• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But seriously they aren't meaning "adult" as in "mature".
They are banking on three "adult" parameters based on the images:
  • Lack of play time of adults → play anywhere in tabletop mode
    The image is a busy adult in his hotel room with an impromptu play session (doesn't even have a TV set up).
  • Having played the games when young → nostalgia
    The image shows the adult on the right reminiscing playing the game as a teen next to (?) his girlfriend. He is the shaved head boy who's enthralled by the game in the flashback.
  • Adults that might be new to gaming in general → the Switch is trendy for everyone
    The image shows someone who see gaming ads but doesn't look like a typical gamer. The pensive woman on the right is the same as the woman looking at the ad in the center of the image. It has nothing to do with "otome games", it is simply juxtaposed with a "regular" corridor ad to show how "mainstream" gaming is becoming.

The images are a bit hard to read due to their use of juxtaposition of different angles without clear separation.

This is basically it, especially given Devil May Cry is in the packaging brand, which is targeted younger in Japan (despite the CERO ratings, it's often covered in children manga magazines in Japan). Though I do have to wonder how Capcom Japan felt about DmC, though, given... some of the stuff in that game that conflicted with their demographics for the series.

Something to note that Resident Evil had a really odd demographic in Japan when they initially launched in Japan. The manuals all had furigana, including the packaging for the first two games, which is an indicator the games are intended to be accessible to all ages. Resident Evil was also covered in kids magazines, such as Coro Coro Comics, which is a magazine often read by and targeted towards younger elementary school kids. Same magazine that Super Mario-kun, Ratchet & Clank, Pokemon, Splatoon, and such were all serialized in.

Having said that, I'm not entirely sure when they started gearing towards older, because even aspects of Resident Evil 3 and Code: Veronica still had goofy and "shounen" elements to it, so hard to say. Nowadays, it's targeted towards Teens and Adults, though.

But yeah. The above poster basically hits all the right notes here. There's a very good chance we could see stuff, much like DMC, that has a much broader target demographic, and not strictly Mature stuff. But it's largely capitalizing on nostalgia and for Adults who have a difficult time finding some time to being able to play these games.

Given public commutes in Japan can be several hours sometimes, it's a perfect way for some Adults to be able to play some of this stuff, so... Honestly, really good marketing strategy.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Talking of masterpieces, can we get the Breath of Fire games on the Switch please ?
That's the only thing I want from Capcom anyway.

But of course they won't.

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Finally the definitive crossover :

Cadillacs & Dinosaurs X Lesbians.

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
Not lying: HD remaster of Tri-vanilla and I'm in.

Why the original over Ultimate though? Only benefit would be higher-quality assets but that'd only be for like a 1/3 of the game. I'd adore a proper definitive release of MH3U on Switch though. The Wii U version is awesome but felt slightly half finished with many textures (weapons, background objects) being left untouched. Plus they could get it maybe to 60fps locked or something, maybe even using the same MT Framework in MHGU since MH3U still used MT Framework Mobile.

zelig

Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Why the original over Ultimate though? Only benefit would be higher-quality assets but that'd only be for like a 1/3 of the game. I'd adore a proper definitive release of MH3U on Switch though. The Wii U version is awesome but felt slightly half finished with many textures (weapons, background objects) being left untouched. Plus they could get it maybe to 60fps locked or something, maybe even using the same MT Framework in MHGU since MH3U still used MT Framework Mobile.

This might be a weird opinion, but Tri vanilla felt more raw/pure of an experience 'thanks' to less options. Tri Ultimate gives you so many quest and equipment options that it quickly devolves into the unfortunate 'let's just gang up and hack'n slay the monster!'. Tri Vanilla is the last MH that imo required a more level-headed, careful approach even in the early game, with each new monster being a major road block to overcome.

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
This might be a weird opinion, but Tri vanilla felt more raw/pure of an experience 'thanks' to less options. Tri Ultimate gives you so many quest and equipment options that it quickly devolves into the unfortunate 'let's just gang up and hack'n slay the monster!'. Tri Vanilla is the last MH that imo required a more level-headed, careful approach even in the early game, with each new monster being a major road block to overcome.
Yeah it's weird.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
This might be a weird opinion, but Tri vanilla felt more raw/pure of an experience 'thanks' to less options. Tri Ultimate gives you so many quest and equipment options that it quickly devolves into the unfortunate 'let's just gang up and hack'n slay the monster!'.
Sooo... Monster Hunter as usual.

Oct 25, 2017
qYlUbM7.png

FYI, I kinda struggled making this bingo card and just started listing Capcom IP

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I think the most recent Strider game would be a good fit for Switch. I was also thinking about the two Bionic Commando Rearmed games as well, but I don't know if Capcom still have the code to port over.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
I don't think anyone would berate Capcom for being careful; however the perfomance of USF II, MH Ultimate and the Revelations games were the kickstarter for their port stance.

Ever since Revelations 1 and 2 we've gotten 0, REmake, 4, 5 and 6. I assume we'll get more eventually. (Companies will need to have smaller cashflows somewhere. Switch seems to fit the bill for better or worse)

DVCY201

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping it's Revelations 3 (unlikely), but it seems like they've shelved this sub-series considering Rev 2 was in 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.