• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lunatious

Dec 18, 2018
Next gen Dragon's Dogma 2 on an upgraded RE Engine is the dream. Itsuno essentially confirming it's gonna happen fills me with hope. Really hope they add co-op, too. DMC5's multiplayer seems like it could be a good test run for the kind of stuff you could do with multiplayer in a Dragon's Dogma (beyond the scope of DDO).

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
So this mean Dragons Dogma 2 would be on next gen... Fuck, this is good.
Unfortunately it'll probably take a lot of time, maybe 4 or 5 years, since the game is probably not even in pre production yet.

Chronos

Oct 27, 2017
Start the Hype train. Choo Choo !

Dragons Dogma 2 on next gen sounds amazing. If they can address some of the shortcomings with writing and exploration, it could be GOTG.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
Oh god this would totally make my day if confirmed. I loved Dragon's Dogma so much. I still do a playthrough once a year or so.

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
I'd love for Itsuno to come back and finish the Rival Schools story since he's the series co-creator, but at this point, what Capcom franchise hasn't he said he'd like to work on at this point? It seems every three months there's some new interview or tweet from him expressing interest in developing a follow up to all of the series the company currently has shelved.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm incredibly happy they went with DCMV... the results so far seem gorgeous in the gameplay AND visual department!

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
I mean - yes and no.
I'm playing DD online and to be honest most players just Rush through the experience or go straight for the loot.

I guess what I'm saying is that you always end up either being left behind or going ahead to ear experience or loot first.

There is no sense of unity and slow paced exploration.

But I suppose having it be optional would be great- but this comes with the cost of investing more resources into the sequel.

So I don't know, I'm conflicted about coop online I guess.

Fair enough, I actually enjoyed the pawn system but my friend wouldnt play the game SP and would only play it co-op, Meaning i wouldn't even be able to use his avatar and vice versa. So yeah a workaround that would be ideal. Would do my head in just randoms running straight for the loot etc.

I heard DMC5 has some co-op aspect but no idea what that entails.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
They shouldn't have a hard time making DD2, at least not as hard as making the first one was

. Monster Hunter gameplay + RPG class, stat system and character creation + Good story and quest design + old Dungeon and Dragons aesthetic = DD2.

The gameplay loop should be the hardest part and they nailed it on MHW. Keep the pawn system but add multiplayer.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Dragons Dogma 2 is going to be so amazing you guys. Think about it, the first entry in a new Capcom series is always basically a test run and then the sequel totally blows the doors off. For example

Mega Man 2
Street Fighter 2
Marvel vs Capcom 2
Resident Evil 2
Devil May Cry 3

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
If Capcom do the combo of Resi 7, MHW, REmake 2, DMC5, and then REmake 3 and Dragon's Dogma 2, that would be a thing of legend. Yes please, Capcom. My wallet is already open and ready.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
First is the operative word in that sentence. Oh my God, can you all imagine DD2 with all the lessons learned from MHW, RDR2, DMC5, BotW, TW3, BB and HZD? Couple that with the graphics provided by the RE Engine on next gen consoles! Shit is going to be amazing. Capcom is truly back!

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
The fact he was able to say this means DD2 must not be in any greenlit form.
So i'm guessing, he's wanting to see how DMC5 does before making a plan on what to do next.
If he insists on being the main director for both series, both franchises will have sequels every 6 years. That's if Itsuno decides to only ever work on these two franchises going forward.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
The fact he was able to say this means DD2 must not be in any greenlit form.
So i'm guessing, he's wanting to see how DMC5 does before making a plan on what to do next.
If he insists on being the main director for both series, both franchises will have sequels every 6 years. That's if Itsuno decides to only ever work on these two franchises going forward.

Honestly, as the guy who sat in this interview and listened to this answer, I firmly believe the opposite. I don't think he would've raised this fact if he didn't know DD2 was what he was now going to now that DMC5 is done. Everything about the phrasing - saying, moments apart, that DMC5 is now done, and that he had ideas for DD2 years ago, and also saying the original is the game he's most proud of.

I mean, one thing is clear: they have their next game greenlit. "I'm already gearing up for my next project. We can't say what it is, but we're looking forward to getting to work on it." Given this was said in the same breath as talking about DD2, I'm personally inferring it's almost certainly that. It'd be bad PR to give this answer otherwise, as it'd just be an unfair tease. And in the past, say a year ago at E3, Itsuno was answering DD2 questions by saying "I know there's a fanbase, please ask Capcom" and the like - this is a very different tone of answer.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Honestly, as the guy who sat in this interview and listened to this answer, I firmly believe the opposite. I don't think he would've raised this fact if he didn't know DD2 was what he was now going to now that DMC5 is done. Everything about the phrasing - saying, moments apart, that DMC5 is now done, and that he had ideas for DD2 years ago, and also saying the original is the game he's most proud of.

I mean, one thing is clear: they have their next game greenlit. "I'm already gearing up for my next project. We can't say what it is, but we're looking forward to getting to work on it." Given this was said in the same breath as talking about DD2, I'm personally inferring it's almost certainly that. It'd be bad PR to give this answer otherwise, as it'd just be an unfair tease. And in the past, say a year ago at E3, Itsuno was answering DD2 questions by saying "I know there's a fanbase, please ask Capcom" and the like - this is a very different tone of answer.

You do have the best knowledge on this. Just from my perspective, it's crazy to me that he'd be able to essentially say out-loud what will be happening next for him and his team. Even if not directly, this is definitely very outside the realm on how Capcom staff usually talk about any upcoming projects. Typically things never go past "I would like to do that in the future if possible" or "Perhaps i'll be able to get the chance, if enough fans wish". Though it could just be part of Itsuno's charm and character.

Turbo Tu-Tone

Oct 27, 2017
Hurry the fuck up, Itsuno. I wanna go to back to Mercedes' kingdom to speak to her father and wife her ass up properly. She deserves better than to live in a fisherman's hut.

Allyougame

Oct 25, 2017
Devil May Cry 5 now, followed by Dragon's Dogma 2 on next-gen hardware, sounds fantastic.

Last edited:

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
I am both happy that a proper DMC is on it's way and ... now with this info ... fucking raging insane with the cyclical fury of Grigori that i have to wait even a moment longer for a proper sequel to the fuckin GREATEST ACTION RPG EVER MADE

But this serving as proof that DD2 is in the pipeline will have to suffice. FUCK. YES. FAM THE WIND IS PUSHING MEEEEE

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing Dragon's Dogma properly for the first time right now and oh my god it's so good.

Literally all Dragon's Dogma 2 needs is co-op. It feels like the game was built around it but doesn't have it.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
You do have the best knowledge on this. Just from my perspective, it's crazy to me that he'd be able to essentially say out-loud what will be happening next for him and his team. Even if not directly, this is definitely very outside the realm on how Capcom staff usually talk about any upcoming projects. Typically things never go past "I would like to do that in the future if possible" or "Perhaps i'll be able to get the chance, if enough fans wish". Though it could just be part of Itsuno's charm and character.

I just don't think Capcom is as hardcore "KEEP THE SECRETS" as a lot of Japanese devs (like a Square Enix or whoever). Like, if DD2 is coming, this is exactly the thing I'd want to let out as part of a PR plan. It slowly builds hype. Fans begin to get excited.

This is a company that teased and teased RE2 in similar ways in interviews and little nods, right through the RE7 promotional cycle... and then announced they were doing it in, like, a Facebook post (or something like that - where did they post the 'We do it?' thing?) The important thing about RE2, and the thing that I think Capcom has realized/nailed, is that it's OK to say stuff like this 'cos the fans aren't dumb.

By saying out loud they were doing RE2 remake they didn't kill the excitement of that actual reveal trailer at E3. If anything, they enhanced it: fans speculated for years, and waited and waited, and so when it was announced there was an explosion of excitement. Now, sure, they could've got that explosion of excitement through secrecy then an announcement, but this is where it's smart. For one, they avoid leaks. It can't be leaked that they're doing RE2 Remake, because they've revealed the fact themselves (this, a note taken from the movie production playbook. With hundreds of devs and many contractors outside of the sealed offices of developers working on games now, is it really viable to try to keep projects 100% secret any more? Why not just say what you're doing?)

But two, they were able to coast for a few years without fans going WHERE THE FUCK IS IT (see FF7 Remake) and then release the game less than 9 months after properly 'revealing' it. This also means you can have a really air-tight, clearly planned promotional plan. Like, here's point A, the official reveal, here's the release, months later - let's do this at Gamescom, this at TGS, a press preview here, an influencer hands-on there. (DMC clearly had a plan like this too, where it was E3 reveal, TGS Dante hands-on, pre-launch V hands-on - a clear arc from announce to release that doesn't exhaust with either too much or too little information). Again, contrast this to a FF7 situation: drips and drabs here and there, suddenly gameplay footage then nothing for years, then a key render and nothing for years. Now, FF7 can pull all this back when they are ready to show stuff (this year, hopefully), but imo makes a difficult battle more difficult.

EA/BioWare's done this a lot as well, to their credit. Like, after Mass Effect 3 shipped and once the ending dust had settled they very quickly outlined what was happening - that the core team would make a new IP (Anthem) and a new team would make a new Mass Effect. Likewise, they never made a secret that they had more Dragon Age coming after Inquisition... but then announced them all later. BioWare hit a lot of problems with these games, but their management of the fans and their expectations has generally been masterful, imo.

Anyway... I'm not saying I expect a DD2 announcement to be handled the same as RE2 - director and producer choice clearly plays a lot into that and with DMC5 Itsuno went for surprise (though he was also still openly saying "new game incoming" on twitter in the run up to E3, just not what it was), but what I am saying is that Capcom of recent years has been pretty happy to think outside the box and be a little more transparent.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I just don't think Capcom is as hardcore "KEEP THE SECRETS" as a lot of Japanese devs (like a Square Enix or whoever). Like, if DD2 is coming, this is exactly the thing I'd want to let out as part of a PR plan. It slowly builds hype. Fans begin to get excited.

This is a company that teased and teased RE2 in similar ways in interviews and little nods, right through the RE7 promotional cycle... and then announced they were doing it in, like, a Facebook post (or something like that - where did they post the 'We do it?' thing?) The important thing about RE2, and the thing that I think Capcom has realized/nailed, is that it's OK to say stuff like this 'cos the fans aren't dumb.

By saying out loud they were doing RE2 remake they didn't kill the excitement of that actual reveal trailer at E3. If anything, they enhanced it: fans speculated for years, and waited and waited, and so when it was announced there was an explosion of excitement. Now, sure, they could've got that explosion of excitement through secrecy then an announcement, but this is where it's smart. For one, they avoid leaks. It can't be leaked that they're doing RE2 Remake, because they've revealed the fact themselves (this, a note taken from the movie production playbook. With hundreds of devs and many contractors outside of the sealed offices of developers working on games now, is it really viable to try to keep projects 100% secret any more? Why not just say what you're doing?)

But two, they were able to coast for a few years without fans going WHERE THE FUCK IS IT (see FF7 Remake) and then release the game less than 9 months after properly 'revealing' it. This also means you can have a really air-tight, clearly planned promotional plan. Like, here's point A, the official reveal, here's the release, months later - let's do this at Gamescom, this at TGS, a press preview here, an influencer hands-on there. Again, contrast this to a FF7 situation: drips and drabs here and there, suddenly gameplay footage then nothing for years, then a key render and nothing for years. Now, FF7 can pull all this back when they are ready to show stuff (this year, hopefully), but imo makes a difficult battle more difficult.

EA/BioWare's done this a lot as well, to their credit. Like, after Mass Effect 3 shipped and once the ending dust had settled they very quickly outlined what was happening - that the core team would make a new IP (Anthem) and a new team would make a new Mass Effect. Likewise, they never made a secret that they had more Dragon Age coming after Inquisition... but then announced them all later. BioWare hit a lot of problems with these games, but their management of the fans and their expectations has generally been masterful, imo.

Anyway... I'm not saying I expect a DD2 announcement to be handled the same as RE2 - director and producer choice clearly plays a lot into that and with DMC5 Itsuno went for surprise (though he was also still openly saying "new game incoming" on twitter in the run up to E3, just not what it was), but what I am saying is that Capcom of recent years has been pretty happy to think outside the box and be a little more transparent.
That's honestly what I like about Capcom these days. They give just enough transparency to properly level expectations while still maintaining the hype.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Good stuff. Of course, I'm definitely glad DMC5 was chosen first, but I'll be more than happy for DD2 to come next...

Unless he decides to do Rival Schools first, THEN DD2. :D

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Can we get Itsuno back into the fighting game division? Can we save them too?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

But two, they were able to coast for a few years without fans going WHERE THE FUCK IS IT (see FF7 Remake) and then release the game less than 9 months after properly 'revealing' it. This also means you can have a really air-tight, clearly planned promotional plan. Like, here's point A, the official reveal, here's the release, months later - let's do this at Gamescom, this at TGS, a press preview here, an influencer hands-on there. (DMC clearly had a plan like this too, where it was E3 reveal, TGS Dante hands-on, pre-launch V hands-on - a clear arc from announce to release that doesn't exhaust with either too much or too little information). Again, contrast this to a FF7 situation: drips and drabs here and there, suddenly gameplay footage then nothing for years, then a key render and nothing for years. Now, FF7 can pull all this back when they are ready to show stuff (this year, hopefully), but imo makes a difficult battle more difficult.

This is why you're my favorite verafied member. You didn't even need to write all of this to reply to me, but you did anyway. I definitely agree with what you're saying and thinking about it now, it does fit pretty nicely with how new capcom has been doing things. Now i'm curious what other things they might've teased right under our noses.

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
I've rebought the first game on every console - and will 3ple dip on switch... Sadly I've got no interest in DMC so its a big bummer to learn that.

I would have loved to play Dragon's dogma online in the meantime, but i guess japanese developers really dont want to translate their mmorpgs (i'm looking at you too DQ X)

I really disappointed we have to wait more years for the sequel, but well... at least its coming right ?

Grewitch

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm so happy at this news, my penis is crying - no, wait - it's cum, I've just come (metaphorically).

Capcom are doing it right. Winning straight into next gen.

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone keeps mentiong RE Engine but we haven't seen it handle a true open world game yet? Or be used by every team...let's not get ahead of ourselves.

I could see them still sticking with MT Framework like they did for Monster Hunter: World.

Hopefully next-gen is what it'll take for the dream game to be realized, but I'm not convinced the IP is strong enough for the investment it would likely require.