• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is this a tease for Classic Resident Evil Ports?

• Yes

Votes: 198 38.8%
  • No

Votes: 312 61.2%

• Total voters

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
CRT-Royale is one the most, if not the most, respected CRT shaders on RetroArch. Maybe PSX RE games don't do it justice? Or my screenshots just suck. At least on my OLED games look phenomenal.

Here are some 4K screenshots of the RE2 Dreamcast version (works perfectly with rumble and all that), emulated on Flycast core on Series X (CRT-Royale doesn't work with OpenGL driver which is used on DC emulation so I chose CRT-Lottes shader):

17.1.2021_16.06.43-23y7jic.png

17.1.2021_16.06.52-zsjsjqy.png

17.1.2021_16.06.28-u4zykjt.png

These screenshots look far better than the first ones posted.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the idea is if they are teasing a classic games collection they would continue using imagery from those games. If it's just a simple countdown using the simple metric of 1-7 then it's doubtful it was ever a tease of any kind

I mean, they can do a countdown and tease something at the same time. It doesn't have to be one or the other. It's the series 25th anniversary so I don't see why they wouldn't show the whole series, classic collection or not.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I mean, they can do a countdown and tease something at the same time. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

Yeah, that's true, but one is probably more likely than the other in that case since there's no other indication they are planning any kind of collection. We'll obviously only know for sure Thursday

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
You can already play any of the PSX games with RetroArch on Series S/X with CRT filters that make the games look awesome on a 4K TV. Hell, you can probably emulate the DC versions too with Flycast core. I tried to play RE3 GameCube version with Dolphin core but the game didn't work that well. Could be my settings, tho.

Here are a few quick 4K screenshots I just took from the PSX version of RE2 with CRT-Royale shader (you can see all the CRT shader details when zooming in):

17.1.2021_14.23.04-1r5oj68.png

17.1.2021_14.23.25-cnkejxp.png

17.1.2021_14.22.32-vc8fj66.png

If CRT-Royale is not your thing, there are plenty of other shaders to choose from.
What core are you using? Which of the crt royale shaders is this? I see several and I cant get it to look as good as your screenshots

Last edited:

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
Welp. It is probably exactly what we all thought it might be. Just a "Count Up" countdown to Thursday. Idk, maybe Capcom does really have it up their sleeves, because I would go nuts for it. If not? Maybe they will the swell of hype people generated and would consider doing it 🤷‍♂️

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This is one of those times where I don't enjoy being proven right.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
You can already play any of the PSX games with RetroArch on Series S/X with CRT filters that make the games look awesome on a 4K TV. Hell, you can probably emulate the DC versions too with Flycast core. I tried to play RE3 GameCube version with Dolphin core but the game didn't work that well. Could be my settings, tho.

Here are a few quick 4K screenshots I just took from the PSX version of RE2 with CRT-Royale shader (you can see all the CRT shader details when zooming in):

17.1.2021_14.23.04-1r5oj68.png

17.1.2021_14.23.25-cnkejxp.png

17.1.2021_14.22.32-vc8fj66.png

If CRT-Royale is not your thing, there are plenty of other shaders to choose from.
What issues did you had with Dolphin ?

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again I'll just say before Jaw locks this thread that this means nothing and that there's still a chance we get something. They've teased stuff outside of RE8 next week, so who knows.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
CV being a spinoff reinforced! ;D

But seriously, I would likely want to check out RE2 and 3 classic again, so would be great if they did re-releases on those.

Scarf

Oct 27, 2017
What core are you using? Which of the crt royale shaders is this? I see several and I cant get it to look as good as your screenshots

Are you using RetroArch on Xbox? I usually use Beetle PSX core on Xbox but atm it's not working so I use Duckstation. Doesn't really matter which core you choose.

I use the default CRT-Royale shader called "crt-royale.something" (choose "slang" shaders, not "gl" shaders). Make sure you've updated the shaders through "Online Updater" first and set the video driver to "d3d11". CRT-Royale doesn't work with "gl" drivers (OpenGL). Manually quit RetroArch so it saves the configuration.

CRT-Royale is made for 1440p and 4K resolutions so it scales the best in those resolutions. You can configure the shader in the "Shader Parameters" setting. All I do is I remove the CRT borders it comes with by lowering the correct values to zero.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
The audio wasn't working properly. I think the Dolphin core on RetroArch is not up to date so I don't really mess with it.
The issue is not the core. Dolphin team disabled the DMA hack. So the music is stuttering or not playing correctly anymore. It has been broken since 5.0-500. you need to use a build before that. It's mentioned in the dolphin wiki. I experienced that as well.

Urishizu

Dead Drop Studios Founder
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
A classic collection can still include RE1-3, 4-6, CVX & 7. I choose to keep the belief alive and no one can convince me otherwise.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
A classic collection can still include RE1-3, 4-6, CVX & 7. I choose to keep the belief alive and no one can convince me otherwise.

There's no way they would have a collection that has all of that in one package. Maybe two packages, like Classic and Modern collection or something. They wouldn't even put all the Mega Man games in one collection lol

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Really Re3 classic remaster should have been included in Re3 remake to increase its value...

Urishizu

Dead Drop Studios Founder
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
There's no way they would have a collection that has all of that in one package. Maybe two packages, like Classic and Modern collection or something. They wouldn't even put all the Mega Man games in one collection lol

Right, exactly. And then this gives them the opportunity to also do the Dino Crisis Classic Collection. It all makes sense when you really think about it. I am glad we are all in agreement in this thread that this is all still coming.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
CV is already available on PS4 (as PS2 BC game) and Xbox One (as a 360 BC title), so i'm not that excited for a re-release, tho I find it funny both releases are differents lol

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Ya'll are aware you can buy Code Veronica and play it on the PS5 right now?

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
CV has never had a number, so it wouldn't really make much sense in this context. I guess technically Village doesn't either, but in every trailer they emphasized the VIII in the title
This countup also misses RE0 at the start so yeah its just numbered entries that work for a count like this.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
As much as I would love for a Classic Collection to happen, I really doubt it's in the cards right now. I'm pretty sure that it's a combination of Capcom believing the games just look too old to appeal to people today even with enhancements, and that they believe the REmakes are a good enough replacement for them on modern systems (couldn't disagree more if that's the case). I would love for it to happen more than anything. I absolutely love the original games as they are and would love to be able to play them on a modern system, but I don't think it's happening. :(

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
I'm CV agnostic having never actually played it. I think I'd hate it for the intentional campiness and sharkjumping the story does, and for the characters it introduces.

But even so, it's wild that the better version of the game is trapped on PS3 on the Sony side.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
I really hope not. I don't think they hold up at all and the remakes of 1 & 2 addressed that very well

And RE 3 - the remake was bad and the original was bad.

Also another rerelease of old RE while ignoring Dino Crusis is just cruel at this point

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
So realistically they'll show RE8 , maybe Revelations 3, maybe something about the movie/another CG movie.

To be fair I don't rule them out re-releasing classic RE1-3, because that's still easy money, but honestly I feel there's more interesting stuff they could re-release, like say Onimusha 2 or a Megaman Legends collection or other stuff that never got as broad a release.

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope not. I don't think they hold up at all and the remakes of 1 & 2 addressed that very well

And RE 3 - the remake was bad and the original was bad.

Also another rerelease of old RE while ignoring Dino Crusis is just cruel at this point
Why not skip them if you don't like them?

Also when did they rerelease RE1-3?

Last time was PS1 rom dumps on PS3. Over a decade ago.

Mana Latte

Banned
Jul 6, 2019
I'd like them. I enjoyed the remakes but 2 and 3 both didn't really hit the level of the originals like Remake 1 did. I cannot for whatever reason use the analogs for these games on the DualShock 3 and would like them on the Xbox controller or just modern controllers. I can't explain it other than the DS3 is hot ass