• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Ummm...what happened to Resident Evil 6 fans bragging about how "bad" 7 was doing?! What happened to ya'll!? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
Yeah bye bye extreme action RE and good riddance. RE4 Remake should suit fans of that style though.
RE6: 7.5 Mil
RE6 Remaster: 2 Mil
Total: 9.5 Mil

408161908856979457.png

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else happy to see Megaman back on these lists?

Love it. We gotta get X9 now.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People need to get over this weird RE6 vs 7 stuff. Like seriously, they both have great numbers. Who gives a crap? Some of ya'll need to get away from this game stuff for a while and read a fucking book.
It's literally just one person that does this and continues to do so in almost every Resident Evil/Capcom related thread. Best to put them on ignore.

Caiops

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DMC5, RE2R and RE7 are doing pretty well lately, price cuts really helps to sell these kind of games.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Second half of RE7 is full on action and both story expansions are action focused. I don't know what makes people conclude that "action RE" is dead from the success of RE7.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
Second half of RE7 is full on action and both story expansions are action focused. I don't know what makes people conclude that "action RE" is dead from the success of RE7.
The big difference between the two is the tone. The action in RE7 gradually builds up, and it feels earned when it goes for the more crazy encounters. Even then, it's nowhere near the level of the frantic pace and ridiculousness of RE6 and 5.

RE5/6 are outlandish from the get-go, which makes its action feel so totally off from the rest of the series.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Likely 99% of it. The game was at a standstill until the switch port hit
EDIT: OH you mean total. Give me a sec
yeah i meant total, obviously the 3DS version isn't selling anything these days.

1.8 Million was 3DS as of Sept 2017, so if we're really generous and say 3DS did 2 million.
The switch version is 1.6 Million. give or take (I'd imagine it's closer to 1.8 Million and might be a 50/50 split or close to it)
thanks.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Hadn't realised that MH was Capcom's best performing current series, and by a long way as well. Crazy considering it never performed particularly well in the west before World.

PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Resident Evil 7 (January 24, 2017)

>2.5 million units (as of January 27, 2017)
3.5 million units (as of March 31, 2017)
3.7 million units (as of June 30, 2017)
4.1 million units (as of September 30, 2017)
4.8 million units (as of December 31, 2017)

5.1 million units (as of March 31, 2018)
5.4 million units (as of June 30, 2018)
5.7 million units (as of September 30, 2018)
6.1 million units (as of December 31, 2018)

6.4 million units (as of March 31, 2019)
6.6 million units (as of June 30, 2019)
6.8 million units (as of September 30, 2019)
7.0 million units (as of December 31, 2019)

7.5 million units (as of March 31, 2020)

Resident Evil 2 (January 25, 2019)

3.0 million units (as of January 28, 2019)
4.0 million units (as of February 26, 2019)
4.2 million units (as of March 31, 2019)
4.5 million units (as of June 30, 2019)
4.7 million units (as of September 30, 2019)
>5 million units (as of December 4, 2019)
5.8 million units (as of December 31, 2019)

6.6 million units (as of March 31, 2020)

Resident Evil 3 (April 3, 2020)

>2 million units (as of April 7, 2020)
>2.5 million units (as of early May 2020)

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Capcom is the goat dev. I usually say they are second only to Nintendo, but really I think they have surpassed them for me. I just enjoy their stuff a little bit more. (although Smash & BOtW are GOATS) and happy to see my favorite franchises get worldwide success. PS fans were really hungry for Mh to come back and I'm sure a lot of new folks tried it out for the first time and fell in love.

I can only imagine how stuff like DMC RE and SF are going to play with the new SSD and CPU! My God...next gen is gonna be amazing!

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Awww yea can't wait for DMC V to become a 5m seller. Those are some good ass legs.

Also RE7 gonna take the RE throne from RE5. I wonder when RE2 will outpace it.

Capcom combining the SFV numbers of all version in a single SKU just to say that the game is selling well will never stop being funny to me.

Like if they did the same for every other game that chart would've been so different.
RE6 would've been at 9.5 mil for example lol

None of those SKUs are new titles like SF4 -> Super SF4. Its all just digital upgrades. 4.5m is great regardless of how you want to look at it.
Also They combine the SKUs of every game ever since PS4/XB1 gen. Thats why RE7,2 are way higher than other RE titles.

But yes the chart would look very different. SF2 will probably be at the top much higher than Monster Hunter , possibly followed by RE5.

I do agree that the chart is very unfair to older titles. SFV is in no way Capcom's 10th most successful title by any measure.

Last edited:

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Master Edition [World + Iceborne] sales are only counted towards Iceborne figures, I highly doubt World wouldn't keep its first place.

I think you are forgetting the bajillion editions of SF2 that were released back then. The 6.3m figure is just for the First Launch SKU of SF2 on the SNES.

For titles older than PS2 era , Capcom don't count new SKUs towards the game sales ( stuff like PS "Greatest Hits" SKUs ).

Heck just adding the SKUs you see on the Platinum chart alone give SF2 around 14m of sales. Then theres tons of other budget SKUs that aren't shown because they didn't exceed 1m individually.

Deleted member 61002

Banned
Nov 1, 2019
What exactly is funny ? None of those SKUs are new titles like SF4 -> Super SF4. Its all just digital upgrades. 4.5m is great regardless of how you want to look at it.
Also They combine the SKUs of every game ever since PS4/XB1 gen. Thats why RE7,2 are way higher than other RE titles.

But yes the chart would look very different. SF2 will probably be at the top much higher than Monster Hunter , possibly followed by RE5.

World + Iceborne is at 21 million. How much do you think SF2 sold to be "much higher"?

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Phew at Monster Hunter World.

Kashibaba

Oct 25, 2017
What exactly is funny ? None of those SKUs are new titles like SF4 -> Super SF4. Its all just digital upgrades. 4.5m is great regardless of how you want to look at it.

Combining them for sfv actually made sense because if i wanted to keep playing sfv with my friends i didn't need to buy the new sku, while back in SF4 days i had to rebuy the game again just to keep playing with everyone else.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Combining them for sfv actually made sense because if i wanted to keep playing sfv with my friends i didn't need to buy the new sku, while back in SF4 days i had to rebuy the game again just to keep playing with everyone else.

Exactly.

A fair comparison would be to combine sales of Super SFIV, AE and Ultra. Which roughly add up to around 5m.

Now its obviously unfair to ignore Vanilla SFIV's 3.4m sales. So I'd still say SFIV was the more successful title. But SFV wasn't a failure by any means , and it didn't release on Xbox. It would easily be over 5.5m if it was on Xbox too.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles

You only technically had to rebuy SFIV once to stay current (per platform). Vanilla SFIV had no upgrades, but Super SFIV could be upgraded all the way to Ultra.

Super SFIV and SFV virtually have the same exact sales model, and they now have virtually the same exact sales: 4.4 million (2010-2014) vs 4.5 million (2016-2020).

To me, the story really is that Street Fighter, the franchise, has sold 10 million copies in the last 10 years if you include Street Fighter x Tekken's 1.4 million copies. A steady million each year. Not world breaking numbers, but I think that's the actual size of the Street Fighter audience right now.

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Nice solid results. I've grabbed everything Capcom has put out and they've definitely done a great job of things lately (even if I missed a few areas from OG3 in the remake...)
Hoping that we get to see the new MM game soon, as well as this rumored Capcom compilation (Arcade Stadium).

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the sfv haters finally shut up about its sales numbers. I guess it got too hard to downplay 4.5 million copies sold, not to mention all the season passes and cosmetics sales loll.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the sfv haters finally shut up about its sales numbers. I guess it got too hard to downplay 4.5 million copies sold, not to mention all the season passes and cosmetics sales loll.
We both know that'll never happen! SFV could continue selling plenty per quarter and you'll still have the annual "SFV is dead" posts pop up here. Despite proof to the contrary!

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017

SFV's legs after AE and CE have been pretty crazy. At this rate it will easily be over 6 Million by the time SFVI is out.
SFV might end up being a more profitable title than SFIV. Especially since it has far more profitable monetization models like you mentioned.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
For people confused about RE6, at least the remaster, reminder they released backwards (i.e. it's had more time on the market)

resident-evil-4-5-6-ps4-xbo-1200x600.png

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
SFV's legs after AE and CE have been pretty crazy. At this rate it will easily be over 6 Million by the time SFVI is out.
SFV might end up being a more profitable title than SFIV. Especially since it has far more profitable monetization models like you mentioned.

I think 5 million is a lock, but 6 million might be a stretch without new content.

If it gets any special upgrades for PS5 I can see a decent number of people buying, though.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
I think 5 million is a lock, but 6 million might be a stretch without new content.

If it gets any special upgrades for PS5 I can see a decent number of people buying, though.

Yea 6m before SFVI might be a stretch. But 6m LTD seems like a lock.

Am just expecting another boost around SFVI announcement. USFIV got the same boost when SFV was announced.