• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Note: By sequels, I don't count remakes, but games that move the story forward.

It's baffling to me that, after Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, every mainline sequel to Resident Evil games focused on men as protagonists. There was Sheva in RE5, but she was there as a co-op partner/AI bot, and her characterization was... well, not good. Ashley and Jill were damsels in distress in RE4 and 5. RE6 had three playable campaigns with... three white men.

Meanwhile, Jill and Claire were relegated to protagonists in the spin-off series Revelations. Ethan (another white man) became the next protagonist in the mainline series, once again on a damsel in distress situation with Mia. She's presumably dying at the beginning of RE8, too.

This is especially frustrating because Claire, Ada, and Jill were great characters in the remakes. As much as I love all the recent games since RE7, and I am looking forward to RE8, these women deserve more prominent roles. And while we're on this topic, the series really needs more women of color with good characterization as protagonists. I hope this will happen in future sequels.

I also want to mention that I have no idea if any of these characters show up in RE8 as I don't know anything about the leaks. There are threads to discuss these, so please keep them out of this one.

Oct 27, 2017
Black/brown people too.

Jill is the one character out of every character in the series I want to see more of. Her final appearance is RE5 and they pretty much assassinated her character there. I want her to return and slay.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yes.

Bring back Sheva. Have her face be that of Selamawit Shiferaw.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
Not arguing the OP's point but Revelations was a much better place to be at the time than main series.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Even more baffling is they're leaving that cheerleader/sexy nurse alternate outfit mtx money on the table!

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Mia up here being Umbrella paramilitary and she's relegated to mom who gets a bullet to the head in the trailer. :S

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
It's worth nothing that RE6 had 4 campaigns, not three, and one had Ada as the main protagonist and you left out Code Veronica, which was pretty evenly split between Claire and Chris. Besides that, though, you aren't really wrong.

Labyrinthe

Mar 12, 2018
Funny since i find Claire, Ada, Jill and even Sheva more interesting then the protagonists from their games.

If it wasn't for Ada, Leon would be a jackass.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is pretty disappointing that a series whose first four games had main heroines then basically gave up on that with every successive main title.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Claire was the protag again in Revelations 2. It's better than most of the recent mainline games anyway :P

Oct 20, 2018
It's a friggin shame that they have Ethan in another game with him being a new character and leave others in the dust. I really want a woman protagonist that isn't you know in a side game

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Since RE8 now was Rev3 for a while, it stands to reason that the current RE9 was 8 for a while. And between 2 & 3's remakes, I wouldn't be surprised if they were setting the stage for Jill returning to the spotlight in RE9 (Leon as well, but he hasn't been gone for as long).

So yeah, I 100% agree with you, OP. In particular, we need more PoC main characters such as Sheva taking the lead. Though given Capcom's leaked internal push to do better with regards to gender & ethnic diversity, we may see these changes in the not-too-distant future.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Note: By sequels, I don't count remakes, but games that move the story forward.

It's baffling to me that, after Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, every mainline sequel to Resident Evil games focused on men as protagonists.

Rebecca in RE0 and Claire in code Veronica? Both are mainline titles.

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
They need to stop using Chris and Ethan tbh. When people are asked their favorite re protagonist it's almost always one of the following:
Jill, Leon, Claire

I'd throw in Ada too since she's a favorite, though I don't think she's had a protagonist spot yet.

Shiva too I think is liked. So yeah, let all the ladies get the lead in future games.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
They need to stop using Chris and Ethan tbh. When people are asked their favorite re protagonist it's almost always one of the following:
Jill, Leon, Claire

I'd throw in Ada too since she's a favorite, though I don't think she's had a protagonist spot yet.

Sheva too I think is liked. So yeah, let all the ladies get the lead in future games.
I could legit see RE8 being Chris' last game, especially with how the initial trailer teased that "His story ends here" or something like that.

akilshohen

Dec 8, 2017
Half or most of the playable women have been out color... If you count one of Jill's boo's saying she's half Japanese as Canon and the fact that Rebecca's last appearances being based on
Ayumi Hamasaki.

The series really does need more playable women however. I'll take Ethan as the MC once more this last time, since RE8 was supposedly Revelations 3 at first, but I'd like a female protagonist in the next one.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Black/brown people too.
Absolutely!
Mia up here being Umbrella paramilitary and she's relegated to mom who gets a bullet to the head in the trailer. :S
I know, right? It'd be amazing if she had her chance, too.
It's worth nothing that RE6 had 4 campaigns, not three, and one had Ada as the main protagonist and you left out Code Veronica, which was pretty evenly split between Claire and Chris. Besides that, though, you aren't really wrong.
Yeah, in a way Ada was also playable in RE4. Code Veronica seems somehow between a mainline entry and a spin-off, as it's often forgotten by Capcom. But I do agree it needs to be highlighted more often.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I've already said this, Jill was an accident. If you look at the main RE titles (besides RE3), their primary protagonists have all been male characters. I guess you could also say REmake is an exception, but that's also part of the accident.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Ada Wong game
Ada Wong game
Give me an Ada Wong game
I've waited long enough. It's time, Capcom.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Jill, Leon, Claire
Chris is very popular, and has a very large queer fan base, so let's not write him off so flippantly.

Alternatively, Ethan is a nothingburger.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Jill and Claire are amazing in the remakes so I agree. Bring back Sheva and give her a personality this time too.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Imagine making a nothing character like Ethan the protagonist of two mainline games

Bring Back Sherry/literally anyone else from the girls

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Big Capcom hate Jill for some reason. They went all the effort to make her great in Remake and then gave us 2 hours of game to use her in.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I played through RE6 co-op and I was Helena and Sherry in those respective campaigns so I didn't even realize this was a problem with this game. Does the game make you use the dudes only in single player?

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil is not only unusual here among video games but it's also sort of broken its own pattern. It sort of had two different groups of heroes, one for the even-numbered games (Leon, Claire, Sherry, Ada, etc.) and one for the odd-numbered (Chris, Jill, etc.). RE6 made a big deal out of kinda breaking that by making Chris and Leon meet for the first time, and now 7 and 8 are soft-rebooting things by having Ethan (and Chris) twice in a row.

Capcom doesn't seem to know what to do with the original heroines because all the characters have been aging in real time. Being a Japanese franchise, it has a real Logan's Run issue with its women. That's not even getting started on its women of color.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
One of the silver linings, at least with RE7, is that even though it does have a male lead, you do still play as Mia for a pretty major chunk of the game, and RE7 has a LOT of very important female characters (RE8 looks to be similar in this regard).

Moira, as much as Sheva, deserves to return. She's the best RE character introduced in the series since probably RE2. Revelations 2 deserves a LOT more recognition and spotlight, and a lot more credit. It's hella low budget but is an absolute slam dunk.

And is better than all the RE games that have come out after it.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I suspect that might be misdirection, but putting it in the trailer isn't a good look. Folks are rightfully perturbed by fridging, so to see it as an aspect of a game's marketing seems a little tone deaf.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I've already said this, Jill was an accident. If you look at the main RE titles (besides RE3), their primary protagonists have all been male characters. I guess you could also say REmake is an exception, but that's also part of the accident.

Jill was in the first game in the same capacity as the remake, and Claire and Leon were split evenly in the second game. So, no, this is nonsense.

Absolutely!

I know, right? It'd be amazing if she had her chance, too.

Yeah, in a way Ada was also playable in RE4. Code Veronica seems somehow between a mainline entry and a spin-off, as it's often forgotten by Capcom. But I do agree it needs to be highlighted more often.

Yeah, but Ada was just a side-story in RE4. Her campaign in RE6 was a full campaign as long as all the others. You did have to unlock it in the original release for story reasons, but they patched that relatively quickly and all later re-releases had it unlocked from the beginning.

Rebecca is also the main character in Zero, I forgot to mention, but no one cares aboutthat.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Bit of a weird thing to say when

Re1 shared mc spot between Jill and Chris
Re2 shared mc spot between Claire and Leon and Ada as extra
Re3 had Jill as the mc with Carlos as extra
Re4 had Leon as mc with Ada as extra in her sidestory
Re5 had Chris and Sheva
Re6 had Leon/Helena, Jake/Sherry, Ada's solo story and only Chris/Piers as a all male duo
Revelations had Jill
Revelations 2 had Claire and later Barry each with someone tagging along
Re0 has Rebecca and Billy
Code Veronica has Claire

Re games without female characters weren't really a thing only Re4 really stands out with Ada only being a side character.. that is until now where for whatever reason its Ethan out of all characters to get to be the mc in 2 Re game back to back when it only happened before with Chris in 5 and 6 because Re6 had multiple teams in the story. Its so crazy to me that freaking Ethan out of all characters gets 2 solo games

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Erm, didn't RE6 have 3 playable female characters?

Helena, Sherry and Ada?

It did, but the default for Sherry and Helena was Jake and Leon, respectively, and as the story goes on the men become more and more of the focal point. Most people consider them the side characters in those stories, though a lot of people ended up way more interested in Sherry and her arch than Jake by a mile.

BloodRayne

Jul 3, 2020
It did, but the default for Sherry and Helena was Jake and Leon, respectively, and as the story goes on the men become more and more of the focal point. Most people consider them the side characters in those stories, though a lot of people ended up way more interested in Sherry and her arch than Jake by a mile.

To me Sherry was the main character in that story. She has motivation and moves the plot forward. Jake is a passive character, he doesn't have much going on.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Eh, I don't really agree here. I think Resident Evil does alright in this regard. 7 and 8 stand out a bit now Ethan seems to be the main guy going forward but before that it's been a pretty even split with having a male and female combo each time, and then 3 being just Jill and 4 being just Leon. Also RE6 had 4 campaigns, not 3. Leon/Helena, Chris/Piers, Sherry/Jake, and Ada. I think you forgot about Ada, since that makes it a 50/50 split. And then the Revelation series starred Jill and Claire.

It's only 7 and 8 that have kind of broken the chain now by sticking with Ethan.

Last edited: