• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Well they did say they wanted PC to be their main platform in future.

Exactly, and it's showing why they should do that. When you make better games and better ports on PC, you will get a lot more positive attention. Also, making the PC version is a bit more difficult considering the different hardware and software involved in making sure it works on multiple types of systems. So start with the hard one and adjust from there for consoles and other services.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
They released 1 game in that previous year.

April 2020 - March 2021
-Resident Evil 3 Remake

April 2021 - March 2022
- Resident Evil Village
- Capcom Arcade Stadium
- Ghost 'n Goblins Resurrection
- Monster Hunter Stories 2
- The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles
- Monster Hunter Rise

https://store.steampowered.com/sear...DESC&category1=998&publisher=CAPCOM+Co.,+Ltd.

Looking at the lineup, only 65% increase in sales seems kinda bad.

Arcade Stadium, GnG R and Rise released the same FY as RE:3.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
They released 1 game in that previous year.

April 2020 - March 2021
-Resident Evil 3 Remake

April 2021 - March 2022
- Resident Evil Village
- Capcom Arcade Stadium
- Ghost 'n Goblins Resurrection
- Monster Hunter Stories 2
- The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles
- Monster Hunter Rise

https://store.steampowered.com/sear...DESC&category1=998&publisher=CAPCOM+Co.,+Ltd.

Looking at the lineup, only 65% increase in sales seems kinda bad.
Especially once you consider Village + Rise probably carried most of those numbers.

Arcade Stadium, GnG R and Rise released the same FY as RE:3.
They're referring to the steam release.

JoanneAlley

alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2022
Why people here saying Capcom PC port is disaster?

From RE2Make to DMC5 their port been great at release dates.

Now idk what happened to their trouble with new graphic features that make them wack, but its more recent thingie
the new "upgraded" versions of Resident Evil games are a mixed bag at best, and Capcom does have a annoying habit of having certain upgrades/content be exclusive to consoles (like VR versions, or things like PC not getting DmC Definitive Edition, or DMC 5 not getting raytracing/turbo mode / legendary knight mode

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
You think FF XIV flounders on pc? Don't know why many see the need to derail this great capcom news thread into something about Square Enix
14 is the exception and took years to turn around. I mention it because it goes to show how much people still want big Japanese titles, especially on PC. And yet SE completely fucks it up outside of 14.

Altezein

User requested ban
Banned
Mar 21, 2021
Buenos Aires, Argentina
14 is the exception and took years to turn around. I mention it because it goes to show how much people still want big Japanese titles, especially on PC. And yet SE completely fucks it up outside of 14.
I think people are overreaching a lot based on the KH and FF7 EGS deals. I get it, big games, but it's not everything SE does. Many other titles go directly into Steam... including 2022 titles Forspoken, Harvestella, Star Ocean 6, Crisis Core Reunion and Diofield Chronicles. Other recent ones like Nier Replicant, Braverly Default 2, FF Pixel Remasters, Babylons Fall (yuck), Legend of Mana, etc... all directly to Steam. Bad ports? Yeah Capcom does that too. Regional pricing? No no for both. Not trying to say everything Square does is great, but I just listed like 10 2021-2022 Steam games and people act like they don't exist.

Last edited:

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile I've decided to not buy a single Capcom game until they fix their regional prices.

I know third world countries are a minority of sales and Capcom doesn't care about us but fuck off.

Connope

Mar 6, 2022
Of course they're going to have a huge increase in sales on Steam the first time they release a "new" Ace Attorney game on Steam. Now release all the other old ones, the one remaining old "new" one, and some actual new ones!

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
I think people are overreaching a lot based on the KH and FF7 EGS deals. I get it, big games, but it's not everything SE does. Many other titles go directly into Steam... including 2022 titles Forspoken, Harvestella, Star Ocean 6, Crisis Core Reunion and Diofield Chronicles. Other recent ones like Nier Replicant, Braverly Default 2, FF Pixel Remasters, Babylons Fall (yuck), Legend of Mana, etc... all directly to Steam. Bad ports? Yeah Capcom does that too. Not trying to say everything they do is great, but I just listed like 10 2021-2022 Steam games and people act like they don't exist.
arguably the biggest JRPG in the world, Final Fantasy, had its latest AAA release peak at a whopping 13K players on Steam. All while the game was discounted

2 years later, three exclusivity deals for the same game, terrible port, awful regional pricing. And same thing is most likely going to happen with FFXVI. Zero efforts about growing the Final Fantasy IP on PC. They can keep chasing those exclusivity checks all they want.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Like what?

Dragon Quest XI S, Builders 2, the FF Pixel Remasters… most of their recent stuff that I've tried on PC works fine. FFVIIR does have stuttering in the slums level, but it's not the world-ending problem some make it out to be. That's really the only big thing that comes to mind.

The Epic exclusive garbage, well that's another story.

Altezein

User requested ban
Banned
Mar 21, 2021
Buenos Aires, Argentina
arguably the biggest JRPG in the world, Final Fantasy, had its latest AAA release peak at a whopping 13K players on Steam. All while the game was discounted
2 years later, three exclusivity deals for the same game, terrible port, awful regional pricing. And same thing is most likely going to happen with FFXVI. Zero efforts about growing the Final Fantasy IP on PC. They can keep chasing those exclusivity checks all they want.
You just prooved my point :P I mentioned FF7 on my post. I also mentioned 10 (actually 15 including FF pixel remasters) other games with no exclusivity deal which you magnificently skipped for some reason. As I said, I get people are angry they got FF7 2 years later. Same happened with XV. But people still act like they Square does nothing else (like you just did)

Last edited:

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
I mentioned FF7 on my post. I also mentioned 10 (actually 15 including FF pixel remasters) other games with no exclusivity deal which you magnificently skipped for some reason. As I said, I get people are angry they got FF7 2 years later. Same happened with XV. But people still act like they do nothing else (which is 100% proven with your reply)
Literally not talking about non Final Fantasy Square Enix stuff but ok. Except X was a timed exclusive on Playstation for one year, peaked at 13K (launched actually exactly a year after the PS release!). XV did not land on PC for over a year and managed to crack a mere 29K peak CCU. XII was also late to PC as well, peaked at 8K. And now FFVII Remake, over 2 years late peaked at 13K. Sure, peak CCUs do not tell the full story but it gives a decent representation of how games do on Steam at launch. And none of these games set the world on fire. This is one of the worlds most popular JRPGs in the world and it's just not popular on PC at all.

All of these Japanese developers and publishers who release their games and day & date on Steam keep seeing staggering positive growth of their IPs every single time they do a new release. Look at how Resident Evil has absolutely exploded on Steam because Capcom started doing day and date for these games years ago. It's paying off, Village was an absolute monster. Next one will be too if it's another great game.

Maybe just maybe this trend if exclusivity and delayed releases is implying something? And now, we got FFXVI will following the similar trend of taking an exclusivity deal. Eventually will launch on Steam after who knows how many different exclusivity deals and then have a smaller peak than a Tales of Arise.

Been proven time and time again games launching day one on Steam have more impact than a delayed / late release. If the double dipper narrative was true, where were there for FFVII Remake on Steam or even EGS? Oh yeah right, not a thing.

Altezein

User requested ban
Banned
Mar 21, 2021
Buenos Aires, Argentina
All of these Japanese developers and publishers who release their games and day & date on Steam keep seeing staggering positive growth of their IPs every single time they do a new release. Look at how Resident Evil has absolutely exploded on Steam because Capcom started doing day and date for these games years ago. It's paying off, Village was an absolute monster. Next one will be too if it's another great game.

Maybe just maybe this trend if exclusivity and delayed releases is implying something? And now, we got FFXVI will following the similar trend of taking an exclusivity deal. Eventually will launch on Steam after who knows how many different exclusivity deals and then have a smaller peak than a Tales of Arise.

Been proven time and time again games launching day one on Steam have more impact than a delayed / late release. If the double dipper narrative was true, where were there for FFVII Remake on Steam or even EGS? Oh yeah right, not a thing.
I absolutely agree on this. I also wish Square did that with FF, don't get me wrong, it's my favourite franchise and I wish it grew in players instead of Square getting exclusivity money. Still, Square is in fact doing day and date with other franchises though (and other not-main FF titles), so I don't quite get the usual narrative that they must be not making money on PC or things like that, we actually have no data on that. (japanese studios, we all know how the western branch thing panned out, but that was not exclusivity related)

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
I absolutely agree on this. I also wish Square did that with FF, don't get me wrong, it's my favourite franchise and I wish it grew in players instead of Square getting exclusivity money. Still, Square is in fact doing day and date with other franchises though (and other not-main FF titles), so I don't quite get the usual narrative that they must be not making money on PC or things like that, we actually have no data on that. (japanese studios, we all know how the western branch thing panned out, but that was not exclusivity related)
Yup, I am / used to be a huge FF fan. But the way they keep ignoring potential Xbox, Switch and PC fans to chase a quick buck is VERY frustrating. I get Switch might be a bit more difficult to make a AAA FF game for due to hardware limitations but Idk I think a cloud version is better than nothing. I can't speak on behalf of Switch fans however, not my place here lol. All these other Japanese IPs are growing like crazy due to expanding to as many possible platforms as possible. If Persona 6 actually launches multiplaform and does better than a FF game? Oooo boy, that will be an entertaining thread.

But I personally never said Square Enix in my original but said Final Fantasy. Might have said Square Enix in the past but it's not true and I was wrong at that time. It's hard to think of any non FF games that didn't launch on Steam day one. And if there are any, it's countable probably on both my hands. It's just Final Fantasy they keep flubbing and missing out on it's true sales potential.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I bought a ton of Capcom games on Steam during that fiscal year, so I contributed!

OK, so most of them were during sales lol. But I did buy TGAA at launch :P

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I love when publishers and developers are happy with the actual results and they say it crystal clear while a random user in a forum says it's "bad" because...of some reasons lol

Is there a quote from Capcom stating their view on the state of things based on those sales? The info in the OP is purely stats of the sale and the rate of change from previous year without anything stating if Capcom is pleased or displeased with the results.

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe Capcom can start to actually give a shit about their ports then.

Also give us all the content, I'm still mad about we not getting DMCV: SE.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Is there a quote from Capcom stating their view on the state of things based on those sales? The info in the OP is purely stats of the sale and the rate of change from previous year without anything stating if Capcom is pleased or displeased with the results.

https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/pdf/explanation/2021/full/explanation_2021_full_05.pdf is very positive on PC, and the slide in the article talks about how PC is contributing to stable revenue, and that it's a sizable revenue segment.

Sinah

Jun 2, 2022
Well i wish i could afford Sunbreak it costs half of my salary lol, Capcom regional pricing fkn sucks.

Sunbreak not doing too hot in Steam reviews (Mixed). Another technically borked Capcpom game?

From what i read they started using even more aggressive DRM with Sunbreak so this was bound to happen.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, I am / used to be a huge FF fan. But the way they keep ignoring potential Xbox, Switch and PC fans to chase a quick buck is VERY frustrating. I get Switch might be a bit more difficult to make a AAA FF game for due to hardware limitations but Idk I think a cloud version is better than nothing. I can't speak on behalf of Switch fans however, not my place here lol. All these other Japanese IPs are growing like crazy due to expanding to as many possible platforms as possible. If Persona 6 actually launches multiplaform and does better than a FF game? Oooo boy, that will be an entertaining thread.

But I personally never said Square Enix in my original but said Final Fantasy. Might have said Square Enix in the past but it's not true and I was wrong at that time. It's hard to think of any non FF games that didn't launch on Steam day one. And if there are any, it's countable probably on both my hands. It's just Final Fantasy they keep flubbing and missing out on it's true sales potential.
Squenix is fine on switch tho? Ignoring FF and KH they sipport switch very well , including a lot of exclusives or console exclusives, just look at the direct the other day

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
Squenix is fine on switch tho? Ignoring FF and KH they sipport switch very well , including a lot of exclusives or console exclusives, just look at the direct the other day
I'm talking about mainline final fantasy. No FFXV (not pocket), FFVII Remake, FFXIV, FFXII8, 1-6. FFXVI will not be on Switch.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I would begin with the most well liked games, which have a higher change of being big hits. A PSone trilogy bundle seems something that should have happened a long time ago... better yet, release them all.

Right, but CV has already been ported on more modern platforms, and doesn't have essentially competing versions (the remakes). Priority for RE1-3 rn should be PSN, since it would be the quickest and cheapest way.