• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
Imagine a thread where shipping a product to 50% of your addressable audience* in a week was seen as a poor performance.

*as I understand it about 5m people finished MHW, and since that's a requirement to buy this expansion the total market for this game is 5m

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
YuF9CPW.png

/jk

Iceborne is worth the price of a full game TBH.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
No large dev would put out a sales update this quick without being happy/confident in the numbers.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Curious what other game/expansion metrics are you comparing it to?

I've already gotten schooled on this by Zhuge elsewhere on these details, so I'd just say I made a stupid post having completely both mis-stated what I was even thinking at the time (which had to do with FY reads) but also not really thinking well enough on how expansion sell in general, both of which have been corrected.

Egg on my face.

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's much higher than I would have expected. Most people don't even finish games let alone buy expansions. Good stuff, Capcom!

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
Thats pretty amazing congrats capcom! I doubt there are many expansions that sell this high and these are just 1st week numbers.

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
Great numbers. This expansion should still keep moving copies going forward and the PC version will also be huge. Even those of us who believed in this game from the start couldn't have seen this coming(except that one analyst lol). Considering the turn the thread has already taken, maybe we'll get a few more of the Media Create crew to tell everyone how bad these numbers are. So bad that Capcom themselves are proclaiming them.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Pretty fantastic numbers. With Capcom's total number of new releases being way down, Monster Hunter World 2 is really poised to get the Destiny treatment next gen. The recurring revenue that game is going to generate is gonna be insane.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Absolutly phenominal on capcoms end. It's seriously amazing just how well this title resonated with people this time around. Can't wait to see what Capcom does next with this game!

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
You sell 2.5 million of anything in a week, you are doing something right. MHW is the gift that keeps on giving for Capcom.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Avatar shaming.
That's terrible retention (and/or awareness of the release) unless it picks up rapidly, but you'd think an expansion would be far more front-loaded.

No that's everything.

It's always the people with Nintendo avatars that are trying to downplay anything related to MHW's sucess the most.

Always.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
Pc version in jan so they are bound to be able to show great numbers till the end of their fiscal year as pc will give a good boost again in jan.

Arynio

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think these sales are particularly great either, especially if Dengeki's 1.25M estimate for Japan is accurate. Iceborne should probably be much more frontloaded than MHW.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yea my bad. Only went of their earlier posts. But this shit happens far too often in MH threads.

I've edited my post to make it more clear I was being stupid, but I left the stupid comment up so that its at least available for people to laugh at me.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
Haven't bought it yet, I'm finding it very hard to return to games after I've moved on lately.

Lyonaz

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gonna buy the expansion later this month, great news on the salesnumbers.
Remember the days when people laughed when Capcom said they could sell 10 million.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Very good numbers. Monster Hunter World and now Iceborne continue to impress. Well deserved! :)

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Those numbers seem pretty good for an expansion. I mean, those are close to some mainline MH numbers from before MHW, so that's quite something.

It's always the people with Nintendo avatars that are trying to downplay anything related to MHW's sucess the most.

Always.
Luckily your comment helps the discussion in a meaningful way and isn't inflammatory at all. Well played!

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
This would be almost double if they weren't so stupidly keen on delaying pc version.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna buy the expansion later this month, great news on the salesnumbers.
Remember the days when people laughed when Capcom said they could sell 10 million.

Honestly I think Capcom said they just expected 5m or something. Not sure if that was for launch or entire year expectations.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I'll leave it up for posterity but suffice, I was being stupid:

That's terrible retention (and/or awareness of the release) unless it picks up rapidly, but you'd think an expansion would be far more front-loaded.

No that's everything.

That's the same argument idiots use to say "well x game sold 10 million units but on a console of 100 million units that's a failure!"

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
This is incredible.

I don't know if we've ever gotten expansion sales numbers this impressive just one week after release.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
This is incredible.

I don't know if we've ever gotten expansion sales numbers this impressive just one week after release.
Probably Reaper of Souls. According to Google it sold 2,7 millions in one week. But Diablo 3 is one of the best selling PC games of all time.
And Iceborne is not out on PC yet. So makes this sales even more impressive.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Hope there will be a time down the line where MH sales thread don't immediately turn into some corny catfight.

Fact is MHW did very well - so did expansions last generation on 3DS. People love to downplay the 3DS numbers because MHW was massive, but the number of MH games Capcom sold last gen was pretty high as well.
That's the same argument idiots use to say "well x game sold 10 million units but on a console of 100 million units that's a failure!"
He already admitted that he was off....I think it's okay to let that one go now xD