• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously though. Everything they do now turns to gold. Why wouldn't they revive this franchise? They're going to run out of REs to re-release and they've already done a DMC collection. It's either DC or bring back Onimusha, and that's probably bad timing given Sekiro and GoT.

A Dino Crisis Remake on the level of 2 and 3 would do gangbusters! Horror + Dinosaurs? ummmmmmmmmmm yea

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia.
Congrats to Capcom on the excellent numbers!

Resident Evil is such a strange one in terms of the PS4/XB1 ports.

Everyone has such disdain for RE6, yet the port has sold more then the RE4/RE5 ones.

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
I'm glad to see SFV doing well. It has gotten me through quite a few "grim" periods since I bought it in the summer of 2017.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sfv the little fighter that could. You did it 🥲

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
I hate the confusion caused by Capcom not combing SKUs until 2017 and doesn't retroactively do so. A lot of previous Capcom titles sold much better than they appear because of this. RE5 and RE6 for example have cracked 10m awhile ago, but because they're not combined I see a lot of people, of no fault of their own really, think RE7 is now the best selling RE and even Capcom's second best selling game of all time. Max has even been saying that on stream a lot recently, and it simply is not the case.

It's a very real possibility, as RE7 has been showing impressive legs, and they're likely about to get another big boost due to its direct sequel coming up soon and that usually boosts sales. But it simply isn't there yet.
Yup. All these miss information is getting annoying.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
No.

I disagree. It was unlike previous games in a lot of key ways. It has 3 playable characters in the main campaign and introed a completely novel style of gameplay in the form of V (+ a novel approach to weapons in the form of the Devil Breaker pick-up system), streamlined the gameplay loop by dropping key items, puzzle solving and elaborate platforming almost entirely, dropped the Metroidvania pretenses of its RE roots in favor of a more linear progression than previous games (basically like DmC and Bayonetta), dropped useable items, has alternate selectable missions with M7 and 13, introduced the cameo system, drastically changed the art style from stylized anime-inspired to photorealism, has more dynamic level geometry and setpieces, has a prologue mission for a total of 21 (another break from 3 and 4). So I'd say it did a lot to keep things fresh.

Would be much too drastic, since both of those games engaged in complete genre shifts. And the numbers show it doesn't need to do that. Unlike the two examples, wheres sales had been stagnating.

I disagree. While I appreciated that the game had three playable heroes and a quasi online co-op option, I feel like all that didn't really amount to much in the end. DMC5 honestly felt like a very safe sequel that was more interested in fan service and offering a sense of closure for the classic DMC series. Many of its gameplay innovations all felt very lateral, as in nothing groundbreaking. That's not a bad thing per se, but it still felt like the game was stuck in its ways. It was a solid entry, still. I really liked the combat, and I think the visual style was really great, but seeing how the game was put together on a structural level was disappointing. I actually enjoyed that the game had influences from the RE series, with its sort of metroidvania design in the original. When it started to ditch that aspect, fulling embracing its combat encounters, then it became more difficult to connect with the setting of the games. For DMC5, it's really tough to get a frame of reference for the locations throughout. Like, I couldn't tell you a thing about Red Grave City at all. They might as well have swapped it out with DMC3's city, it was that uninteresting. This is also felt on a structural level too. The game also has blandest level design of the series, I thought the enemy encounters were largely rote, and the slimmed down puzzle design just made the out of combat experience feel like repetitive busy -- even when it was trying to do something different, like during Dante's missions.

These issues I bring up may not seem like they matter for a DMC game, but when a series has been leaning so heavily on a combat system that's been largely the same since its debut, I would hope that they would try to experiment more with other aspects of the game. I adore the combat of the series, and I actually manage to play decently on DMD modes, but even then, it can wear thin after some time. When I mentioned God of War or RE4, I'm not really saying that the game needs to be exactly like how those turned out. I just want to see a similar break from conventions. Honestly, I would love for the DMC series to move closer to an experience that's like Nier Automata. I think that game handled the union of character action, world exploration, and out of combat experiences pretty damn well. I would like to play a core DMC game that took its world and out of combat experience seriously for once. The only one that managed to do it really well was Ninja Theory's DmC.

I do think that DMC5 is arguably peak DMC on a technical and mechanical level, but I still feel the series needs to change. I actually think its success gives it a great opportunity to make some bold changes. If people were on board for a safe DMC sequel, then maybe the game can find even greater success with a grander vision.

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree. While I appreciated that the game had three playable heroes and a quasi online co-op option, I feel like all that didn't really amount to much in the end. DMC5 honestly felt like a very safe sequel that was more interested in fan service and offering a sense of closure for the classic DMC series. Many of its gameplay innovations all felt very lateral, as in nothing groundbreaking. That's not a bad thing per se, but it still felt like the game was stuck in its ways. It was a solid entry, still. I really liked the combat, and I think the visual style was really great, but seeing how the game was put together on a structural level was disappointing. I actually enjoyed that the game had influences from the RE series, with its sort of metroidvania design in the original. When it started to ditch that aspect, fulling embracing its combat encounters, then it became more difficult to connect with the setting of the games. For DMC5, it's really tough to get a frame of reference for the locations throughout. Like, I couldn't tell you a thing about Red Grave City at all. They might as well have swapped it out with DMC3's city, it was that uninteresting. This is also felt on a structural level too. The game also has blandest level design of the series, I thought the enemy encounters were largely rote, and the slimmed down puzzle design just made the out of combat experience feel like repetitive busy -- even when it was trying to do something different, like during Dante's missions.

These issues I bring up may not seem like they matter for a DMC game, but when a series has been leaning so heavily on a combat system that's been largely the same since its debut, I would hope that they would try to experiment more with other aspects of the game. I adore the combat of the series, and I actually manage to play decently on DMD modes, but even then, it can wear thin after some time. When I mentioned God of War or RE4, I'm not really saying that the game needs to be exactly like how those turned out. I just want to see a similar break from conventions. Honestly, I would love for the DMC series to move closer to an experience that's like Nier Automata. I think that game handled the union of character action, world exploration, and out of combat experiences pretty damn well. I would like to play a core DMC game that took its world and out of combat experience seriously for once. The only one that managed to do it really well was Ninja Theory's DmC.

I do think that DMC5 is arguably peak DMC on a technical and mechanical level, but I still feel the series needs to change. I actually think its success gives it a great opportunity to make some bold changes. If people were on board for a safe DMC sequel, then maybe the game can find even greater success with a grander vision.

Idk, if anything the out of combat aspects of DmC actively made it a worse game...like the forced walking/jogging sections that make the game a slog on replays.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished my sixth or more playthrough of 7 today. Good shit and excited for 8.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
How long does it take the industry to realise that players WANT more dinosaurs?
Capcom please do something with Dino Crisis..

Also very happy for Capcom and especially SFV doing well.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Looking how well Monster Hunter Generation Ultimate sold I'm actually quite optimistic on Monster Hunter Rise.

I predict 10million+ sales

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017

Their financials along with reviews shows they made the correct call. I'm glad the game was safe, another dud would have possibly killed the franchise. Also combine that with the fact that we are probably not going to get another game in the series for at least another 6 years. Yeah they game was exactly what we needed.

That Dude John

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda neat how simply porting certain games up a console gen got them another 1-2mil ez.

Oct 25, 2017
A reminder that the update increases are milestone based. So if some numbers dont make sense for the sales period, just know that they just as likely sold much less than 100k to push it past a 100k threshold.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
you should add "NSW" in some of these brackets. unless switch sales are not included for some reason?

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
SFV keeps on climbing.
the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-climbing-concept-art.jpg.optimal.jpg

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
Nice to see RE2R and RE7 doing so well. 8 seems to be moving a bit toward being more action heavy and crazy again, but I hope these numbers make them want to make the future games more like RE2R.

As someone who didn't really get into the series until RE4, RE2R became my favorite RE game, after it being 4 for years.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I thought RE5 crossed the 11 million units iirc, i'm confused.
It did. The sales are split between the SKUs: Vanilla PS3/360, Gold PS3/360, PS4/XBO (don't think we know Steam numbers). Same thing for RE6, and every other Capcom game prior to 2017, when they finally started combining all SKUs on new titles.

Sep 7, 2020
*Frantically scrolls to find Capcom Vs Series in hopes of seeing big numbers to drive development of next Capcom vs Game*

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
World sitting there laughing, talk about a perfectly timed release.

The Fallen

Oct 27, 2017
If-Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 was still supported it would have easily sold 3 million + copies! The problem with the marvel games is that capcom does not much control over the franchise!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see SFV continue to sell. Its still probably my favourite fighter of last gen (well... that or KI) and I'm really excited to see what they have to show off for the game next week.