• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is this a tease for Classic Resident Evil Ports?

• Yes

Votes: 198 38.8%
  • No

Votes: 312 61.2%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
I'd like them. I enjoyed the remakes but 2 and 3 both didn't really hit the level of the originals like Remake 1 did. I cannot for whatever reason use the analogs for these games on the DualShock 3 and would like them on the Xbox controller or just modern controllers. I can't explain it other than the DS3 is hot ass
The key thing is to use the d pad with the classic games. Analog makes it way harder than necessary.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Would like to see ports with upscaled textures of RE2, 3, and...wait for it...Code Veronica. That's probably the most notable title lacking major ports over the years. I might be wrong but it's the only mainline game not on PC, either.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
Would like to see ports with upscaled textures of RE2, 3, and...wait for it...Code Veronica. That's probably the most notable title lacking major ports over the years. I might be wrong but it's the only mainline game not on PC, either.

I guess CV's AWOL on PC, but it got rereleased on Gamecube and the PS3/Xbox 360 (the 360 port is still playable via backwards compatibility). So it's been ported more recently than the older RE games.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
What's silly about if? If you are the sort of person who wants to play the original versions of re 1,2,3 then by this point you would have emulated them

And I think RE3 is a bad game

Hoping that a company doesn't port their classic games to new consoles (which makes it easier for new generation of consumers to play them -- it isn't just about old fans) simply because you don't personally like them is dumb.

It literally has no negative impact on you. You're not forced to play them and it doesn't stop new games from being created/developed.

So, yeah. What you said is silly.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine the old PS1 games would look pretty terrible on modern HDTVs. I hope they are at least going to try and use an AI to upscale the backgrounds to 1080P or 4K.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine the old PS1 games would look pretty terrible on modern HDTVs. I hope they are at least going to try and use an AI to upscale the backgrounds to 1080P or 4K.

I've found those upscaling things quite hit or miss. The candlewax look they tend to have just doesn't look right. But as long as the original versions are available it doesn't matter much.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Only tangentially related, but for the 25th anniversary it would be neat if Capcom at least released next-gen patches or next-gen SKUs of all the currently available RE games, even if it's just simple resolution and framerate bumps. Did 4, 5, and 6 ever get patches for PS4Pro and One X? If not, 4K60 should be trivial for those games, and definitely reachable for 7 and the remakes. It'd also be interesting if they could get some AI upscaling going on to get REMake 1 up to 4K if the backgrounds in it and 0 aren't already 4K for the PC versions.

Oh, and go ahead and throw everything together into a "Resident Evil Anthology" collection like they did on PSN back on the PS3.
I guess CV's AWOL on PC, but it got rereleased on Gamecube and the PS3/Xbox 360 (the 360 port is still playable via backwards compatibility). So it's been ported more recently than the older RE games.
Yeah CV is the one that's gotten the least attention which is odd because it'd technically be the most straightforward to do. It doesn't use pre-rendered backgrounds and Capcom already put a lot of work into the PS3/360 port which brought it all the way over to MTFramework. At the very least a quick n' dirty PC port would be appreciated.
That's the assumption. Tech-wise the best existing comparison might be the recent ports of FFVIII and IX. I don't know if those used the AI upscaling but from a production and pricing level they're probably similar to what we'd get with new ports of the PS1 RE games.
I've found those upscaling things quite hit or miss. The candlewax look they tend to have just doesn't look right. But as long as the original versions are available it doesn't matter much.
I imagine actual big developers like Capcom wouldn't rely on AI upscaling alone. Maybe it would make some things easier for them, maybe they'd use it selectively in combination with more granular techniques.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that it's 2021 and PSX games have been MIA for 7 years is still frustrating. Publishers have not been re-releasing them, I can think of only a few PSX games to get new versions, so it's not like we're getting upscaled or updated versions instead. If people could buy or use their old copies of at least the RE1-3 it would really be nice.

Of course playing games you already own isn't making people money.

Samus95

Jun 18, 2020
The fact that RE1-2-3 are on the top of Gog and Steam as request should be enough for capcom to do their work, making money

Square already showed that with psx final fantasy

Nov 13, 2017
Can they do a better job than the Seamless HD projects tho?

Came here to say this. I usually prefer to just play a game on a console than set it up on PC, but Seamless 2 and 3 are unbelievable. I don't have faith that we'll get anything close to that if ports are released by Capcom. I'd love to be wrong, though.

PS
Seamless is incredibly easy to set up. Download it, find the ISO (easily), and play.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
The fact that RE1-2-3 are on the top of Gog and Steam as request should be enough for capcom to do their work, making money

Square already showed that with psx final fantasy

Yeah, it is kind of a weird thing, especially for a company that loves re-releasing their shit all the time lol. I think I also read somewhere that RE2 and 3 were also some of the most emulated game on Dolphin or something? Not sure if that data would be available and I'm just mixing it up with something else, but hell, the REMake and Zero HD remasters did well, too, so there is an audience there. It's just strange really.

Jul 27, 2020
'get ready to heal your friends online with the RE Item Box App! Simply tap on all the herbs to save your friend who is playing the game on another console, and youre running the items on your phone! Online play amirite guys??"

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
'get ready to heal your friends online with the RE Item Box App! Simply tap on all the herbs to save your friend who is playing the game on another console, and youre running the items on your phone! Online play amirite guys??"
Do I have the option to steal items from other players item boxes to screw them over just for laughs? If so, I'm totally sold.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
Okay... so all of the teases have been inventory screens that are off in some ways, right?

Like, I dunno if this is me reading too much into things, but does anyone have a list of the changes? I might be way off base/wishful thinking that some sort of clue is hidden there.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Okay... so all of the teases have been inventory screens that are off in some ways, right?

Like, I dunno if this is me reading too much into things, but does anyone have a list of the changes? I might be way off base/wishful thinking that some sort of clue is hidden there.
These will have been custom made by marketing.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020

I think the only ones that's been off was 3 and 5. 1, 2 and 4 looked normal, at least to me? I can't say 100% for sure, though, someone else may be more knowledgable.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
These will have been custom made by marketing.
Thats sorta what I meant. Like 110% it probably is just someone told a guy in marketing to whip up 7 fake inventory screens that would look fine on Twitter. But it being created by the ad department, rather than direct captures means it is possible something was changed deliberately, rather than it just being deemed "good enough" by marketing.

Admittedly any hidden meaning would be "be sure to drink your ovaltine" sequel marketing.

I think the only ones that's been off was 3 and 5. 1, 2 and 4 looked normal, at least to me? I can't say 100% for sure, though, someone else may be more knowledgable.
Gotcha. I thought there was something wrong with all of them. Guess I'm just barking up the wrong tree.

Oct 26, 2017
I know the RE8 inventory screen had been seen before but I can't remember if that was a Capcom leak or an official reveal, can someone remind me?

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I know the RE8 inventory screen had been seen before but I can't remember if that was a Capcom leak or an official reveal, can someone remind me?

It was briefly shown as far as I remember in another video released just after the reveal trailer.
resident_evil_village_inventory_grab_1.jpg

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was briefly shown as far as I remember in another video released just after the reveal trailer.
resident_evil_village_inventory_grab_1.jpg

Are those... weapon mod slots? I know it was said the game was originally Revelations 3 and that's the series that has weapon mods, but I didn't expect them to keep them in. That's pretty awesome.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Are those... weapon mod slots? I know it was said the game was originally Revelations 3 and that's the series that has weapon mods, but I didn't expect them to keep them in. That's pretty awesome.

If my memory serves, it was not actually originally Rev3. It started as mainline, was considered to change to a spin-off and then eventually settled back into being mainline when it tested well. At least I think that was the original rumor, though it got a tad confusing.

It could be a remnant of that changeover, potentially though

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
Hope they release a patch for RE7 to PS5. Would love another go on RE7 with graphics upgraded to next gen

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020
That's what I'm expecting. Current gen updates for RE7, RE2R, and RE3R. RE8 release date. Multiplayer shooter beta.

That'd be an awesome series of updates. I'm almost done with my current RE7 playthrough, but I'd 100% play through it again for the other trophies if there was a current-gen update.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Crossing my fingers for DLC expansions for either RE2R or RE3R. Not going to hold my breath though.
I'd love a DLC expansion for 3 which gives me several areas from the original that were cut, and integrated back into the story seemlessly. Yeah, I know it'll never happen but still... I miss that Clocktower area so darn much.

But really, I'd just like a patch for 7 for the PS5 that improves the VR mode - much like how Blood and Truth got some improvements recently.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020

Gradon

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Probably less of a multiplayer game per say and just Village's multi. May be standalone like Resistance but I imagine in the context of the showcase it'll be revealed with Village.

Yeah it could be Village's multiplayer mode, was that in the Capcom leaks too? I've been avoiding them once people started talking spoilers. 🙄

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Yeah it could be Village's multiplayer mode, was that in the Capcom leaks too? I've been avoiding them once people started talking spoilers. 🙄

Kind of. It's not super clear from my understanding, but it seems they are going to launch a multiplayer mode with Village that will potentially have some kind of tie into all future RE titles, sort of like Warzone is for COD. But I don't know if we really have much actual details on it at this point and how much of that is speculation.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Updates for the remakes would be great. It's also an incredible long shot but I'd love an update to RE1 remake that adds new Jill.

Gradon

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Kind of. It's not super clear from my understanding, but it seems they are going to launch a multiplayer mode with Village that will potentially have some kind of tie into all future RE titles, sort of like Warzone is for COD. But I don't know if we really have much actual details on it at this point and how much of that is speculation.

Oh that is SUPER interesting. I hope that's the case.