• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is this a tease for Classic Resident Evil Ports?

• Yes

Votes: 198 38.8%
  • No

Votes: 312 61.2%

• Total voters

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After the remakes I don't have any interest in the old ports tbh.

LdSe

Dec 16, 2020
Looks like a reference/play on "save the date" as most mentioned, but it'd be cool if they re-release the not so accessible old games.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
I could see them announcing a Resident Evil 1-3 Classic as a pre-order bonus for Resident Evil Village. I'm not going to read too much into it though.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
After the remakes I don't have any interest in the old ports tbh.
I can see myself buying them to have them because I have a magpie-like fascination with shiny things, but since I couldn't stand REmake for more than an hour last time I tried it, I can't imagine playing them. Just can't stand fixed cameras any more.

Urishizu

Dead Drop Studios Founder
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I know that the logic behind the Ink Ribbon referring to 'Save the Date' makes more sense, but I don't care. I'm going to believe with my full soul that we're about to see modern ports of RE1, 2 (DC ver), 3, Outbreak File #1 and Outbreak File #2. No one can convince me otherwise.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I could see them announcing a Resident Evil 1-3 Classic as a pre-order bonus for Resident Evil Village. I'm not going to read too much into it though.

Yeah, if they do this, there is no way they are going to give them away in a pre-order bonus lol, especially all three of them. They know that old school fans will pay for them, hell on GOG just the cleaned up PC ports are like constantly at the top of the wishlists and shit. They could be in a big like super collector's edition or something, similar to what they did with RE6, but not a chance they just give that away for free

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
I would love to have an official, modern ports of RE1-3 on PC. The original PC release of RE3 is still playable nowadays; I haven't tried the RE2 one, and I remember having problems with RE1 even on Windows XP (e.g. had to use a third party program to throttle the CPU).

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
It would be cool if they did like final fantasy 8 remastered and just update the character models but leave everything else as is.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Please bring the classic games to Steam and GOG. Some of them already had PC versions made in the past; just rerelease them.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
I would be super happy to see the OG PS1 RE 1,2,3 coming to PS4/PS5 though I don't see it happening given that they remade those games completely not too long ago.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
I would love to have an official, modern ports of RE1-3 on PC. The original PC release of RE3 is still playable nowadays; I haven't tried the RE2 one, and I remember having problems with RE1 even on Windows XP (e.g. had to use a third party program to throttle the CPU).

There are patches to make them run better on modern computers with a few QoL features thrown in:

appleofeden.de-doc.com

Classic REbirth

Make retro-gaming great again.

RE3 is still in the works since, apparently, the code is a nightmare to work with.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Of course they aren't. And the tragic thing is that with the resources they wasted on Resistence they could probably have done at least one of them, right? Maybe even more than one?

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
I want the following:

- Full quality FMVs
- 180° turn for all three games
- Additional control schemes
- Skippable FMVs and door animations.
- The EX files from the N64 version of RE2.

I know some would love to have upscaled backgrounds, but I find them to be a bit hit and miss in terms of quality.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
Do we know that Capcom was as lackadaisical with source code and assets as Square was back then? They could have the original renders and assets available to aid in remasters.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
By the way, I really hope they release the PS1 games. I mean, Capcom has already ported Mega Man X4 to X6 to PC and modern systems, they know already a working emulator to use.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah they are way too different from each other. Even 1 is worth playing even though REmake brings back most of the original and expands on it.

Hopefully Capcom listen to people like us who like the original games.

My series head-canon has replaced RE1 with REmake. I consider it a step for step, "minds eye" improvement in just about every way that actually expands on the original story rather than take shit away. That said, I'd definitely still give RE1 a go as part of a collection like this for nostalgia's sake!

RE2 and RE3 aren't so easily replaced by the remakes, and indeed can be credibly argued to still be better in many ways. Particularly 3.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Do we know that Capcom was as lackadaisical with source code and assets as Square was back then? They could have the original renders and assets available to aid in remasters.

My personal opinion is that there's a good chance they have the source code, seeing how many times the games have been ported to different systems, one as recently as 2006 (Resident Evil DS).

The original render files though.... Meeeeeeeeeeeh. That might be a long shot.

Zach19593

Dec 10, 2019
They never even ported Dino Crisis to the EU PSN. At this time, I'll take that over classic Resident Evil games (which of course are important, but they've been remade at least).

But, to answer the OP: yes, I think they're teasing classic RE ports.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
In my heart, this:

RE1-3
- Machine upscaled backgrounds and FMVs
- 5.1 remastered audio
- All content from all versions

Code Veronica
- 5.1 remastered audio
- Remastered character models
- Raytracing

Outbreak 1+2
- 5.1 remastered audio
- Remastered character models
- Raytracing

LFG

In my head:

- Untouched PS1 ROM's, £60 each pay me lol

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
I really dont think porting them would be that much work.
There are emulators for ps1 (even legal for comercial use ones in the industry i asume, maybe with licensing), and it would probably sell enough to justify the cost. All current consoles are fast enough to run them, So why not?

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Wish they would put Analog controls as an option, won't happen but would be nice especially in Code Veronica since they seem to be skipping it on the remake department unfortunately.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I think the Dreamcast version has it (Nightmare mode if that's what you're talking about)
It's both the Dreamcast version and the PC version. There's "hard" based on the Japanese version, which has more logical enemy placement, and "nightmare" based on the western version, which has auto aim taken out (at least in the Japanese DC release).

The former is probably the best version of the game, but I'd like to see it on a platform other than Dreamcast. Especially when the DC controller makes it easy to accidentally spin in circles.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My series head-canon has replaced RE1 with REmake. I consider it a step for step, "minds eye" improvement in just about every way that actually expands on the original story rather than take shit away. That said, I'd definitely still give RE1 a go as part of a collection like this for nostalgia's sake!

RE2 and RE3 aren't so easily replaced by the remakes, and indeed can be credibly argued to still be better in many ways. Particularly 3.
Yeah REmake is a game that pretty much "replaced" the first game. Aside from some minor stuff it is not that big of a deal if you play one and not the other. It is still worth playing both as they both play with you expectations (the dog hallway is a cool early example). If they rerelease the original I would love if it was based on Deadly Silence as that version was really fun and added a lot of QoL improvements.

With REmake 2 and 3 it is a much bigger difference. Both of them are missing some cool moments from the originals and while still worth playing, I cconsider them a whole new game. 3 in particular because it barely remade anything. It was more of a reimagining that had the same story. 2 was much closer but still a bit different.

For this reason Capcom should re-release the classic RE games. They are very different and still worth playing.

In fact, if Capcom wanted to milk it further, I would love an expanded version of REmake 2 and 3 that adds more content thst never returned. Alongside the original games rereleases of course.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Yeah REmake is a game that pretty much "replaced" the first game. Aside from some minor stuff it is not that big of a deal if you play one and not the other. It is still worth playing both as they both play with you expectations (the dog hallway is a cool early example). If they rerelease the original I would love if it was based on Deadly Silence as that version was really fun and added a lot of QoL improvements.

With REmake 2 and 3 it is a much bigger difference. Both of them are missing some cool moments from the originals and while still worth playing, I cconsider them a whole new game. 3 in particular because it barely remade anything. It was more of a reimagining that had the same story. 2 was much closer but still a bit different.

For this reason Capcom should re-release the classic RE games. They are very different and still worth playing.

In fact, if Capcom wanted to milk it further, I would love an expanded version of REmake 2 and 3 that adds more content thst never returned. Alongside the original games rereleases of course.
I would pay for a RE3 ReRemake if they this time decided to make a full game based on the original and just not a glorified DLC with botched segments

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would pay for a RE3 ReRemake if they this time decided to make a full game based on the original and just not a glorified DLC with botched segments
Same here. I was so disappointed with it and I am at the point that I don't mind paying full price again for a remake that actually remakes the original. That's how disappointed and sad I am.