• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
The grand prize for the Wifi bracket can be an Ethernet cable
fytz0048

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a pretty cool idea, but they probably wouldn't need to do it in the first place if they just had better net code.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
This is a good call for this mode specifically.

In general, there should be a WiFi filter in fighters. When you're playing them 1v1 in a peer-to-peer setting, WiFi makes for a bad experience. Way different than one player having bad ping in a multiplayer team game.
WiFi users who have no preference or don't care will still be able to play with similar users. If MK is anything to go by, it's not going to shrink the pool that much.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
That's pretty cool. I wish all 1v1 games that rely on p2p had some form of ping and consistency measurement.

I've done so much to get my connection as good as I can. I've switched ISP's and got fibre installed, new routers, wired cables across the house and bought ethernet adapters for consoles with no ports like the Switch and Wii U. Before that, when I was stuck with WiFi, I just refused to play most of the time because the experience wasn't great for myself and my opponent doesn't need to deal with that.

WiFi can certainly have moments where the lag feels low, but the inconsistency is what ruins it due to interference, and 2.4GHz is a magnet for that. Playing games where the input delay is constantly fluctuating due to WiFi is miserable.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
But but my Wifi connection is stronger than most players!
I can play any other multiplayer just fine!

Get fucked wifi warriors.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would rather fight an ethernet player on delay netcode than a wifi player on rollback.

This wifi player will be rolling back at varying lengths throughout the match and will cause the game to micropause when they spike. It's still awful.

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
What powerline adapters do people here use?
Ones from Netgear. Not sure the rating, at least 500 megabits tho but it is an old house. Still get 60 something megabits down and 5 to 6 up though.

Speed is slower than my wifi i guess but the performance is so much better. No more DCs in Splatoon 2, lower rate of bizarre shit happening in Mario Kart, and Sm4sh is naturally so much more stable.

I will take slower downloads in exchange for not ripping my hair out when I just want to play ny video games haha

leder

Oct 25, 2017
This is one of those things that you shouldn't listen to the internet about.

The added 4-5ms of latency from a wifi access point isn't going to matter when you're paired against someone half a world away that is routing through a ridiculous quantity of routing points.

A simple minimum ping rate would have been a much more elegant and worthwhile measure.
I disagree. ms latency isn't the only important metric for smooth online play.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
I disagree. ms latency isn't the only important metric for smooth online play.
ie, both stability and latency are both important, but the main problem with Wifi is stability not the added 4 or so ms delay over wired connections. Which makes the irony of Lyric's post about "the real issue" hilariously ironic:
This is just one of those things that internet warriors want to champion without actually paying attention to the real issue.

Oct 25, 2017
What powerline adapters do people here use?
I used T-link 200 or 300mbps (can't recall exactly) for a while and performance was very good but they'd stop working randomly and need to be reset every few days so I just bought a cable and did what had to be done.

I'd still recommend them as a concept, though perhaps not the exact model I bought.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
IMO most of the FGCs opinions on Wifi is based on experience with shitty Wifi modems from 20 years ago.

Oct 25, 2017
IMO most of the FGCs opinions on Wifi is based on experience with shitty Wifi modems from 20 years ago.

Wifi is less stable, less stability is bad for any form of netcode. What reason do you have for your opinion other than "I bet everyone is dumb except me!"

You could run a test today that shows wifi has greater jitter and packet loss than a cable on the same connection.

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
My internet comes through a 4G box which is connected to my pc via Ethernet. What kind of warrior does that make me?

Master Milk

Oct 25, 2017
What a insanely entitled take. Not everyone even has the option for great internet or wired connections, should they just be barred from every online game?

you know what's actually an entitled take? thinking you should be able to fuck someone else's gaming time up because your only options to play are on wifi

if that's your situation, that sucks, but how come others have to suffer through it?

i'm definitely on team fuck a wifi warrior

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
Sometimes I wonder how American politics could have gotten as crazy as it is now. Then I read this thread.

The amount of misinformation/bandwagoning and entitlement is insane.

Just so I'm not a coward, I'll post my 2 cents.

I play Ultimate Online via Wifi, could I get a wired connection, sure, but I don't. If Nintendo created online tournaments that required a wired connection and noticed if you had the adapter I think that would be TOTALLY FAIR, but also THE RIGHT THING to do. Is that unfortunate for people that can't play wired, sure, but I value the integrity of competition over anything else.

Also, Melee is my heart and soul, so I just don't care that much for Ultimate. (6 mil GSP and 3-2 usually at locals, so I'm not complete garbage at Ultimate)

FSP

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, United Kingdom
This is the only way to make a competitive mode work in a game with P2P netcode and with a tick rate of 16.6.

Yes, the netcode should be better. No, it isn't going to be made better. Yes, Capcom should try and get rid of the gatekeeping that currently exists de-facto due to the competive format - being forced to spend hundreds of dollars and sacrificing weekends away from home just to maybe get some points.

(Hi, my name is FSP and I went to about eighty percent of the EU SFV majors last year, I know the grind)

SF will only get bigger if the hypothetical godlike hidden players - some 14 year old, or a disabled person, or a carer, or even just someone who is quite poor - start getting proper shots, just like in bigger competitive games where the barrier to entry is extremely low.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I think my opinion on this basically comes down to...

Tournaments = Wired Only

Everything Else = Who cares

At this point games need to have in-built mechanics for cutting laggy matches short, and tool tips suggesting how to improve the situation to the player whose "fault" it is. It's no real surprise to me that online can be so frustrating when so many people probably don't know the bare essentials through no fault of their own.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
you know what's actually an entitled take? thinking you should be able to fuck someone else's gaming time up because your only options to play are on wifi

if that's your situation, that sucks, but how come others have to suffer through it?

Preach. WiFi peeps can stick to casual/friendly matches. I hope this catches on and becomes a standard in fighting games where you'll need a wired connection to participate in ranked matches.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

So they shouldn't be able to play ever? Yeah how fucking entitled is to want to play a fucking video game. Go fuck these people for thinking they can enjoy a hoby!

I also love that you and others have said multiple times "fuck wifi users" but I bet the second I give a "f you" back I'd be the one to get in trouble for some reason.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
speaking as someone who would want to move away from the "oh Christ that cable is running across the entire house" setup, how expensive do good powerline adapters tend to be?

just moved to a new place and my current setup is ugly as fuck and my fiancee might like actually kill me one of these days

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
So they shouldn't be able to play ever? Yeah how fucking entitled is to want to play a fucking video game. Go fuck these people for thinking they can enjoy a hoby!

Your experience may be lessened by having restrictions placed on the modes you can enjoy over wifi, but countless people's experiences are going to be improved in that trade off. If the only method in which you're able to enjoy your hobby hinders other people from enjoying that same hobby, perhaps it's fair that your enjoyment is restricted.

The majority of people here aren't saying you shouldn't be able to play at all, they're saying you shouldn't be able to play in highly competitive game modes if it's making the overall experience worse for others.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
Anti wire connections players are the flat earth/anti vaxxers of fighting games.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island

I would imagine a majority of players are connected by wifi

"suffer through it"
Jesus

don't spread this to the FPS community

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
I would imagine a majority of players are connected by wifi

"suffer through it"
Jesus

don't spread this to the FPS community

FPS games are nowhere near affected by this as much as fighting games. Wifi literally does not function much of the time. It's why every fighting game on switch is unplayable.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The majority of people here aren't saying you shouldn't be able to play at all, they're saying you shouldn't be able to play in highly competitive game modes if it's making the overall experience worse for others.
I'm not talking to those people. I'm talking to the ones who are saying WiFi users should be banned from all online playing. The ones saying "fuck people using WiFi."
FPS games are nowhere near affected by this as much as fighting games. Wifi literally does not function much of the time. It's why every fighting game on switch is unplayable.
Huh? Guess I must have hallucinated all those times I played Blazblue on it then.
Nope. Everyone pays for it the same way, the people who are actually letting the experience be playable should take priority over the people who cant be bothered to run an ethernet cable to a modem. Let us filter you out.
"can't be bothered" you can shut up with this bs right now.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anti wire connections players are the flat earth/anti vaxxers of fighting games.
First people sautés I was cheating, then I was told to get fucked, and now I'm being compared to fucking anti vaxxers, people who are actively killing people, all because I can't run a fucking wire connection.

You can piss off with this disingenuous bullshit.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
The net code they implemented is the bigger problem, even bigger than the wi-fi connection issues tbh.

SFV netcode is sometimes perfect, sometimes unplayable. It needs to be upgraded in the worst way, but WiFi warriors make it unplayable at times in almost all instances.

I also love that you and others have said multiple times "fuck wifi users" but I bet the second I give a "f you" back I'd be the one to get in trouble for some reason.

You can play other other wifi players AFAIC.

I'm not talking to those people. I'm talking to the ones who are saying WiFi users should be banned from all online playing. The ones saying "fuck people using WiFi."

Huh? Guess I must have hallucinated all those times I played Blazblue on it then.

"can't be bothered" you can shut up with this bs right now.

If your excuse is the modem is in mommy's room or something, I got nothing for you. Sucks to be you, but it doesn't have to suck for everyone else. After years of playing fighting games against people who don't run a line, I have no empathy for you.

SFV let's me see which users are on Wi-Fi already, it also lets me blacklist people for connection reasons. You wind up in the shadowzone anyway. Just let me play people who aren't fucking it up for everyone else from the start.

And all you have to do is google BlazBlue Switch netcode to find people rolling their eyes at people who don't have network adapters.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If your excuse is the modem is in mommy's room or something, I got nothing for you. Sucks to be you, but it doesn't have to suck for everyone else. After years of playing fighting games against people who don't run a line, I have no empathy for you.
You know what I think I've filled my quota of being talked down to from patronizing assholes for the day.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya

Both you and I have literally never heard a person go online on wifi intending to "fun someone else's gaming time up". Have some empathy.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
Both you and I have literally never heard a person go online on wifi intending to "fun someone else's gaming time up". Have some empathy.

Put this another way: Why is it okay that I'm allowed to play against only players I haven't blacklisted, in a specific region I've selected, with only 5 bar internet speeds but not okay to turn off WiFi connections? Especially in ranked play, where something is up for grabs?