• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'm very ready to almost guarantee Jill is going to headline RE9. Or whatever they call it. She's most long overdue.

Of course, it should be Ada, but they'll never do that. So Jill it is.

I also feel like Jill, while she always had a big following, would've picked up a HEAP of fans after RE3make

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
Are people really pretending that Sheva, Helena and even Sherry were main characters in their respective games or that Revelations are mainline games? Chris is the protagonist in RE5, Sheva is just his sidekick. Same goes for RE6's LEON and JAKE campaigns.

I agree with you on Sheva, since she is really there just for co-op and the "partnership" theme. RE5 is really Chris + Wesker + Jill story. But Helena was basically the reason things were happening in chapters 1 & 2 in RE6 (up until you kill Deborah, then she is put aside and the game focuses more on Leon & Ada), and Sherry is as much the protagonist of her scenario as Jake is until the very end of the game.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a good point. There isn't a single mainline game where you play as a woman from start to finish.

What's the "Logan's Run problem"? 🤔 Never actually seen that film. Edit: Nevermind, Google answered that for me.
Tbf, there isn't a single mainline game where you play as a man from start to finish either(even RE4 has the Ada section).
My point wasn't to just have them as playable characters. RE4 was Leon's story; RE5 was Chris' story; RE6 was all about Chris, Leon, and Jake, with a weird Ada story added.

Since Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, there have been no mainline sequels (as only the numbered games seem to be considered that) with women as protagonists of the story.
By that logic, Mia was actually more of the protagonist than Ethan. RE7 was her story

mockingbird

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Note: By sequels, I don't count remakes, but games that move the story forward.

It's baffling to me that, after Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, every mainline sequel to Resident Evil games focused on men as protagonists. There was Sheva in RE5, but she was there as a co-op partner/AI bot, and her characterization was... well, not good. Ashley and Jill were damsels in distress in RE4 and 5. RE6 had three playable campaigns with... three white men.

Meanwhile, Jill and Claire were relegated to protagonists in the spin-off series Revelations. Ethan (another white man) became the next protagonist in the mainline series, once again on a damsel in distress situation with Mia. She's presumably dying at the beginning of RE8, too.

This is especially frustrating because Claire, Ada, and Jill were great characters in the remakes. As much as I love all the recent games since RE7, and I am looking forward to RE8, these women deserve more prominent roles. And while we're on this topic, the series really needs more women of color with good characterization as protagonists. I hope this will happen in future sequels.

I also want to mention that I have no idea if any of these characters show up in RE8 as I don't know anything about the leaks. There are threads to discuss these, so please keep them out of this one.
That Code Veronica disregard....
Also Resident Evil 0.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
Would definitely love to see my girl Sheva more limelight but I always thought Capcom a pretty good job with the women in the RE universe; very few were "damsels in distress" and most kicked some serious ass and or outshined their male counterparts.

With how 7&8 are going I really hope they do more spin-offs trike revelations 1 & 2; Claire really shined in that and a great way to reintroduce certain characters they haven't been seen in awhile.

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
Bit of a weird thing to say when

Re1 shared mc spot between Jill and Chris
Re2 shared mc spot between Claire and Leon and Ada as extra
Re3 had Jill as the mc with Carlos as extra
Re4 had Leon as mc with Ada as extra in her sidestory
Re5 had Chris and Sheva
Re6 had Leon/Helena, Jake/Sherry, Ada's solo story and only Chris/Piers as a all male duo
Revelations had Jill
Revelations 2 had Claire and later Barry each with someone tagging along
Re0 has Rebecca and Billy
Code Veronica has Claire

Re games without female characters weren't really a thing only Re4 really stands out with Ada only being a side character.. that is until now where for whatever reason its Ethan out of all characters to get to be the mc in 2 Re game back to back when it only happened before with Chris in 5 and 6 because Re6 had multiple teams in the story. Its so crazy to me that freaking Ethan out of all characters gets 2 solo games

Yeah I don't understand the complaint at all, people just want more and more i guess.

Oct 25, 2017
resident evil 0 - Rebecca
resident evil 1 - jill
Resident evil 2 - claire
Resident evil 3 - jill
Resident evil CV - claire
Resident evil 5 - sheva
Resident evil 6 - Helena, sherry, ada
Resident evil revelations - jill
Resident evil revelations 2 - Claire

plus ada in re4 and Mia in re7 as side stories.

what the fuck is this thread.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
Resident Evil games with playable female

Resident Evil 0
Resident Evil
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3
Resident Evil Code: Veronica
Resident Evil: Revelations
Resident Evil 5
Resident Evil Revelations 2
Resident Evil 6

Resident Evil 4: Separate Ways
Resident Evil 7

Resident Evil really isn't a series to bring up playable female characters in a bad light. In fact, it's one of the best series of all time but giving limelight to the women.

TrafficCoen

The Fallen
Feb 22, 2019
I just want to point out, Sheva didn't even exist until Capcom saw the response to the initial reveal of RE5 with Chris shooting his way through a crowd in a black African village.

So RE5 might have been the second game in a row without a female main protag (I know theres a bonus campaign with Ada in 4)

Drwu

Aug 23, 2018
I'd say all things considered capcom does an all right job with female representation in resident evil. Not to say it couldn't be better. The series really struggles with and quite famously so with poc representations more then anything.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I agree with you on Sheva, since she is really there just for co-op and the "partnership" theme. RE5 is really Chris + Wesker + Jill story. But Helena was basically the reason things were happening in chapters 1 & 2 in RE6 (up until you kill Deborah, then she is put aside and the game focuses more on Leon & Ada), and Sherry is as much the protagonist of her scenario as Jake is until the very end of the game.
Just because they're a key part of the story (at one point) doesn't mean they're the protagonist, otherwise you may as well argue that Ashley was one in RE4. From what I remember of RE6's incredibly dumb story, Leon's campaign was all about Leon and Helena was a mystery until her story is fleshed out from Leon's perspective. The Sherry argument I'm more lenient on, which is why I specifically said 'even Sherry' but I just come back to how that campaign is focused around Jake.

Resident Evil 0
Resident Evil
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3
Resident Evil 5
Resident Evil 6

Resident Evil 7

Resident Evil really isn't a series to bring up playable female characters in a bad light. In fact, it's one of the best series of all time but giving limelight to the women.
Why do people keep posting this misleading bullshit? Did you even read the OP? If you're listing games from 15+ years ago, you're completely missing the point. The argument is that RE used to be a lot better with their female characters in their mainline games, whereas now they're relegated to sidekicks and lower budget spinoffs.

Also, if you're going to include RE7 (lol) then you may as well include RE4's 5 minute Ashley segment.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
Just because they're a key part of the story (at one point) doesn't mean they're the protagonist, otherwise you may as well argue that Ashley was one in RE4. From what I remember of RE6's incredibly dumb story, Leon's campaign was all about Leon and Helena was a mystery until her story is fleshed out from Leon's perspective. The Sherry argument I'm more lenient on, which is why I specifically said 'even Sherry' but I just come back to how that campaign is focused around Jake.

Why do people keep posting this misleading bullshit? Did you even read the OP? If you're listing games from 15+ years ago, you're completely missing the point. The argument is that RE used to be a lot better with their female characters in their mainline games, whereas now they're relegated to sidekicks and lower budget spinoffs.

Also, if you're going to include RE7 (lol) then you may as well include RE4's 5 minute Ashley segment.

I think you're being overly sensitive and trying too hard here.

Both Revelations games from last gen star a female.

Both remakes from last gen star a female.

RE7 was the only numbered game from last gen so obviously entries 0-6 will be mentioned.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I hope Revs 3 includes women we haven't seen in a while like Sheva or Rebecca or Alyssa, but yeah we really need more of them in the mainline series, its a shame 5-6-7-8 has been almost entirely focused on the men, to the point where Jake's RE6 campaign really should've been Sherry's campaign. It's been only Revs 1 & 2 that had Jill and Claire front and centre, minus the remakes.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017

Both Revelations games from last gen star a female.

Both remakes from last gen star a female.

RE7 was the only numbered game from last gen so obviously entries 0-6 will be mentioned.
Nah, I just think it's a complete joke how people keep using a couple of low budget spinoffs (one of which was a 3DS game FFS), a remake of one of the classic games (I'm not giving credit to Capcom for keeping RE2/RE3's protagonists lmao) and pretending Sheva/Helena/Sherry were the cornerstones of RE5/RE6. May as well say that the MCU (pre-BP and CM) had plenty of diversity because Black Widow and War Machine were in prominent roles in Iron Man/Avengers.

As a RE fan since the 90s, this is actually one of my gripes with the current series. Ever since RE4, Capcom's built the series around Chris and Leon to an absurd degree.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
Nah, I just think it's a complete joke how people keep using a couple of low budget spinoffs (one of which was a 3DS game FFS), a remake of one of the classic games (I'm not giving credit to Capcom for keeping RE2/RE3's protagonists lmao) and pretending Sheva/Helena/Sherry were the cornerstones of RE5/RE6. May as well say that the MCU (pre-BP and CM) had plenty of diversity because Black Widow and War Machine were in prominent roles in Iron Man/Avengers.

As a RE fan since the 90s, this is actually one of my gripes with the current series. Ever since RE4, Capcom's built the series around Chris and Leon to an absurd degree.

I disagree entirely.

The 'spin offs' you refer to also helped the series get back on track and were of excellent quality.

Maybe it's you looking down at those entries that is the bigger issue. I personally see them as great horror games starring women.

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Well there was the leaked diversity document in the Capcom leaks which looked very promising for future titles.

If they stick to it they'll be on the right path and we should be getting more women and people of colour characters down the line, and better representations of them too.

Hopefully it doesn't take them long to put it into motion.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
resident evil 0 - Rebecca
resident evil 1 - jill
Resident evil 2 - claire
Resident evil 3 - jill
Resident evil CV - claire
Resident evil 5 - sheva
Resident evil 6 - Helena, sherry, ada
Resident evil revelations - jill
Resident evil revelations 2 - Claire

plus ada in re4 and Mia in re7 as side stories.

what the fuck is this thread.

Resident Evil 0
Resident Evil
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3
Resident Evil 5
Resident Evil 6

Resident Evil 7

Please read my OP. I specifically mentioned sequels after Resident Evil 3: Nemesis. RE0 isn't a sequel. CV and the Revelations series are basically considered spin-offs (even Capcom refers to the numbered titles as the main ones). Also, not just playable women. Protagonists.

Now, why am I separating the spin-offs? In my previous post, I linked with an article where a Capcom producer says the main series is meant for a wider audience while Revelations is for fans. I'm not saying these games are bad, just that they're not meant to get the exposure the numbered series gets. As I said in another post, there's an argument here about having women leading the main series instead of the spin-offs.

To be clear about the difference between playable and protagonists: since RE4, every main story has been centered around white men. It's their story, how they go in and solve the main conflict. I'm not talking about partners or sidekicks. Protagonists of the story. Even when Mia is probably the most important character between her and Ethan, he's the main playable character in RE7, and she is the damsel in distress, just like Ashley was in RE4 and Jill was in RE5.

It's one thing to have women as protagonists in remakes (games they already were to begin with) and a spin-off series. It's something completely different if they are leading the main series and moving the story forward.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I disagree entirely.

The 'spin offs' you refer to also helped the series get back on track and were of excellent quality.

Maybe it's you looking down at those entries that is the bigger issue. I personally see them as great horror games starring women.
lol wat. So it doesn't matter that those games were made on tiny budgets compared to the mainline ones starring dudes, it's all just a matter of "well I liked them so maybe you're the problem." I think you're being overly sensitive and trying too hard here. If all you're going to do is move the goal posts in a weak attempt to defend something that's pretty obvious then you should probably just stop.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I disagree entirely.

Agreed with you 100%.

Also worth remembering that a fair number of RE villains are also women, such as Alexia Ashford, Carla Rhadames, Alex Wesker and Eveline.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England

You're on the verge of a breakdown over this.

Were the budgets of the 2 and 3 remakes high enough to count? These games were released with the hype and marketing of any other 'news' main entry and were basically reimaginings.

Truth is, RE has a fantastic record for female representation and this continued last gen with some fantastic games. As cvxfreak pointed out, there are great female villains in the series as well.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17184

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed with you 100%.

Also worth remembering that a fair number of RE villains are also women, such as Alexia Ashford, Carla Rhadames, Alex Wesker and Eveline.
No one is saying women don't exist in the franchise or the spin-offs are not great. It's a discussion about them being the playable protagonists of the stories on main games (as they're meant for a wider audience), which means we play as women who are directly related to the main conflict and solve it by the end of it.
Were the budgets of the 2 and 3 remakes high enough to count? These games were released with the hype and marketing of any other 'news' main entry and were basically reimaginings.
Once again, remakes don't move the franchise's story forward. Sequels do. Spin-offs do. But then again, spin-offs don't target a wider audience like the main series does.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
No one is saying women don't exist in the franchise or the spin-offs are not great. It's a discussion about them being the playable protagonists of the stories on main games (as they're meant for a wider audience), which means we play as women who are directly related to the main conflict and solve it by the end of it.

You've crafted your requirements in a manner so highly specific that I'm not sure there's really anything I can say that hasn't been said to you already. I disagree entirely with your assertion that remakes and spin-offs somehow matter less.

Once again, remakes don't move the franchise's story forward. Sequels do. Spin-offs do. But then again, spin-offs don't target a wider audience like the main series does.

Why is "moving a story forward" such a stringent requirement here? The Resident Evil plot doesn't linearly move forward; it bounces back and forth between the past and present. Looking at the series in this way is, at best, highly selective and flawed.

RE0 may have been a prequel, but it easily had the highest development budget of an RE game until RE5 came out. Yes, it was an even more expensive game to develop than RE4.

RE4, by intentional design, had a story that was not meant to matter at all. RE3 originated as a spinoff.

CODE: Veronica, a game you disregarded in an earlier post, has one of the most important plot lines in the entire series, Claire has 65% of the playtime in that title and Alexia is the primary villain. The only reason it had no number was because it was a non-PlayStation title, not because Capcom considered Claire unimportant.

Revelations had Jill playable for 75% of the story. Revelations 2 had 3 out of 4 protagonists as women, which is a very high ratio for series standards. Both games had women as primary antagonists. These titles matter just as much as the numbered RE games do in terms of the integrity and legitimacy of the products. Revelations outranked two counterparts (ORC and RE6) in 2012, and Revelations had more bearing towards Capcom's post-2012 direction with RE than RE6 did.

I think RE5 did a great job keeping things balanced. It was Chris' story, sure, but Sheva and Jill were easily part of what made the entire game so memorable.

RE6 isn't as dire as some have asserted here, either. Helena, Sherry and Ada were all important in their own right due to how the plot played out, and had more stake in the plot than Leon, Chris and especially Piers.

RE:3 (the remake) also appears to be retconning certain elements and added a new cliffhanger ending, so even saying it "doesn't move the story forward" might not end up being true.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Really? Huh, go figure. Is that including prototypes and such?

Those ROBOT CGs and high fidelity pre-rendered backgrounds weren't cheap to make. RE0 required tons of outsourced labor; just compare the staff lists of RE0 and any RE before it. Capcom also had high expectations for the game back in the day, so poured a lot into its marketing. The game was also in development from 1998 to late 2002, which was a long time back in the day. RE1, RE2, RE3, CV and REmake all took between 18 and 27 or 28 months.

So, one can say that Capcom bet it all on the game that was only a prequel and starred a female protagonist. RE0 underperformed commercially, paving the way for the transformation of RE4.

The extremely high budget of RE0 paid dividends when they remastered the game for last gen consoles. Visually, it looks fantastic.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17184

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You've crafted your requirements in a manner so highly specific that I'm not sure there's really anything I can say that hasn't been said to you already. I disagree entirely with your assertion that remakes and spin-offs somehow matter less.

Why is "moving a story forward" such a stringent requirement here? The Resident Evil plot doesn't linearly move forward; it bounces back and forth between the past and present. Looking at the series in this way is, at best, highly selective and flawed.

RE0 may have been a prequel, but it easily had the highest development budget of an RE game until RE5 came out. Yes, it was an even more expensive game to develop than RE4.

RE4, by intentional design, had a story that was not meant to matter at all. RE3 originated as a spinoff.

CODE: Veronica, a game you disregarded in an earlier post, has one of the most important plot lines in the entire series, Claire has 65% of the playtime in that title and Alexia is the primary villain. The only reason it had no number was because it was a non-PlayStation title, not because Capcom considered Claire unimportant.

Revelations had Jill playable for 75% of the story. Revelations 2 had 3 out of 4 protagonists as women, which is a very high ratio for series standards. Both games had women as primary antagonists. These titles matter just as much as the numbered RE games do in terms of the integrity and legitimacy of the products. Revelations outranked two counterparts (ORC and RE6) in 2012, and Revelations had more bearing towards Capcom's post-2012 direction with RE than RE6 did.

I think RE5 did a great job keeping things balanced. It was Chris' story, sure, but Sheva and Jill were easily part of what made the entire game so memorable.

RE6 isn't as dire as some have asserted here, either. Helena, Sherry and Ada were all important in their own right due to how the plot played out, and had more stake in the plot than Leon, Chris and especially Piers.

RE:3 (the remake) also appears to be retconning certain elements and added a new cliffhanger ending, so even saying it "doesn't move the story forward" might not end up being true.
I'm not disregarding the spin-offs and remakes at all. I think they're great games, and even praised the characterization of Ada, Claire, and Jill in the OP.

In an earlier post, I linked to an article where a Capcom producer says the main series is meant for a wider audience and the Revelations series is for fans. Even if not intended, it ends up showing: Resident Evil 6 sold around 10 million copies since its release; Resident Evil Revelations sold around 2.4 million; Resident Evil Revelations 2 sold around 2.6 million; Resident Evil 7 sold 7.9 million; Resident Evil 2 sold 7.2 million; Resident Evil 3 sold 2.7 million in less than a year.

Now, to be clear, I'm not measuring success by sales here. It's simply a matter of exposure. If it was solely because of genre, you could argue that people interested in RE7 and RE2 would also be interested in Rev2, but it's not even half of the audience. Meanwhile, RE3 already sold more than both Revelations games in less than a year of its release.

This is why I'm arguing for more women as leads in future sequels to the main series. Because they get the most exposure.

As for Code Veronica, I do agree it's an important title. I hope it gets a remake. But it's often forgotten. Once again, a matter of exposure.

Prequels and remakes do have their value as well, but they're confined into their place in the timeline. We know what will happen after them, even if some elements are retconned. It's not like Raccoon City's fate in RE3R would ever be changed.

The discussion I started here isn't one about not having interesting characters who are women in the franchise. I know there are. I'm expressing a desire to have them as leads in the series that gets most exposure and move the story forward because we can see new things happening and because these awesome women can have the exposure they deserve. Not only the existing ones, but new ones as well - particularly of color.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
In an earlier post, I linked to an article where a Capcom producer says the main series is meant for a wider audience and the Revelations series is for fans. Even if not intended, it ends up showing: Resident Evil 6 sold around 10 million copies since its release; Resident Evil Revelations sold around 2.4 million; Resident Evil Revelations 2 sold around 2.6 million; Resident Evil 7 sold 7.9 million; Resident Evil 2 sold 7.2 million; Resident Evil 3 sold 2.7 million in less than a year.

Now, to be clear, I'm not measuring success by sales here. It's simply a matter of exposure. If it was solely because of genre, you could argue that people interested in RE7 and RE2 would also be interested in Rev2, but it's not even half of the audience. Meanwhile, RE3 already sold more than both Revelations games in less than a year of its release.

It's probable that Resident Evil 2 remake is going to become the best-selling singular title in the series. Internally at Capcom, the remakes occupy that same production pipeline that the Revelations titles did. But they're still important and notable.

It's also worth remembering that RE2 remake was green lit because Revelations 2 did so well. RE2 and Rev 2 have the same director (and Rev 1's director went off to make RE7). In fact, the RE2 remake was Capcom hedging their bets in case RE7's first person focus didn't pan out commercially. That just goes to show how important RE2 remake was as a product for Capcom.

Looking at different example, I personally think Disney's 2019 remakes of Aladdin and The Lion King were very important films when it came to representation of non-white actors and actresses. They were multimillion dollar productions that each grossed over $1 billion in the box office. Do you think them being remakes with known plots somehow detracts from what they've contributed in terms of representation? (Nevermind one's opinions of the quality of the films)

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Black/brown people too.

Jill is the one character out of every character in the series I want to see more of. Her final appearance is RE5 and they pretty much assassinated her character there. I want her to return and slay.
Being a minority in a RE game is a death sentence. Jesus, at least a black and a hispanic surviving wouldn't kill Capcim.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Now, I definitely think the RE series needs to do more with non-white character portrayals. Sheva, Josh and Ada were steps in the right direction (Ada's impressive considering she was in RE2 1998) but there definitely needs to be more of it.

I can't think of a single Asian male character in the series...

OP
OP

Deleted member 17184

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's probable that Resident Evil 2 remake is going to become the best-selling singular title in the series. Internally at Capcom, the remakes occupy that same production pipeline that the Revelations titles did. But they're still important and notable.

It's also worth remembering that RE2 remake was green lit because Revelations 2 did so well. RE2 and Rev 2 have the same director (and Rev 1's director went off to make RE7). In fact, the RE2 remake was Capcom hedging their bets in case RE7's first person focus didn't pan out commercially. That just goes to show how important RE2 remake was as a product for Capcom.

Looking at different example, I personally think Disney's 2019 remakes of Aladdin and The Lion King were very important films when it came to representation of non-white actors and actresses. They were multimillion dollar productions that each grossed over $1 billion in the box office. Do you think them being remakes with known plots somehow detracts from what they've contributed in terms of representation? (Nevermind one's opinions of the quality of the films)
Again, I'm not disregarding the remakes at all. Once again, I point to my OP where I celebrate the characterization of the women in them.

The thing is they're exploring charted territory. My discussion is about women leading the series into new stories. And again (at this point I'm just repeating myself because I'm not sure how I can make this clearer), it's not that spin-offs aren't great, it's just that they don't get the same exposure.

To put it into something as succinct as possible: I want to see more women leading new stories in Resident Evil games that get the 7+ million exposure RE7 got. They deserve that.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
That title...I cosign not referring to women as 'females', but 'female characters' is totally fine lol.

Like imagine someone saying "we need less men characters!" It's silly.

But to answer the question: yes, absolutely. The dudes showing up all the time is lame.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now, I definitely think the RE series needs to do more with non-white character portrayals. Sheva, Josh and Ada were steps in the right direction (Ada's impressive considering she was in RE2 1998) but there definitely needs to be more of it.

It's odd because the game is primarily made by... Asian men

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I don't really get it. Feels like it just excludes the Remake games which sold really well, were highly regarded and strongly promoted by capcom. If it's about exposure, this is it.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: added some corrections below.
-

Looking at just the mainline:

1 was a split
2 was a split
3 was a female lead
4 was a male lead
5 was a male lead
6 was all male -- correction: you select your characters, there are 3 female leads and 4 male leads overall.
7 was a split - correction: a split, but an uneven one with Mia's portion being shorter than Ethan's.

A few female characters relegated to side-kicks, some overly sexualized and racist moments.

The series has better overall representation of the binary genders than many, but it has a lot of issues too.

I'd personally say its overall whiteness and seeming heteronormativity is a bigger issue currently.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 17184

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I don't really get it. Feels like it just excludes the Remake games which sold really well, were highly regarded and strongly promoted by capcom. If it's about exposure, this is it.
The remakes are awesome, but they explore stories we already know - even if they changed or expand parts of it. The appeal of new stories is exactly the unknown. We don't know what will happen in RE8, and that's intriguing.

Do you agree it'd be amazing to see new Resident Evil stories in games that reach 7+ million players? Because that's what I'm saying here.
1 was a split
2 was a split
3 was a female lead
4 was a male lead
5 was a male lead
6 was all male
7 was a split

Lots of female side-kicks, some overly sexualozed and racist moments.

The series has better overall representation of the binary genders than many, but it has a lot of issues too.

I'd personally say its overall whiteness and seeming hetronormality is a bigger issue currently.
Also yes. I would like to see that changed, too.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
They need to stop using Chris and Ethan tbh. When people are asked their favorite re protagonist it's almost always one of the following:
Jill, Leon, Claire

I'd throw in Ada too since she's a favorite, though I don't think she's had a protagonist spot yet.

Shiva too I think is liked. So yeah, let all the ladies get the lead in future games.

Ada's character was so ridiculous by 6 I'd either want a complete reboot of her or nothing at all

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Looking at just the mainline:

1 was a split
2 was a split
3 was a female lead
4 was a male lead
5 was a male lead
6 was all male
7 was a split

Lots of female chaeacters relegated to side-kicks, some overly sexualized and racist moments.

I'd personally say its overall whiteness and seeming hetronormality is a bigger issue currently.

I'd say RE7 had a male lead as well, you play with Mia for what, 20% of the game? It's more than Carlos in RE3 but certainly significantly less than Ethan. Moreover, RE7 is very much Ethan's story, that's why he is the protagonist of RE8...

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The remakes are awesome, but they explore stories we already know - even if they changed or expand parts of it. The appeal of new stories is exactly the unknown. We don't know what will happen in RE8, and that's intriguing.

Do you agree it'd be amazing to see new Resident Evil stories in games that reach 7+ million players? Because that's what I'm saying here.
Yes it would be interesting but it also doesn't feel to me like Capcom is just neglecting them. The remakes also reached millions of players despite not telling a completely new story. Obviously people were still intrigued. I imagine the Netflix show starring Leon and Claire is happening because of the RE2 Remake.

How is 6 all male? Every campaign has dual protagonists and while Chris campaign is all male Ada in turn gets her own solo campaign

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say RE7 had a male lead as well, you play with Mia for what, 20% of the game? It's more than Carlos in RE3 but certainly significantly less than Ethan. Moreover, RE7 is very much Ethan's story, that's why he is the protagonist of RE8...
I'm probably misremembering how long Mia's portion was then, in that case I'd agree.

Oct 27, 2017

I always thought Kendo was supposed to part Japanese but he definitely doesn't look it in the remake...

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yes it would be interesting but it also doesn't feel to me like Capcom is just neglecting them. The remakes also reached millions of players despite not telling a completely new story. Obviously people were still intrigued.

How is 6 all male? Every campaign has dual protagonists and while Chris campaign is all male Ada in turn gets her own solo campaign
Only it you co-op, same as 5. 5 is a male lead too.

Ada campaign is a plus point i overlooked.