• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Excellent move there Capcom

Wait, people are actually liking this?

Yeah, people on laggy connections really cause a ton of lag and can make the game pretty much unplayable. I'll deal with it in Ranked since I have no choice but for a real tourney with money on the line they definitely should ban wifi warriors hard to keep the matches fair and clean as possible

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Probably because sometime we do in fact want to play the games we paid for.
You can just not play with other people (or limited to other wifi people) unless you go hardwired. I'm referring specifically to fighting games where connection quality is waaay more important than other game genres where there are different methods and procedures in place to circumvent and mitigate the downsides of connections to wifi players.

Last edited:

DUNKLORD

Aug 13, 2019
Well, yeah! Fighting against wifi people really sucks. Fighting games are affected a LOT more by these types of delays than most other games.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
If it was for every mode it would be an issue, but for tournaments absolutely. Nothing is more frustrating than doing great and spikes out of nowhere ruin you. I'm sure it won't get rid of it 100 percent but whatever helps, it's a start.

Haven't played fighting games competitively, but aren't all actions for both players authoritative on the server side? So in a way, it wouldn't really matter if player 2 is lagging as hell if player 1 sees everything properly.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I dunno. Im gonna stand in the conspiracy theory line and say 9 outta ten times its bullshit. No doubt you save MS by going wired but it feels that the 'wireless is an abomination' line popped up generally with games with shit netcode using it as an excuse.

I get on someone who's used to no lag; ie someone who plays the tourney level back in SF4 with one frame links a would be frustrated, but I always thought this was way much of a scare then reality and an excuse of people excusing bad netcode.

If adding those extra MS makes your game unplayable online, you already had unplayable online

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I guess there would be a wifi defense force, wouldn't there. It makes a real difference, and this is a good rule that is hopefully properly enforced.

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017
I dunno. Im gonna stand in the conspiracy theory line and say 9 outta ten times its bullshit. No doubt you save MS by going wired but it feels that the 'wireless is an abomination' line popped up generally with games with shit netcode using it as an excuse.

I get on someone who's used to no lag; ie someone who plays the tourney level back in SF4 with one frame links a would be frustrated, but I always thought this was way much of a scare then reality and an excuse of people excusing bad netcode.

If adding those extra MS makes your game unplayable online, you already had unplayable online

Good netcode makes wifi more bearable (at least that's what devs who have implemented rollback have indicated, and I'm inclined to believe them. However, I've switched between wifi and wired in Xrd in the same house, on the same router/connection, and wifi basically doubled the lag (Xrd displays how much lag there is in realtime).

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017

The issue is fluctuation in ping:

0*hr1jp7YajJBZUXg1.

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad this thread continues the trend of fighting game threads having the most dumbfounding posts on this site

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, people are actually liking this?
Playing against Wifi connections in fighters often suck. As playing fighting games on the Vita often demonstrated to me. Maybe it'd have been better to just have the option to block wifi users not ban them outright, but I'd totally support this move for any fighter going forward.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Playing against Wifi connections in fighters often suck. As playing fighting games on the Vita often demonstrated to me. Maybe it'd have been better to just have the option to block wifi users not ban them outright, but I'd totally support this move for any fighter going forward.

I get the issue with portable systems because by their nature lord knows what quality public wifi people are playing them on just because they can. People hopping on free hotel wifi a hundred feet away and shit

That said, how do fighters that have generally solid rollback code work well over home wireless if its so defrimental?

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Oh is that all? Is there any other rules I should know about before I'm allowed to play a game I paid money for, on the online service I paid money for, on the internet I'm also paying for?
It's one mode. One where more is on the line than just points you trade back and forth, I assume. I don't see it as an issue.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
Playing with others on wifi in a fighting game is like lining up the winning headshot on a 1v1 fps and suddenly your mag is empty and the guy is behind you.

On SFV's rollback netcode, that favors the player with the worst connection, it's even worse.

This is a good move by the Capcops.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's one mode. One where more is on the line than just points you trade back and forth, I assume. I don't see it as an issue.
Again the person I'm talking too is talking about this being the standard. And it's pretty clear a lot of people in this thread wouldn't give a shit if al the modes were like this.

I just don't like the precident of being told. "No you're not allowed to play this."

If it stays just this mode, fine. It's more the attitude of some posters bugging me more then anything else.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh is that all? Is there any other rules I should know about before I'm allowed to play a game I paid money for, on the online service I paid money for, on the internet I'm also paying for?

This might be news to you, but yes there are a number of things that you should consider if you're going to play fighting games online.

Some of these things are generally taken for granted within the community, such as making an effort to ensure that you have a good quality connection if you are going to play online, but clearly there are those who are not aware that this is something that fighting game players value.

Whether you are paying money for these things or not is besides the point. People value high quality connections and games that provide good support for online play, unfortunately it seems like both of these things are in short supply at times.

If you don't currently have a good connection, and yes 'good' in this situation probably means having a wired connection, then you might want to think about what you can do to improve that situation by connecting your console or computer directly to your router with a wired connection.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno. When I do a ping test on my macbook wireless I don't get those crazy fluctuations. Added MS for sure, but last time I was worried some shit was wrong it was pretty consistent to google servers
There are a lot of variables with wifi - especially 2.4Ghz wi-fi. Interference from other devices, crosstalk/overlapping channels, etc. that can cause these fluctuations at any given time. Most people won't know or care about using 5Ghz, keeping interference to a minimum, isolating the channel etc etc.

And restricting to ping doesn't prevent a huge spike/dip once everything is underway.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

Lobbies/quickplay/unranked is totally fine to play with wifi although i'd prefer an option to be aware if i'm matching with them so I have the choice not to if the connection is bad. But for Ranked and especially tournaments where you're playing for money and livelihood you should not be able to play on a wifi connection no matter how good it is. You're prone to affect the other opponent's connection which ultimately works to your advantage which are unfair grounds. If you're playing competitively you'd be hardwired anyway.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Again the person I'm talking too is talking about this being the standard. And it's pretty clear a lot of people in this thread wouldn't give a shit if al the modes were like this.

I just don't like the precident of being told. "No you're not allowed to play this."

If it stays just this mode, fine. It's more the attitude of some posters bugging me more then anything else.
Ah, sorry. Obviously it should be limited to certain modes, but it would be nice if you could silo off players that way on your own. Choosing whether or not to play with wifi users, of which there are more than enough.

JJ!

Dec 18, 2017
This is good. But I find it funny how they're so strict with this and people having good connections....yet they don't even want to fix their own netcode

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017

Im fine with just being able to blacklist players with bad connections.
No need to ban anybody on the other modes.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This might be news to you, but yes there are a number of things that you should consider if you're going to play fighting games online.

Some of these things are generally taken for granted within the community, such as making an effort to ensure that you have a good quality connection if you are going to play online, but clearly there are those who are not aware that this is something that fighting game players value.

Whether you are paying money for these things or not is besides the point. People value high quality connections and games that provide good support for online play, unfortunately it seems like both of these things are in short supply at times.
You know I just want to try playing a game online when I get the urge but if me playing with Wi-Fi online is giving you that much grief....

then I should really start looking for some more fighters to play online.

I play these games to have fun, I'm fine with this for professional tournaments but if that's not good enough for you like a lot of posters here are wanting then no I'm not gonna stop playing just because you want me too.