• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Street Fighter 2
Street Fighter 2 Champion edition
Street Fighter 2 hyper fighting
Street Fighter 2 New Challengers
Super Street Fighter 2: Turbo
Street Fighter Alpha
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Street Fighter 3
Street Fighter 3 second impact
Street Fighter 3 3rd strike
X-men Children of the atom
Marvel super heroes
X-Men vs Street Fighter
Marvel vs Street Fighter
Marvel vs Capcom
Final fight 2
Final fight 3
Alien vs predator
Resident evil
Resident evil 2
Resident evil 3
Breath of fire
Breath of fire 2
Breath of fire 3
Super ghost and ghouls
Darkstalkers
Darkstalkers 2
Darkstalkers 3
Dinocrisis
Too many mega man games to list

This is insane for a span of 10 years to release so much games with so much quality. Sure, some games are just updates of previous games(SF2 champions edition) but still

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom-Sega-Squaresoft-Konami were at their absolute peak. Sadly, those times will never come back.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Yah. Amazing time. The golden age of Japanese developers.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
capcom before the ps3 was my favorite dev. almost every game they made was great.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
It could be said for a bunch of developers of that time. But Capcom was one of my favorites as a kid; 80s-early00s Capcom was amazing to me and even if I knew nothing of a game chances are if it had their logo on the box I was going to love it.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
You forgot the best ones,
  • DuckTales (NES)
  • DuckTales (GB)
  • DuckTales 2 (NES)
  • DuckTales 2 (GB)

Gaiseric

Aug 4, 2019
Those times were so good that they've been mostly living off that legacy for the past 20 years.

There was no fear of taking risks.

Oct 25, 2017
They were very good at reusing assets for a lot of those. The mileage out of that Morrigan sprite alone is just unreal.

sbdesignworks

Nov 2, 2018
Agreed! Their output and quality was insane. I still remember seeing X-Men Children Of The Atom for the 1st time in the arcades as a kid, Amazing stuff!
I create pixel art from time to time and still look back at their illustration and design work for inspiration today.
Capcom and Konami will always be my two favourite gaming companies of all time simply for what thy provided during my childhood.

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
I remember in early nineties I rented everything by Capcom and Konami on NES/SNES/Genesis, EVERYTHING, even if I don't know shit about the games or even if those games were based on a franchise I didn't know or didn't like, because if those games had the Capcom or Konami logo in the cartridge it was a sure bet. They were that good.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Capcom-Sega-Squaresoft-Konami were at their absolute peak. Sadly, those times will never come back.
Was going to post this myself. A number of devs were just putting out crazy amounts of quality at the time.
They were very good at reusing assets for a lot of those. The mileage out of that Morrigan sprite alone is just unreal.
Memes aside, this was also part of it. A lot of the games just mentioned here were CPS2 games and had the same teams work on them, no less. SF2 is an odd one, too, because it was CPS1 then CPS2 but when it switched to CPS2 for Super and Super Turbo you could tell which assets were from which hardware.

Capcom in general though, had multiple teams working on multiple games all the time. They were huge and were able to pump out quality because the process was easier and less time consuming than it is now, but also most Japanese devs have a tendency, then and now, to work more efficiently than most Western devs.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Outside of darksiders and the marvel games
Morrigan was only in 2 fighting games that used her ds sprite: capcom vs. Snk 1 and 2
...so thst sprite was used in at least 4 games outside darkstalkers.

Gotta remind me of any other fighters that utilized thay sprite of hers @_@

Cugel

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 7, 2017
Thats true of most "classic" japanese devs at the time

DynamicSushy

Sep 7, 2019
Looking at old Capcom artwork makes me sad. Back then they treated all their franchises as one big family with all their crossover artwork, like how Nintendo has been doing for years.

Nowadays it's more like "big Capcom family but it's really just SF, MH, and RE." And even then it still feels shallow when they crossover.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

A lot of games made back then were a lot shorter and were able to get away with a lot of asset reuse. They could start developing games like that again but they'd be killed by reviewers and fans.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I also want 90s Square, Konami, Sega, Taito and Enix back. And also for Compile, Quintet, Hudson, GameArts, Treasure, Wolfteam and Climax to come back to life.

Last edited:

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
When people say Capcom is back on their game today i tend to disagree with them. I look at Capcom from the 90s and 2000s and its hard for me to give Capcom any credit for the stuff they do now, especially with the amount of franchises Capcom pushed out then.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
As someone who isn't a huge Capcom fan (certainly not a die-hard one) ,their 2000s lineup was way more impressive for me.
REmake
RE4
RE5
DMC
DMC3
DMC4
Onimusha 1-4
Maximo 1 and 2
MvC2
Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2
Okami
SFIV
God Hand
TvC
CvS2
MH Tri
Lost Planet
Dead Rising
Killer 7
Haunting Ground
Mega Man 9
etc.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
nintendo was the only big company that survived the 00s while staying more or less the same. :(

I miss 90s konami/sega/capcom/squaresoft

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
When people say Capcom is back on their game today i tend to disagree with them. I look at Capcom from the 90s and 2000s and its hard for me to give Capcom any credit for the stuff they do now, especially with the amount of franchises Capcom pushed out then.
Exactly. Capcom of today is a shadow of their former self. It's a shame people think they're "back" just because they make games with good graphics (and zero style).

Dark Arisen

Oct 27, 2017
When i was i kid in the late snes/early ps1 era i only needed to see their logo to know that the game was good

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Capcom were just gameplay gods to me from the mid80s to late 2000s. They are still nice but man NOT THAT NICE!!!!

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who isn't a huge Capcom fan (certainly not a die-hard one) ,their 2000s lineup was way more impressive for me.
REmake
RE4
RE5
DMC
DMC3
DMC4
Onimusha 1-4
Maximo 1 and 2
MvC2
Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2
Okami
SFIV
God Hand
TvC
CvS2
MH Tri
Lost Planet
Dead Rising
Killer 7
Haunting Ground
Mega Man 9
etc.

This. They were beasts through the early 2000s. It's why I've never gotten the "Capcom is back!" just because they can make RE remakes, MHW and DMC5. I get the realities of HD gaming taking massively more resources and time, but they've essentially lost a lot of their mid tier/AA series as a result

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
You didn't mention a single Mega Man game

I'm reporting this thread

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Sorry to break it to you, but they're something else in the 2020s too.

CAPCOM IS BACK!

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Their re-use of assets, namely character sprites is something I've come to terms with esp. as everything else (backgrounds, sfx and UI) is distinctively different in a variety of their games.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that was most companies in the '90s, especially those producing content across both arcades and consoles. Just an amazing time!

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Capcom is one of my favorite developers/ publishers for a reason. My love for them all started back then.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, then as is the Japanese custom the vast majority of that talent stopped making games to become management. Its kind of a shame

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
The output of Japanese companies in the 90's was nuts. Swathes of relatively high quality console games to outright classics and arcade games right along with them.

LRB1983

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
PS2 era was even better with a lot of underrated sagas like Shadow of Rome, Haunting Ground, Onimusha, Clock Tower 3, Final Fight, Beat Down, Maximo games, or the ones from CloverStudio Viewtiful Joe, Okami, God Hand, or acclaimed games like Capcom Vs. SNK2, Devil May Cry or odd games (not bad) Gregory Horror Show, Under The Skin and some others.
I still miss mid-tier games from 00s era by a lot of japanese devs, they're were awesome. It was like an amazing creativity explosion.

Oct 27, 2017
REmake
RE4
RE5
DMC
DMC3
DMC4
Onimusha 1-4
Maximo 1 and 2
MvC2
Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2
Okami
SFIV
God Hand
TvC
CvS2
MH Tri
Lost Planet
Dead Rising
Killer 7
Haunting Ground
Mega Man 9
etc.

I'm seeing way more variety here than in the OP, and honestly I like these games more. Capcom during PS2 era was peak Capcom for me.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom was definitely my fave Japanese dev, all the through the PS1 era