• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't Code Veronica a mainline game and bigger than the previous titles? Code Veronica side pretty much means mainline title in my mind. Hopefully it's that with RE4 style gameplay.

100%. Code Veronica is the fourth mainline game. They only skipped the numbering apparently because "they wanted to keep the numbered chronology on the PlayStation systems". It's the proper sequel to Resident Evil 2. I see RE3 as more of a side title than CV.

And, yeah in terms of 'size', the game's about twice as long as RE3: Nemesis.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
100%. Code Veronica is the fourth mainline game. They only skipped the numbering apparently because "they wanted to keep the numbered chronology on the PlayStation systems". It's the proper sequel to Resident Evil 2. I see RE3 as more of a side title than CV.

That's been a long debunked urban legend about the game btw. That has never been true.

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
I'm more excited to hear details about this game than Village (I'll play that but Ethan and Chris aren't my cup of tea).

Hopefully we see the return of Jill at last! Barry or Sheva would be nice too.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I don't get the love for Sheva. She's always been boring as a sack of bricks and her design never did anything for me either. I guess people are glad she's a minority and female but at this point I'd prefer they just made another black woman character more interesting than Sheva.

Then again a second appearance for RE characters has usually done them wonders. So maybe they could make Sheva cool. I'd gladly eat my own words if she showed up again and was cooler than she was in RE5.

She felt so tacked on in RE5. Like she wasn't even part of the original script and was added late in production just to make the game co-op. Which I think was actually the case IIRC

Dec 21, 2020
Also, I asked a poster above but got no reply - how is Switch the biggest console in the world? People keep saying that in this thread, but the data I found it's 70 million Switches vs 114 million PS4s. That doesn't mean it's not super-popular, but from the data I've Googled it's at second place. I don't really care which one is first, but I do like to follow the industry and what you said doesn't seem right.
it has to do with the natural progression of consoles, currently the PS4 and the XB1 consoles are in the "moving up" phase and the player base on those platforms are more or less not as active as they once were. In the case of the switch, the install base is still fairly active and buys games left and right. So while the ps4 has a bigger install base, it doesn't necessarily have a bigger active base right now. Switch is in that point where it does have that.

And again that's the natural course of the console life.
You sure you want those words marked lol
Yes. Because I said it may be in the next direct. Note, I don't see tomorrow as the next direct as that was already announced, I'm talking about it possibly being in the following one.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Yes. Because I said it may be in the next direct. Note, I don't see tomorrow as the next direct as that was already announced, I'm talking about it possibly being in the following one.

I mean, the next Direct is tomorrow lol. What you're saying only makes sense if that Direct had already happened. But yeah, I guess it's entirely possibly that the Direct after next it could be since they are like a year apart at this point.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
That's been a long debunked urban legend about the game btw. That has never been true.

The urban legend is that CODE: Veronica had the number "3" in its title at one point. CV was never a "numbered RE."

But CODE: Veronica is very much a "mainline RE" with a highly relevant and centralized story, and therefore is important to the series in ways that other non-numbered games like Umbrella Chronicles and Revelations aren't.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
The urban legend is that CODE: Veronica had the number "3" in its title at one point. CV was never a "numbered RE."

But CODE: Veronica is very much a "mainline RE" with a highly relevant and centralized story, and therefore is important to the series in ways that other non-numbered games like Umbrella Chronicles and Revelations aren't.

That's the part I meant, not about whether it was technically mainline or not. I already mentioned earlier that narratively it obviously was. And the part about the numbered thing only on being on PlayStation, which I think was based on a mistranslation or misquote from one of the Producers at the time or something? I don't recall the exact details.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
That's the part I meant, not about whether it was technically mainline or not. I already mentioned earlier that narratively it obviously was. And the part about the numbered thing only on being on PlayStation, which I think was based on a mistranslation or misquote from one of the Producers at the time or something? I don't recall the exact details.

The bit about numbered games being only on PlayStation is true, as well. That's why the Nemesis spinoff got a number in the end.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
The bit about numbered games being only on PlayStation is true, as well. That's why the Nemesis spinoff got a number in the end.

Hm, I thought they ultimately called it 3 for marketing purposes since they thought it would sell better than being a 'Gaiden' game, and the whole 'we only do numbered games on PlayStation' was from an interview with Okamoto and it was a misunderstanding of him simply saying that the first three games would be on PlayStation, not explicitly that they would only do numbered titles on PlayStation. But it's been a long time since I read up on this stuff, so you're probably right.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Hm, I thought they ultimately called it 3 for marketing purposes since they thought it would sell better than being a 'Gaiden' game, and the whole 'we only do numbered games on PlayStation' was from an interview with Okamoto and it was a misunderstanding of him simply saying that the first three games would be on PlayStation, not explicitly that they would only do numbered titles on PlayStation. But it's been a long time since I read up on this stuff, so you're probably right.

Shinji Mikami confirms it here:

youtu.be

Shinji Mikami, Part 1: The birth of the survival horror game

For his 30th career anniversary, we met Shinji Mikami, one of the most prolific creators and contributors to the game industry.Over a long interview, he told...

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Revelations was considered more of a mainline spinoff too upfront iirc, it really shifted to a bit of a side series with the episodic Rev 2. If Outrage really drops the Rev brand I'd take that as a sign they maybe want to bring the title back to that status alongside CV and (sorta) 0.

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
Sure, I'm down for this. I'm still working my way through the mainline Resi franchise but will definitely be playing this one. I just hope Jill makes an appearance in some way...

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Revelations was considered more of a mainline spinoff too upfront iirc, it really shifted to a bit of a side series with the episodic Rev 2. If Outrage really drops the Rev brand I'd take that as a sign they maybe want to bring the title back to that status alongside CV and (sorta) 0.

Not really? I mean, Rev1 was a side story between 4 and 5 and Rev2 was a side story between 5 and 6. I don't think Rev1 was more integral with its plot than 2 was. At least not that I remember, though it's been a long while since I played it.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I don't get the love for Sheva. She's always been boring as a sack of bricks and her design never did anything for me either. I guess people are glad she's a minority and female but at this point I'd prefer they just made another black woman character more interesting than Sheva.

Then again a second appearance for RE characters has usually done them wonders. So maybe they could make Sheva cool. I'd gladly eat my own words if she showed up again and was cooler than she was in RE5.

She felt so tacked on in RE5. Like she wasn't even part of the original script and was added late in production just to make the game co-op. Which I think was actually the case IIRC

Sheva and Josh are... violently just thrown at situations while the script disgustingly gives them the most basic agency in everything.

Like, 80% of their lines are actors reading character descriptions and motivations in a design document with no real emotion or relevancy in the actual story.

We go from stuff with Sheva like: "Chris, just so you know this is my complete background and why the player should care about me"

*staring at the camera with a blank face

To Josh: "My character likes Sheva because he trained her. Also, i know i disappeared from the game earlier to build suspense, but the reason i got transported all the way here is because...i just ended up here" (last part is actual legit part of dialogue in that game)

RE fans gives some crazy absurd credit to some characters like while hating others with no reason whatsoever.

And Mikami was and still is completely right about Rebecca.

Vendetta alone says everything you need to know about why she exists.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Not really? I mean, Rev1 was a side story between 4 and 5 and Rev2 was a side story between 5 and 6. I don't think Rev1 was more integral with its plot than 2 was. At least not that I remember, though it's been a long while since I played it.
I was speaking more to positioning and marketing, less the canon. Story wise arguments can be made against even numbered titles (3) being more like side stories.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

Code Veronica is a side game and you need to get over it :P

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Sheva and Josh are... violently just thrown at situations while the script disgustingly gives them the most basic agency in everything.

Like, 80% of their lines are actors reading character descriptions and motivations in a design document with no real emotion or relevancy in the actual story.

We go from stuff with Sheva like: "Chris, just so you know this is my complete background and why the player should care about me"

*staring at the camera with a blank face

To Josh: "My character likes Sheva because he trained her. Also, i know i disappeared from the game earlier to build suspense, but the reason i got transported all the way here is because...i just ended up here" (last part is actual legit part of dialogue in that game)

RE fans gives some crazy absurd credit to some characters like while hating others with no reason whatsoever.

And Mikami was and still is completely right about Rebecca.

Vendetta alone says everything you need to know about why she exists.
Agree 100%. Rebecca was a little better in 0 than in her other appearances, though.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD

Shoot, with numbers being phased out from the titles of RE, I think it may already be doing a lot help prepare for the inevitability of downplaying the whole "sliding scale of importance" between mainline and spinoff thing, as it is.

Monster Hunter's already made that transition with World jettisoning "5", and Rise continuing that trend. I can easily see Capcom's other biggest series following suit, and effectively saying "every game's important".

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Shoot, with numbers being phased out from the titles of RE, I think it may already be doing a lot help prepare for the inevitability of downplaying the whole "sliding scale of importance" between mainline and spinoff thing, as it is.

Monster Hunter's already made that transition with World jettisoning "5", and Rise continuing that trend. I can easily see Capcom's other biggest series following suit, and effectively saying "every game's important".

Well, numbers or not, that's always largely been true with the RE franchise already.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Any word on it being episodic?
That's a big part of the Revelations series, but I'd be happy if they removed it.

Oct 27, 2017
If it truly is Rev3, please have Raid Mode. I miss that mode so much.

I wonder if they're going to reuse levels from previous RE games (like how Rev2 reused RE6 levels for Raid Mode) or use the main game's levels like Rev1 did. It better have a Ghost Ship equivalent stage where you run through the game's map from beginning to end

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
If it truly is Rev3, please have Raid Mode. I miss that mode so much.

I wonder if they're going to reuse levels from previous RE games (like how Rev2 reused RE6 levels for Raid Mode) or use the main game's levels like Rev1 did. It better have a Ghost Ship equivalent stage where you run through the game's map from beginning to end
Agree with all of this. They can have a bunch of 'classic' raid levels, but I still want something like Rev1 had where you can use Raid mode as an 'all killer no filler' replay of the main game as well.

The original RE3 is truly a blessed title. Everything worked out as it should in the end.
Jokes aside (cause I do consider CVX mainline) gameplay wise, RE3 has proven to be the much more influential title to the mainline than CVX, and it's the one that feels more like a proper sequel to me. Stuff like not needing to hit a button to walk up stairs, ammo creation, more evolved stalker enemies, etc, sure seem more part of the series DNA now than whatever gameplay elements CVX added (dual wielded guns, I guess?). CVX seemed to evolve one thing... real time backgrounds, but in most other ways feels like RE2 part 2. Character animation, for example, has the same walk in place turning thing RE2 had when you're turning on the spot, where RE3 has proper turning animations.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The original RE3 is truly a blessed title. Everything worked out as it should in the end.
It is really cool reading the backstory of how it came to be.

That it started as a side game but became a mainline game because of how good it was, is such a badass thing.
Agree with all of this. They can have a bunch of 'classic' raid levels, but I still want something like Rev1 had where you can use Raid mode as an 'all killer no filler' replay of the main game as well.

Jokes aside (cause I do consider CVX mainline) gameplay wise, RE3 has proven to be the much more influential title to the mainline than CVX, and it's the one that feels more like a proper sequel to me. Stuff like not needing to hit a button to walk up stairs, ammo creation, more evolved stalker enemies, etc, sure seem more part of the series DNA now than whatever gameplay elements CVX added (dual wielded guns, I guess?). CVX seemed to evolve one thing... real time backgrounds, but in most other ways feels like RE2 part 2. Character animation, for example, has the same walk in place turning thing RE2 had when you're turning on the spot, where RE3 has proper turning animations.
For sure. So many things in RE3 became the standard in games after it.

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
Jokes aside (cause I do consider CVX mainline) gameplay wise, RE3 has proven to be the much more influential title to the mainline than CVX, and it's the one that feels more like a proper sequel to me. Stuff like not needing to hit a button to walk up stairs, ammo creation, more evolved stalker enemies, etc, sure seem more part of the series DNA now than whatever gameplay elements CVX added (dual wielded guns, I guess?).

I've been playing the series back-to-back for the first time and it was incredibly jarring booting up Code Veronica and having to press "action" to walk up stairs. I get RE3 and CVX were developed at the same time, but still.

I will say that, for better or worse, it seems to me that CVX had a bigger influence on the series in terms of tone. The story was significantly wackier / campier than anything we saw previously, the Wesker revival, and so on. Whether or not this was a good thing is a different point, but you can definitely see the plot DNA of CVX in RE4-6.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I've been playing the series back-to-back for the first time and it was incredibly jarring booting up Code Veronica and having to press "action" to walk up stairs. I get RE3 and CVX were developed at the same time, but still.

I will say that, for better or worse, it seems to me that CVX had a bigger influence on the series in terms of tone. The story was significantly wackier / campier than anything we saw previously, the Wesker revival, and so on. Whether or not this was a good thing is a different point, but you can definitely see the plot DNA of CVX in RE4-6.
True about the OTT story stuff, that I can't deny. Although I'm glad to see the games seemed to have stepped away from that these days.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
If we look to RE4-RE6 the tone of those games are definitely more similar to CV than RE3. Many fans talk about RE3 being a step towards action, which isn't wrong but it's way overblown, but CV intro and its cutscenes are much more representative of the change in direction the series had. The intro with Claire for example is much more similar to the kind of stuff we would see in RE4-RE6 than anything in the classic trilogy.

Yet that changed with the blessed RE engine. One could argue RE3 is the most similar of the older games to RE7 and the two new REmakes. With a focus on stalker enemies, and stuff like ammo crafting.

Last edited: