• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Capcom and Square Enix have joined a growing number of companies canceling plans for PAX East in the midst of the spread of COVID-19 (known as "novel coronavirus").

Square Enix specifically cited the novel coronavirus as the reason for its absence in an announcement today. The publisher said it would scale back its panel appearances, signing sessions, and fan gatherings as its team coming from the Japan office would no longer be traveling.

Capcom said in a tweet that while it would be continuing its planned Monster Hunter: Festa event in Boston during PAX East, the developers from the Monster Hunter team would no longer be attending as originally planned. Capcom did not specify whether or not the cancelation was novel coronavirus-related. GamesIndustry.biz has reached out to the publisher for comment.

edit:

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird, 2020 should be a huge year for PAX where every major dev is showing off stuff for the next gen to the public, just like 2013. Instead, it's looking to be a huge dry spell.

jman0625

One Winged Slayer
Dec 18, 2017
Is this on top of the cancelled FF14 panels and boothes, is FF7 still there?

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Is this on top of the cancelled FF14 panels and boothes, is FF7 still there?

FF7 was on Sony's booth, so not anymore.

It's weird, 2020 should be a huge year for PAX where every major dev is showing off stuff for the next gen to the public, just like 2013. Instead, it's looking to be a huge dry spell.

Maybe there's like a global outbreak and companies don't want to make people travel but, instead, reduce their chances of getting infected.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
To put things into more perspective:

gulfnews.com

List of events cancelled due to coronavirus grows

Examinations, fashion shows and trade exhibitions put off as world battles COVID-19
www.sfchronicle.com

Coronavirus: Major tech event canceled as Bay Area companies stay away

The cancellation of Mobile World Congress in Barcelona due to coronavirus concerns raised...
www.businessinsider.com

The world's biggest smartphone conference was just canceled because of coronavirus concerns

Mobile World Congress, or MWC, was going to proceed because there were still 2,800 exhibitors. Now it's being canceled.

Is PAX East ground zero of the coronavirus or what
With people from all over the world attending and being contained in a small space with minimum hygiene, it's the perfect breeding ground for the virus.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Wait did this just happen or are they talking about how both companies scaled back previous plans?

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if coronavirus will still be a thing during the Olympics. I think SARS died down around June 2003, but COVID seems to be much more widespread.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
I guess it all depends on what you want to see. Nothing I had scheduled in has changed, and while I was curious about FFVII I know I'll be getting hit with more than enough promo information that it's not a huge loss. I mean sure, I'm looking forward to Doom Eternal, but things like Moncage, Minute of Islands, Paper Beasts, or The Falconeer are things I won't have thrown at me from 500 directions all at once.

-edit- And reading the initial article, it looks like they're referencing the Final Fantasy XIV announcement of a few days ago. I don't see any changes to the current plan.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As far as I can tell these are both days-old stories from last week, somehow spun into this week's news by GamesIndustry.biz's willful misrepresentation of the facts. Capcom announced that the Monster Hunter dev team will not be there, and Square said the FFXIV team will not be there.

Squaresoft will still have a booth and the FF7 demo. Capcom was never actually a part of PAX East I don't think (as in, they never bought a booth or intended to have any presence at the show proper).

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprised. I think these things should just be cancelled tbh. I know it sucks to hear, but the safety of people is way more important.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, with the recent news of Korea and Italy, yeah...

This shit is scary, I get the bad feeling this shit will stick to E3.

starblue

Oct 28, 2017
Im kinda scared now, Im coming back to Spain, from Japan...I hope I can come back to my country without any troubles.

Spot778

Sep 1, 2019
I suspect this might not be a question of PAX, I think it would be more that those reps would be able to travel back home without restrictions.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for pointing out who Capcom is

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Inflammatory Joke; Numerous Prior Bans for Inflammatory Commentary
I didnt know Pax East was so east that it was held in Wuhan, China.

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As far as I can tell these are both days-old stories from last week, somehow spun into this week's news by GamesIndustry.biz's willful misrepresentation of the facts. Capcom announced that the Monster Hunter dev team will not be there, and Square said the FFXIV team will not be there.

Squaresoft will still have a booth and the FF7 demo. Capcom was never actually a part of PAX East I don't think (as in, they never bought a booth or intended to have any presence at the show proper).
This. They both announced this the day after Sony.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
This Corona hittin different

giphy-downsized.gif

Eriol

Oct 27, 2017
Santiago, Chile
Square is just not moving people from FFXIV to PAX, so the panels and some activites are cancelled, everything else is still up there, also that was know some days ago.

Avada Kedavra

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
Disneyland isn't going to close down prematurely, just like PAX isn't closing. This is the equivalent of park attendees choosing not to go to Disney, as many of my friends with annual passes have done.
So let people decide if they want to go to PAX or not?
I don't understand why the responsibility befalls game companies.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
So are theme parks like Disneyland and Universal Studios and you don't seem them doing anything.
They actually do. Some are closed, and some others are implementing heavy precautionary measures (like no hugging and handshaking, etc).

insidethemagic.net

Tokyo Disney Requests Sick Guests to Avoid Visiting the Parks Because of Coronavirus

Here are the latest updates regarding how Disney Parks in China, Japan, and Hong Kong are being affected by the Coronavirus outbreak.

Avada Kedavra

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
They actually do. Some are closed, and some others are implementing heavy precautionary measures (like no hugging and handshaking, etc).

insidethemagic.net

Tokyo Disney Requests Sick Guests to Avoid Visiting the Parks Because of Coronavirus

Here are the latest updates regarding how Disney Parks in China, Japan, and Hong Kong are being affected by the Coronavirus outbreak.
Well yes of course theme parks in Asia but we're talking about North America here.

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
Is PAX East ground zero of the coronavirus or what

You don't want international travelers coming from countries with potential outbreaks to all congregate and infect a large pool of international attendees in a single location. It's the reason why events are being canceled all over. It has nothing to do with PAX East or it's location.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
As someone from Boston, I hate this

but understand why they had to do this :c