OP. You get a 50% discount on your gains (if you've held that asset for greater than year ) which is added to your total taxable income for the year in which the gains were realised. You then get taxed as per the usual marginal income tax rate schedule. So if you had no other income except the capital gains and that gain was of $30k, you have to pay tax on an income of $15k, which would be nothing as it's within the tax free threshold.

Labor is looking to change this however, which I'm not a fan of. For housing sure (to curb speculative investment from raising house prices) but eliminating this for equity is going to hurt a lot of households and discourage participation in the stock market. Still never voting for Liberal though.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Any threads on money and finance make it glaringly obvious Era has some backwards views on wealth. Some of those replies on the first page lol...

40% tax on capital gains? Get the hell outta here. I'm with OP.

10-20% should be the max imo. Don't laugh at the guy just because he's smart enough to make money in alternative ways by invest/tradi g in the markets.
He's being laughed at because he doesn't want to pay taxes. Not because he's "smart" lol. "No taxation" people are anything but.

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
Why should someone who does nothing but invest and make passive income get to pay less taxes than folks who work for a living
"Backwards" is one hell of a euphemism. It's morally vacuous to an absurd degree. You would fit in well in the some of the Gulf countries.
Why is 40 too high? Why should 20 be the max? How are the views backwards?
This seems to boil down to "I want more money" without any argument
He's being laughed at because he doesn't want to pay taxes. Not because he's "smart" lol. "No taxation" people are anything but.

My answer to this is :

Income should be taxed after a certain level. Especially passive income.

Slapping a 40% tax rate on any and all CG is ridiculous. Certain governments actively discourage making money from passive income this way by hiking up tax rates on CG.

Separate levels of tax depending on the amount earned in a year is fine.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Basically if you're paying less on capital gains than you are on normal income, you shouldn't whine so much. And anyone who calls it "double taxation" is just economically illiterate.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Capital Gains in the US aren't that bad at all for the average trader

i2rknxw.png

PVmU5UK.png

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
How is it double taxation? It's just additional income

But the least trustworthy people in government are those who want to get rid of taxes.
I mean long-term, if people trust that their tax money is not being wasted, can see the benefits whether socially (their parents getting enough pension, decent healthcare, decent schools and childcare, etc) or in terms of infrastructure (fixed roads, public transport etc.) they are also more willing to pay taxes. In Scandinavia you pay (small) taxes even if you're poor, this makes people more invested in the system and feel like they're part of it.

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
We're mean to the self-made wealthy, we're mean to the people who expect to get free money just for already having money. Rich people just can't win.

OP, investing is still literally free money. Sorry that you're only getting 60-80% of what you're not earning.
It's not free money. You still carry the risk of losses.

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
We're mean to the self-made wealthy, we're mean to the people who expect to get free money just for already having money. Rich people just can't win.

OP, investing is still literally free money. Sorry that you're only getting 60-80% of what you're not earning.

"Free money"...

Smh...

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It's not 20% after one year in Australia OP. You get a 50% discount on your gains (if you've held that asset for greater than year ) which is added to your total taxable income for the year in which the gains were realised. You then get taxed as per the usual marginal income tax rate schedule. So if you had no other income except the capital gains and that gain was of $30k, you have to pay tax on an income of $15k, which would be nothing as it's within the tax free threshold.

Labor is looking to change this however, which I'm not a fan of. For housing sure (to curb speculative investment from raising house prices) but eliminating this for equity is going to hurt a lot of households and discourage participation in the stock market. Still never voting for Liberal though.
That's rather interesting tbh, I wonder how it affects those CEOs who get paid in stock. Well in comparison to American CEOs who make a killing off capital gains lol

"Free money"...

Smh...
Lmao, people just assume the market only makes you rich

OP
OP
nayriee

nayriee

Banned
Jan 26, 2019

Thank you for further clarifying :)

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Oh? So its two jobs now? Earlier people were saying its passive income and "you do nothing"
Not mutually exclusive, and even if it were, not what I said, so looking for a "gotcha" moment here is ridiculous.
Paying taxes there just makes sense. I don't see why working a job would mean you wouldn't pay capital gains tax.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
9330340_c1b27d15b0.jpg

"Double taxation" my ass
This is already covered by franking dividends in Australia which are only taxed at the rate difference between the company tax and individual income marginal tax. I think this is fair, as company profits essentially exist to compensate shareholders. This is especially true for a small business operating under a private company structure.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Capital gains and dividends should be taxed at least as much as earned (labor) income.

The idea that the rich will just sit on their money, choosing to earn 0% returns out of spite, is ridiculous.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Not in all cases. Certainly in the UK if you do not have a company pension, you have to make contributions via taxed salary to external pensions.

So it's situational.
Yeah, I was posting in regards to the U.S., should've clarified. I forgot this was an international discussion.

Last edited:

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Further proof that you don't even need to have a modicum of intelligence to have money. Jesus Christ.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
No. Not having capital gains tax is regressive. Any money you make should be taxed. Rich people make money with capital gains more than income relative to the poor.

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
We certainly need higher capital gains tax for those earning immoral amounts of money. Most of their wealth is held in assets. It should be drastically reduced for People below a particular income bracelet though.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
There are economists who recommended having no/low corporate income tax but instead high dividends/cap gains taxes.

That is, don't bother to tax Apple's profits directly, instead tax the money going to the individuals who own Apple.

You should definitely tax both.
Money will get shuffled around to avoid taxes.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It should be drastically reduced for People below a particular income bracelet though.

Most working Americans qualify for up to ~$22K of tax free investing every year through Roth IRAs and Roth 401ks. If you're investing more than that, you're probably not someone who needs a tax break.

You should definitely tax both.

Money will get shuffled around to avoid taxes.

Corporations with crafty accountants are already getting extremely low tax rates. Easier to directly withhold 38% of dividends and sold stock (capital) gains.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
We certainly need higher capital gains tax for those earning immoral amounts of money. Most of their wealth is held in assets. It should be drastically reduced for People below a particular income bracelet though.
For regular people there is things like investment isas here that are tax free and the amount you can have rolls over every tax year.

In practice it's just used by the middle class but I mean it is there.

Status
Not open for further replies.