• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Having never played the original I was generally positive about RE3R but for what I didn't like I just put low value for money compared to RE2R.

I expressed my interest for a new RE1 remake. Am I the only one?, I know it got one back in 2002 but feel they can achieve great things with the mansion in that RE Engine, there's something special about the atmosphere in that game.
I'm in for a RE1 return. I demand Neptune in RE Engine.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
On the note of "Ask for a revival of X franchise that's been dead for over a decade..." I'm cynically thinking that when they read that, they then look at the sales data for Okami HD remaster or whatever, and feed that response into the metaphorical shredder. CVX demands might be taken a little more seriously, since it asks questions about Resident Evil in general.

Like... the actual usefulness in this, to Capcom's eyes, is going to be feeding the 1-5 segments into a spreadsheet and averaging things out. It's bluntly worded, but I'm pretty sure they realize that if a bunch of people rate it low for "faithfulness to RE", then the problem isn't it being too faithful to the original. If the prose bits are read, it's going to be turned into data like, "X amount of people complained about Nemesis", "Y amount of people complained about cut locales", "Z amount really liked Jill", and stuff that they just can't do with a snap of their fingers(like adding in areas that they dropped at the planning stages/never began working on, or doing gore on the level of REmake 2 when it was probably cut because with all the zombies onscreen at once its probably pushing consoles) is going to be filed into the recycle bin. Keep in mind, the point of this survey is probably how they can avoid any bad word of mouth for RE4, not how they can "fix" RE3 (which, to be honest, for me would've been "Just add the clock tower and Mercenaries"--Overall I'm quite happy with the product and don't' mind most of what ended up beign cut or changed).

Last edited:

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
I don't think you can have Nemesis be a persistent stalker like Mr. X, if only because Nemesis can actually catch up to you and has range. Mr. X worked as a stalker (to varying degrees--I didn't really care that much for him or find him particularly scary so much as something that wasted my time because "Well, big guy showed up, have to run in a circle around the RPD to get some breathing room") because he was slow--he was constantly pushing you forward if he saw you but it was fairly easy to shake him. Nemesis can run faster than you can (if he so chooses, admittedly), which means he either has to have more boundaries where he can't chase you, has to be easier to slow down, or has to be a lot more scripted (and they went with an all of the above option, which has its own problems)--or slow him the fuck down and turn him into Mr. X with a new paintjob.
This is exactly what I was expecting of Nemesis tho.

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
Filled it out and I just want more.
RE3: needs clocktower, newspaper building, uptown, gravedigger fights, cemetery, dead factory, park, more Nemesis chases, Jill in the police station, more puzzles...

Resistance: new modes like tower defense death match, survive an onslaught, a Nemesis kills S.T.A.R.S mode, or hell battle royal. Balancing issues for new players versus veterans, new survivors from Outbreak and mercs... New maps, and more characters.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
With these feedbacks, maybe they'll add Mercenaries for 4 Remake, alongside with more faithful remake compared to original, instead of 'cutting contents' of areas/bosses/etc.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
If they REmake the REmake, I think it should have a VR option and an added forrest area. Maybe even having the intro playable.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think you can have Nemesis be a persistent stalker like Mr. X, if only because Nemesis can actually catch up to you and has range. Mr. X worked as a stalker (to varying degrees--I didn't really care that much for him or find him particularly scary so much as something that wasted my time because "Well, big guy showed up, have to run in a circle around the RPD to get some breathing room") because he was slow--he was constantly pushing you forward if he saw you but it was fairly easy to shake him. Nemesis can run faster than you can (if he so chooses, admittedly), which means he either has to have more boundaries where he can't chase you, has to be easier to slow down, or has to be a lot more scripted (and they went with an all of the above option, which has its own problems)--or slow him the fuck down and turn him into Mr. X with a new paintjob.

I think the biggest reason he couldn't be a stalker here is because almost none of the levels are actually designed for it. You need multiple routes and loops, etc, in a level for a stalker, so you can run from them and adjust your plans accordingly. A lot of the original RE3 is designed like that. The RPD in RE2R is designed like that. The only part of RE3R like that is the city streets, which, of course, is the only place he stalks you. You might be able to make it work in the hospital with some of the 2nd floor rooms and the courtyard leap, but the area's too locked off at first for that anyway (I guess they could have had him after Jill when she wakes up and goes for the magnum, but he was already mutated by then).

Of course, the question then becomes when did they decide to not make him a traditional stalker, since they wouldn't have built all the levels and game progression like they did if they'd intended for him to stalk you. For some reason they must have decided as much early on. I do like Nemesis in RE3R to some extent - he is a cool reoccuring threat, dealing with him in some of the chases and forced fights is more cinematic than just running every time you saw him in the original, and I just like his place in the story better here...but he's still shedding his original gameplay purpose. In some ways RE3R Nemesis feels more like RE2 Mr. X, while RE2R Mr. X feels more like RE3 Nemesis. :/

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Done. Basically said that I love it, but the lack of the Mad Jackal mode and the clock tower was disappointing. Also expressed interests in at least adding Mad Jackal as a DLC.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil

You can. In fact, they did accomplish that very feat. I've been playing around the Raccoon City block that was in RE3 while been stalked by Nemesis and he works very well. They needed to iron out some rough patches, particulary his teleportation that is used around too often and sometimes in very illogical ways (they probably didn't even because they didn't have time or saw no need as most people wouldn't never see it) but he works.

They were very smart in how he design his moves. For example, when you're running away from him, it's very rare for him to just start running and punch you in the back. Much more commonly he will either try to grab you with his tantacles and pull Jill towards him, which can be dodged as the attack has a clear telltale or he will do that thing where he pull himself with his tantacles and lands right in front of Jill and then it's 100% up to player skills to be able to upcoming attack or not. Generally when he does run, it's when you're facing him rather than running away and when the latter happens you can clearly listen to the footsteps as he approach and have time to decide what to do. (This does change a little in inferno because of how they messed up with his speed though). On top of that you have a lot of ways to counter him, granades, red barrels and the (rechargeable) eletric generators that stun him. Nemesis would definitely not work in RE2, but in RE3 with Jill's dodge he does.

He obviously shouldn't stalk you the entire game, but he should be there for meaningful amounts of time while you do your things. But there is very little do in RE3 other than move foward. And Nemeis is barely there outside scripted sequences. But the mechanics to support him are there. And they work.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
Really makes you wonder what the heck is wrong with Capcom

FB71DED0C4B69F3A32DF15814BBB0E04AA74E06F

E79CD9432138B13B26916D1E3D4E670ADE3B4E59

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Really makes you wonder what the heck is wrong with Capcom
In a lot of cases I think projects get entrusted to managers with very individual perceptions of what makes the franchise/game good. In this case someone said "This/that isn't necessary for RE3 to be great". It was very telling when the producer of 2 Remake gave his anecdote about how the alligator was suddenly cut out of the production plans, and he had to go and ask the director and designers why they had removed it, and getting told they "didn't want to do it" for whichever reason, and the producer had to supersede their decision to get it back in.

I think huge compromises between the egos at the door are made on a daily basis in these projects.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
I think the biggest reason he couldn't be a stalker here is because almost none of the levels are actually designed for it. You need multiple routes and loops, etc, in a level for a stalker, so you can run from them and adjust your plans accordingly. A lot of the original RE3 is designed like that. The RPD in RE2R is designed like that. The only part of RE3R like that is the city streets, which, of course, is the only place he stalks you. You might be able to make it work in the hospital with some of the 2nd floor rooms and the courtyard leap, but the area's too locked off at first for that anyway (I guess they could have had him after Jill when she wakes up and goes for the magnum, but he was already mutated by then).

Of course, the question then becomes when did they decide to not make him a traditional stalker, since they wouldn't have built all the levels and game progression like they did if they'd intended for him to stalk you. For some reason they must have decided as much early on. I do like Nemesis in RE3R to some extent - he is a cool reoccuring threat, dealing with him in some of the chases and forced fights is more cinematic than just running every time you saw him in the original, and I just like his place in the story better here...but he's still shedding his original gameplay purpose. In some ways RE3R Nemesis feels more like RE2 Mr. X, while RE2R Mr. X feels more like RE3 Nemesis. :/

Eh... he was never a persistant stalker in RE3, he was always scripted, and I don't actually recall there being that many alternate ways of dealing with him outside of live selection choices--it always felt like "Run to the bit where he stops chasing you, taking herbs as needed" until you stockpiled enough ammo to fight him in later encounters (or he's just a weapons piñata on new game plus). The change is... he's scripted to pop up a lot less (and to be honest... while I think he shows up too little in the Remake, I think they kinda overdid it in the original, where at times it feels like good ol' Doom... "yep, soon as I grab the keycard, that wall's gonna slid down and a bunch of imps will fireball me"... to "Yep, solved that puzzle, Nemesis when I exit this room? Yep"), and to not follow you as much (a consequence of lacking a lot of long corridors the original had.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Told them their best combat in this latest batch of games was Chris' Not A Hero DLC and RE2 although there were some horizontal improvements (and regressions) from RE2 to RE3. They're fun games but the enemy interaction (probably the most key factor to good gunplay) needs to be better. Also expressed disappointment in Nemesis 3 & Nemesis 4, his short tenure as a stalker, and his Crash Bandicoot set-pieces. The only factor about the game I gave 5 ("Loved it!") was the replayability.

Oct 27, 2017
In a lot of cases I think projects get entrusted to managers with very individual perceptions of what makes the franchise/game good. In this case someone said "This/that isn't necessary for RE3 to be great". It was very telling when the producer of 2 Remake gave his anecdote about how the alligator was suddenly cut out of the production plans, and he had to go and ask the director and designers why they had removed it, and getting told they "didn't want to do it" for whichever reason, and the producer had to supersede their decision to get it back in.

I think huge compromises between the egos at the door are made on a daily basis in these projects.
That and the ivy being changed says a lot.

Some things just don't need change Caocom.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
They were very smart in how he design his moves. For example, when you're running away from him, it's very rare for him to just start running and punch you in the back.
I have almost the exact opposite experience--I don't think I ever saw the tentacle grab move or him jumping ahead--just him decking Jill in the back of the head (admittedly, I've yet to replay with the goal of just fucking around). It's still pretty dodgeable at least on hardcore.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
I had fun, loved it but let them know my gripes as well.

Fuck multiplayer RE though, stop trying to make it a thing. Co-op campaigns have worked but every multiplayer offering has been shit.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Eh... he was never a persistant stalker in RE3, he was always scripted, and I don't actually recall there being that many alternate ways of dealing with him outside of live selection choices--it always felt like "Run to the bit where he stops chasing you, taking herbs as needed" until you stockpiled enough ammo to fight him in later encounters (or he's just a weapons piñata on new game plus). The change is... he's scripted to pop up a lot less (and to be honest... while I think he shows up too little in the Remake, I think they kinda overdid it in the original, where at times it feels like good ol' Doom... "yep, soon as I grab the keycard, that wall's gonna slid down and a bunch of imps will fireball me"... to "Yep, solved that puzzle, Nemesis when I exit this room? Yep"), and to not follow you as much (a consequence of lacking a lot of long corridors the original had.

The difference in the original is that even though Nemesis relied on showing up at scripted moments (some of which did vary from playthrough to playthrough), the persistence of him being a threat more often is given value because you have actual objectives to accomplish while he's chasing you. You have to collect the necessary items and solve what to do with him as an ever-present menace. The way he forces the player to account for their objective AROUND him as a threat is his importance as a pursuer. Remake Nemesis doesn't impose the same challenge at all, except for when you have to run back to the subway control office, which is a path directed to you explicitly by the game.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
That and the ivy being changed says a lot.
I really think the Ivy is because of rigging. Rigging is expensive for reasons that go beyond my knowledge, and just implementing the human rig and zombies rig, not to mention G-adults and the rest, was big enough, they could repurpose their human rig for the ivies by making them... well, more like zombies. Mass Effect faces the same problem with aliens always being bipedal humanoids in recent games because they can't afford to make new throwaway rigging for just brief encounters with a limited special race of aliens.

I simply think the budgets of current standards don't meet the kind of creative scope the original game had. Just look at Final Fantasy VII. this is a huge problem in AAA production, and I think it might explain why so many games resort to little actual content and lots of padding and collectathon filler nowadays.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil

The change is 20 years of technical progress. Nemesis was a persistant stalker in RE3, but obviously they couldn't accomplish him that in the same way RE2 handled Mr. X, or Alien in Isolation. The result in what matters, and the result in RE3 is that most players felt Nemesis could show up at anytime, anywhere. You constantly felt he was out there. This resulted was also achieved in RE2 with Mr. X, but not in this year's RE3.

Oct 27, 2017
REmake 3 is better than the original. That is my honest opinion. Would I like it to be longer? Yeah. I especially think the city section should have been a bit longer with some more time to have Nemesis stalking you in his first form. That's not really a fault though. That's a "I loved this game and I want more of it". The hyperbole is ridiculous though around what it doesn't have from the original. The original had some of the worst puzzles in any RE game and no one wants to give credit to what this game does better than the original which is damn near everything. The graphics, gameplay, story, characterization, small details. It's all better here. The worst bits of REmake 3 are the parts where it remains entirely faithful to the original like the bombastic action, turning most enemies into a joke and losing it's survival horror bits.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
The worst bits of REmake 3 are the parts where it remains entirely faithful to the original like the bombastic action, turning most enemies into a joke and losing it's survival horror bits.

Funny, that's not being faithful to the original at all. RE3 wasn't about bombastic action, enemies were not turned into a joke and it was a survival horror game through and through.

Deleted member 38706

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 19, 2018
Done, wrote what everyone else thought as well. Hope they actually listen to fan feedback and try not to cut too much from the future remakes.

Oct 27, 2017
I really think the Ivy is because of rigging. Rigging is expensive for reasons that go beyond my knowledge, and just implementing the human rig and zombies rig, not to mention G-adults and the rest, was big enough, they could repurpose their human rig for the ivies by making them... well, more like zombies. Mass Effect faces the same problem with aliens always being bipedal humanoids in recent games because they can't afford to make new throwaway rigging for just brief encounters with a limited special race of aliens.

I simply think the budgets of current standards don't meet the kind of creative scope the original game had. Just look at Final Fantasy VII. this is a huge problem in AAA production, and I think it might explain why so many games resort to little actual content and lots of padding and collectathon filler nowadays.
That does make sense actually. I did get the feeling they were done cause it was easier for them but wasn't sure.

I would take Ivy from the original over the G adults if I had to choose.
Funny, that's not being faithful to the original at all. RE3 wasn't about bombastic action, enemies were not turned into a joke and it was a survival horror game through and through.
This can't be stated enough.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
in terms of "true to the Resident Evil Legacy" question, they did start the survey by asking you which titles you've played before. So they can correlate your answers along those 2 questions to try to figure out what you consider "the legacy".

In my case it were only the remakes of 1 and 2, so in terms of being "faithful" it was a 3.- same structure, more action, and focus on combat and linear backtracking.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I did get the feeling they were done cause it was easier for them but wasn't sure.
It is also easier, but in the end that's just it. They had a schedule, a deadline and many risks. Any time you do extra work you risk the polishing phase or finishing the game to slide further down. I think that's why we got Zombie Ivies and not cute plant creatures.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
Meh... I actually kinda liked the Ivy Zombies more than the walking flower versions. My real complaint was there was no giant plant battle there (C'mon, V-Jolt never works. you have to shoot the big dumb flower!).

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
Meh... I actually kinda liked the Ivy Zombies more than the walking flower versions.

I prefer them as well. They're much more dangerous and I found them spookier than the original design.

In RE2 I'd just run past them without paying much mind. In RE2R ignoring them isn't really an option most of the time.

Castor

Oct 29, 2017
New York City
Glad I was able to complain about what I felt were issues in Resistance and actually felt like I was being listened to. I enjoy the game for the most part but there are glaring issues especially for new/casual mastermind players. Also the fact that mastermind is always host is bullshit because they could just throttle their connection for easy wins if they were so inclined. Dedicated servers would be so goddamn nice.

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Thank you for the thread and link AuthenticM. I just filled out the survey.

On the positives I wrote that the overall gameplay is about as good as RE2R as they're so similar. The dodge is a great ability which adds another level to the survivor horror gameplay, while making combat quicker/more fluid. The Hunters and sewer gammas are tense threats. The boss fights are overall really good. And the rewards shop adds alot to the replay value.

On the negatives, I wrote that while 3R is close in quality to 2R, it's lost alot of what made the original 3 so good. The Nemesis as a consistent stalker/threat is much weaker in the remake given how little he's in the game and how little he's in his humanoid form compared to the generic wild animal he becomes later. The awesome quick time decisions that affect which paths you take or how you deal with the Nemesis are gone. Several locations from the original are also gone, and the game as a whole doesn't feel worth the retail price.

I gave it a 7 but 7.5 might be more accurate. A solid game but definitely lacking.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
Done. Asked for Code Veronica and Dino Crisis remakes.
Lol same. But i asked them to remake 0 and re 1 into one full game, they could even change some story beats and deliver true origin of the virus.

Also, i asked them for next coop game.i had so much fucking fun with re 5 in local coop. As dusk has said, capcom listens, so people, let them hear you.

crpj31

Dec 13, 2017
I liked that the game was shorter than 2. With that said I asked for Code Veronica and then a original game that fill the gaps between 3 and 4.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
Oh please, OG RE3 is most certainly more action packed than any previous RE and you know it.

Of course I know it. RE2 was more action oriented than RE1 and RE3 was more action oriented than RE2. It wasn't a bombastic action game however, far, far from it. And REmake 3 doesn't become one either, although Carlos' alternative for the dodge and some of his segments were too focused on combat, REmake 3 still tries to be a survival horror game. The problem is is that differently from the original RE3, the survival horror aspects of REmake 3 are extremely underdeveloped and very poor.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I used the section at the end to ask for updates to RE2R (2nd run updates), RE3 (additional scenario with new city areas added), an official item randomizer for both games, RE4 Remake that's faithful to RE4 and uses Spanish VAs for the Ganados, CVX Remake that matches the tone of RE2R, RE0 Remake, and RE1 Remake (again), and an HD version of The Mercenaries 3D.

And more post-game content like the Hot Dogger. I used every character space available. lol

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
Done. Was kind, respectful etc. Made damn sure to let them know most fans are also dying for a Code Veronica Remake. If you ever needed a platform to voice that opinion, perfect opportunity.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks. I really enjoyed RE3, but Resistance is a pile of garbage. Played it once and had to delete it.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
It is nice to read that many people share my opinion that there should be expanded director's cut versions of REmake2 and R3make. They are very good games, but extended/fixed scenarios and maybe some ray tracing instead if that god-awful screenspace reflection solution would be worth 60 bucks again from me for next-gen consoles. These games have a special place in my heart. Too bad I forgot to ask for Dino Crisis remake, sorry Jawmuncher (the day will come someday and so will I ;).

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty much told them that their latest RE games(7,2 and 3) are too short and not worth of preordering or buying at launch.
Great games but not for full price imo,at least that was my recurring thought after beating them for the first time.
I had to justify myself by thinking 'well,at least this will send a message to capcom that this is the kind of RE games i want'.
But now i wonder if i was sending a wrong message too.