• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
Black/brown people too.

Jill is the one character out of every character in the series I want to see more of. Her final appearance is RE5 and they pretty much assassinated her character there. I want her to return and slay.

Same. I have never cared for Chris abs they just keep focusing on him. Have always loved Jill, (although part of that has to do with MVC2).

Also completely agree on more representation of color too.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I disagree entirely.

The 'spin offs' you refer to also helped the series get back on track and were of excellent quality.

Maybe it's you looking down at those entries that is the bigger issue. I personally see them as great horror games starring women.

I agree with you. I remember more of the spin offs than 7 for example.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Only it you co-op, same as 5. 5 is a male lead too.

Ada campaign is a plus point i overlooked.
When you play the game Solo you're asked to pick a character

rf4dEVn.png

OP
OP

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes it would be interesting but it also doesn't feel to me like Capcom is just neglecting them. The remakes also reached millions of players despite not telling a completely new story. Obviously people were still intrigued. I imagine the Netflix show starring Leon and Claire is happening because of the RE2 Remake.
The Netflix story is cool, but this thread is focused on games. As for Capcom neglecting them, all mainline games since RE4 have stories centered around white men, with Ada's story being an exception in RE6 (but even so the focus was on Chris, Leon, and Jake). Again, I'm making a distinction here between sidekicks and protagonists. What I'm hoping for are sequels that have women as stars (pun not intended). Just like Claire was in her story in RE2 (she wasn't there to help Leon but for her own goals) and Jill in RE3.

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
When you play the game Solo you're asked to pick a character

rf4dEVn.png

Yeah, you can pick your character and I remember playing as Sherry and Helena on my first playthrough. Which lead to a hilarious moment, when during the fight with Simmons on the bridge I was stuck in a tiny room, while AI Leon was fighting the boss for me. :D

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Make Mia the new female lead.
It would be awesome if there's some twist in RE8, and Ethan gets captures due to his potential "special abilities" due to the infection, and Mia has to come in for the rescue and takes the majority of the game.

I doubt it would happen, but it could be fucking cool. She was a badass in her parts of 7.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not super into RE games, but from what I've seen the series has lots of female protagonists. If anything, the games that don't feature one are the minority. Even RE Revelations starred Jill

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always felt RE games had strong female representation from the very beginning so I can't agree with OP.

Claire, Jill, Ada, Sheva etc. are all well known gaming icons.

Could they do even better? Sure, but in the overall gaming landscape they are among the front of the pack.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I've always found the narrative around Jill a weird one. People act like she's been totally absent from the series since RE3, but that isn't the case at all. She was in RE5, including having a prominent and playable role in both of the DLC expansions and Mercs (she's even on the box of every re-release since the initial one), one of the main characters of the first Revelations, and then obviously the recent remake. I understand not being a fan of the direction they took her, I wasn't a fan of her role in RE5, but like overall she's still been there and in a relatively prominent position in all the titles she is in. Hell, up until Revelations 2, Claire was probably even more ignored post-CV since she had zero role or mention in RE4-6. There was that first CG movie, I suppose, but Leon was the clear focus and her story was clearly the B-plot.

The problem isn't about them ignoring one specific character, it's as the OP says, they have just chose to focus so much on the male characters, specifically Leon and Chris. Jill's treatment is not particularly special since Claire was, for a long time, regulated to the abyss, Rebecca got completely ignored despite being one of the original cast members and even headlining a game at one point, and not a single female character they introduced post-RE3 returned until Mia in Village. So I don't know why people are so intent on just focusing on how she's been 'ignored.' It really should be something that is looked at as an issue with the series as a whole, not some weird vendetta against a specific character that people want to weave wild ass narratives about like the character being a mistake or crap like that.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
It would be awesome if there's some twist in RE8, and Ethan gets captures due to his potential "special abilities" due to the infection, and Mia has to come in for the rescue and takes the majority of the game.

I doubt it would happen, but it could be fucking cool. She was a badass in her parts of 7.
I wouldn't be against that.
The Mia part of the game was one of my favorites parts of RE7. Nothing against Ethan, but she's a more interesting character.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, you can pick your character and I remember playing as Sherry and Helena on my first playthrough. Which lead to a hilarious moment, when during the fight with Simmons on the bridge I was stuck in a tiny room, while AI Leon was fighting the boss for me. :D

Tbf that's because it's a cross boss fight with Ada.

Leon doesnt solo it.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Im not going to let yall pretend that you did not drag Revelations 2 through the mud :/

Raid mode is still the best additional RE mode Capcom has ever produced

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Capcom is doing fine with female representation, that being said I would love a new game with Jill. Claire was in revelations 2 so I don't miss her that much (didn't play rev 1).

I do feel it's way past time to have a strong black protagonist in RE specially considering the role black protags always had in the classic Romero movies.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
I'd don't know why but I thought I read the word "pregnant" in the title. At first I thought it was odd but then I thought, maybe that could be cool...

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
The treatment of their female leads is a much worse offense than if X amount of women show up to Y amount of games.

"Look at how many women have showed up in the franchise"

Yeah, that would probably be the case when you treat most the women in your games as window dressing for new games revolving around the continuation of your male protagonists' stories. RE7 ended up being a Chris story, RE8 is going to be a Chris story. We have no Idea, none, whatever the hell has happened to Jill, or Rebecca since forever.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The treatment of their female leads is a much worse offense than if X amount of women show up to Y amount of games.

"Look at how many women have showed up in the franchise"

Yeah, that would probably be the case when you treat most the women in your games as window dressing for new games revolving around the continuation of your male protagonists' stories. RE7 ended up being a Chris story, RE8 is going to be a Chris story. We have no Idea, none, whatever the hell has happened to Jill, or Rebecca since forever.
RE7 was in no way, shape or form a "Chris story". He showed up for like 30 seconds in the base game and had a single DLC.

tripleg

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 30, 2020
I always felt RE games had strong female representation from the very beginning so I can't agree with OP.

Claire, Jill, Ada, Sheva etc. are all well known gaming icons.

Could they do even better? Sure, but in the overall gaming landscape they are among the front of the pack.

Right? I'm not sure why RE is getting this much focus as there are games that are way worse in terms of inclusion and diversity. I thought Sheva hit a great note - and I think it was way past its time having people like Jill in the forefront.

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
Will Jill ever get followed up on?
Will Claire?
Will Rebecca?
Will Helena?
Will Moira?
Will Sheva?
Will Sherry?
Will Mia, once/if the male protagonist she is married to is no longer the narrative focus?

No? Maybe? Likely not

You can bet we are getting more Chris stories though, RE8 is one of those. Oh and dont yall worry Leon fans, we will get P L E N T Y Leon stories once Capcom tastes the sweet sweet cash from the Re4 Remake 😒

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
It's time for the next generation of RE protagonists to shine.

Sherry Birkin game please. Her character design is too good to waste and you could do some interesting gameplay things with her mutations.

main_1.jpg

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
Thats not the point. His story is continuing to be progressed, as it will be the case for 8. A privilege not given to most of the women in this franchise.

Will Claire?
Will Rebecca?
Will Helena?
Will Moira?
Will Sheva?
Will Sherry?
Will Mia, once/if the male protagonist she is married to is no longer the narrative focus?

No? Maybe? Likely not

You can bet we are getting more Chris stories though, RE8 is one of those. Oh and dont yall worry Leon fans, we will get P L E N T Y Leon stories once Capcom tastes the sweet sweet cash from the Re4 Remake 😒

Cringing so hard.

Funny how RE7 and RE8 are allowed to be classed as Chris stories despite him barely appearing and yet full games like Revelations 1 and 2 don't count for the women.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Will Claire?
Will Rebecca?
Will Helena?
Will Moira?
Will Sheva?
Will Sherry?

This is pretty easy to answer except the last one. Were they introduced in RE1 or 2? Then yeah, most likely they will at some point in time in some form. Where they introduced post-RE3? Probably not lol. Mia is the only one that doesn't apply to since her and Ethan are the only post-RE3 main characters to return for a sequel. Hunnigan is the only other RE character that has had that honor but she's always had a background role.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Though I'm all for what the OP is saying (Claire is my favorite character by far and both her and Jill are fantastic in the remakes), it's not fair to ignore stuff to prove a point.
RE0 has Rebecca, CV has Claire and RE6 has a campaign for Ada while Sherry and Helena are co-protagonists in 2 of the other campaigns.
But yeah, I'd give anything to have one of them be the protagonist instead of Ethan.
The characters are one of the reasons RE is so popular, the fact that they are taking a backseat to a player insert avatar is baffling.

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
I would not complain if we got a HUNK game Capcom, just saying 👀

(Watch it be a multiplayer spin off)

OP
OP

Deleted member 17184

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The thread is basically on a loop with some people and I saying it'd be great to have more women in future sequels of the mainline franchise considering how much potential there is with existing characters and new women of color and others arguing that the franchise has awesome women already and the Revelations games are great.

It's weird because we are saying they should use Jill, Claire, Rebecca, Sheva, Sherry, Ashley, Helena, and Moira more, not that the franchise lacks representation of women. No one is arguing about the quality of the Revelations games either, only that they're not as popular. Maybe bullet points will work better?
  • Does Resident Evil have a strong cast of women? Yes.
  • Does it need more women of color? Absolutely.
  • Are women playable in all games of the franchise? Yes.
  • Are the Revelations games good? Yes.
  • Are the remakes good? Absolutely.
  • Are Resident Evil 0 and Code Veronica being ignored? No.
  • Are playable women the same as playable women who are leads? No.
  • What's the difference between a sidekick/partner and a lead? The former helps the lead achieve their goal (like Sheva helps Chris in RE5, but it's not her story) and the latter has their own goals (Jill in RE3).
  • What are examples of what I'm hoping to see in sequels of the mainline series? Claire's story in RE2 and Jill in RE3. A woman as a lead in her own original story.
  • What are not examples of what I'm hoping to see? Ashley in RE4 and Sheva in RE5.
  • Why am I not dividing the Revelations games from the mainline series? Simply because they're less popular. If a Revelations 3 (or any other spin-off) featuring women as protagonists sold as much as the mainline titles, I'd be just as happy. Right now, they don't, so I'm asking for them in the series that gets the most exposure.

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
So many multiplayer spin offs.... a fully fleshed out Raid mode/Mercenaries game with post launch support better be coming 😩

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest I don't really care about the fact if they use already introduced women characters or new ones. They just need to be there and they need to be diverse, in leading roles.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Frankly the female representation has been pretty bad for the mainline games.

we've received remakes & spinoffs with them but no new mainline games. while the remakes were great, they're still remakes of 20-year old games and the revelation spinoffs haven't been a thing for 6 years.

i still don't understand why capcom insisted on returning to ethan for re8 (i think he's a very boring character).

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
i still don't understand why capcom insisted on returning to ethan for re8 (i think he's a very boring character).

According to Dusk Golemn Village started as a spin-off game and was later upgraded to a mainline one since the game that was supposed to be RE8 was far from being finished, and Village did pretty well in internal playtests. That's why Ethan stars in two mainline games in a row.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17184

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

we've received remakes & spinoffs with them but no new mainline games. while the remakes were great, they're still remakes of 20-year old games and the revelation spinoffs haven't been a thing for 6 years.
Yeah. Saying the Revelations games are spin-offs isn't the same as saying they're bad. It's just that they're meant to be a series that fills gaps between entries and not as popular - just like the on-rails games are spin-offs. Even if you consider Code Veronica as part of the main series, there hasn't been an original sequel featuring a woman as the lead protagonist since 2000!

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, horror games, following tropes from horror movies, tend to be more likely to feature characters from everyday walks of life which tends to mean more women (I'm guessing most western horror protagonists are actually women -- the "Final Girl" trope and all). In this aspect the Resident Evil games post-Code Veronica are actually a bit unusual in how much their plots center around the men.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I'd go this far but yeah it ain't great, which is why I think a number of people myself included don't think of it (as a Jill game) much. Jill deserves better. T_T
Even putting gameplay/story aside and the butchered Jill model, while pertinent to the thread topic, it has some of the worst character designs in all of RE.
latest

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
The thread is basically on a loop with some people and I saying it'd be great to have more women in future sequels of the mainline franchise considering how much potential there is with existing characters and new women of color and others arguing that the franchise has awesome women already and the Revelations games are great.

It's weird because we are saying they should use Jill, Claire, Rebecca, Sheva, Sherry, Ashley, Helena, and Moira more, not that the franchise lacks representation of women. No one is arguing about the quality of the Revelations games either, only that they're not as popular. Maybe bullet points will work better?
  • Does Resident Evil have a strong cast of women? Yes.
  • Does it need more women of color? Absolutely.
  • Are women playable in all games of the franchise? Yes.
  • Are the Revelations games good? Yes.
  • Are the remakes good? Absolutely.
  • Are Resident Evil 0 and Code Veronica being ignored? No.
  • Are playable women the same as playable women who are leads? No.
  • What's the difference between a sidekick/partner and a lead? The former helps the lead achieve their goal (like Sheva helps Chris in RE5, but it's not her story) and the latter has their own goals (Jill in RE3).
  • What are examples of what I'm hoping to see in sequels of the mainline series? Claire's story in RE2 and Jill in RE3. A woman as a lead in her own original story.
  • What are not examples of what I'm hoping to see? Ashley in RE4 and Sheva in RE5.
  • Why am I not dividing the Revelations games from the mainline series? Simply because they're less popular. If a Revelations 3 (or any other spin-off) featuring women as protagonists sold as much as the mainline titles, I'd be just as happy. Right now, they don't, so I'm asking for them in the series that gets the most exposure.

Good bullet points. Reading a lot of posts that come awfully close to "The series already has women in it. Take what you can get and shut up."

OP
OP

Deleted member 17184

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

RE8 as we know it now spent a large chunk of its development life as Revelations 3.

That said, I mentioned earlier in the thread why I think Jill will return to the mainline games in the not-too-distant future.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Even putting gameplay/story aside and the butchered Jill model, while pertinent to the thread topic, it has some of the worst character designs in all of RE.
latest
It felt like that was a period when Capcom was trying to head in a bit of a more anime direction, but then with RE7 took a u-turn.