• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
Who of these two had the better library on the SNES?

Capcom
Breath of Fire
Breath of Fire II
Capcom's Soccer Shootout
Captain Commando
Demon's Crest
Disney's Aladdin
Disney's Bonkers
Disney's Goof Troop
Final Fight
Final Fight 2
Final Fight 3
Final Fight Guy
The Great Circus Mystery Starring Mickey & Minnie
The King of Dragons
Knights of the Round
Magic Sword
The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse
Marvel Super Heroes: War of the Gems
Mega Man 7
Mega Man Soccer
Mega Man X
Mega Man X2
Mega Man X3
Saturday Night Slam Masters
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Street Fighter II: The World Warrior
Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
Super Buster Bros./Super Pang
Super Ghouls'n Ghosts
Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers
U.N. Squadron
X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse

Konami
The Adventures of Batman & Robin
Animaniacs
Axelay
Batman Returns
Biker Mice from Mars
Castlevania: Dracula X/Vampire's Kiss
Contra III: The Alien Wars/Super Probotector: Alien Rebels
Gradius III
International Superstar Soccer
International Superstar Soccer Deluxe
The Legend of the Mystical Ninja
Lethal Enforcers
NBA Give 'n Go
Parodius: Non-Sense Fantasy
Pop'n TwinBee
Pop'n TwinBee: Rainbow Bell Adventures
Sparkster
Sunset Riders
Super Castlevania IV
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters
Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose
Tiny Toon Adventures: Wacky Sports Challenge/Wild and Wacky Sports

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
This is way too hard tbh. I give a slight edge to Capcom because of my countless hours on Final Fight, Megaman games and Street Fighter. However, the best game between the two is Turtles in Time. It is probably my favorite beat em up to date.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
It's capcom.

Breath of Fire II, Demon's Crest, Mickey & Donald - Magical Adventure 3, Mega Man X1/2/3, Street Fighter Alpha 2 & UN Squadron are my jaaam.

I love Axelay, Pop'n TwinBee, Turtles in Time & Tournament Fighter as well, but on the SNES, the Capcom stuff does it for me more.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Konami was good, but Capcom had a potentially GOAT lineup for a 3rd party on a single system.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
It's tighter than you think because Konami left some pretty great games in Japan with Rainbow Bell Adventures and the other Goemon games and stuff like that.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Capcom has Aladdin, The Great Circus Mystery, and Mega Man X. Having any one of these would be enough, but they have all three. I'd say they've even got a better library than Nintendo on the SNES.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I am not a fan of beat-em-ups, JRPGs, or fighting games, and I didn't like Mega Man nearly as much when it went 16-bit.

However, I do love shooters and platformers, and I think Castlevania was at its best in the 16-bit era (with SCIV and Rondo being tied as my favorite).

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Konami was good, but any handful of games from Capcom's library justified the cost of the console.

MrChocolate

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Super Castlevania is a game on its own league, and Dracula X is a great game too. ISS was superb for it's time. Contra 3 still is amazing. Then you have Biker Mice From Mars which is an amazing gem and Sunset Riders.
On the other hand you have, Megaman X (2 and 3), Demon Crest, Breath of Fire 2, War of the Gems and Aladdin. Plus SF2.

...I can't decide. MMX is one of my favourite games of the 2D era, but so is Super Castlevania. I played hundred of hours of Biker Mice From Mars, but so I did with SF2. Contra 3 might be unbeatable, but War of the Gems and Aladdin are so fucking full of soul that I want to replay those games right now.

I thought this was going to be easier, so... well done OP.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom on the SNES and Konami on the Genesis but that was due to having a very very split library of games for them both back when I was younger. Looking at it now though? Very Tough call. That generation was very very good for both companies and let them establish a hell of a pedigree across that generation's entirety. Heck that was back when Sunsoft was still kicking ass with stuff like the Genesis Batman game.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even have to spend a single second thinking about it,

Mega Man 7 and X alone make Capcom the winner here.

If Rondo of Blood was on the SNES it would make me consider Konami as a winner.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Probably Capcom, but both were amazing.

Imagine if each dev put out that many great games in a single generation these days.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Capcom wins it for me simply because of X1-3.

Easily my favorite run of games on a new franchise in all of gaming.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Konami's best games of that era weren't even on SNES, so it's an autowin for Capcom.

The best Castlevanias and Contras were not on SNES in the 16-bit era don't @ me y'all.

Oct 29, 2017
The Mega Man X and Street Fighter games pretty much give it to Capcom by default for me.

That said, Konami's output back then was phenomenal as well.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Capcom has the better all-around line-up, but Konami's games blew me away more than Capcom's. Contra 3 and Super Castlevania were mind-blowing in their day. They really took advantage of the SNES' tech.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Capcom. konami's 16-bit output is better on Sega Genesis (Rocket Knight, Hard Corps, Bloodlines) and TurboGrafx (Rondo, the better shmup ports) imho

Konami's best games of that era weren't even on SNES, so it's an autowin for Capcom.

The best Castlevanias and Contras were not on SNES in the 16-bit era don't @ me y'all.

my man

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I lean Capcom, but like 80% of my SNES games were made by either Nintendo, Capcom or Konami (with Square filling out the rest). Just a ridiculously good era for gaming.

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
Some Konami games missing from OT, like the Goemon and Parodius sequels, Puzzle Dama, their Super Famicom Baseball games and also Tokimeki Memorial, although that one is unplayable if you don't know japanese and it's not fan translated
Also, Capcom Soccer Shootout was just called that on localization, in Japan the game is not related to Capcom, the same way as games like Super Soccer or Super Tennis aren't really Nintendo games
Edit: looking better at the list, it seems you didn't include any Japan only game, which is confusing

Last edited:

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Konami came out of the gate swinging with entries like Super Castlevania IV, but i felt like as the generation wore on Capcom as a bit of a late bloomer but once they were there, they just kept pumping out content. Their arguably biggest Killer app for Nintendo was Street Fighter 2 and they kept going after that.

Both were great on the platform but i'd say Capcom slightly edges Konami out from the spread of quality content

Apr 19, 2018
Konami for me. Contra III, The Legend of the Mystical Ninja, Turtles In Time, and Gokujo Parodius are all god-tier SNES titles enough to put them over the top.

Last edited:

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
Capcom. konami's 16-bit output is better on Sega Genesis (Rocket Knight, Hard Corps, Bloodlines) and TurboGrafx (Rondo, the better shmup ports) imho
I think one may argue they had a few higher highs on those consoles than on SNES, however Konami also released like 3 or 4 times more games on SNES than in the others, counting the japanese line up too of course, and most if not all of them are good so, idk. It would have been cool if Konami released more games on Genesis, or didn't half assed their Tournament Fighters, Sunset Riders or Double Dribble too

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
For me it's Konami because their games resonated with me much more than Capcom's output. Both had a very solid library, such an amazing era.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is tough call for SNES-only. Having the Street Fighter series at home was a huge deal back then but I don't often go back to the SNES ports now.

Like others have said, Konami gains an advantage when other 16-bit consoles are included. Most people here haven't played Snatcher but it's excellent.

TheeFanatic

Oct 26, 2017
Easily Capcom. Streetfighter doesn't even to be on the list for Capcom to still be better.

Cap Commando, the Final Fights and Knights of the Round were great

Sep 14, 2019
Out of the one Capcom game I've played from the SNES (Megaman X) and the one Konami game I've played from the SNES (Super Castlevania IV), it's Capcom by far.

Super Castlevania IV is good, but in a lot of ways it feels like a step back from Castlevania III (specifically the Japanese version), and Rondo of Blood was much better that generation.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom without a doubt. And honestly you could list all those Konami games and just have MMX1 on Capcom's list and my opinion would still be the same, its such an amazing game. But then you have Demon's Crest, Final Fight Tough (finally a good SFC FF game), Street Fighter 2 (Turbo), SFZ2, X-men/Marvel Super Heroes, Area 88, Super GnG, the rest of the Mega Man games... One of my favourite periods for Capcom releases.