• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't normally complain about something like this, but it's yet another small detail that supports the narrative that this will be an incredibly low-effort port.
Which now has me thinking - wasn't PS4/XB1 port of this also kind of bad? I seem to remember it having shimmering textures like it's on PS2.

*edit* Yep, this is some LOL-worthy level of texture treatment on the ground in PS4/XB1 versions:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-resident-evil-4-remastered-face-off
Also, their image comparison tool is a painful reminder that the GC/Wii version of the game still somehow has the best overall coloration. It's as if it had filmic color grading that was completely removed from all other versions made after.

Last edited:

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The lack of a title isn't the only issue; the image they chose is really ugly.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't normally complain about something like this, but it's yet another small detail that supports the narrative that this will be an incredibly low-effort port.
Which now has me thinking - wasn't PS4/XB1 port of this also kind of bad? I seem to remember it having shimmering textures like it's on PS2.

*edit* Yep, this is some LOL-worthy level of texture treatment on the ground in PS4/XB1 versions:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-resident-evil-4-remastered-face-off
Also, their image comparison tool is a painful reminder that the GC/Wii version of the game still somehow has the best overall coloration. It's as if had filmic color grading that was completely removed from all other versions made after.
I believe that those Gamecube/Wii specific effects etc were using Nintendo specific APIs that haven't been available on any other system (and I imagine that would include Switch).

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Send me your Switch plus 200 bucks and I'll hack it and replace the icon with this new one:

re2_remake_leon_pinup_by_mistfighter_dcxq4pl_pre.jpg

Yes I know it's RE2 Leon but it's a work in progress. Give me a month or two and I'll add a 4 somewhere.

5d3c3fe3ce3b4dfee5ef64a4801f6d56.gif

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
They might as well make it consistent with the newer release by using some of the REmake 2 assets. Like this
Z1uYqjx.jpg

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
I believe that those Gamecube/Wii specific effects etc were using Nintendo specific APIs that haven't been available on any other system (and I imagine that would include Switch).
Whatever the reason is, my semi-serious theory was that they've used PS2 version of the game for every port made after. Maybe not as a code base reuse - but as a visual reference.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
In a perfect world I'd want the Red and Black chainsaw guy logo as the icon, but I'd settle for the NA boxart or something with a damn title.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Who cares about an icon. Wheres the retail release?

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Send me your Switch plus 200 bucks and I'll hack it and replace the icon with this new one:

re2_remake_leon_pinup_by_mistfighter_dcxq4pl_pre.jpg

Yes I know it's RE2 Leon but it's a work in progress. Give me a month or two and I'll add a 4 somewhere.
... this is legit the first time in my life I've gotten turned on by a videogame picture

Sweet baby Jesus

Last edited:

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Is the rest of its problem the $30 price point? Because all I know about this version is its icon and its price, lol
I haven't followed much but what's the issue with the port other than the price?
No retail release in any region, as far as we know no inclusion of gyro aim support that was in the Wii version and the two Switch versions of Rev 1+2 ...

RE4 is still RE4 but Capcom is otherwise just fucking this one up on all fronts, from what it looks like.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What bothers me about the icon is it's without logo, but the fact it's the animation of the logo taken when it fades is. Why? Why would any designer go for such an effect? Either don't or go all the way, this is just terrible.

And as is always the case with these things, they've already made a better icon for the game's website. They could've just reused this.

PbLIZQn.png

It's better, but I'd give my right arm for having that PAL GameCube cover an the icon.

Edit:

YES!

mntorankusu

Nov 13, 2017
That's like if the port came out with no sound and the excuse was that the original game used Nintendo's proprietary audio codec. Ports always have to re-implement effects to work with different hardware. It's part of the process. The only thing stopping them from having the correct colors and effects was their own willingness to implement them correctly.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
That's like if the port came out with no sound and the excuse was that the original game used Nintendo's proprietary audio codec. Ports always have to re-implement effects to work with different hardware. It's part of the process. The only thing stopping them from having the correct colors and effects was their own willingness to implement them correctly.
They did reimplement them. But not identically.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
This thread is a journey through Neiteio's tormented soul. Ease his anguish, Capcom!

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
If the title is already listed there in text, why should it also be there on the icon? It shouldn't be there twice. I know other switch games do it, but that's Bad Design (tm). Source: I'm a designer.
Bad design is also not adhering to the design guidelines, which specifically state that all Switch icons should contain the name of the game in the icon.

Not surprised that Capcpom can't follow rules, but perhaps they were just afraid of misspelling the title.