• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
Great list of games, great joystick/buttons but dumb hardware design.

If they redesign as a standard home joystick with a single player option for like $100 then I may buy.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Well keeping track of all these kind of consoles and which ones are oficially endorsed and which ones are not it's getting difficult and who is promoting it?

It's pretty clear the Pandora's Boxes are piracy boxes though.

So is stealing fba code without permission for the emulation on the capcom stick.

Yeah, that's a pretty big mistake on Capcom's part if it's accurate, but I'ma wait and see if it was just 1 FBA dev who wasn't in the loop or if Capcom really just somehow....forgot to get permission LOL.

Oct 27, 2017
you don't really even have to talk about piracy...for $250 this is getting into the kind of territory where you are better off just getting a supergun

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
FFS. Ever since last gen I've been hoping to be able to play the outstanding AvP arcade game. I've been dreaming of playing, but now by the look of it the only chance I'll have is to fork out £200 for this.

Fuck. I love AvP but don't love it enough to lay down £200. Hoping Capcom release it on current consoles soon.

Naked Snake

Oct 27, 2017
The hideous design of this thing makes me thing companies should reveal such thing to the public to gauge sentiment before committing to manufacturing... When something like this backfires and you have no recourse, that gonna sting.

And with that price tag... Hell naw

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Seem like it would be interesting if it's hackable to add more capcom games to it. Depending on if the architecture is legit.

Edit: I'm curious if making their own hardware is somewhat of a loophole in order to get around licensing (maybe not as strict as porting some of these titles that we haven't seen yet).

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty clear the Pandora's Boxes are piracy boxes though.

Yeah, that's a pretty big mistake on Capcom's part if it's accurate, but I'ma wait and see if it was just 1 FBA dev who wasn't in the loop or if Capcom really just somehow....forgot to get permission LOL.
Pretty hilarious that capcom tries to compete in a market filled with piracy using a device with pirated code lol.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
First time AvP for home consoles. I NEED THIS FOR DIGITAL ON CONSOLES....

Ruu

Oct 28, 2017
If the stick quality is good then the price isn't the worst but holy shit that design is terrible. I'm getting gamecube chainsaw controller flashbacks. It's too big to really put anywhere but its a terrible shape if you wanted to build an arcade cabinet around it.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Hmmmm.... On one hand avp. On the other, that's an odd looking design with the logo. If the price is right, maybe.

I guess we know why hyper fighting isn't on the Arcade 1Up cabs.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Also, I agree the stick design is trash. Who wants to play on a damn logo. Should've been cool old official art from the games in the collection. They have all that shit.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
The design is really goofy but I kind of love it if I'm being completely honest. Price point feels like it's way too high to do well but that's what you get with arcade sticks unfortunately. If the homebrew opportunities are there though this could be really interesting.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
Would it have costed more to... Not have two sticks combined as one? Seems like it'd be a huge pain in the ass to use, not to mention the fact that it's ugly as fuck.

Hell, now that I looks at it they could have just separated the Cap and the Com. That would have actually been kind of cool in a dumb goofy way, but that plus the two in one design makes it a no for me.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Also, I agree the stick design is trash. Who wants to play on a damn logo. Should've been cool old official art from the games in the collection. They have all that shit.
I think the idea behind the shape being so distinct is that with so many unofficial products with classic art from capcom on them existing (most seem to bear sfvlogos) that if they were to compete in the market they needed to stand out and be instantly distinguishable from the knockoffs. Thus a custom capcom logo shaped device.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I'd pay good money to have this on a disc or as a download but I don't have room for something like that for 16 arcade games. I kind of learned my lesson with the NES and SNES mini too. Plug and play boxes are impractical and I'd rather buy the downloads on 3DS/Switch/Wii U.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
lmao at that design. Amazing.

This is way out of my league in terms of price compared to what it offers, but it's a cool product. Hopefully they'll release that set of games as a collection on traditional platforms as well down the line.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
Awesome concept, but the list of games generated a giant MEH from me. That's without talking about the price point. They have literally priced themselves out of a general, mass market audience, and priced themselves into niche status, which is something Capcom would have to have known with such a price point. Hard pass.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I was excited getting this for PS4 for 30€ ...
Then I saw the video and thought "Okay, that's nicer than your usual Mini-Console, might actually get this for 80€".
Then I saw the price ...

I mean sure, at "Sanwa parts" I should have known that this will be expensive as fuck, but come on ...

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
If it can be hacked this could be a really good Arcade emulator.
With that much case real estate I give it an hour after launch and someone will have gutted it and just setup a pi3b board on it. Anything that has a stick gets that done to it these days. Many things that don't too. Hell theres even an altoids console now they shoved a pi zero into it.

Considering its proprietary hardware is running fire burn alpha it likely wouldnt take much to have it reading an sd card these days.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Honestly this is pretty good. I think the expensive parts are the controller itself which I love in its own goofy way. But for an official way to play some of those games that doesn't involve tracking down an old arcade board, like Aliens vs Predator, it's pretty good.

Wish it was a cheaper collection on consoles...

Also I want Chronicles of Mystara, do something about that Capcom.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
With that much case real estate I give it an hour after launch and someone will have gutted it and just setup a pi3b board on it. Anything that has a stick gets that done to it these days. Many things that don't too. Hell theres even an altoids console now they shoved a pi zero into it.

Considering its proprietary hardware is running fire burn alpha it likely wouldnt take much to have it reading an sd card these days.

Yeah, first thing I would do is get rid of that Capcom shell lol.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
No Willow Arcade makes me sad 😞 I'm sure the rights are a nightmare though but that was my favorite Capcom arcade back then.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Quoting myself from the other thread that just got locked.

I already hate future me for buying this. I can't skip the first ever home release of Progear, 1944 The Loop Master, and AvP. Also Capcom Sports club, but that's more of a curiosity.

But only sixteen fucking games, are you kidding me? Neo Geo Mini has FORTY. I understand the stick setup alone is at least $200. I know because I already have several. I don't need anymore arcade sticks. Why couldn't they have just made a goddamn CPS2 mini? Fucking fuck

The game selection is fantastic (except why DS1? Must emulate better or something) but having so few games on this hulking box is awful.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
What hurts is this is the first official product for many of these titles. Progear & AvP were big names that were always tied up in red tape.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I mean... I guess it's a crazy collector item then.. because it's not as convenient as all these Mini System nor as cheap as them... I'm still sad that Alien vs. Predator will continue to be a game mostly inaccessible. Hopefully Capcom still have plans for a collection for all the consoles down the road.

TheOther

Jan 10, 2019
Texas
That's a lot of money for so few games... and that doesn't even touch on it being just a massive CAPCOM logo with buttons and joysticks.

LuigiBlood

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
away from Era
Okay so maybe Capcom is in the clear.

FB Alpha's license may not be valid after all, but then MAME changed the license at one point so it's all about the timing and whether they used more MAME code from after the change...

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Since alien stuff is licensed by Sega on other platforms I assume this is the only real way they could get the game ported. Not that I get why there's such a rush for a licensed game to begin with since well, it's a licensed game (they're often boring), but I'm on board with this. 1944, Mega Man and Puzzle Fighter make this a must own if it's $250 or under over here. People don't seem to realize that high quality stuff like the Hayabusa costs $150-180 for the stick alone...

CrabDust

Nov 16, 2017
That is so fucking ugly. I really don't understand the design decision here. If you're going to charge a premium, look the part at least...

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit what a design. Capcom is making history here with one of the ugliest gaming hardware ever made. And at that price..

Kaede

Dec 27, 2017
The price is not the issue. The issue, is that it's got high end joystick parts which is what you want, but for some reason they've made it look as tacky as possible. Should have just gone with a sleek simple case or something based off the Impress.

Lol at the $100 or no buy posts. You have no real interest in this anyway why bother?

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I am almost in awe at the silliness of the design. That got all the way through the design process with nobody saying "wait what are we even doing?" - it's so ugly it's almost great.

I don't understand the rest of it though. If it's meant to be used as part of a standing cabinet that you build yourself, it's fine, but then it's an utterly niche product. If it's meant to be used on a TV then are they expecting people to run a HDMI cable across their room and sit on a couch uncomfortably close to someone else? If you play single-player are you meant to balance that enormous stick precariously on your lap while somehow using only the left half of it? Or are you meant to construct a special stand just for this device?

Nice idea but this looks visually appalling. How are you meant to see the buttons through the logo??
In fairness anyone who needs to look down to visually check what buttons are where probably isn't the target audience for a €230 machine packed with fast-paced arcade games. If you're playing Street Fighter and trying to locate buttons by eye before pressing them, you're kind of fucked.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Why wouldn't they at least put all the Street Fighter games on it? It just seems like a missed opportunity to at least make the value look a bit better.

And megalolz at the fact a team of people looked at that and went "Yes, this looks like a thing people will pay to put in their house. Let's go with this design. Immediately."