• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Would SFV's comeback in sales say more about the strength of the SF brand, the work the devs put in to right the ship, or both?

Either way, if they hit the ground running for SFVI, I'm sure it'll do great.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Good thing it can sell like that without any new releases, because it's never getting any.🤭

The Trilogy re-release was 2 years ago, and Great Ace Attorney 2 in Japan was 2017. Sure would have been great to get official localizations of Great Ace Attorney, but if it happens now we might get a physical English release so that would be a great payoff for the wait.

JusDoIt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Would SFV's comeback in sales say more about the strength of the SF brand, the work the devs put in to right the ship, or both?

I honestly think it's par for the course. I'm willing to bet more PEOPLE own SFV than owned SFIV even though it has sold less copies to date.

This isn't the first Street Fighter to have a rocky launch (Alpha and SFIII did too) and sales have always been steady for SFV, averaging 200k a quarter for going on five years.

Street Fighter has always played the long game and had an evolving relationship with the players. Even SFII had growing pains and faced competition from BOOTLEGS of SFII like Rainbow Edition.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really sad because the game have the BEST gameplay mechanic I've ever experienced in a survival horror game, so damn fun and addictive and the game itself is solid and very well designed.

If only it was 90-120 minutes longer and they didn't cut fan's favorite area ( you know what I'm talking about )... or at less made it more faithful to the original like RE2R and RE1R.

Also, it has one of the greatest ending theme EVEEEEEER:

Imagine a next gen Director's Cut that brings back everything people wanted AND expands on them.

You said it yourself, the gameplay is really fun so just imagine them adding back Operation Mad Jackal Mercenaries mode.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine a next gen Director's Cut that brings back everything people wanted AND expands on them.

You said it yourself, the gameplay is really fun so just imagine them adding back Operation Mad Jackal Mercenaries mode.

I think the game's issues go beyond adding more stuff to do tbh (though it is a big issue). I feel like they'd have to pretty much make the game again to fix issues such as making Nemesis more terrifying than Mr. X (which I don't think he is) as well as adding several key scenes for characters like Brad and Barry. Basically, I don't think a simple Director's Cut would do enough tbh. At most it would make the game longer and bit more replayable imo.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Trilogy re-release was 2 years ago, and Great Ace Attorney 2 in Japan was 2017. Sure would have been great to get official localizations of Great Ace Attorney, but if it happens now we might get a physical English release so that would be a great payoff for the wait.

On one hand Monster Hunter Stories 2 shows that Capcom isn't completely allergic to mid-tier Switch (focused) releases but the fact that the Director of AA 4-6 and the Director of the AA Trilogy have both left Capcom in the interim isn't a great sign.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I think the game's issues go beyond adding more stuff to do tbh (though it is a big issue). I feel like they'd have to pretty much make the game again to fix the issues that go from how badly Nemesis is treat in both story and gameplay as well as adding several key scenes for characters like Brad and Barry. Basically,I don't think a simple Director's Cut would do enough tbh. At most it would make the game longer and bit more replayable imo.
Oh I know what you mean.

I was thinking more along the lines of adding back choices to the game. Pick A or B and you can go to a very different route.

Imagine this scenario: The intro we have in the game gives you two options A) answer the phone to talk to Brad or B) see who is knocking at your door (this would be added to the intro). If you pick A the game continues like the current version but if you pick B you open the door to see zombies and have to get out of the apartment and continue like OG RE3 and then meet Brad (who is now targetted by Nemesis instead of you due to some reasons we never see).

And many other choices where it could lead to different story events like the original but expanded on. That includes bigger city and Nemesis returning to his former glory and all the missing stuff returning.

It sounds like a lot of work though but I want to dream.

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I know what you mean.

I was thinking more along the lines of adding back choices to the game. Pick A or B and you can go to a very different route.

Imagine this scenario: The intro we have in the game gives you two options A) answer the phone to talk to Brad or B) see who is knocking at your door (this would be added to the intro). If you pick A the game continues like the current version but if you pick B you open the door to see zombies and have to get out of the apartment and continue like OG RE3 and then meet Brad (who is now targetted by Nemesis instead of you due to some reasons we never see).

And many other choices where it could lead to different story events like the original but expanded on. That includes bigger city and Nemesis returning to his former glory and all the missing stuff returning.

It sounds like a lot of work though but I want to dream.

Yeah I'd love stuff like that, there was a lot of potential to explore the city through different routes, it's a shame we never got anything like that. I know what you mean though about wanting to dream. I myself tend to wonder a lot about how good the game could've been,

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017

Strength of SF Brand + AE and CE Value/Pricing. I think they addressed the biggest complaint that casuals had i.e the content.

In an Ideal world SFV would have had similar success to MKX , if only they had added a similar amount of content. Both IPs coming off a successful reboot that sold around the same (SF4 and MK9). And both games actually have very similar legs when compared to launch sales. Both games sold over double their launch year numbers.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
On one hand Monster Hunter Stories 2 shows that Capcom isn't completely allergic to mid-tier Switch (focused) releases but the fact that the Directors of AA 4-6 and the Director of the AA Trilogy have both left Capcom in the interim isn't a great sign.

Sure, nothing is certain for the series future right now. But 200K new sales for back catalog titles is a nice number, and Capcom should see that there's demand there. So I'm keeping my hopes up.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'd love stuff like that, there was a lot of potential to explore the city through different routes, it's a shame we never got anything like that. I know what you mean though about wanting to dream. I myself tend to wonder a lot about how good the game could've been,
The worst part is that RE3 remake in my head was something that takes the original on another level. A good design they could have looked at would be Bloodborne's level design. It would work perfectly in an RE3 remake.

Just imagine meeting survivors and helping them out or even send them to the subway (which could have made that section much more interesting because of the developments that happen). Or going to one location before the other and seeing events that you might not have seen the last time because you took a different route. All this while Nemesis is stalking you or making traps for you to ambush you.

Instead they made an RE4 style game that tries to be RE3.

Capcom really frustrates me sometimes...

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
I'm really sad because the game have the BEST gameplay mechanic I've ever experienced in a survival horror game, so damn fun and addictive and the game itself is solid and very well designed.

If only it was 90-120 minutes longer and they didn't cut fan's favorite area ( you know what I'm talking about )... or at less made it more faithful to the original like RE2R and RE1R.

No lie. While even my very 1st playthrough I thought the game was just ok, I DO remember getting chills when this came on. What an awesome remixed version of a song that concluded the classic RE trilogy

Last edited:

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The worst part is that RE3 remake in my head was something that takes the original on another level. A good design they could have looked at would be Bloodborne's level design. It would work perfectly in an RE3 remake.

Just imagine meeting survivors and helping them out or even send them to the subway (which could have made that section much more interesting because of the developments that happen). Or going to one location before the other and seeing events that you might not have seen the last time because you took a different route. All this while Nemesis is stalking you or making traps for you to ambush you.

Instead they made an RE4 style game that tries to be RE3.

Capcom really frustrates me sometimes...

Yeah I remember actually thinking at one point that we'd be able to direct survivors to the Subway but we never did. I even thought they'd have the Resistance characters show up as NPCs we could save as a way to tie them in but they never did that either. The whole game really feels like a huge missed opportunity. Hopefully they take their time with RE4 remake (which I expect given I feel like they rushed RE3 remake to get to 4).

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, nothing is certain for the series future right now. But 200K new sales for back catalog titles is a nice number, and Capcom should see that there's demand there. So I'm keeping my hopes up.

True, but I would dare say that we've seen a few examples of low cost legacy releases doing well not really carrying over to new releases.

At the very least they should be able to do 4-6 HD, those are even on MT Framework already.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I remember actually thinking at one point that we'd be able to direct survivors to the Subway but we never did. I even thought they'd have the Resistance characters show up as NPCs we could save as a way to tie them in but they never did that either. The whole game really feels like a huge missed opportunity. Hopefully they take their time with RE4 remake (which I expect given I feel like they rushed RE3 remake to get to 4).
Agreed.

Your Resistance idea sounds great too. Maybe sometime in the future someone will make a fan game or mod and let us explore an open world like Racoon City (this city is so interesting and it makes me mad REmake 3 just decided to leave out so much of it).

It is funny, Code Veronica is the game I wouldn't have minded if they did what they did to REmake 3 to it. It is a game that could use trimming. Instead we are getting RE4 and it will probably not be as good. (Could be a good game on it's own if they decide to reimagine it as a horror game though but at that point is it RE4?)

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil

Probably the GOAT ending theme.

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed.

Your Resistance idea sounds great too. Maybe sometime in the future someone will make a fan game or mod and let us explore an open world like Racoon City (this city is so interesting and it makes me mad REmake 3 just decided to leave out so much of it).

It is funny, Code Veronica is the game I wouldn't have minded if they did what they did to REmake 3 to it. It is a game that could use trimming. Instead we are getting RE4 and it will probably not be as good. (Could be a good game on it's own if they decide to reimagine it as a horror game though but at that point is it RE4?)

Yeah I really liked CVX when I played it but it could use some trimming for sure. RE3 was already a fairly short game by RE standards so trimming even more off it was baffling. I still can't believe we didn't get to go in the Clock Tower, but we hey got another sewer which is just as good! /s Ugh I'm getting depressed again lol

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I really liked CVX when I played it but it could use some trimming for sure. RE3 was already a fairly short game by RE standards so trimming even more off it was baffling. I still can't believe we didn't get to go in the Clock Tower, but we hey got another sewer which is just as good! /s Ugh I'm getting depressed again lol
Haha yeah. Everytime I remember REmake 3 I feel sad and disappointed. I still replay it every once in a while but god damn do I feel really tired every time because I remember the lost potential.

I think I will go replay RE3 OG instead to fill the void.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Great to hear about RE7. Such a big risk with one of their major franchises.

Sep 7, 2020
Who are the 100k people who just bought MVCI
I am wondering that too but I hope more people buy the game so they can see the interest in a MVC4 and/or a capcom vs collection. The game is dirt cheap and I personally enjoyed the gameplay albeit with exceptions to the story, character selection, and color scheme.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Mega Man 11 inching in to become the best selling game in the franchise.

Noice
tenor.gif

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020

The ending theme is great indeed.

But just adding more content wouldn't really make RE3R much better. It's too linear, doesn't add much to RE2R mechanics, Nemesis is a failure (Mr X was way more terrifying), higher difficulties (nightmare, inferno) are poorly balanced. + Dodging doesn't feel responsive enough to be really fun, imo. + Enemies being able to chain attack you till you die, without giving you any ability to recover, is just a very bad game design (yet, I guess, it's fixable by simply making Jill invincible until the player regains at least some control).

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was Lost Planet on sale or something? Cool though that 100k copies were sold for the best Capcom series.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
IIRC Capcom wanted 4mil from DMC5 by the end of March 2021, and DMC5 is almost at 4mil by the end of September 2020 so I think it's safe to say that the game is selling above Capcom's expectations, which is really nice to see.
I'm thinking Dragon's Dogma 2 will be next from Itsuno before a DMC6. But DD2 could be quite close.
I really hope the next DMC is made but someone new at the helm. I love Itsuno but it's both the time for he to move on from the series and for DMC to have some new blood with a few fresh ideas.

Just That Simple

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
I really hope the next DMC is made but someone new at the helm. I love Itsuno but it's both the time for he to move on from the series and for DMC to have some new blood with a few fresh ideas.
I hope so too. Let him do DD2 and other passion projects he may have. Let him supervise on a hypothetical DMC6 but have a new director.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Holy hell, those Resident Evil Remasters are killing it. I really enjoyed RE 2, gotta jump on RE3. I wonder if Code Veronica is ever going to be in their plans as that's the last classic styled RE.