• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Ah.

The Switch game.
3 years in and the only new retail Capcom games released on Switch are USF2 and MegaMan 11, everything else has been super old ports so I'm very pessimistic about them making a MH on Switch.
Wait and see I guess but the signs are not encouraging. And yes I'm aware about the MH NEXT rumors.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I just wanna play MH with my friends on 4 handheld devices in the same room again ;O;

Well, thankfully we still have a ton of Gen U to finish. Not like we can get together with everything going on now anyway

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be a mobile version that may also run on Switch but its going to be a chibi style and im going to fucking hate it.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Monster Hunter World is not coming to Switch, that I will comment on. Capcom themselves actually say that in the very interview this topic is about.

I didn't say mhw.

But I was confused initially because the quote says they have no plans for mhw on switch. So this is obviously a new mh game. Mhw is its own thing now. I'm not a big mh fan either but there likely can be two mh games that can coexist and not cannibalize sales from one another

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
The context behind the question is rooted in the fact the PSP MH games were well known for their popularity on middle school playgrounds. Kids would gather with their PSPs during recess and have play sessions.
Of course the PSP was popular with older audiences as well, but the middle school social element was the key to helping MHP3 become the best selling third party game in Japan ever on any platform. The 3DS games continued this to a large extent over multiple releases, but World was unable to recapture this key demographic (and hence its relatively lower sales in Japan). If there's a MH targeting middle school students, it needs to be on Switch. Mobile won't work because the experience won't be true to the series and the monetization would likely force it to be more like a gacha title rather than a traditional $60 game people pay for.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Tiny Brain: This is referring to a Switch game

Medium Brain: This is referring to a mobile game

Galaxy Brain: This is referring to a literal PSP game

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I didn't say mhw. Read my post
Ah, I guess I interpreted "Switch version" as "...version of MHW" rather than "New Switch MH game". But as far as a dedicated MH game for the Switch goes, we agree.

Id 100% be down for MHW2 for switch, PS4, Xbox, XSX, PS5, PC with full crossplay in 2022-23 but that's probably way too hopeful
Capcom's already going next-gen only with RE8, which is supposed to be out next year. I doubt they'd bother with PS4/XB1 for MH6/MHW2.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I won't lie: I would really love to see the thread for a new PSP game announcement, since it would have more graves in it than a Civil War memorial.

This made me chuckle.

No need for a MH game on switch. Unless they really bring their A game and make it high quality.

They will be.

Also, the justification for this is money. On what planet is there 'no need to release a game that's guaranteed to sell millions of units'?

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
3DS LIVES

A brand new monhun game about 10 years since it launched. What a beast of a handheld.

Oct 27, 2017
When Capcom is already cutting off current-gen from RE8 before the next-gen consoles are a year old they're not going to support PS4/XB1 with MHW 2 lol
Capcom's already going next-gen only with RE8, which is supposed to be out next year. I doubt they'd bother with PS4/XB1 for MH6/MHW2.
You're both probably right but this is the company that made MH3 for Wii, and milked psp/3Ds for several entries. And if they made it for switch and next gen there's be little point to not make it fully crossgen. But yeah idk if it's likely

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Guess those folks demanding a Switch exclusive MH game are getting their wish.

I want a game on Switch because that's likely the only way I'm going to play as time consuming as this, but I don't care if it's exclusive. Honestly the very best case scenario to me would be something multi-platform developed with Switch as lead (ensuring it plays perfectly), with cross-platform play and a multitude of visual enhancements elsewhere.

Have Capcom brought their A-Game for any Switch release yet? I can only recall solid ports, but nothing outstanding and new.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
You're both probably right but this is the company that made MH3 for Wii, and milked psp/3Ds for several entries. And if they made it for switch and next gen there's be little point to not make it fully crossgen. But yeah idk if it's likely
The fact that they're already cutting off current-gen as soon as they are kinda shows that it's different this time.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD

I honestly think the likelihood is that we probably won't see "World 2" released until 2023. By that point, especially, it would seem safe to presume that cross-gen isn't likely going to be a factor.

Switch, and its inevitable successor, will probably continue to get its own line of games that play to those platforms' strengths. So, no need to worry about it "holding World 2 back", either.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my guess of MH divide between Switch/Mobile and Consoles/PC is coming true, makes senses too since the big money for them is on consoles now. They can do cheap AA games or ports to Switch

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Well you could ask a lot of third party publisher that are not releasing their big games on switch that. There is always a reason to exclude so gamers from the equation.

I don't think you understand what I'm getting at. There's plenty of reasons why a company my not port games to Switch, but you reasoning of 'there's no point' isn't a solid argument. That's an easy 4-5 million + copies sold, if not more. Whether Capcom sees that as something they want to pursue is another story, but fundamentally, it wouldn't be a waste of time to make a MH game for Switch at all.

GooZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a mobile or switch game. Maybe PS4/PC with the old style gameplay. Any new MH game is good either way.

I honestly think the likelihood is that we probably won't see "World 2" released until 2023. By that point, especially, it would seem safe to presume that cross-gen isn't likely going to be a factor.

Switch, and its inevitable successor, will probably continue to get its own line of games that play to those platforms' strengths. So, no need to worry about it "holding World 2 back", either.
Yeah, 2023 has been my safe bet for the sixth gen game. Judging by what we know about Capcom's schedule with announced stuff and what's been rumored, it seems like they've already got their PS5/XSEX stuff figured out through 2022 with:

-2021: Resident Evil 8 and Street Fighter 6
-2022: Pragmata and Resident Evil 4

I don't know what could possibly be paired with MH6/W2, but I do think we'll get that at a minimum. Meanwhile, the Portable team will likely stay on Nintendo hardware and any stuff that's not targeting big specs will release on Switch and/or Switch 2, like anything Mega Man or, god forbid, Ace Attorney.

Fedorito

Mar 13, 2019
I don't think you understand what I'm getting at. There's plenty of reasons why a company my not port games to Switch, but you reasoning of 'there's no point' isn't a solid argument. That's an easy 4-5 million + copies sold, if not more. Whether Capcom sees that as something they want to pursue is another story, but fundamentally, it wouldn't be a waste of time to make a MH game for Switch at all.
So is it safe to assume this is a Switch game? Seems to have been rumored since 2017 or so, but no confirmation or leaks of any sort. I remember you mentioned they were working on an mh for switch as far back as 2017. Then David Gibson said to expect an announcement back in March 2018. Then the anniversary tease of "NEXT". Then nothing solid after that.

Ganransu

Nov 21, 2017
People in this thread focusing so hard on the middle/high school part for some reasons...

Personally I'm mildly but happily surprised by the news, I was expecting Capcom to be making world 2 since world was such a huge success. Let's hope they keep as much of the QOL improvement as they can, at the very least, I don't want to play paintball ever again... That's the thing holding me back from going back to the Switch game.

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
Yeah I'm starting to believe that MH Switch is truly a thing. I just wish that there were otherwordly hints towards it's name.

People in this thread focusing so hard on the middle/high school part for some reasons...

Personally I'm mildly but happily surprised by the news, I was expecting Capcom to be making world 2 since world was such a huge success. Let's hope they keep as much of the QOL improvement as they can, at the very least, I don't want to play paintball ever again... That's the thing holding me back from going back to the Switch game.
Honestly, I can't really imagine that much that World introduced that the Switch couldn't pull off from a design standpoint on its specs. It won't look as nice as World does at its best, but everything from a QOL perspective all the way up to the "zoneless" maps aren't really anything that the Switch is incapable of doing.

Sesha

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, 2023 has been my safe bet for the sixth gen game. Judging by what we know about Capcom's schedule with announced stuff and what's been rumored, it seems like they've already got their PS5/XSEX stuff figured out through 2022 with:

-2021: Resident Evil 8 and Street Fighter 6
-2022: Pragmata and Resident Evil 4

I don't know what could possibly be paired with MH6/W2, but I do think we'll get that at a minimum. Meanwhile, the Portable team will likely stay on Nintendo hardware and any stuff that's not targeting big specs will release on Switch and/or Switch 2, like anything Mega Man or, god forbid, Ace Attorney.

Dragon's Dogma 2 or Devil May Cry 6 are possible candidates for 2023. DMC5 took Itsuno about 4.5 years. He's probably working on DD2, since he's talked about it a bunch in conjuction with DMC5, and outright said he didn't wanna do DMC6 right now. But a DMC6 shouldn't take much longer than 4-5 years, even with a potential new team.

Or it's another RE, remake or otherwise.

Dec 23, 2017
I get it.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
I never cared for World so not porting World to Switch is great news. That means a high chance of a new entry in the classic MH style. Capcom, please make it so.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
I'm tempted to talk about this, I've literally had what this is confirmed by like a dozen different people at this point, but I'm not much of a MH fan and I feel it's not really my place to say what this is, others who know and are bigger fans haven't said anything so I won't either. All I'll say is be patient for a bit longer.

Monster Hunter World is not coming to Switch, that I will comment on. Capcom themselves actually say that in the very interview this topic is about.
Uh, how long are we talking here? Please I need to know. :D

Guess those folks demanding a Switch exclusive MH game are getting their wish.
Unless they pull a Monster Hunter Diary 2. Please don't do this Capcom.

Finally Vita Monster Hunter

LETS GOOOO
You're way late to that party:
81AxL%2BLRFdL._SL1500_.jpg